The Listed Sports Chosun Trophy at Seoul is the feature race of the day but there is plenty going on across the cards, including appearances by the likes of Eoma Eoma, Morfhis and East Jet in a big handicap. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 plus 6 at Busan from 12:00 to 16:40. All betting locations are open, however, attendance must be pre-booked through the MyCard app. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies kick things off and we’ll be happy to side with the solitary first-time starter. That’s (7) DREAM ROSE who comes in having performed well in a trial two weeks ago when she led for much of the way around, ultimately crossing the line just half a length behind last year’s Oaks winner Choegang Black in a decent time. If se brings that kind of form to the races, she can produce a bold showing first-up here. (6) CONCORD QUEEN will dispute favourite status. After an indifferent debut, she has done well in her latest two, racing prominently throughout. She’ll be on the speed here and has every chance. So too (4) SONGAM BEST, who has run 3rd in both starts so far at 1000M and 1200M. She too is likely to be up on the early speed and can go close. (1 ) ARCH RIVER ran through the line well enough on debut and may appreciate the additional trip today. (8) TOP POSITION another one in the frame for improvement.
|Selections||(7) Dream Rose (6) Concord Queen (4) Songam Best (1) Arch River|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
More maidens here, this time with three of the twelve racing for the first time. (3) CONCORDE SPURT is the one to beat having finished no worse than 4th in three starts so far including his latest when coming from midfield to run on well for 2nd place. He draws a better gate today and should have too much. (2) EUREKA has run well for 4th in both his latest two aces, the most recent of which was over today’s distance. He ran the same time for the 1200M as Concorde Spurt and looks one of the more credible dangers in this field. (8) PURPLE WORLD ran a good 2nd on debut over 1000M on January 29th. He should have come on for the experience and there is no reason the additional furlong can’t suit. Of the first timers, (9) CHAPEL PRINCESS looks the best placed to make an immediate impact having won a trial at the end of January. (1) RAON THE CHUKJE can potentially improve having received a good draw for the first time.
|Selections||(3) Concorde Spurt (2) Eureka (8) Purple World (9) Chapel Princess|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It’s hard to go past (2) KING CRUSH here. He has been consistent across his seven starts so far with his best being 3rd place two starts back over 1300M. He has run fair times and from a nice draw should be hard to beat. (4) DONGSEO YEOGEOL is the only runner in the race with a 2nd place to her name, which she achieved four starts ago in early December. She can be on pace here and should be in this a long way. (5) P N S HER has three 4th place finishes from six starts so far, including her latest two. She has also recorded the fastest time among these for the distance and should be aiming for a career-best finish in this company. (10) SINJURYU has a best finish of 3rd. He tends to settle back and tries to run on so the wide draw may not be a concern. (8) MYEONGJIN CANDY the only other one in the race to have hinted at much ability so far.
|Selections||(2) King Crush (4) Dongseo Yeogeol (5) P N S Her (10) Sinjuryu|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 8|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
One of two first-time starters, (1) HAMYANGEUN SANSAM looks the one to beat here. He wasn’t ready when trialed for the first-time last September but looked a totally different prospect when on pace throughout and crossing the line first in another heat in February. Drawn nicely on the inside, he won’t need to improve much on that to win. (2) SEOGWI CHUKJE ran fairly for 5th at start number two on February 11th, going right back and then running on over 1200M. The slight step up in trip can be a bonus here. (7) SPECIAL WIND was 6th in that same race on what was his debut. He should have come for that and with natural improvement can be aiming for the places here. (4) ALL CROWN and (8) UNJU STAR look the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(1) Hamyangeun Sansam (2) Seogwi Chukje (7) Special Wind (4) All Crown|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (4) MAGIC TIDE was a winner at this class over 1200M two starts back before finishing 4th on her latest outing, again at 1200M, on February 19th in what was arguably tougher company than this. She has run a fair time at this distance and while she comes up in the weights, she gets a better draw than last time and will be favourite to strike here. (7) COOL PRINCESS has also run a good time for the distance and comes in looking as though she is working towards another victory with a 4th and a 3rd from her latest two outings at 1200M and 1300M. She has settled back in midfield in those but may be ridden bit further forward today and can be a danger. (3) HAPPY SOCKS will need a line drawn through her latest when she struggled from a wide gate. Much better drawn and slightly down in weight she can be given another chance here. (10) CHEONEUNCHONG comes up in class having got her maiden win at start three on February 13th. She is up in trip too but in this company should measure up. Also up in class, (11) LAGERTHA is another to consider.
|Selections||(4) Magic Tide (7) Cool Princess (3) Happy Socks (10) Cheoneunchong|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
A very tricky race. (9) BLUE CARSON has been as consistent as any across her eight starts so far – i.e., she has mixed her form but has a 3rd and a 2nd to her name at this distance as well as fair times. The draw won’t matter so much, and she can make the breakthrough here. (4) WIND CROSS comes in following a good 3rd place over 1400M during which he led at times. He should be on pace again today and can be in this long way again. (11) INDIE MAGIC was a good 2nd on debut and while he had a hard time on his second appearance on February 25th, that was his first try at 1200M and he can have come on for that run and be in the mix here. (10) B.K. HANA and (2) ARTIE’S GAL are others who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Blue Carson (4) Wind Cross (11) Indie Magic (10) B.K. Hana|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Good race. (6) TITAN SOCKS is the top pick and probable favourite. He is yet to finish outside the top-five in four starts which includes a win over 1200M at class 6 level back in January. At his latest start on February 26th, he stepped up to this class and distance and sat midfield before running on for 3rd. He carries the same weight today, draws better, and may take some beating. (3) DAEMUL comes up in class and distance having got his maiden win at start number two on February 19th when handy throughout and running on to win very well. He comes down a couple of kilos in weight and there is not reason why he can’t measure up in this company. (5) RUNNING NUMBER ONE was a winner at this distance at class 6 level two starts back and while he could only manage 6th on his first try at this class on February 19th, he can be given another chance today. It’s been a while since (4) AMAZING WHIZ was in the winner’s circle, but she is a model of consistency and this is the kind of race she knows how to find the minor money in. (10) BRAVO SOCKS and (1) THAT’S MY BOY, the latter along with Running Number One the only previous winner at this distance, are others to consider.
|Selections||(6) Titan Socks (3) Daemul (5) Running Number One (4) Amazing Whiz|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) ORANGE GARAGE was an all the way winner over a mile on March 4th, continuing the progress he has made at every start. He comes up in class and in distance today but comes down in the weights, Seo Seung-un remains aboard and he draws well for another bold showing at what could well be an each-way price. (4) WONDERFUL WORLD showed signs of a return to form when beating a few of these on his way to 3rd place at lass and distance on February 20th. He tends to go back and run on and can match or better that finish here. (7) DOCTOR PHAROAH had a bit of a wobble at the tail end of last year but hinted at a return to form with a good 3rd place over 1200M at this class on February 11th. He comes up in class here but can measure up. (11) SINJIN GANGHO stretches out to 1800M having put in an encouraging run of form over a mile recently. He settles back and then runs on so the wide draw is no issue, and he will be doing his best work later here. The consistent (8) STORM BROWN is another in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(5) Orange Garage (4) Wonderful World (7) Doctor Pharoah (11) Sinjin Gangho|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) CHOTOMA comes in having been a beaten favourite in a slowly run race at this class over 1800M on February 26th, when he went right back and then ran on but couldn’t get to the winner. With this being run at handicap weights, he is much better in and with Moon Se-young climbing aboard, he is set to be the favourite again here. (8) WOW WOW is rapidly up in class having won his latest two up to 1400M, sitting handy to the speed both times. He comes up in trip too but looks to have scope for more development and can be competitive here. (2) SERVE ACE ran 3rd in the Korean Oaks at Busan last November. She finds herself nicely in at the weights here and from a nice draw can return to form. (6) NONGBON BADA was a winner at this level over 1800M two starts back and then beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd place, again at 1800M, at her latest outing. She can mix her form, but she only comes up 1kg in the weights and can be dangerous. (12) LAST BOSS another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Chotoma (8) Wow Wow (2) Serve Ace (6) Nongbon Bada|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) MILLION BANK is set to be a warm favourite here. She comes in having won at this class over 1200M on February 25th when she overcame gate fourteen to lead all the way around. She comes up 3.5kg in the weights but that is balanced by a much better draw, and she may take some beating again. (13) GOOD TANK beat Million Bank as well as a couple of other of today’s rivals when winning at class and distance on January 28th. She then ran a fair 6th over 1200M a month ago. She does carry 4kg more than that January win but can be a danger here. (5) CLEAR ran 4th behind Million Bank in that February 25th race, sitting just behind the pace throughout. He gets a much better gate this time and at his third start this preparation, may be peaking here. (1) KINGS LANDING and (12) HAEUNDAE BADA are others to consider for the places.
|Selections||(2) Million Bank (13) Good Tank (5) Clear (1) Kings Landing|
|Next Best||12, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Fillies and mares here. (7) LUMINOUS QUEEN comes back in trip after a couple of fair efforts over 1400M where she hasn’t had the best of the draw. She has a great finish on her though so if she can find a handy position early, she has a big chance. Lots of these raced each other at class and distance on February 12th. (12) WOL YEONG I ran 2nd that day, like today having drawn the outside gate. That came off the back of a good win at this distance at class 5 level. With a little early luck here, she can go very close. (5) OLD BLADE won that February 12th race, coming from well off the pace. That was a big uptick in form, and she didn’t exactly impress in a trial last Friday, but nevertheless warrants some respect here. (6) BEST CHEONSANG was 3rd in that race, her sixth time finishing in that position, and she can place again. (11) JEDI FORCE among others in the frame.
|Selections||(7) Luminous Queen (12) Wol Yeong I (5) Old Blade (6) Best Cheonsang|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
After finishing 5th on debut, (1) DAEHO JEONSEOL has a win, and two runner-up finishes to his name which bring him up in class here. He very nearly made all over 1800M at his latest start and the drop back in trip coupled with the great draw, means that this race should be his to lose. (3) MARK ONE had a hard day at the office at his latest outing on February 11th when drawn wide and scarcely playing a role, although he did run on late. The time before he was a class and distance winner and with a better gate and Kim Hye-sun returning to the ride, he should go much better. (5) BUSAN MISO has the fastest time among any of these at the distance and come sin off back-to-back 3rd 2nd place finishes, both at class and distance and should go close again. (8) CAPTAIN STEALTH and (4) ONE PICK are the logical other choices for the places.
|Selections||(1) Daeho Jeonseol (3) Mark One (5) Busan Miso (8) Captain Stealth|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) Sports Chosun Trophy (Listed) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
Absolutely super race this. (5) CHIEF INDY is the favourite and one to beat. He ran 2nd in his only start at this distance in the Group 2 Minister’s Cup last December and then followed it up with a nice win last start at 1800M at class 3 level when he settled handy to the lead and ran on. He is nicely drawn and down in weight. (13) DETERMINATION has shown staying ability and has been most impressive in winning his latest two starts at class 3 level. He does have the challenge of the wide barrier, but he is no stranger to that and could still have more to come. (4) SPOT FLATTER comes in with solid staying form too and was a last start class 3 winner at 1800M in a good time. He is nicely drawn and can settle handy to the lead or midfield. (6) DAEHAN JILJU is another with great staying form and if right will give this a big shake. A mild concern is that 2000M is a big ask for his first run of the year, but his class can see him through. (8) CHOEGANG GAME among plenty of others with at least placing claims.
|Selections||(5) Chief Indy (13) Determination (4) Spot Flatter (6) Daehan Jilju|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 11, 13|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
After back-to-back 3rd place finishes, (8) ROCKY SKY comes down a couple of kilograms in the weights today and looks nicely in for a potential win. He has run consistently good times and, in this company, can be leading or handy early. (9) SO MUCH GO ran a creditable 4th over 1400M on his first try at this class on February 25th with a couple of today’s rivals behind him. He is another who doesn’t exactly win out of turn, but he has a strong finish on him and will be coming home well late on. (7) AKER’S DREAM should be better for coming back in trip. He was a class and distance winner three starts back in a fast time coming from off the pace and shouldn’t be ruled out here. Nor too (6) ONNURI JILJU, who had a hard time along with Aker’s Dream at 1400M last time but was a very sharp winner over this distance at class 3 level two starts ago. The wildcard is (10) WONDERFUL MORNING, who last raced in June 2020. He had a fine record before the layoff but didn’t offer too many clues when trialing back in January – he could be anything here.
|Selections||(8) Rocky Sky (9) So Much Go (7) Aker’s Dream (6) Onnuri Jilju|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) DONGJIN CHOEGANG is a winner of three races over 1200M but has been running on well and while he finished midfield in the KRA Cup Mile, he returned after a couple of months to finish 2nd at this class and distance on January 29th. He is the one to beat here. (12) M J BEST comes in looking for a hat-trick on wins having scored at 1300M and 1400M in his latest two, the most recent at this class. He can race forward, or midfield and the wide barrier hasn’t been a worry in the past. (1) MYEONGJIN DAY has finished no worse than 4th in seven starts so far and has won at this distance. The set weight scale doesn’t favour him here, but he is too good to dismiss. (8) TIZ BLACK has been consistent at this class and comes off a good 2nd place at this distance after settling handy to the lead. He can go close again today. (4) SECRET BOSS another with good consistency who should be in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(7) Dongjin Choegang (12) M J Best (1) Myeongjin Day (8) Tiz Black|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
This is an open race but we’re happy to side with (9) ROYAL ELVIS, who will probably be favourite after a good 2nd place at this class and distance on January 1c5th when he raced on the pace and wide from gate thirteen. He can add to his win column today. (3) MUNHAK ENCORE has done most of his recent work over the staying trips, but he does like to be on pace in his races. He has a nice draw to get an easy run early and he can be in the finish. (14) MUNHAK SUN has two wins at 1400M and placed 3rd at this class and distance at his latest start. He tends to get well back in his races anyway so the outside barrier may not be too problematic. (7) THUNDER TIME can have his latest start disregarded as it was his first time at the class and the gate didn’t favour. Instead go on his previous outing when he won well over 1200M at class 4 level when slowly away and running on. (6) GLOBAL SINHWA another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Royal Elvis (3) Munhak Encore (14) Munhak Sun (7) Thunder Time|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(2) EOMA EOMA is a star galloper with ten wins to his credit, six of them at 1400M and he is the track record holder. He carries plenty of weight but unlike at this latest start, he is beautifully drawn here and will start a justified favourite. (8) BLACK MUSK faces a huge rise in class here compared with his last start win at this distance, however he is greatly down in weight, and he can run good times. He may be worth a chance at an each-way price. (1) MORFHIS is one of the grand old gentlemen of Seoul Racecourse with seven wins at this distance. He will settle handy to midfield and then power home and from a better draw, can perhaps get a softer run than usual. (9) EAST JET is yet to run further than 1200M and has a pattern of racing on pace. He isn’t favoured by the barrier here but is way too good to be disregarded. (10) LEGEND DAY beat Eoma Eoma in a race blown apart by Raon The Fighter at this distance back in January and while he is less favourably drawn today, he still has next to no weight on his back and could sneak a place again.
|Selections||(2) Eoma Eoma (8) Black Musk (1) Morfhis (9) East Jet|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9, 10|