No Stakes races but plenty of action at both Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 12:15 to 16:40). Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile filly maidens in the opener with six of the twelve racing for the first time. There are two standouts. The only one to have raced twice already is (4) TAKE MUSIC, who improved to 2nd place at start number two on September 24th in a fast time. She has led both outings so far, draws well to do so again and can win. (12) MAESTRA led on her debut on September 18th right up until the closing stages when passed by a couple. The only thing against her here is the wide draw, but if she can overcome that, then she has every chance. (10) COMPLETE ANGEL won a trial and then didn’t do too much wrong when finishing midfield on debut having shown on pace. She can improve. Here. A couple of the first timers caught the eye in their respective heats. (11) SEONGSIL TAEYANG and (3) YOUNGYOUNG SOCKS perhaps have the best chance of making an immediate impact.
|Selections||(4) Take Music (12) Maestra (10) Complete Angel (11) Seongsil Taeyang|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens. There is just one first-timer starter, but we’ll take a chance on (12) CHOEGANG HYEONMA. He was slow away in his latest trial but worked home very nicely to cross the line in front. Starting out at 1200M should suit, the draw shouldn’t be too important, and Moon Se-young is in the saddle. (9) WINNER YOUNG was a solid 2nd on debut over 1000M on September 17th, running on from midfield He may appreciate the step up in trip here and can be considered. (6) MONEY JANGGUN wasn’t fancied at all on debut but ran on strongly for 2nd place over 1000M and is another who can benefit from an additional furlong. (8) ARA MOA and (7) JANGHEUNG CLASS are others who finished off their respective debut races in good style and who can be considered for improvement.
|Selections||(12) Choegang Hyeonma (9) Winner Young (6) Money Janggun (8) Ara Moa|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Not the strongest of maidens. (3) BARAMUI GEOM has raced just three times with 5th places in his latest two, both over 1300M. In this company he can be expected to be on speed and with Moon Se-young climbing aboard, he will have plenty of backers. He perhaps has more potential for improvement than (7) MONEY STONE, who comes in having secured her best finish in eighteen starts when 2nd over 1300M on October 1st. It was only a narrow defeat, and she warrants respect here. (5) NOW NURI has the fastest time amongst these for the distance and while that isn’t saying much, that and a runner-up finish two starts back are enough to put her in the mix here. (8) HAMPYEONG FIGHTER and (2) TOGETHER WAY others in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(3) Baramui Geom (7) Money Stone (5) Now Nuri (8) Hampyeong Fighter|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens open on the South Coast with six of the twelve racing for the firs time. We’ll side with experience though and (12) I WILL THE STAR was a front-running 2nd on debut over this distance on September 23rd in a fast time. The draw is not ideal, but she can overcome it and can win. (2) NINE FORCE ONE has run twice, improving to 3rd place on her second outing. She draws very nicely here and looks to be the main danger. (5) MOTHER MOUNTAIN was a solid 3rd on debut in a fast time over this distance before being slowly away and finishing in midfield on her second start over 1200M on September 18th. She drew the widest gate that day, but the draw is kinder here and back to the minimum distance, she can go close. Among the first timers, (10) DIA BOSS and (4) CONFIDENT performed adequately in their trials and may go well first-up.
|Selections||(12) I Will The Star (2) Nine Force One (5) Mother Mountain (10) Dia Boss|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(6) MAGIC JUDE returned from eight months out in August and has since run 3rd and 4th in two starts back, both at this distance and both times on pace or handy. He can lead again here form a good gate and can go all the way. (1) MACH STAR sat right at the back from a wide draw on debut over this distance on September 25th before running on very well for 4th. She should have come on for that run and from a much better barrier this time can go even closer. (2) EFFEL TAP has run fairly for two 6th places both over 1000M. He too draws well this time and can be on pace and be in this a long way. (5) MIGHTY ANN was 5th behind Mach Star in that September 25th race, continuing a run of consistent form which has seen four top-five finishes from seven starts so far. She likes to settle on the speed or handy and can play a big part here. (7) SEMYEONG CAPTAIN among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Magic Jude (1) Mach Star (2) Effel Tap (5) Mighty Ann|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Tricky race. We’ll take a chance on (4) ZET CASH, who got sent back to trial following his latest outing a month ago but looked well when trialling up a coupled of weeks ago. He comes into a good gate here, Kim Hye-sun climbs aboard, and he could improve. (10) WIDAEHAN SEONTAEK comes in fresh having not raced since July. He managed four to-four finishes from four appearances before the layoff and can go well first-up here. (11) SEOGWI DAERO has the fastest time of any of these for the distance, achieved two starts back on her way to 5th when she beat a couple of these in the process. The wide draw is not ideal, but she can be competitive here. (5) PUNGAN JOHWA comes in off an improved – if slow – 4th at her latest start on October 7th. An apprentice keeps her weight light here and she can be competitive. (6) NAKDONG JEONSA is one who could potentially improve.
|Selections||(4) Zet Cash (10) Widaehan Seontaek (11) Seogwi Daero (5) Pungan Johwa|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) GOLD SPIKE ran 3rd at this distance in July and then a close 2nd on her latest appearance on September 17th when settling midfield and running on. She has the fastest time of any of these at the distance, carries a light weight and draws a good gate. (3) ECHO ZONE is up in class following a maiden win at the ninth time of asking over 1300M on September 25th. That win had been coming and while he only comes down 1kg in the weights, he comes into a good gate and can measure up in this company. (4) RUN BOY RUN will be expected to be on the early pace having drawn much better than last time when he was 3rd in a very tight finish over 1300M. He comes up significantly in the weights without an apprentice claim but that’s balanced by Moon Se-young being aboard and he can go close. (8) BLUE INDY and (9) KING SIMBA among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Gold Spike (3) Echo Zone (4) Run Boy Run (8) Blue Indy|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Plenty of speed here. (9) SPICE ECTON has a win, and two runner-up finishes from his three starts so far, most recently a narrow defeat at this class and distance on October 2nd when up with the pace throughout. He carries his fair share of weight here but has winning claims. (8) INSATIABLE returned from almost a year off to win over this distance at class 6 level on September 18th, racing handy throughout. She comes up in class but gets a slight reduction in weight, and she can measure up here. (5) BEST DUO was a gate-to-wire winner on debut over 1000M on September 3rd. He still looked full of running at the end of that so the raise in trip shouldn’t be an issue and he can win again. The up in class pair of (10) RELEASE EDITION and (6) DOCTOR PENTAGON are among plenty of others in the frame in a race of many chances.
|Selections||(9) Spice Ecton (8) Insatiable (5) Best Duo (10) Release Edition|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) GIANT INDY obliged when favourite over 1200M at start number two on September 25th, when he came from off the pace and ran on well. He comes up in class and in distance here but down slightly in the weights and he has solid claims again. (9) K N POST comes back down in trip after having a hard time from a wide draw over 1700M last time out. She has the fastest time of any of these over this distance, set when runner-up at this class three starts back and well weighted here, she will be running on strong and while yet to win, may start as favourite. (1) MUSTANG POWER comes back in trip following three goes around 1700M including his maiden win at class 6 level when making all. He draws well and can be competitive. (7) SURE WIN and (2) SAEBYEOK BAND are both up in class having registered maiden win on their respective latest outings and both can measure up in this company.
|Selections||(5) Giant Indy (9) K N Post (1) Mustang Power (7) Sure Win|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) ARCTURUS comes out of the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes, where he ran a solid enough 5th of none over the 1200M having previously made all over that same distance at class 6 level. This is his first try taking on a longer trip, but there is little to fear in this field and he can return to winning ways. (10) BRAVO HAMYANG is up in class following back-to-back runner-up finishes at 1300M and 1400M. He has been on pace on both occasions and despite the wide draw, under a light weight, he should be in this a long way again. (12) QUEEN OF HEARTS comes in with fair recent form including a 3rd place over 1400M two starts back and then a 5th at a mile last time out. She can get a bit far back in her races but under a light weight can be running on again here. (4) SUN MOUNTAIN has the fastest time of any of these and while he comes up 3.5kg on his win over 1300M on October 2nd at this class, that’s enough to bring him into the mix here. (5) YONGCHEON another in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Arcturus (10) Bravo Hamyang (12) Queen Of Hearts (4) Sun Mountain|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) WOLF PLAY dominated on debut over 1000M on August 13th, leading from gate to wire and stopping the clock in a fast time. He comes up in class and in distance here, but neither should be an issue and he can score again. (1) AMAZON KING was a class and distance winner two starts back on September 4th before trying to make all on his reappearance on October 1st but this time weakening. He draws well, Alan Munro climbs aboard, and he can be given another chance. (3) CHAMPION GAMUN can mix his form, but he comes in off a good 5th place at class and distance on September 25th. The same apprentice keeps the weight nice and low, and he can be in the finish here. (2) P N S GOLD enters off three consecutive 4th place finishes and can aim to match here while (4) DUSON DRIVE is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(7) Wolf Play (1) Amazon King (3) Champion Gamun (2) P N S Gold|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 7|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
We’ll take a chance on (6) CHEONGHO BOSS here. She is worth thought based on her last start runner up finish at class and distance when she crossed from a wide gate to settle behind the leaders and run on well, beating plenty of these in the process. That was her first run over 1400M and with a good barrier and a repeat of that run, she has a chance of going one better. (2) CAPTAIN GOLD is up in class with two consecutive runner-up finishes over 1300M. He likes to race forward and based upon the draw, and on the times he has recorded, he is a big chance here. So too is (3) UNJU OCEAN. He can race midfield or forward and has place at his latest two starts at class and distance, including 3rd behind Cheongho Boss on September 18th when he led. (1) GLORY KING is yet to race beyond 1200M but is a winner at this class and has quick times over the shorter trips. He has been running on in his races and that combined with an inside draw and an apprentice claim, all come together to bring him into the picture. (11) HWARANG BEST another in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Cheongho Boss (2) Captain Gold (3) Unju Ocean (1) Glory King|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (4) EUNHYE SERVE is up in class following a win and a runner-up finish both at this distance at class 5 level in July and August, both times sitting handy and running on in fast times. She has been back to trial since her latest race, and she looked very well when winning a heat at the end of September. She comes down in the weights and may take some beating. (12) RAON THE PEARL overcame a wide draw come from well off the pace and win over this distance on a fast time on September 25th. She comes up in class here, but her times suggest she can be competitive. (9) SOBERANIA was a class and distance winner two starts back and while she didn’t go well on her reappearance at the end of August, an apprentice helps bring her weight back down and she comes back into contention. (1) ANYANG HORANGI, who every now and then pulls a super run out of somewhere, and (6) LAST PUNCH are others in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Eunhye Serve (12) Raon The Pearl (9) Soberania (1) Anyang Horangi|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
(9) JESSIEUI KKUM was a winner over this distance at class 3 level in July, then a close-up 2nd and 5th at this class. He is versatile so the widest gate shouldn’t be a problem and he can return to winning ways here. (4) SO MUCH GO is a class and distance winner and comes in following a close 2nd, again at the class and distance, in front of Jessieui Kkum and a couple other of today’s rivals on October 2nd. He once more has the benefit of an apprentice claim and comes into a better gate. (6) MAN OF TOP is resuming here for the first time since April. The last time we saw him he was winning at class and distance when coming from off the pace and while he has the steadier of 58kg on his back and offered few clues in a trial earlier this month, he can be given a chance at an each-way price. (8) GALAXY ROAD is up in class and while not helped by the weight conditions today, he can be competitive. (7) QUATTRO MAX is the other logical one to challenge for the places.
|Selections||(9) Jessieui Kkum (4) So Much Go (6) Man Of Top (8) Galaxy Road|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) TROTTING RILEY comes in seeking a hat-trick of wins having scored twice over this distance at class 4 level, making all both times. He is up in class here and having come up significantly in rating, today’s handicap conditions do him no favours, but he won under 58kg from gate twelve last time and from the inside, he can win again today. (12) FOX POWER also comes up in class having won two of his last three, both at the distance and both in good times. He gets no luck with the draw, but he doesn’t need to lead as he can run on well, and he does get a 4kg break in the weights and will be in contention here. (2) FIGHTING DADDY looks to be coming back into form with a 5th and a 4th from his latest two, both at class and distance. An on-pace type he draws well and will provide testing material for Trotting Riley with both likely to seek the lead. It’s a good race and (9) BEST TIME and (8) HEUNG DREAM are others capable of challenging.
|Selections||(1) Trotting Riley (12) Fox Power (2) Fighting Daddy (9) Best Time|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) HOLIDAY CHARM won over 1700M at class 5 level four starts back and has performed well since with a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th in three subsequent starts at this level, beating three of today’s rivals on August 27th. He likes to settle back and run on and Jang Chu-youl can pick his spot from the inside gate. (7) TIZ BAROWS races for the first time since running 5th behind Holiday Charm on August 27th. He ran an excellent 4th in the Korean Derby in May and his only finish outside the top0five was a 6th place in the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the Triple Crown. He carries his fair share of weight here, but he’s seen deeper waters than this and is a big chance. (4) KING HONOR comes rapidly up in class having won his latest two at 1400M and 1600M to jump up two levels. The absence of an apprentice claim means that he comes up in the weights too, but he still has plenty of potential for further progress and can be competitive. (5) TITAN SOCKS and (10) VIKING HEART among plenty of others capable of at least placing.
|Selections||(1) Holiday Charm (7) Tiz Barows (4) King Honor (5) Titan Socks|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
A very competitive race to finish with. A winner of five from twelve, (4) SOUL MERIT ran 2nd over 1400M on his first try at regular class 1 racing on September 18th. He comes up 2kg in the weights and stretches out to two turns for the first time, but he can win here. (9) THE GUMPU is the big danger. He comes in off runner-up finishes in both his latest two, beating plenty of today’s rivals along the way. He only comes up 1kg in the weights and while he likes to be on pace, the draw shouldn’t be too problematic. Third-up he could be peaking. (8) NAMSANUI BYEOL ran 3rd to The Gumpu’s 2nd on October 2nd over 2000M. He is nicely in again here and should be kept safe. (6) JEONGMUN SAI, runner-up to Korea Cup winner Winner’s Man in the Herald Business this May, and (3) SUPER SOCKS are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Soul Merit (9) The Gumpu (8) Namsanui Byeol (6) Jeongmun Sai|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 9|