Korea Sprint winner Eoma Eoma returns to action on Sunday having traveled down to Busan to tackle the Listed Kookje Shinmun Trophy over 1400M. That’s the final race on a 6-race card at Busan which runs from 12:15 to 16:40 while there are 11-races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Imported Juvenile fillies with just two of the eight having raced before and anything could win. We’ll side with experience though and (7) ACCOUNT, who has raced twice already. After an inauspicious debut over 1200M in August, she looked more assured when 5th of eight in a fair time in a similar race to this on October 2nd, settling back and running on. With some natural progression here, that experience should stand her in good stead. Pick of the first timers is (3) WINNER CALL. The most expensive of these at auction in the US (although hardly sale-topping at $50K), she was on pace in her trial and stopped the clock in a fair time. She draws nicely and looks set for a bold showing. (1) T.C. FAMILY is the other one who has raced before, and she ran 6th to Account’s 5th in that October 2nd race. She was on pace but weakened late on. She should have derived benefit from that and draws very well to lead again and be in things much longer. Returning to the debut-makers (2) LOTUSMIREU and (6) RACE WINNER look the next best.
|Selections||(7) Account (3) Winner Call (1) T.C. Family (2) Lotusmireu|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens with seven of the eleven racing for the first time. Unusually we are going against the experience and siding with debut-maker (8) BEST SUN. That’s on the strength of a string of three trials since May this year where he has been showing more ability each time, culminating in crossing the line 2nd behind the experienced Beolmal Daejang in a good time in heat on October 7th. If he brings that form to the races, he will win. (11) GWANGCHIGI led for much of his debut back in July, ultimately running 4th. He reappears here without having trialed, but that showing, and the apprentice claim today, is enough to keep him safe. (9) UNICORN KINGDOM has raced twice, posting a good time on his second start on September 3rd. He can continue to make progress here. (5) BLUE ARCH can improve on his debut performance when running 7th. Returning to the first timers, (2) GEUMBIT CHEONHA came through a very slow trial but did what he needed to do and could go well.
|Selections||(8) Best Sun (11) Gwangchigi (9) Unicorn Kingdom (5) Blue Arch|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile filly maidens with nine of the twelve racing for the first time. Some of the experience is good though and (9) GLORY K will be favourite. Having trialed well, she was 2nd on debut on October 1st, when handy throughout and running on well. That experience should stand her in good stead here and she is the one to beat. (8) WONDERFUL WEEK debuted in the same race. She sat midfield and then ran on 4th, not too far in arrears and she too should have benefited from the run. Pick of the newbies is (3) PHOENIX SERVE. She made all to win her trial in a good time on September 30th and is well drawn to get on pace and be in this along way. Another trial winner is (7) DORIPO. The time was a little slower than that of Phoenix Serve, but she looked competent enough, settling handy and running on. (6) HERO QUEEN another who hinted at ability in trials. As ever with these kinds of races, watch the market for any clues.
|Selections||(9) Glory K (8) Wonderful Week (3) Phoenix Serve (7) Doripo|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) MIGHTY STORM will be hot favourite to prevail here. His best finish so far was 3rd two starts back over 1200M and comes in here having beaten a couple of today’s rivals on his way to 5th place in a fast race over 1300M on October 2nd. He tackles seven-furlongs for the first time, and it can suit. (8) SPECIAL FACT similarly beat some of these when 4th at this distance on September 30th. The time was fair, and she should be aiming to at least match her best finish of 3rd today. (4) MORNING MUSE was 5th in that race behind Special Fact. There was very little between them that day and that could prove to be the case again this time. (6) YEONSEUNG GO hasn’t shown much in two starts over 1000M but the increase in trip may be beneficial and the jockey booking suggests improvement is possible. (9) NAREUCAT, disappointing behind Special Fact and Morning Muse last time out, can be given another chance for the minor money here.
|Selections||(7) Mighty Storm (8) Special Fact (4) Morning Muse (6) Yeonseung Go|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) JILJU DAESE will be a warm favourite here, having run a good 2nd on her debut at this distance on October 2nd when settling midfield and finishing well. In this company expect her to be on pace and she should be winning. (8) CHOEGANG MIRAE made his only start in April but finished last. He has since moved to Tony Castanheira and looked very well when winning a trial with an on-pace performance last week. So long as he didn’t leave his race in the heat, he should be a very different prospect to the last time we saw him. (2) BEST PLAN enters off her best result in eleven starts, when 3rd over this distance on October 1st. She has the best time among these for the distance – recorded that day – and from a good draw can be close again. (9) P N S HER and (12) GRACE LEE among others who can enter at least the placing calculations.
|Selections||(7) Jilju Daese (8) Choegang Mirae (2) Best Plan (9) P N S Her|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Wildly competitive handicap for fillies (and one mare) with plenty of winning chances. (9) HONOR CAL was an all the way winner at start number two over 1200M on September 25th to get his maiden win. He comes up in class and up slightly in trip here but while his draw is not ideal, he perhaps enough early speed to see himself to a good position and he can win again. So too can (12) HANSEN COD GIRL She is even less favoured by the draw but has shown good speed in her two outings to date; a 3rd place and win at class 6 level. She too is up in trip as well and while she may need a bit of luck at the start position-wise, she should be very competitive. (7) BLUE CARSON is yet to win in fifteen attempts but has five top-three finishes, including her latest when handy all the way and 3rd over 1200M. Expect her in the mix once more. (4) LOUD COLOR and (10) TWO OF US come in having run 3rd and 4th respectively when they faced each other in a similar race at this class over 1200M on September 25th. Both can be competitive again.
|Selections||(9) Honor Cal (12) Hansen Cod Girl (7) Blue Carson (4) Loud Color|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) GO GO STAR took nineteen goes to get her maiden win, which came at class and distance in July, but she has maintained her form since with a 4th and a 3rd in two subsequent outings, last time beating a couple of today’s rivals when coming from off the pace in a good time. She has the fastest time of any of these for the distance, an apprentice means she comes in carrying 2kg less than she did last start and she draws very well. There is plenty to like. If she may have peaked there are a couple of up and comers who may be preferred. (11) FLY STAR has five top-five finishes from seven starts and enters off a good class and distance 3rd last time out. She doesn’t need to lead and with a bit of luck at the start can find a good position and run on. So too (10) KINGS EYE, who comes up in class following his maiden win at start number five over 1300M on September 18th. He led for most of that race but has run well from behind too and has a fast final furlong average time. (6) NEW STAR YEONGCHEON mixes his form but goes well on his day and Munro aboard is a plus. (4) RAON THE WILD another in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Go Go Star (11) Fly Star (10) Kings Eye (6) New Star Yeongcheon|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(4) WIND WINNER comes in off the back off three consecutive 3rd place finishes at this class, most recently at this distance on September 30th when settling just behind the leaders and running on well, beating three of today’s rivals in the process. He carries the same weight today, draws nicely, and has solid claims. (7) PISTOL STAR comes up in class and significantly in distance following back-to-back runner-up finishes at 1000M and 1200M. It’s a bold move but he ran on well after overcoming gate twelve on his latest effort on October 2nd, and it could pay off. (8) SMILEY LARRY is also yet to win but ran pleasingly enough on his first try at this class on September 23rd when 4th over a mile having raced handy. Expect similar tactics today and he can be in the finish. (9) SUNSHINE STAR and the up in class (2) STAR MATTA among others who may be considered for the places.
|Selections||(4) Wind Winner (7) Pistol Star (8) Smiley Larry (9) Sunshine Star|
|Next Best||2, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) HWARANG TODAY comes up in class having landed his maiden win on his third outing on October 2nd when settling back and then running on strong. He comes up in class but drops slightly in weight and he draws well. He has every chance of making it two in a row. (10) EUNPA MOUNTAIN is worthy of second pick based on his last start 3rd at this class over 1300M when he went back before finishing strongly. His win came when getting on pace from a wide gate so he is tactically versatile and with a good apprentice keeping his weight low, he can be a contender. (8) HANEUL A also remains low in the weights under an apprentice. She is yet to win but has posted good times at the distance and looks a place line here. (1) GLOBAL PRIME and (5) INNER PEACE are others who can compete for at least the minor money.
|Selections||(3) Hwarang Today (10) Eunpa Mountain (8) Haneul A (1) Global Prime|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) HANEUL JEONSA is the likely favourite here having won at this class over a mile two starts back and then last start running 2nd at this distance. He can race forward or settle midfield and while he carries his fair share of weight, he is the one to beat. (11) CHAMP GO is up in class having won two of his last three including his latest on September 30th when on pace all the way, he scored by six-lengths at this distance. Despite the class rise, he only comes down 1kg in the weights and he has the challenge of a wide barrier, but he is race fit and in form. (1) MAHAMERU has solid form behind him and came up in class last start to run 3rd over a mile, settling right back and then running on. Previously she has preferred to race forward and is nicely drawn to give her jockey options. This is her first time beyond a mile and the set weight conditions mean she carries more than last time but she can be competitive again. (12) KING GRACE and the rapidly up in class and distance juvenile (10) BETELGEUSE are others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(7) Haneul Jeonsa (11) Champ Go (1) Mahameru (12) King Grace|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) NAOL SNIPER is rapidly up in class having won his latest two at 1000M and 1300M, leading all the way in the first of them and then settling midfield and running on in the latter. He set good times and while he comes up slightly in trip, the way he finished off last time suggests it won’t be a problem and down in the weights, he can win again. (7) GEUMSEONG CROWN is also up swiftly in class having won two of his latest three in including an emphatic score over 1300M last time out on September 3rd when he sat handy before taking things up in the home straight and running away from the field. (6) DREAM SPEED doesn’t win out of turn but has placed more than once at this class and comes back in trip today to a distance at which she has run some good times. She’ll sit handy here and can place again. (10) CHOEGO BLACK and (8) SEONGSIL MONEY among plenty of others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(9) Naol Sniper (7) Geumseong Crown (6) Dream Speed (10) Choego Black|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(6) JEONGMUN DRAGON is lightly raced compared to his rivals here and he is an improving type who has won twice and is yet to finish outside of the top-five. He has solid 1200M form and while he comes up in class here, he is significantly down in weight. This will be his first start beyond six-furlongs, but he should be more than equal to the task. (5) BEAUTIFUL KING has good form at this class and registered 2nd and 3rd places over this distance in July and August when on pace both times. He draws well to get on the speed again and can go close. (10) CHEONGDAM DRIVE is ultra-consistent with fourteen top-four finishes. He comes up in class here following a runner-up placing over this distance in a good time a month ago, but he comes down a full 6kg in the weights which should help his chances. He tends to sit midfield and run on so the draw shouldn’t be too much of a disadvantage. (3) B J MISS and (9) RAON THE POWER are among others worth thought.
|Selections||(6) Jeongmun Dragon (5) Beautiful King (10) Cheongdam Drive (3) B J Miss|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) ICE STAR has come close in three starts at this level since a good win over 1300M at class 5 in June. At his latest outing on September 25th, he came from midfield to run on for 4th place ahead of a couple of today’s rivals and while he does come up 2kg from that, it’s balanced somewhat by a better draw, and he can win here. (3) MABAWI comes up in class following two runner-up finishes from his latest three, both over 1300M. His solitary win came when leading all the way and he draws beautifully to get to the lead here. He is significantly down in weight and can measure up in this company. (5) HWA SSI BYEOK was 5th behind Ice Star in that September 25th race. He has a runner-up finish to his name at class and distance and while he has a slight tendency to leave himself a bit too much to do, he will be running on strong in the closing stages again here. (8) BOOSTER ROCKET, a last start runner-up over 1300M, and (10) HANGANG CHAMP are among others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(2) Ice Star (3) Mabawi (5) Hwa Ssi Byeok (8) Booster Rocket|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1400M) Kookje Shinmun Trophy (Listed) Weight for Age / KRW 300 Million
(5) EOMA EOMA come sin having won the International G3 Korea Sprint in Seoul on September 4th over 1200M. He comes back up to 1400M but that is a distance at which he previously held the Seoul track record so it shouldn’t be a concern. He draws well and should have too much for this field. (8) DAEHAN JILJU is an up-and-comer who has won five times over this distance. He was running on strong in the Korea Sprint where he got up late to snatch 4th place away from Hong Kong’s Computer Patch. Back to 1400M is in his favour and he seems the most likely to pose a problem for the favourite. (7) SUCCESS MACHO has been racing at further distances, but he has won at today’s trip in the past. His only defeats have come in Graded races and a big run can’t be ruled out here. (9) DAEMANGUI GIL is a two-time class 1 winner at this distance including his latest when he settled midfield and ran in wide. This is a tougher test, but he can be in the mix. (6) SSONSAL is a high-class galloper who looks to be getting back into form.
|Selections||(5) Eoma Eoma (8) Daehan Jilju (7) Success Macho (9) Daemangui Gil|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(7) HATMURI gets the nod here. He got his maiden win at start five back in March and then had four months off. Since coming back, he has a 2nd and a 3rd to his name, the latter his first try at this distance on September 4th when he beat a couple of these. He settled right back that day and then ran on and while he carries plenty of weight, could well have too much here. Five of these raced one another at class and distance on October 1st. (9) BYEORAK ran 4th that day, sitting close to the leaders throughout and wasn’t far away in a tight finish, He can get close again here. That may mean overturning the form on (2) FEDERAL CAT, who defied big odds to run the best of those five in the October 1st race when overcoming gate nine to sit handy and run on well for 3rd. He can warrant more respect here. (1) EAGLE POINT comes up significantly in trip following a win over 1200M on October 1st. He came from well off the pace that day so superficially at least, the longer trip may suit. (11) NAMSAN HORANGI another in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Hatmuri (9) Byeorak (2) Federal Cat (1) Eagle Point|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(2) BYEOLUI SUNGAN will be the one to beat here. He ran 5th in the KRA Cup Mile before finishing down the field in the Korean Derby but returned to winning ways when back in shallower waters over 1400M at class 4 level in July. He ran 3rd on his first try at this class over 1800M on September 18th, and he can win here. That will mean overturning the form on (8) YAHO GOLDEN CAT who won that race having sat behind the leaders and then run on strongly. He comes up a full 4kg in the weights but shouldn’t be discounted. (6) MANSE doesn’t win out of turn but has placed regularly of late including at this distance and a mile in his most recent two. He comes up in class here but has the use of an apprentice claim which puts him on minimum weight and brings him into the picture. (4) JEONGMUN BOLT was a big winner at class and distance in July and then wen back to a sprint trip for a Trophy race on International Day. This should suit more, and he can be considered. (9) K N LIGHT another to consider.
|Selections||(2) Byeolui Sungan (8) Yaho Golden Cat (6) Manse (4) Jeongmun Bolt|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (2000M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
(3) GAROSUGIL beat plenty of these on his way to winning at class and distance last start on August 20th. He comes up 2kg in the weights but that is balanced by a better draw as he is capable of racing forward. He has a good chance of repeating in what is a tough race. (7) MIGHTY WHO has won at this class and distance, and he can have his latest start over 1800M on September 25th disregarded. Several of his rivals today beat him in that race, but he was resuming for the first time since April and should strip much fitter this time. (9) NORTHERN TIME is one of those who beat Mighty Who in that September 25th race. That was his first run at this class following a good 1800M at class 3 level in August. He needs to overcome an outer draw but should be firmly in the finish. (2) MUNHAK MOON comes up in class and down in weights and along with (5) BALVENIE, is another to consider.
|Selections||(3) Garosugil (7) Mighty Who (9) Northern Time (2) Munhak Moon|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|