Plenty of action at both Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 12:15 to 16:40) on Sunday. Double Classic winner Hit Yegam goes at Busan while Complete Value, last year’s champion juvenile and one of the main players in this year’s Triple Crown series, lines up at Seoul. Both are looking to get back into form. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens to open proceedings with just two of the twelve racing for the first time but al of them tackling the distance for the first time. (7) GIANT INDY ran 4th on debut over 1000M on August 21st, having got well back from a wide draw before working home very nicely. The draw is a touch more favourable today. the extra furlong can suit, and he can win. (4) RAON AMERICAN has raced twice before and improved in the second of those to beat three of today’s rivals at 1000M on August 21st. From a nice draw, he can be on pace here and should go close. (3) SINUI BANJEON also improved at start number two, coming from off the pace to run 2nd. She is another who may appreciate the additional distance today and rates as a big chance. (2) JAEWOO SIDAE and (12) THUNDER BRAVO others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Giant Indy (4) Raon American (3) Sinui Banjeon (2) Jaewoo Sidae|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
After an indifferent debut, (7) DAECHEON BEAUTY has raced well in his subsequent four outings and comes in here ready to win. He has the fastest time of these at the distance by a wide margin and can race handy or from behind. He should make the breakthrough. As for the next best, it’s hard to look past (9) WONDERFUL MUSKET. True he had a howler two starts back but otherwise his recent form reads better than any except the favourite with a 3rd and a 4th among his latest three. He can get a bit far back but should run on to a place. (8) SPEAR QUEEN ran 2nd at this distance two starts ago before resuming normal service and beating just two home on her re-appearance. That 2nd though is enough for her to be in the money frame in this company. (4) BARAMSAL and (1) GEOSEON GANGJA others to consider.
|Selections||(7) Daecheon Beauty (9) Wonderful Musket (8) Spear Queen (4) Baramsal|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
More maidens here with nine of the eleven fillies. There are two standouts. (9) HANGANG DOLPUNG has been consistent across his five starts so far which include three top four finishes and some good times at this distance. Last time out he sat to the front of midfield before running on for 4th ahead of a couple of today’s rivals, and he has solid chances here. (3) SURE WIN will probably start as the favourite. After running close a close 2nd and 5th in two goes at 1000M, she then got a bit far back before running on for 5th on her first try at this distance on August 27th. She is nicely weighted, draws well, and has every chance. (6) P N S THE KING was 5th behind Hangang Dolpung two starts back before running a solid 3rd over 1400M three weeks ago. An apprentice claims 4kg and that should bring him right into contention. (10) GUK HYANG and (5) NEOREUL EUNGWONHAE among others in the frame.
|Selections||(9) Hangang Dolpung (3) Sure Win (6) P N S The King (10) Guk Hyang|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Having impressed behind Captain Yankee in a trial, (3) HONOR CAL was well backed on debut on August 7th. He was on pace for much of that race before ultimately weakening to 7th of eleven. He should have come on for that though and can be given another chance here. (11) SIMON TOP GUN comes in off back-to-back 3rd place finishes, her best to date. She doesn’t get the best of the draw here, but the same apprentice jockey keeps the weight light again and she can place again. (7) PATRIOT returns to action a full fifty-three weeks after his debut last September. He ran well for 5th in that solitary start and looked well when running 2nd in a fair time in an August trial. He will obviously need this, but he couldn’t have picked a more winnable race to return in. (5) PUNGAN JOHWA and (4) TAKE ADELE others who could potentially compete for the minor money.
|Selections||(3) Honor Cal (11) Simon Top Gun (7) Patriot (5) Pungan Johwa|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Competitive race. We’ll go with (7) HANGANG HERO who enters with good results from her latest three, including a runner-up finish from her latest three starts. She led for part of the way around last time out on September 3rd, before ultimately finishing 3rd and can be on pace and in this a long way again. (5) ECHO ZONE will probably start as favourite. He comes in following a 2dn and a 3rd from his latest two and has posted the fastest time of any of these for the distance. From a good draw, he should be on pace and may be hard to hold out. (8) PERFECT TIME and (1) QUIET CHARM came home 3rd and 4th when they raced each other over 1400M on August 27th. Both should be competitive again and Quiet Charm comes into a much better gate this time around. (11) BEST BIG BANG another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(7) Hangang Hero (5) Echo Zone (8) Perfect Time (1) Quiet Charm|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here and it’s hard to go past (7) DOCTOR OSCAR. An emphatic winner at class 6 level over 1000M in July, she then ran an on-pace 3rd on her first try at this class and distance on August 28th. She comes up just 1.5kg on that and should be leading from gate to wire. (9) TWO OF US was a good winner over this distance in June and while she could only manage 6th of eleven when favourite for her first try at this class over 1300M at the end of July, the margins weren’t huge, and she is worth another chance to get closer today. (1) AGAIN TOUCH returns to action for the first time since January but she comes into contention by virtue of having made all to win a trial in a good time just last week. So long as she didn’t leave her race there, she has a real chance of a bold showing. (3) BAEK GU and the up in class following a maiden win (5) LOUD COLOR are others to take into account.
|Selections||(7) Doctor Oscar (9) Two Of Us (1) Again Touch (3) Baek Gu|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
It might have taken nineteen goes for him to get his maiden win but (6) GO GO STAR enters with her recent form looking very good. She made all at class and distance in that race two starts back and followed up with a solid 4th on her latest on August 13th. She remains nicely in at the weights, draws well and has a faster time for the distance than any of her rivals. (9) P N S LOOK was a good winner on debut over 1000M in July but only beat a couple home on her first go at this class and distance on August 28th. She should have benefitted for the experience and can go better today. (5) NEW STAR YEONGCHEON races for the first time since June, which in turn was his first appearance since February. He draws well to be on pace and has claims here. (11) INVICTUS and (10) RAON THE PEARL among others to consider.
|Selections||(6) Go Go Star (9) P N S Look (5) New Star Yeongcheon (11) Invictus|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(11) GREAT CAPTAIN has four top-three finishes from six starts so far and while he races for the first time since a runner-up finish at this class over 1400M in June, he looked very well when winning a trial on September 3rd. He is up 4kg on his last start, but he has winning chances here. (12) NOBLE COWBOY won at this distance at class 6 level and comes in off two positive showings for 4th places. He is capable of settling back and running on so the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem. (6) SMARTY DOLPUNG will be on pace. He beat a few of these when 2nd at class and distance two starts back and can be in this a long way too. The up in class (7) TOTAL ECLIPSE, a good winner at this distance at the end of August, and (8) QUEEN’S DAERO, who beat Smarty Dolpung last time out, are among plenty of others with place hopes.
|Selections||(11) Great Captain (12) Noble Cowboy (6) Smarty Dolpung (7) Total Eclipse|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
In her past few outings, (6) GREENBACK has been working back toward another win and it could come here. She has been consistently running good times over 1200M and steps up slightly in trip with solid claims to get the job done today. (7) NAOL SNIPER is the main danger He comes up in class and distance following a maiden win over 1000M at start number three on August 28th when he made all. He comes down slightly in the weights and should be on or close to the pace again. (2) B.J. STORM ran an improved 4th in a fast race at class and distance on August 14th, leading for much of the way and he can go well again for the persistently in form Riccardi stable. (11) STAR CRAZY and (12) RAON THE WEEKEND others in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Greenback (7) Naol Sniper (2) B.J. Storm (11) Star Crazy|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 11, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) MAHAMERU comes up in class following a victory over this distance on August 28th when she quickly found the lead, despite drawing gate twelve, and didn’t look back, winning by as many as she pleased. That was her second win in her last three starts meaning she is rapidly up in class, but she should measure up in this company and can win again. (4) UNJU BULPAE ran fairly for a midfield finish last start on his first effort at this class. He is nicely weighted and drawn here and can be a danger. (7) YONGGARI was a good winner over 1400M at class 4 level on August 6th but struggled a little last time out from a wide draw. Under today’s handicap conditions he comes down in the weights, draws a bit better and can get much closer. (11) EUNSEONG YEONGUNG and (12) STAR CATCH are others who should be competitive.
|Selections||(8) Mahameru (4) Unju Bulpae (7) Yonggari (11) Eunseong Yeongung|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) LUNAR SILVER was considered good enough to have a tilt at the final leg of the filly Triple Crown, where she finished 6th of ten. Since returning to shallower waters, she has a 2nd and a 4th from two attempts, both over 1700M and both times finishing ahead of at least one of today’s rivals. The one concern is the draw as it is very hard for horses drawn wide to get a decent position on the short run to the first corner but she has plenty of early speed so she may be the one to break the pattern. (7) KING HONOR draws a little a bit better. He is up in class after an all the way score over 1400M and the additional furlong shouldn’t pose a problem. (5) BLUE INDY comes back in trip after a good 4th from gate 10 over 1700M. He can be competitive here too. (3) TRIPLE JOY and (1) BLUE CHARM others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Lunar Silver (7) King Honor (5) Blue Indy (3) Triple Joy|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race. (1) YASAENGHWA was a beaten favourite last start on September 2nd when leading into the final furlong but ultimately running 4th over a mile on her first try at this class. She has won at the mile before and steps up to this distance for the first time well weighted and well-drawn to be very competitive. The main danger is (7) HANEUL JEONSA. He has won his latest two with the most recent having been at this class over a mile on August 19th. He comes up 4kg in the weights because of that and is also trying two-turns for the first time, but he can settle back and run on, and he has solid claims. (6) GREAT DANCE was a front-running class and distance winner at odds of 10/1 on August 28th and while he has his fair share of weight, warrants respect here too. (5) ACE JACKPOT, who beat Yasaenghwa in that September 2nd race, and (3) WONDERFUL WORLD, the latter another last start class and distance winner are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Yasaenghwa (7) Haneul Jeonsa (6) Great Dance (5) Ace Jackpot|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) WILD SOCKS won three races in a row in June and July at 1200M and 1400M to get rapidly promoted to this class, before running a strong 4th in the MJC Trophy on International weekend three weeks ago at 1200M. He carries a nice light weight here, draws well and is the one they need to beat. There are plenty of other prolific winners. (6) RAON THE JET has won four of six and comes up in class having made all the running over 1200M last time out. He comes up in trip today but has had a couple of months off and can measure up here. So too (3) YELLOW CAT, whose last start win was also back in July but in her case was over today’s distance when settling handy and proving too strong. (11) GLOBAL YEONGUNG ran 2nd to Wild Socks back at the end of July but joins him up in class. He comes down a full 6kg in the weights and won’t mind the wide draw as he likes to settle back and run on. He is not without a chance. Prolific placer (8) SINUI ADEUL is another who can compete for the minors.
|Selections||(1) Wild Socks (6) Raon The Jet (3) Yellow Cat (11) Global Yeongung|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
Can (8) HIT YEGAM return to form? He bested Winner’s Man in two legs of the Triple Crown last year but hasn’t quite been able to kick on as a four-year-old. That’s not to say his results have been bad as he has been running in top class company. This isn’t easy either, but he looks nicely in here and he can go to the front and try to lead all the way. (3) MACH TITAN will be aiming to do the same thing. He beat a fair few of these when winning at class and distance in a super time back in June before racking up back-to-back runner-up finishes around two turns. He caries 5kg more than in that June victory but draws well and may start favourite. (2) YES PERFECT comes in off the back of two very quick wins over 1200M. He comes up in the weights and 1400M may not be as much in his favour, but he can be competitive again. (9) SSONSAL, runner-up to Mach Titan last time, and (1) BARBARIAN, who draws a much better gate than in his latest two defeats, others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Hit Yegam (3) Mach Titan (2) Yes Perfect (9) Ssonsal|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A small field but a very competitive one. We’ll take a chance on (8) ICE STAR who comes back to this trip for the first time since winning at it at class 5 level back in May. He has since run well for 2nd over 1400M and 5th of nine at 1700M and with an apprentice engaged, comes down a full 4kg in the weights here. He doesn’t need to lead so drawn outside shouldn’t be an issue and this could be his day. (3) DAEMUL was an also-ran in the Korean Derby but comes up class following a good win over 1200M on August 20th when handy throughout. He has won at the distance before and is well weighted and well-drawn. Up rapidly in class is (7) CHOEGO BLACK following back-to-back wins when settling back and running on. This is tougher but he can be competitive. Better drawn than last time is (1) COLJOY, and he along with (5) HWA SSI BYEOK are other contenders. Very few without a chance here.
|Selections||(8) Ice Star (3) Daemul (7) Choego Black (1) Coljoy|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) SARYEONI FIRST comes in having won over class and distance when handy throughout on August 21st. He had previously shown his versatility and his quality by overcoming wide draws to run on for very good 7th and 4th placed finishes in the Korean Derby and Minister’s Cup. He does give weight away here, but he can win again. (4) ORAE HAMKKEHAJA comes up in class after an all the way score over 1700M on August 27th. Like Saryeoni First, he looks destined for a higher level than this and he can be competitive. (11) VIKING HEART beat Orae Hamkkehaja when they came home 1st and 3rd over 1700M at class 5 level at the end of July. He races for the first time since and can also measure up, especially under the light weight. (7) BIG YAK has finally found some form and could maintain his run with another money finish. (3) CONCORDE SPURT another in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Saryeoni First (4) Orae Hamkkehaja (11) Viking Heart (7) Big Yak|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
It’s time for (1) COMPLETE VALUE to return to the winner’s circle. A perfect five from five last term saw him to the Champion Juvenile title but he is yet to open his account as a three-year-old, placing 2nd in the Cup Mile, 6th in the Derby and 3rd in the Minister’s Cup. This isn’t easy but he should have the beating of this average class 2 field. (7) JANGSAN POISON is up in class following a good win over this distance on August 28th when handy to the lead throughout. He is ultra-consistent and looks class 1 bound sooner rather than later. (11) HIDDEN SOCKS ran out a good winner at this class over a mile on August 27th. An apprentice aboard today means he carries the same weight, and his style means he doesn’t need to lead. (8) BEST TAP and (4) NORTHERN TIME others in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Complete Value (7) Jangsan Poison (11) Hidden Socks (8) Best Tap|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 9|