Saturday’s racing is at Seoul with 12 races from 10:40 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens get proceedings under way with five of the twelve racing for the first time. Unusually we’ll take a chance on a first timer and (8) AUSTIN LEADER. He showed well in his trial when handy and running though the line well in a fast time on an admittedly wet track. 1200M can suit first up and if he brings that trial form to the races, he has every chance of a win on debut. Trials don’t always translate to the real thing though as was the case with (1) BULGEUN POKPUNG who barely scraped through qualifying after a strong of slow efforts. That led to him being sent off the longest but one shot on the board on debut on December 17th, but he defied that to come from off the pace for 3rd. The step up in trip should suit and a similar effort will see him in the finish. (2) MAGUMA has a 2nd place at this distance in a good time. Draw a line through his latest at 1300M when drawn widest because he gets a much better gate this time and comes down in weight. Returning to the debut makers and (7) K N GOLDEN KING and (9) YEONGWON FIGHTER look next best.
|Selections||(8) Austin Leader (1) Bulgeun Pokpung (2) Maguma (7) K N Golden King|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies. (11) RAON EMPIRE has a 3rd and a 2nd from two starts so far most recently over this distance on Christmas Day when handy and running on. She has a strong finish so the wide draw may not be a hindrance and while she has twice been a beaten favourite, it could be third time lucky here. (5) PEERLESS is the main danger. She has finished 3rd in both starts so far with the latest being at this distance on January 14th in a tight finish. It was a good time and from a good draw she can sit behind the speed and run on strong. Those two look a cut above the rest with (9) DAERYUN SIDAE the clear next best. That’s based on her latest effort on January 15th when stepped up to this trip for the first time and settling back and running on for 4th. (4) HERO GANGJA and (7) SKY TEN others who can potentially improve.
|Selections||(11) Raon Empire (5) Peerless (9) Daeryun Sidae (4) Hero Gangja|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens and it’s hard to look past (8) DAEWANG SOCKS. After a midfield finish on debut over 1000M when slowly away and running on he was on pace at start number two over this distance on Christmas Eve, having overcome the widest gate, and ultimately finished a very close 2nd to the favourite. Although he draws wide again, the smaller field should enable him to get an easier run and he will be difficult to get past. (9) GEUMBIT CHEONHA has shown progress over four starts so far with his best finish being his most recent when 3rd over 1300M on January 14th having settled back from a wide draw. He comes down slightly in the weights here and will be running on strongly again. (3) CHOEGANG HYEONMA is another seemingly on the right trajectory having improved on his second outing on January 8th, settling midfield and running on for 3rd, ahead of a couple of today’s rivals. He can aim to match or better that here. (7) SECRET WANGJA and (4) TUAREG NINE others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(8) Daewang Socks (9) Geumbit Cheonha (3) Choegang Hyeonma (7) Secret Wangja|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(4) MAGLE DAY was an improved 2nd at start number three over this distance on January 14th when handy to the lead and then running on well stopping the clock in a fast time. He draws well to be on or close to the pace again today and won’t need to improve much here in order to win. (8) RAON THE CHARLIE enters off back-to-back 3rd place finishes at 1200M and 1300M having settled back and run on both times. He has the fastest finish of all of these and will be coming home strong again here. (6) EFFEL TAP should be on pace from a good draw. Moon Se-young rode him on his best finish to date when 3rd at 1200M last October and he can go well in this company from the front. (5) THUNDER BRAVO is rarely too far away and comes up to this trip for the first time. (7) DONGBANG SAGI another in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Magle Day (8) Raon The Charlie (6) Effel Tap (5) Thunder Bravo|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) STRENGTH made all to get his maiden win at start number three over 1200M on January 14th, winning by as many as he pleased. It was an eye-catching performance and while he is up in class and slightly in trip today, he draws the same inside gate and it would be no surprise were he to repeat. (4) RAON AMERICAN is winless in five outings but got promoted to this class with a pair of runner-up finishes. He measured up well on his first try at this level when 4th over 1200M on January 15th and under a light weight again looks firmly in this. Another yet to win, in her case from eleven attempts, is (3) MORNING PEARL. She is very consistent though and has a 2nd and two 3rd place finishes among her latest four outings all at this class. She tends to settle back and run on, and it would be a surprise if she didn’t run into a place again here. (10) DESIRE TO WIN is another up in class following a maiden score, which came over 1400M on January 15th. The wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and she can be competitive. (9) SUNGAN TOUCH another in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Strength (4) Raon American (3) Morning Pearl (10) Desire To Win|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) PURGE DAY may be yet to win but shapes as a warm favourite here. Two starts back he overcame a wide draw and slow start to flash home for 2nd place in a fast time at class and distance and then from a similarly wide gate ran 4th over 1300M on his latest appearance on December 18th. He draws much better here and today can come out on top. (1) MAUIWAY was a good winner at class 6 level in November, making all over this distance in a fair time. He ran a creditable 5th of twelve on his first try at this class on Christmas Eve over 1300M and with a strong finish on him, can be in the mix here. (10) NEMO PRINCE is finding his way again and comes in off two solid efforts over 1300M and has placing claims here. (8) CONCORD QUEEN and (11) GULJAK SUN among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) Purge Day (1) Mauiway (10) Nemo Prince (8) Concord Queen|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) GRAY THOR enters off a class and distance 2nd in a very fast time on a wet track over class and distance on January 14th when settling midfield and running on well. Despite the draw, in this company he can be ridden a little closer a little earlier and while he does come up 2kg in the weights, he may take some beating. (8) MABAWI comes back in trip after tackling 1400M in each of his first three goes at this class, picking up a close 2nd along the way. He should be on or close to the speed here and should be going close. (7) HANGANG CHAMP also comes back in trip. He can mix his form but has run good times at this distance. He likes to settle off the pace and can be working home strong here. (9) BOLD AGAIN and (6) GLOBAL MAGIC, the latter who beat Hangang Champ when 3rd at 1400M a month ago, are among others to consider.
|Selections||(10) Gray Thor (8) Mabawi (7) Hangang Champ (9) Bold Again|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) GRAND STAR was a winner at this class over 1700M on January 14th when he sat handy to the speed and ran n strongly. Like all but one of these he tackles the mile for the first time and while drawing outside is not ideal, he could have enough about him to win again. (8) GEUMA CHIC is yet to win in ten attempts but comes into consideration here following a good 4th over 1400M in January when settling right back and running on. The way she has finished off her races suggests the extended trip may suit and she can get closer here. (7) HIDDEN BRAIN won on debut over 1300M at class 6 level in December before weakening having led on his first try at this class when favourite on January 8th. He comes up in trip today but should be able to get on to the speed and this time be in it a bit further. The form drops off after those three with (4) GEUMSEONG SEGYE and (2) SAEBYEOK BAND ones who could perhaps arrest their respective recent slumps.
|Selections||(9) Grand Star (8) Geuma Chic (7) Hidden Brain (4) Geumseong Segye|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) VIKING HEART has been knocking at the door across four starts at this level all over 1800M and finishing between 3rd and 5th. He is a winner over this distance, he carries a light weight and from a good gate should be on the speed and is the one to beat. (6) ADELE MUSTANG was a good winner over a mile two starts back at class 5 level before running 5th on his first try at this class on January 8th when overcoming a wide draw to sit handy. He gets a better gate today and under a similarly light weight, can be competitive here. (9) FOREVER KHAN was 2nd at class and distance two starts back and while he could only manage 8th of twelve on his most recent outing in a valuable race on December 18th, the margins weren’t huge, and he still beat a couple of today’s rivals. He should be on pace and in this a long way. (12) EAGLE POINT and (7) CURRERECUS other potentials.
|Selections||(3) Viking Heart (6) Adele Mustang (9) Forever Khan (12) Eagle Point|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) NAOL SNIPER won three races in a row between August and October, the last of which was at this class over 1400M. He then went down to Busan for the Breeders’ Cup champion juvenile race on December 4th and overcame a wide draw to run a solid 4th of sixteen. He has had a couple of months off and comes up to the Derby distance of 1800M to kick off his three-year-old campaign. Tactically versatile, Moon Se-young climbs back aboard, and he will be a heavy favourite. (8) TITAN SOCKS beat a couple of these when coming from well off the pace to run 2nd at class and distance on January 14th. Although he has also been successful racing from the front, he has tended to go back of late and can do the same and challenge late again here. (11) BURUI SINHWA won back-to-back races in November and December to get rapidly promoted to this class. He then ran 3rd, just a neck behind Titan Socks, at class and distance on January 8th. Today’s handicap conditions see him meet Titan Socks better at the weights and it would be no surprise if he overturned the form here. (1) CHEONGSANG YEONGUNG and (6) HWARANG TODAY among other placing chances.
|Selections||(3) Naol Sniper (8) Titan Socks (11) Burui Sinhwa (1) Cheongsang Yeongung|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(9) RACE WINNER has proven aptly named so far as she is two for two having scored twice at 1000M at class 4 level. She comes up in class and in trip here as well as facing males for the first time. Nevertheless, those wins were eye-catching, she looks to have plenty of scope for development, and she can lead all the way again here. (10) WHITE QUEEN comes back in trip following a good 3rd place over 1400M on January 7th. She even wider that day and sad handy before running on. Two starts back she was 2nd at this class and distance and she can be a danger. So too can (2) THIS CHALLENGE. He was 4th in that January 7th race continuing a very solid run of form that has seen him make the top four in nine of fourteen starts. From a good draw and under a light weight, he should be there or thereabouts again. (7) MOONHAK SHEBA comes back in trip following recent efforts at 1400M, the latter two at class 2 level where he recorded a 3rd place among opposition stronger than he faces today. Accordingly, he is up in the weights, but will be a danger. The up in class last start winner (8) BEST CHEONSANG another in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Race Winner (10) White Queen (2) This Challenge (7) Moonhak Sheba|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 12: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A competitive race to conclude. (3) DOKKI BULPAE was rapidly promoted to this level having won his first two starts in fine style at 1000M and 1200M. He was favourite for his first try at class and distance on January 7th and while he led into the straight, he weakened for 4th. He should have come on for that experience and can get back to winning ways here. (2) KWAEHYANG finished up his juvenile season with a 2nd and a 4th in two Listed races over 1200M and then ran 5th in the Breeders’ Cup champion juvenile race at Busan on December 4th, having finished strongly. He has had a couple of months off and makes his three-year-old debut down in the weights, nicely drawn and able to win. (6) ALEXANDER ONE remains winless but hasn’t been too far away and enters off a class and distance 4th in a very fast race a month ago. He comes up n trip here and it can suit. (4) MIGHTY KICK and (1) HYPER CAR among others to keep safe.
|Selections||(3) Dokki Bulpae (2) Kwaehyang (6) Alexander One (4) Mighty Kick|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 12|