With Busan taking the weekend off, the only Sunday meeting is at Seoul where there is a day time meeting of 15 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens kick things off with five of the eight racing for the very first time. The hot favourite though will be the only one to have two starts under his saddlecloth in the shape of (1) WONPYEONG KILLAR. After running 5th on debut, he ran a good 2nd on July 2nd settling back and running on. He won’t need to improve much on that performance to win here. The greatest danger may come from a front-running debut-maker. (3) BIG SMART went through three trials, improving each time and crossed the line first in the latest of those when on pace throughout. The time wasn’t fast but she has had a month for potential improvement and could put in a bold showing. (7) TAKE MUSIC also showed towards the head of the field in her trial and similarly may go well here. The other experienced pair of (6) STARLET and (5) TOHO SKY are others to consider.
|Selections||(1) Wonpyeong Killar (3) Big Smart (7) Take Music (6) Starlet|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 57|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It would be surprising if (3) DONGTEUJA WAY doesn’t have a win in him sooner rather than later. He has performed fairly in his two starts so far recording a time for this distance faster than anything else in the race when 5th on July 3rd. He has trialed since then, stopping the clock in a good time and from a good draw should be on pace and can win. (7) YEONHUI SARANG has been improving in recent outings with a 4th place at this distance on July 16th her best so far. She’ll be on or close to the pace here and can go even closer. (1) NB JEONSA has a 3rd place to his name over this distance and from a great draw should be in the mix again. (8) POSA POSA and (4) STAR PRINCESS are others capable of filling out the minors.
|Selections||(3) Dongteuja Way (7) Yeonhui Sarang (1) NB Jeonsa (8) Posa Posa|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Tricky race. (5) BLACK BEOMI just about gets the nod following her much-improved 2nd place over this distance on June 4th when overcoming a wide draw to sit handy and run on. Without an apprentice claim today, she comes up 3kg in the weights but she finds herself with a better draw and she can win. (1) MY GONGJU is another who improved on his latest appearance, running a goof 3rd over this distance in a fair time on June 12th. He has tended to get too far back in his races so far and the inside gate should help today. (7) GUK HYANG has been consistently close across her eleven starts and has posted some decent times. She will settle back and can run into some money. (2) HANGANG HERO and (9) BANGTAN YEOGEOL among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Black Beomi (1) My Gongju (7) Guk Hyang (2) Hangang Hero|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) JEONGMUN PAPAGO is set to be the hot favourite here. Following an inauspicious debut, he has finished 3rd and 2nd in two subsequent starts, that 2nd coming over this distance last time out on July 2nd when handy all the way and beaten by a good winner. His time that day was faster than anything else in this race has registered for the distance and he should break through here. (6) VICTORY SAM is two starts into a comeback following almost a year out. She’s been on pace in both of them and stayed on fairly for 4th over 1300M on July 2nd. She should be at peak fitness for this, can lead again and be in it a long way. (8) WONDERFUL MUSKET returned from fifteen months out to run a creditable 3rd over this distance on July 3rd. She should be fitter for that run and can go close. (5) DEVIL K and (2) JAKDUKONG others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Jeongmun Papago (6) Victory Sam (8) Wonderful Musket (5) Devil K|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Another race with a probable short-priced favourite. (4) RESERVED JOHN has run well across her five starts to date, culminating in a runner-up finish over 1300M on July 10th. She has been finishing off her races well and the additional trip today can suit. The most experienced horse in the race is (8) BITNANEUN JILJU and while that is a somewhat dubious honour at class 6, he has run well enough at this distance including his last start 4th. A similar run here will see him closer. There isn’t much early speed here so (3) VINCERO KING should be able to get to the lead from a good draw. He is up in weight from his 3rd place over 1200M on July 9th but he should be competitive here. (2) HANI and (5) BLOW MIND are others who can make a bid for the minors.
|Selections||(4) Reserved John (8) Bitnaneun Jilju (3) Vincero King (2) Hani|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) LAST PUNCH has been ultra-consistent across her eight starts so far with her latest outing producing her best finish when 2nd 1200M, coming from well off the pace. She has run well at this distance before and from a good gate, can this time sit on or close to the pace and then run on. Today can be her day. The probable favourite is (9) JAY PHOENIX. He is yet to finish any worse than 3rd in three starts and he steps up to this distance for the first time having run 2nd on his first try at class 5 over 1200M on June 11th. He should be able to overcome the wide gate to get on pace and he has every chance. (8) YEONGUNG DAEMA and (3) SMART BYEOL came home 3rd and 5th when they raced each other at class and distance on July 3rd and both can be aiming to improve here. (1) FIRST ROAD, the only one in the field to have won at the distance, is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Last Punch (9) Jay Phoenix (8) Yeongung Daema (3) Smart Byeol|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) NAOL ACE comes up in class following an all the way score over this distance on July 2nd. That win had been coming and while this is harder, he looks to have more improvement in him, he draws well to get to the lead, and he can win again. (7) MYEONGJIN CANDY produced a similar gate-to-wire win at class 6 level two starts back before running 4th on his first try at this level on July 1th having led in the early stages. An apprentice jockey keeps his carried weight very light and another win is possible here. (1) FEDERAL EYE comes back in trip following recent outings at further. He has a runner-up finish to his name at this distance and from the inside gate can go well. (8) RUN TO GOAL and (2) KING MOUNTAIN among others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(5) Naol Ace (7) Myeongjin Candy (1) Federal Eye (8) Run To Goal|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) NUT PLAY comes up in class having won at start number two over 1000M on July 2nd when handy early and running on. He comes up in trip too but should be equal to the challenge and can win here. (6) GREENBACK enters in consistent form with a 4th and two 3rd place finishes from his latest three outings, all at this class and distance. He is versatile but should be on pace here and can be a real danger. (8) CAMP SAVER is yet to win but comes up in class after too many near-misses at class 6. An apprentice jockey brings the weight down to such an extent that he looks very nicely in here and can put in a big run. (3) FLY STAR and (1) CONCORD SPARK others who can be considered for the minors.
|Selections||(7) Nut Play (6) Greenback (8) Camp Saver (3) Fly Star|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A very competitive race. (11) TOUCH NINE just about gets the pick. He has a 5th and a 3rd from her two tries at this level, both at 1200M. His one previous attempt at this distance was one of only two times he missed out on the top five, but that was a while back and he should be ready for another go. He has overcome wide draws before to run well and has as good a chance as any here. (6) MAGIC RUSH could be a chance at what should be an each-way price. He can mix his form but looks nicely in and may be able to get the lead. (2) SMART HIGH comes down considerably in the weights with an apprentice climbing aboard. She gets her best draw for some time here and those two factors combined can enable her to go close. (4) P N S VILL ran 4th to Touch Nine’s 3rd when they raced one another on July 9th and should be competitive again. (3) CHAPEL PRINCESS comes up in class following a maiden win at start four and can measure up under a light weight.
|Selections||(11) Touch Nine (6) Magic Rush (2) Smart High (4) P N S Vill|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) LUNAR SILVER is the likely favourite here having almost led from gate-to-wire at class and distance on July 17th, ultimately finishing 2nd. She previously ran 6th of ten in the final leg of the filly Triple Crown and should be ultimately destined for a slightly higher level than this. (2) JIGEUMYEOGIE has run solid times at this distance and enters with recent form reading well. He tends to get back in his races before running on, but he may have an easier early passage here given the draw. He’s worth thought at probably big odds. (7) GEUMA CHIC makes her first start at the distance. She is yet to win in four starts but has placed twice and last time rana good 4th at this class over 1400M and there looks to be more improvement in the tank. (12) GREEN FEELSTAR and (10) SWEET JUICEBAR are among others to take into account.
|Selections||(5) Lunar Silver (2) Jigeumyeogie (7) Geuma Chic (12) Green Feelstar|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) VYING BLADE made be a perennial runner-up but he will be hot favourite to finish on top here. He gets a better draw than he did last time out when a narrow 2nd at this class and distance and this time he should be hard to hold out. If he does manage to find one too quick again, then it’s likely to be (7) TOP CLASS. He got back-to-back wins over 1200M to be rapidly promoted to this class and can have his first go at the level, over 1400M, disregarded. He should be on pace and can go all the way. (2) DAESE MANSE should be available at an each-way price. She hasn’t run since the end of April and does come up in class, but she is down in weight and is right in this on her best form. (1) RAON THE TIGER can have her latest outing dismissed when wide from barrier twelve. He should get a far easier run here and is a place chance. (8) HWA SSI BYEOK another in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Vying Blade (7) Top Class (2) Daese Manse (1) Raon The Tiger|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 12: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) ENERGIZER comes in off the back of three consecutive runner-up finishes with a class rise in the middle of them. She beat a couple of these on her latest start on July 9th when handy to the lead and running on and in this field, she can go one better. (8) NAMSAN CHOCOLATE comes up in class following a narrow win in a fast time over this distance on July 10th. She draws a bit wider but comes down slightly in the weights and is a top chance here. (9) DONGHAENG dead-heated for 4th behind Energizer last time out having led for much of the race and is worth another chance, especially given that most of the others with good starts have drawn even wider. (11) MAGIC GRACE and, at probable big odds, (4) GLOBAL SUN are others who can potentially challenge.
|Selections||(7) Energizer (8) Namsan Chocolate (9) Donghaeng (11) Magic Grace|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 13: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
We’ll take a chance here on (10) TAP QUALITY. It took him twelve goes to get his maiden win, but he promptly followed it up with another, bolting in last start in a fast time. He comes up in class but remains low in the weights with an apprentice on board and while this is undoubtedly tougher, he shouldn’t be dismissed. (1) WONPYEONG COD was a touch unlucky last time as he suffered early interference leading him to settle right back and then ran on well for a close 3rd. He’s lightly raced with scope for more improvement, is nicely drawn and is a big chance. (4) SAENAE POWERFUL is a winner of two over 1300M and led most of the way around when 3rd over 1400M on July 2nd. He comes up in the weights for that but should be competitive again. (5) MAKALU POWER and (3) TINA are among others with placing claims.
|Selections||(10) Tap Quality (1) Wonpyeong Cod (4) Saenae Powerful (5) Makalu Power|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 14: Class 1 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(1) CLEAN UP HAPPY will be a short-priced favourite here, having won at his first class 1 start at this distance in May before taking his chance against the best Korean sprinters at level weights in the SBS Sports Sprint and running well. This should suit, he is nicely drawn and looks hard to beat. (7) YEONHUI ILCHUL comes up in class, but she has run some very good times for the distance. She is down a full 4.5kg in the weights and that should enable here to be very competitive. (5) M J POWER has solid recent form at this class and is very well suited under the set weight conditions. An apprentice being engaged means he is down a full 7kg on his last start he can be expected to be running on strongly. (8) MIGHTY GO has a good 1400M record and comes back in trip today. He tends to settle midfield and works home well and with a repeat of recent starts, could sneak a place. (2) CHEUNGDAM GENIE another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Clean Up Happy (7) Yeonhui Ilchul (5) M J Power (8) Mighty Go|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 15: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) SKY MANGCHI has won three of his last four starts, including at this class and distance and at his latest outing he was a good 4th when trying two-turns for the first time. He likes to race forward and is nicely drawn for a big show here. (9) JOY BROTHER is a four-time winner at this distance including his latest two, the most recent at this class. He carries his fair share or weight here but is worth thought. (2) MYEONGJIN DAY has some good 1400M runs in his record and was a last start winner over 1700M. He comes up in class but is down in weight and while he does tend to get a bit back in his races, there should be strong pace to run at here. (6) MONSTER K has won at 1400M and got demoted to 2nd last time after a good run over 1200M. He is up in weight but is a big chance if he can settle forward from a nice draw. (12) TAKTUEIN another capable of finding the money.
|Selections||(5) Sky Mangchi (9) Joy Brother (2) Myeongjin Day (6) Monster K|
|Next Best||12, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10, 12|