Sunday sees cards at both Seoul (11 races from 10:40 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 11:05 to 15:40).Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens in the opener with five of the twelve racing for the first time. Having won a trail, (1) CHOEGANG HYEONMA was sent off as favourite over this distance on debut back in October but having drawn the widest gate, he never really found a run and ultimately finished in 5th. Nevertheless, there was nothing particularly wrong with the run and from a much better draw, he won’t need to improve much to win this. The others with experience haven’t offered much so it’s to the first timers that we look for danger. (2) FEDERAL PRESS ran on strongly for cross the line 2nd in his heat having emerged from gate eleven. The he finished off suggests 1200M can suit first up and he draws well. (10) FIRST USER clocked the fastest time of the debut-makers and that brings him into contention. (12) GLOBAL JINGYEOK actually won his heat, albeit in a slow time and he too warrants consideration. Returning to experience, (8) THE ROCK SUNSHINE looks the most likely to improve.
|Selections||(1) Choegang Hyeonma (2) Federal Press (10) First User (12) Global Jingyeok|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens with four of the twelve racing for the first time. There are three standouts, and they all have experience. Without a huge amount of confidence, we’ll side with (4) JEONGMUN SPECTER. His one run to date was back in August when he led over 1000M, ultimately finishing 4th in a fair time. He was given an easy time in a December trial, and he draws well here. He can win first-up. (8) MIRACLE ONE looks to be the danger. He finished 4th on debut over 1000M on November 11th running on well. The additional furlong can suit, and he has every chance. (12) SUCCESS MOCCA dead-heated for 3rd on his debut at 1000M on November 4th when handy throughout. He draws wide but with a touch of luck at the start to find a position, he is in this. Of the first-time starters, (3) HANEUL BULPAE and (7) GOOD MAGIC look the most probable to make an immediate impact.
|Selections||(4) Jeongmun Specter (8) Miracle One (12) Success Mocca (3) Haneul Bulpae|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
More maiden three-year-olds. (2) KKUMUI SUNGAN shapes as the one to beat based on a quick debut on November 6th over 1000M when settling midfield and running on. With some natural improvement here, has every chance. (4) GEUMSEONG SIDAE ran 4th behind Kkumui Sungan in November and then went even faster when finishing 2nd over the five furlongs at start number three on December 4th. He has handy throughout and it’s not impossible that he could overturn the form today. (1) NAOL SIDAE was perhaps not ready and suffered an injury when debuting last July. He was put away after that but reappeared in a trial at the start of December looking sharp and fast. He draws well on the inside and can be on the pace and in this a long way. (9) ARGO GONGJU and (7) WONDERFUL TIZZY among others in the hunt in a competitive race.
|Selections||(2) Kkumui Sungan (4) Geumseong Sidae (1) Naol Sidae (9) Argo Gongju|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maiden fillies and mares. (4) MYEONGSEONG CHARGE will be the favourite, and a short one at that. This will be her eighth start and she has managed six top-five finishes. She comes in off a 3rd place over this distance on November 25th having led for most of the way and finished in a fast time. She should have too much. (7) STORM AGAIN also has six top-fives in her record, in her case from eight prior starts. She comes up in trip having run on strongly for 3rd last time out and while she comes up in weight too, she can offer a stern test. (6) GOLDEN RACER and (10) TWOTWO FLYING came home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced each over at 1200M on December 9th. Both should be in at least the placing fame today. (12) DUBAI PYEONGJEONG another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Myeongseong Charge (7) Storm Again (6) Golden Racer (10) Twotwo Flying|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Fillies and mares only for this maiden. (1) GOLDEN LUCKY has steadily improved across four starts so far, culminating in a 2nd place over 1200M on December 4th when she was handy throughout. She stays at almost the same weight, draws inside and the additional half furlong can see her home on top. (12) CUPID CHAMP is the main danger. She has finished 2nd and 5th in two outings to date, both at 1000M and both in fast times. She comes up in trip by a furlong and a half but that shouldn’t be a problem with the only downside being the wide draw. If she can find a good position, she can win. There is a solitary debut-maker. (4) HANGAWI SEONMUL went through two trials in December improving in the second of them. This is a great race to start off in and from a good draw and some natural improvement out of the trials, a bold showing could be in store. (9) BLUE KAISER and (2) WIDAEHAN HANMA are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Golden Lucky (12) Cupid Champ (4) Hangawi Seonmul (9) Blue Kaiser|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 11, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Tricky race. (6) PISTOL STAR got a long way back after a troubled start in the Breeders’ Cup champion juvenile race on December 4th and although he made good late ground, he ran out of track and finished in 8th place. He has raced over 1800M so he won’t be surprised by anything here and it wasn’t a hugely strong field, he may win. (9) ADELE ALLIE’S also remains a maiden but there are grounds to be optimistic on his first try around two turns. He comes in having run 2nd and 3rd in his latest two over 1300M, finishing off well and it may just suit. (4) NEW CROWN got his solitary win at class and distance three starts back in October, beating a couple of today’s rivals. The time was slow, but he has gone faster and warrants respect here. (10) MONEY CASE and (5) O.K. THUNDER among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Pistol Star (9) Adele Allie’s (4) New Crown (10) Money Case|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(3) BAEKDU BOY is clear favourite to breakthrough here. He had been posting good times at 1000M and then stepped up to this distance on November 19th and ran 2nd, well beaten by a good winner but stopping the clock faster than any of the others here who have tackled 1200M. He draws well to be on pace or handy and may take some beating. (4) GOOD SIMON hinted at some ability at start number three, when running on for 4th. She comes up in trip for the first time and the way she has finished off her races suggests it is about time. (1) EXPECT ran fairly from a wide gate over this distance on debut in November. The draw is better here and with some natural improvement for that experience, he can be expected to get closer. (5) FOUR ACE and (11) WHITE WITCH others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(3) Baekdu Boy (4) Good Simon (1) Expect (5) Four Ace|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(9) LANE KILLER returned from eight months out on December 18th and ran a creditable 6th of eleven at class and distance. He has won over 1800M before and should strip fitter for that performance. He can return to winning ways here. (10) WONDERFUL WORLD comes in following a smart win at this class distance on December 11th when settling back and running on, leaving a couple of today’s rivals back down the track. He joins Lane Killer at tope weights and could prove the main danger. (12) WIND WINNER came up in class after a 3rd and a 2nd at 1800M in September and October. He showed he can fit in at this level with 4th over a mile at his latest outing and despite the wide draw, he can go close here. (7) LIGHT STORY and (5) GREAT DANCE among others who can be competitive.
|Selections||(9) Lane Killer (10) Wonderful World (12) Wind Winner (7) Light Story|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) RAON THE QUALITY finally showed a bit of it when getting her maiden win at start number four with a blitzing win in a fast time over 1200M on December 3rd. She comes up in class here but that shouldn’t be an issue and the “full” sister to Group race winning filly Raon The Spurt can win again today. She is though just one of four who are up in class following last start wins. (10) SECRET PLAY also made his breakthrough at start four over this distance and comes up in class. He settled right back and then ran on so the wide draw shouldn’t be a hindrance and he can go well in this company. The draw may not be quite so ideal for (11) GLOBAL KANGTA. His maiden arrived at start five and he was on pace throughout. He has run on well from behind though so a place shouldn’t be beyond him. (8) BIG SMART completes the up in class quartet in the top four with (7) GO GO STAR possibly the best of those who already have class 5 experience.
|Selections||(9) Raon The Quality (10) Secret Play (11) Global Kangta (8) Big Smart|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) CHOICE RUN had a torrid time from gate sixteen in the Breeders’ Cup Champion Juvenile race over 1400M on December 4th. Draw a line through that and instead go on his previous effort, a 4th place finish in the Listed Gimhae Mayor’s Trophy in November and on pace win at class 5. From a much kinder draw and in more amenable company, he should go much better today. The logical main danger is (2) RAP VERSA. A smart all the way winner over this distance at class 5 level in October, he worked hard to get to the front from a wide draw on his first try at this class on November 18th. He finished a creditable 5th and could get an easier run from a better gate today. This looks a more suitable assignment for (1) FLYING REGAL than his most recent task, which was a shy at the stumps in a valuable Trophy race over a mile. He has a light weight, a good draw, and a fair chance. (9) JATNAMUGIL and (12) HALLA NURI are also capable of competing for the money on their day.
|Selections||(6) Choice Run (2) Rap Versa (1) Flying Regal (9) Jatnamugil|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Having made all in a November trial, (3) HIDDEN BRAIN did precisely the same on her debut over 1300M on December 11th, winning well in a good time. She comes up in class here but at the same distance and under even less weight from a good gate, she will be backed strongly to repeat. (6) NEMO PRINCE was a good class and distance 3rd on December 10th when handy and running on. He is up a little in the weights but could offer some value at a potential each-way price. (8) MORNING PEARL is yet to win but is a consistent type with eight top-four finishes from ten starts. She likes to settle back and run on and while she may find one or two too quick again, she should there or thereabouts. (12) LAROMANEE was a touch disappointing at her last start at class and distance but on previous form is worth another chance. She has the fastest time of any of these for the distance. (9) GEUMA ALLURE another in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Hidden Brain (6) Nemo Prince (8) Morning Pearl (12) Laromanee|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 10, 11, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) MILLION BANK comes up in class having won both starts since returning from a six-month absence. His latest was at this distance on November 27th when he sat handy and ran on strongly in a fast time. He is very nicely weighted and while this is a sterner examination, he may well come through it. Eight of these raced one another over 1200M at this class on December 4th. (6) OREUDA was favourite that day, but he was slowly away and from then on, was always playing catch-up, ultimately finishing 3rd. Faith is kept with the apprentice jockey who rode him that day meaning the weight is low, he has won at the distance before, and he may well start as the favourite. (3) ACE KILLER came home in 2nd place in that race having settled midfield and run on. That day as now, he was racing out of class but don’t rule out a repeat. (5) GREAT BOSS carries his fair share of weight but has plenty of ability and can be in the hunt. (10) SKY MORE drops back in trip but is in form and can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(8) Million Bank (6) Oreuda (3) Ace Killer (5) Great Boss|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A competitive race. We’ll go with (1) WONPYEONG KILLAR, who is yet to break through and is up in the weights under today’s conditions. He does though come up in trip, something that he may well have been looking for and from a good gate, he may be able to dictate. (9) K N TIZWON also comes in winless but with perhaps his best chance to date. Since coming up to 1700M he has put in three very solid performance, including a 2nd place last time when coming right from the back of the field. The concern is if he leaves himself too much to do again, but a win doesn’t seem far off. (4) GOLD SPIKE has plenty of experience but comes up to this trip for the first time. She finished off very well for 3rd over 1400M last time out and could be ready for a crack at two-turns. (11) CHEONSONGI and (12) NAEGILUI BYEOL among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Wonpyeong Killar (9) K N Tizwon (4) Gold Spike (11) Cheonsongi|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(12) CHOEGO BLACK was sent off as favourite on December 4th over 1600M but came up short to the tune of five-lengths behind a 60/1 outsider. Those mile races can be tricky though and coming up to two turns proper here, despite carrying an additional 3kg and drawing the widest gate, this is not a strong set of rivals, and he is the one to beat. (10) NUBI GANGJA has won at this distance and enters in fair form following a 3rd place at class and distance in November and can be considered a place chance. (2) SUPER ECTON was 4th behind Choego Black in that December 4th race and from a good draw, can sit off the speed and challenge late here. (4) THANK YOU DAECHEON and (9) SISEONJIPJUNG are others who can aim for places but it’s hard to see them beating the favourite.
|Selections||(12) Choego Black (10) Nubi Gangja (2) Super Ecton (4) Thank You Daecheon|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(6) GLOBAL YEONGUNG enters off a solid class and distance 2nd place on November 26th when settling midfield and finishing strongly albeit four-lengths behind good winner Double Edge. He comes in here under the same weight and a similar showing will put him right in the finish again. (2) ROYAL ROAD returned to winning ways over 1200M at this class at the end of November. He can run at this distance too as evidence by his 2nd place two starts back when going right back and running on. He does come up 5kg in the weights from his last start but shouldn’t be ruled out. (1) COOL PRINCESS is the probable pacesetter. She was 6th in her first try at this class on December 4th but the margins were not big and the time was good. From the inside gate she may get an easier early run here. That can allow her to overturn the form on (11) HAEDEULMOE. He was 5th in that December race, which followed a 2nd place at the start prior. The wide draw shouldn’t be an issue as he can settle midfield and finish strongly. The up in class (5) WONDERFUL DEVIL potentially another in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Global Yeongung (2) Royal Road (1) Cool Princess (11) Haedeulmoe|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(4) SOUL MERIT returned to winning ways in fine style at class and distance on November 20th sitting handy until the home straight and them romping home for an easy win. The lightly raced six-year-old has been a consistent high performer and under today’s handicap conditions he should haver too much for this lot at what is essentially level or better weights. Those conditions also suit (1) THE GUMPU, whose latest two outings don’t reflect his ability. He goes best when on pace and the inside draw gives him an excellent opportunity to return to form. (3) HEUNGROK DAEBU comes up in class but down in weight after a strong 2nd place at this distance on November 27th. He can measure up at this level. (11) GANGTOMA and his big rating is why the others, including Soul Merit, get to carry a light weight. He has a strong finish on him and while he is at a disadvantage, don’t rule him completely out of the money. (7) MIGHTY WHO is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Soul Merit (1) The Gumpu (3) Heungrok Daebu (11) Gangtoma|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 11: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) GLOBAL BOBAE won three races in a row at this distance between July and October, the last of which was at this class. He stepped up to 1400M for his most recent outing in November and after starting slowly and settling back, ran home in 5th. He carries plenty of weight here but comes down in trip, draws well, and can return to winning ways. (10) HIGH RUNNER came home in 4th place in her first try at this class on December 3rd. She is another who may appreciate the drop in trip, and she comes in under a light weight. (2) EUNSEONG MARU was 2nd to Global Bobae at class and distance in October. She mixes her form but she has the fastest time of any of these for the distance and shouldn’t be ruled out here. (1) MJ POINT and (9) ANYANG HORANGI others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(3) Global Bobae (10) High Runner (2) Eunseong Maru (1) MJ Point|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 10|