The summer racing season begins at Busan on Friday with 7 races from 15:35 to 21:00. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) SINUI JEONSA has some decent experience with a 2nd place over this distance on his latest start on June 12th when handy throughout. He also has the fastest time of any of these for the distance and from a better draw today, looks a big chance. There are two fist-time starters and we’re going to take a chance on one of them. (6) DIXIE BAND is a half-sister to multiple stakes winners Beolmaui Kkum and Kkakjaengi as well as prolific race winner Dixie Again. She trialed up fairly enough earlier this month running 3rd in her heat without having too much asked of her. The winner of that trial was an easy winner on debut last week. She’ll sit handy and can run on here. (5) THUNDER CLOUD was a close at hand 5th over 1400M on her last start on June 3rd. She can settle behind the speed here and has a god finish on her. (8) GOLD SWEET and (3) SORI TAEPUNG are others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(1) Sinui Jeonsa (6) Dixie Band (5) Thunder Cloud (8) Gold Sweet|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(8) RUNNING WARRIOR gets the nod here. After an indifferent beginning to her career, she appears to have begun figuring things out in her latest two recording a 3rd and a 4th, both over 1300M. Her times have been nothing special but she won’t need to improve much to win this and can be expected to be on pace from the start. (9) STAR MATTA has been well supported in both outings so far, following a strong trial. He has raced adequately and the engagement of an apprentice jockey brings him right down in the weights today. He should go close. (4) NOBLE COWBOY also finally looked like a racehorse when an improved 4th over this distance on June 3rd. He can build on that here and aim to place again. (1) SPECIAL FACT and (5) YEONGCHEON POWER others who can find the money.
|Selections||(8) Running Warrior (9) Star Matta (4) Noble Cowboy (1) Special Fact|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A small field but a good one with plenty of winning chances. (3) KING GOLIATH has won just once from eleven attempts but has eight top-three finishes, including a 3rd on June 17th at this class and distance when returning from five months off. That was a tough ask first-up and he ran well and should strip fitter as a result. He has a big chance here. (7) WONDERFUL SECRET comes up in class having won at this distance on June 10th when on pace throughout and coming home in a fast time. The set weight conditions don’t do him any favours here but he should be measuring up in this company. (4) CHEONGHO LEADER and (8) YEONGCHEON SOLEMIO came home 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other at this distance back on May 15th. Both should be competitive here. (1) DUMUSAN will be running on late and while up significantly in the weights, can be a danger.
|Selections||(3) King Goliath (7) Wonderful Secret (4) Cheongho Leader (8) Yeongcheon Solemio|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) HAMAN BONGHWASAN is the one to beat here. She has been consistent over five starts so far with his win being a front-running performance over 1300M. At her latest start at 1200M on May 27th, the sat behind the pace and ran 3rd when favourite but is worth another chance here in slightly softer company. (2) PURPLE MANGO was an all the way winner over this distance at class 6 level two starts back and while she was only 5th on her first try at this class on June 10th, she draws much better today and should get closer. (8) CHIEF OFFICER ran 3rd in that same race, an uptick on recent form and can maintain his momentum here. (11) COLOR WIND ran a good 3rd at her latest start. She has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and while the draw is not in her favour, she can be considered. The returning (4) SMARTY DOLPUNG trialed up well.
|Selections||(5) Haman Bonghwasan (2) Purple Mango (8) Chief Officer (11) Color Wind|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) DOKBO comes rapidly up in class having won her latest two, both at this distance and both times practically making all. This is harder, but she comes in very nicely weighted, the draw is fine and she can win again. The big danger is (7) H. DAY. A winner of two from five so far and never worse than 5th, she comes in following a fast 2nd place behind Beautiful King on April 1st. She has had thirteen weeks off since so comes in fresh and will be running on strong late on here. Also running on late will be (4) GOLDEN. He came from off the pace to run 2nd behind the excellent Usurp at class and distance on June 10th and can be a danger again here. (2) A ONE PLUS and (11) INDIE MAGIC among plenty of others in the hunt for at least a place.
|Selections||(8) Dokbo (7) H. Day (4) Golden (2) A One Plus|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(8) YASAENGHWA is the one to beat here. She steps up in trip following a 2nd and a 3rd in two tries at this class after her maiden win over 1300M in April. She has finished off her races well and this should suit. (7) WONDERFUL BOBCAT is yet to win in eight starts but comes up in class here after a few too many near-misses. They include a good 2nd place over this distance in May in a time that should see him competitive here and he warrants consideration. (4) HOLLYWOOD QUEEN was a class and distance winner two starts back and while she couldn’t follow up when returning to action two weeks ago, she is nicely weighted and drawn here and can be a danger. (6) CHOEGANG MARINE and (5) ADELE BOSS are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(8) Yasaenghwa (7) Wonderful Bobcat (4) Hollywood Queen (6) Choegang Marine|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Since winning on debut, in April of last year, it’s been near-miss after near-miss for (7) GOLDEN BYEORAK. At his latest start, his first at this class, he ran 3rd over 1400M when on pace and he comes back to this trip for the very first time since that initial win. It could be his day. (5) BOLAVEN comes up in class following a second won on June 10th over the 1400M. His other win came over this distance in in a good time and down in the weights here, he can be measuring up in this company. (4) WORLD SOCKS enters off a strong 2nd place at class and distance behind Busanhang Galmaegi on May 13th. She is another who likes to get forward in her races and can be dangerous here. (2) FLAT BABE beat four of these on her way to 2nd place at this class over 1400M on June 10th. She is up in the weights but that’s balanced by a better gate. (10) WONDERFUL FAGER another to consider.
|Selections||(7) Golden Byeorak (5) Bolaven (4) World Socks (2) Flat Babe|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 11|