With no Jeju ponies this weekend, there is a bumper 14-race card at Busan this Friday running from 14:10 to 21:00. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens to begin with and all but two are racing for the very first time. Experience does tend to count for plenty in these types of races though so those two, who both ran well on debut, will be the favourites. (10) MAGIC CLASS was on pace throughout her debut on June 24th, ultimately finishing in 4th. The time was assisted by a wet track but it was fast and she won’t need to improve much to go close here. (6) ILGANG DAERO ran 3rd on his debut on July 3rd, settling midfield and running on well. He should have come on for the run and has every chance. Of the first-timers, (2) SOLEDAD looks the best. She led in her trial, ultimately crossing the line in the same time as the “winner”. She draws nicely here to be on pace and can be in this a long way. (7) HAENGBOKHAN GIL was a trial winner in June and along with (4) JEOLDAE BOSS, is another first-timer of note.
|Selections||(10) Magic Class (6) Ilgang Daero (2) Soledad (7) Haengbokhan Gil|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maiden fillies here with three of the eleven making their racecourse debuts. (2) WIDEAHAN HAMAN is the pick. After winning a May trial, she led on debut over this distance on June 10th, ultimately finishing 2nd with a couple of today’s rivals behind here. She should have come on for that run and with a little natural improvement, looks the one to beat. (7) WONDERFUL OCEAN improved to 2nd at start number two on June 17th when handy throughout. She draws fairly enough to get on the pace again and can go close. (3) AREUMDAUN INYEON is the pick of the first-timers. She went through two trials, improving in the second of them when from gate eight she settled close to the speed and ran 2nd in a good time. She won’t need to improve much on that to go close first-up. (10) SEOGWI CHUKJE and (8) GOLDEN RACER others to keep an eye on.
|Selections||(2) Widaehan Haman (7) Wonderful Ocean (3) Areumdaun Inyeon (10) Seogwi Chukje|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 7|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(9) THUNDER CLOUD has demonstrated good progress across six starts to date, culminating on July 1st when after a slow start, she ran on really well for 2nd – a long way behind a good winner over this distance. The time before she was a close 5th over 1400M. Today’s distance should suit and she looks ready to win. (1) GOLDEN POINT has run fairly so far with a 4th and a 5th from his latest two. He draws well on the inside to get on or close to the speed and should be aiming for a career-best finish here. (7) BOOMY STAR hinted that he may finally be figuring things out with a good 4th at this distance last time out. You Hyun-myung remains aboard and he can match or better that here. (11) FLEX SHINHWA and (2) TITAN K among several others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Thunder Cloud (1) Golden Point (7) Boomy Star (11) Flex Shinhwa|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) RUNNING WARRIOR is just about favoured here. She has been consistent across her recent starts with two 3rd place finishes and a 4th. She stepped up to 1400M on her latest outing on July 1st and was sent off as favourite. She could only manage 3rd place but should have benefitted from the experience and with an apprentice jockey taking significant weight off, she can win here. (8) GOLD SWEET has also been consistent with four top-four finishes from six starts to date. She comes up to this trip for the first time and it may suit. Apprentice jockey Lee Hong-rag gets his first ever race ride on (6) AGAIN HELEN and it’s not an impossible task. He (Again Helen is a gelding) has a 2nd place to his name at this distance and looks nicely in here. (2) MILK DAY and (3) YEONSEUNG GLORY among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Running Warrior (8) Gold Sweet (6) Again Helen (2) Milk Day|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) MAGIC WHISPER made all to win over this distance at class 6 level two starts back before coming from a wide gate to run 2nd, again over this trip, on his first try at class 5 on June 26th. He comes into a better gate today and with an apprentice bringing the weight down, he is the one to beat. (1) GREAT GO remains a maiden after twenty0five races but has plenty of experience in picking up a cheque, with no fewer than sixteen top-five finishes. From a nice draw on the inside, he can sit behind the early speed and run on strong. (5) MAHAMERU comes up in class following a win over 1200M on June 19th when she settled midfield and then proved too strong. She comes up in distance too but neither should be a problem and she can measure up here. (11) WIND WINNER won at class 6 level over 1300M on June 5th and he too can be competitive in this company, while (10) SPECIAL TOGETHER did similar and should be in the hunt for a money finish too.
|Selections||(2) Magic Whisper (1) Great Go (5) Mahameru (11) Wind Winner|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
It’s hard to look too far past (3) GLOBAL HIT here. Having won a trial earlier in the month, he debuted on June 24th over 1000M and sat handy throughout the early stages and running on to take a narrow win in a fast time. He is up in both class and distance today but should be equal to both and he can maintain his 100% record. (7) BURNING PASSION won over this distance at class 6 level three starts back. She led on her latest outing on June 3rd, finishing 4th, and she should be on pace and a danger here. (8) FLYING REGAL comes up in class after winning at this distance back on April 17th. He has had fifteen weeks off since but at his best, he can be competitive here. (6) OCEAN STORM and (10) QUALITY QUEEN others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(3) Global Hit (7) Burning Passion (8) Flying Regal (6) Ocean Storm|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) TAP STAR comes up in class having won at the second time of asking on June 10th with a front-running effort over 1200M. He is slightly up in trip too but should be able to cope with is and from a good draw, he can be on pace and potentially lead all the way. The main danger and probable favourite is (2) B. K. HANA. She made all to win over this distance at class 6 level on May 13th before almost managing to repeat on her first try at this level, also at this distance, on July 3rd. She does come up 2kg in the weights on that performance but she draws nicely and has every chance. (9) DOCTOR PERSIA got his maiden win over 1200M on July 10th when settling back and then running on. He is up in class but down in weights and can be competitive. (10) FANTASTIC LOVE and (8) GALLOP BOY are also in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Tap Star (2) B. K. Hana (9) Doctor Persia (10) Fantastic Love|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 11|
Busan Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A winner at this distance at class 5 level two starts back, (8) MENI AGAIN was slow away last time out on June 24th, getting well back before rallying for 4th place. He is nicely weight here and the draw shouldn’t be a problem as he can sit midfield and then run on. He has strong claims. (2) JATNAMUGIL races for the first time since April 22nd when he was a good winner this distance, having been handy throughout. An apprentice keeps the weight on the low side and he draws well here to be competitive. (3) FLASHY CHARM goes up 4kg for his win at class and distance on July 8th when he sat behind the speed and ran on strong. Today will be the most weight he has carried but he can’t be ruled out. (6) JJANG I and (7) INDIE MAGIC are other placing contenders.
|Selections||(8) Meni Again (2) Jatnamugil (3) Flashy Charm (6) Jjang I|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 10|
Busan Race 9: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race with several having genuine winning claims. We’ll side with (8) ORANGE GARAGE. He won at this distance carrying this weight two starts back on May 13th when handy throughout before pulling away. That was at class 5 level but he ran well enough for 2nd when a little slower away on June 17th on his first try at this class. He will be on or close to the pace here and has every chance. (10) WONDERFUL SECRET is another who has won at this distance at class 5. He comes in off a strong 2nd at this class and distance, in his case on July 1st when he almost led from gate-to-wire, only to get l passed late on and running 2nd with three of today’s rivals behind him. He has his fair share of weight here but will be competitive again. (2) DUMUSAN was 4th in that race. He is a class and distance winner as recently as May and from a good draw, shouldn’t be discounted. (6) YEONGWON POWER doesn’t win out of turn but has plenty of experience of going close at this level and can be in the mix here. (11) SINJIN GANGHO another in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Orange Garage (10) Wonderful Secret (2) Dumusan (6) Yeongwon Power|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 10: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
He may be yet to win in nine starts but (5) WONDERFUL BOBCAT will be favourite to put that right here. His two runner-up finishes both came at a mile, including his latest start on July 1st when he led for much of the way around at this class. He comes in only half a kilo worse, should be on or close to the speed, and should have too much. It’s hard to have much confidence in the rest of the form. (3) HONOR QUEEN may be worth some thought from a good draw. It’s a long time since the second of her two wins but she runs on well and may be a factor here. (10) ALPHA HEART has been at this class a long time and knows how to pick up minor money. She is very lightly weighted here and can go close. (4) MY PAL and (7) CHOEGANG DUDEURIM other candidates for the minors.
|Selections||(5) Wonderful Bobcat (3) Honor Queen (10) Alpha Heart (4) My Pal|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|
Busan Race 11: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) TTEUGEOUN MANNAM will be favourite to strike here. He was a winner over this distance two starts back before running a very good 2nd behind Ssonsal Cheoreom in a fast race on his first try at this class on June 24th. He comes up 2.5kg for that but it should be manageable and from a good draw, he should be on pace from the start. (3) HAENGBOKAN HAMAN looks the most credible danger. She overcame gate ten to get to the lead before ultimately finishing 4th over 1400M on July 15th. That was her first go at this level having been rapidly promoted after winning back-to-back races at 1300M in May and June. She looks to have scope for more development and can measure up here. (1) KING ALLIE returns to action for the time since February. A winner of two from six, she looked in fine form when fairly bolting up in a trial on July 16th and she can go well first-up today. (10) GEOMEUN SSONSAL and (7) COLOR WIND others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Tteugeoun Mannam (3) Haengbokan Haman (1) King Allie (10) Geomeun Ssonsal|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 12: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) ACE SOLOMON has only missed out on the top-three on two occasions in eleven starts. He is a winner at this distance at class 4 level in a good time and has placed at this class over 1200M. This is his fourth start this preparation and he could be ideal for this from a good gate. (4) YEONGCHEON SOLEMIO comes up in class and back in trip following a good win over 1800M on July 1st. He too has won at this distance in the past and under a light weight here, he can measure up. (9) WONDERFUL FAGER ran 2nd to Golden Byeorak over 1200M on his first try at this level on July 1st. Tactically versatile, he came from off the pace that day but has also won making all and while up 2kg on last time, can be firmly in the mix. (10) ECHO SUN and last start class and distance winner (7) MUJEOK BULPAE also in the hunt, the latter with an apprentice claim keeping the weight light.
|Selections||(3) Ace Solomon (4) Yeongcheon Solemio (9) Wonderful Fager (10) Echo Sun|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 10|
Busan Race 13: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Competitive race. We’ll take a chance on (7) WORLD SOCKS under a light weight. She tackles a distance other than 1200M for the very first time. It’s been almost a year since her solitary win but she enters in good form, can be on pace here and she should get the additional trip. (8) RAON THE POWER was a class and distance winner two starts back on May 6th when settling midfield and running on to beat a field containing plenty of today’s rivals. He couldn’t repeat the trick when slower away on June 10th but while he does carry his fair share of weight here, he can be given another chance and may start as favourite. (10) SONHADOR was a good winner at this distance at class 4 level at the end of April. She had a hard time when sent up to 1800M for her first try in this class but today looks a more suitable assignment. (5) UNJU EUTTEUM and (9) BURNING FLY other placing chances.
|Selections||(7) World Socks (8) Raon The Power (10) Sonhador (5) Unju Eutteum|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 14: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(7) YEONGUNG LOUIS can return to winning ways here. He won on his first try at class 1 over 1400M on March before then taking his chance in the Busan Ilbo Sprint and SROA Chairman’s Sprint, both over 1200M and the latter at Seoul. He came up a bit short against the current best of the sprinting elite but today finds him in much shallower waters. That said, there is still some useful opposition. (1) ROCKY SKY has won at this distance in fast times at lower levels and absolutely blitzed a trial three weeks ago. He draws well on the inside and can be a danger. (4) GOLDEN WINNER returns to action for the first time since last June when he suffered an injury that has kept him out ever since. Before the layoff, he was a winner of nine from seventeen and he looked well when trialing in May. He will probably need this but at anything approaching his previous capability, he won’t be far away. (6) ACE KOREA gets a nice apprentice claim and along with (2) MIRACLE DREAMING, could also challenge.
|Selections||(7) Yeongung Louis (1) Rocky Sky (4) Golden Winner (6) Ace Korea|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5|