Saturday’s racing is at Seoul with 10 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Jockey Moon Se-young is suspended this weekend but there is a return to action for Jo Jae-ro, who has completed his national service. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener with nine of the twelve racing for the first time. As so often though, experience gets the nod and (9) CRAZY LOVE is the top pick and warm favourite. She’s the only one here to have raced twice and she improved to 2nd in her latest start over this trip on August 13th when on pace throughout. Her times have been good, and a similar run will win this. (1) YONGAMREX ran pleasingly enough for 5th of eleven on debut on August 21st. He should have come on for that run and with some natural improvement can get closer this time. The pick of the first timers is probably (8) CHROMITE. He stopped the clock in a fair time in a tight finish in his trial and bringing that form to the races will see him in the placing hunt. (11) GEUMSEONG TALHWAN won a trial, albeit not a fast one, and that entitles him to some interest here. (2) BLOOMING STAR another who hinted at ability in his heat.
|Selections||(9) Crazy Love (1) Yongamrex (8) Chromite (11) Geumseong Talhwan|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens, this time with eight of the twelve stepping out for the first time. This time we break the rule and side with a newcomer in the shape of (4) LUCKY SUN. He sat handy in his heat before running on well to cross the line in front in a fast time. A similar performance will be enough to win on debut here. (2) TAKE MUSIC led for much of his debut, ultimately weakening to 7th in the closing stages but in a fair time. He should be better for that run, is drawn well here and can be in this a long way again. (1) CHEONJON CHAT has raced twice, running 4th of twelve in the second of them on August 27th. The times haven’t been fast but if he shows similar improvement again, he can be in the mix. Returning to the first-time starters and (6) BEST SUN and (12) JANGHEUNG CLASS, the latter whose trial wasn’t as bad as the slow time suggests, could make an impact first-up.
|Selections||(4) Lucky Sun (2) Take Music (1) Cheonjon Chat (6) Best Sun|
|Next Best||12, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) WONPYEONG TOWN will be hot favourite. He has shown steady improvement across three starts so far, all of them over 1000M and culminating in a runner-up finish in a fast time on August 21st. The additional furlong should be no problem and the inside gate means he can be on pace again and this time lead all the way. (6) GUKDAE CLASS comes in off an improved 3rd place over this distance on August 20th when ridden on pace for the first time having been painfully slow away in his opening two efforts. Expect similar tactics here and potentially a similar or better result. (8) SARANG DAMOA has been much improved since returning from six months off in July, registering a 4th and a 2nd. Third-up today she could be peaking. (7) POWERFUL HWASEONG and (10) LUXSEN among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Wonpyeong Town (6) Gukdae Class (8) Sarang Damoa (7) Powerful Hwaseong|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here. (10) SAENAE QUEEN made all to win in fine style on debut over 1000M on August 20th. She comes up in class and distance, and isn’t favoured by the draw, but she has firm claims to measure up in this company. (3) RAON GIANT was a good winner on debut over 1000M in July before running 4th on her first try at this class and distance on August 20th when settling handy to midfield and then running on. The Musket Man filly draws well here and may start as the betting favourite. The other main player looks set to be (7) AL SIMON. A winner at this distance at class 6 level two starts back, she ran a more than creditable 5th on her first try at this class on August 20th. She can settle handy or midfield and can play a big role here. (4) HWANGGEUM DALBIT can be forgiven her latest couple and given another chance here and along with (1) WILD RUNNER, who also had a disappointing day at the office last time, is a place chance.
|Selections||(10) Saenae Queen (3) Raon Giant (7) Al Simon (4) Hwanggeum Dalbit|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
While he doesn’t exactly win out of turn, (1) HOEDURYEONG has probably earned the right to favourite status here. He is super consistent with eleven top five finishes and has posted fast times, including the fastest of any of these over today’s distance by some margin. He draws well to sit just off the speed here and can win. Should he find one too quick again, it might be (5) YAMUJIN WANGCHO. Still a maiden after ten attempts, he comes in off three consecutive runner-up finishes, the latest of which was at this class and distance on August 21st. He draws better today and can go close again. Another non-winner of plenty is (4) MAIN OF KING but he too has his fair share of near misses. They include three runner-up finishes from his last four starts, but he looks nicely in again under an apprentice who knows him well and another placing looks on the cards. The up in class (11) CLASSIC STAR – who does know how to win – along with (8) THUNDER FLASH look the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Hoeduryeong (5) Yamujin Wangcho (4) Main Of King (11) Classic Star|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Tricky race but the step up to 1400M may suit (5) WORLD KING MAN. His win was at 1000M at class 6 level, but he has finished off his two tries at this class in good style and the additional furlong should see him powering home. (7) BLUE HAMMER is a class and distance winner already and has run consistently good times at this distance. He races for the first time in eight weeks, but an apprentice jockey takes a full 4kg off his back and he should be firmly in this. (11) SEMYEONG GANGJA was sent off as the longest shot on the board at her latest outing on August 28th but defied that to run an excellent 2nd at class and distance. She is yet to win from eighteen starts and probably won’t here either, but she looks a solid place chance again. (1) THE FIGHTING and the up in class (4) GEONGONILCHEOK are among others in the frame.
|Selections||(5) World King Man (7) Blue Hammer (11) Semyeong Gangja (1) The Fighting|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(12) TROTTING RILEY notched his third win from six starts making all over class and distance on August 27th. He comes up 4kg in the weights here and must contend with the widest draw, but he has strong claims again. The other standout is (7) SINUI HANSU. He was a winner over this distance in a super time at class 5 level two starts back before running 4th over 1300M on his first try at this class on August 28th. He comes up 3kg in the weights from that but should be competitive here. (2) DIA KEY could only manage 6th behind Trotting Riley last time out but two starts back was a class and distance winner and he can be given another chance today. (11) HANGANG CHAMP and (1) DANGCHAN SERYEOK among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(12) Trotting Riley (7) Sinui Hansu (2) Dia Key (11) Hangang Champ|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) SUPERDIA returns to action for the first time since May and comes up in class having won back-to-back races, both at this distance. She performed well in a trial three weeks ago and from a good draw can be competitive first-up here. (1) ULTRA KING had a hard time when slowly away from a wide draw at his latest start back in July. He has had a couple of months off since and from a much better gate today and back in trip for the first time in a while, he can go closer. (9) GEOSEN DOLPUNG enters off a solid 3rd place at class and distance last time out when totally unfancied. He doesn’t come up at all in the weights and from a similarly wide draw, he can go close again. (12) GLOBAL MAGIC and (4) DOUBLE BLACK are the others logical place chances.
|Selections||(2) Superdia (1) Ultra King (9) Geosen Dolpung (12) Global Magic|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(6) COMPLETE TIME tackles two-turns for the first time having won three from seven so far, including her most recent two, the latest at this class over 1400M on August 13th. She comes up 4kg in weight for that but can be on pace again and has every chance of leading all the way around. Also up significantly in weight is (1) RUNNING NUMBER ONE. That’s because of a class and distance win on August 21st when he made all. That weight is offset a little by a much better draw and he should be in the hunt here. (7) DOUBLE EDGE ran in all three legs of the Triple Crown series earlier this year and while he didn’t meet with success, he returned to shallower waters to run 3rd at class and distance on July 17th. With a couple of months more to have recovered from his early season exertions, he could be ready for a bold showing here. (3) YONGAM BOSS has won his latest two and like Complete Time comes up in weight and in trip but should be competitive. (4) DREAM SPEED another placing hope.
|Selections||(6) Complete Time (1) Running Number One (7) Double Edge (3) Yongam Boss|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(9) WONDERFUL K comes up in class having made all to win over this distance on August 27th. The set weight conditions aren’t in his favour, but he can measure up in this company. (7) LUCKY HOON returned to action on August 28th following seven months out. He ran a solid 5th over class and distance that day and should benefit for it here. (2) MUNHAK MOON has solid form at this level and while he carries his fair share of weight here, he draws nicely and can be a danger. (12) SKY DOLPUNG is another who has to carry plenty, but he comes in off a win and a runner-up finish over this class and distance and while he also must deal with the widest gate, he can go close. (8) QUICKSILVER KITTEN beat Munhak Moon as the pair of them came home 3rd and 4th over a mile at this class on August 21st. This is his first time around two turns but having appreciated the mile, it’s not impossible he may like today’s extended trip too.
|Selections||(9) Wonderful K (7) Lucky Hoon (2) Munhak Moon (12) Sky Dolpung|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 10|