It’s Champion Juvenile Sunday at Busan where the Korean Breeders’ Cup over 1400 will decide the best two-year-old of 2021. Twelve go in the race which is the final one on Busan’s seven-race card which runs from 11:10 to 16:40. There are ten races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. All betting locations within Korea will be open with a cap of 80% of indoor capacity. Attendance must be booked in advance through the MyCard app and proof of vaccination against Covid-19 are required. Here are the previews of every race:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener with just two racing for the first time. (6) JAY TROSS just came up short when favourite on what was her second start on October 30th at this distance when 2nd all the way around and just couldn’t get to the winner. The time was good, and she will be red-hot favourite to get it right this time. The main danger may be one of the debut-makers. (2) GLOBAL FIRST ran a solid trial and while that was back in September and she needs a run to avoid having to qualify again, a couple of others in this race also went in that heat and she handily dispatched them. From a good draw, she can go close. (8) CASH BACK was significant improver at start two on November 7th when leading early and ultimately finishing 3rd over this distance in a decent time and won’t need to improve too much to place here. (9) G STAR has been solid if unspectacular across two outings so far and beat a couple of these at his latest appearance. (3) ACE PLAN another who can improve.
|Selections||(6) Jay Tross (2) Global First (8) Cash Back (9) G Star|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 8|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens and seven of the twelve race for the very first time and it is from those debut-makers that the top picks come from. (11) GREEN CHEETAH put in a very good trial, running seemingly within himself with just a little effort asked for towards the end. It was a fast time and while he draws wide, Franco Da Silva in the saddle should be able to help him overcome that and win. (2) LEGEND NUMBER ONE was a bit slow to begin in his trial but ran on very pleasingly, under hands and heels, crossing the line 4th in a fair time. He draws well and if he gets away smoothly, rates as a chance. (5) RAON THE TANK too wasn’t the quickest out of the traps in his trial but made good ground later and was unhurried in his finish. (10) SUPER CRACK beat a couple of his when trialing fairly in November, an improvement on his first qualification heat. You Hyun-myung climbs aboard for the race and he has placing chances. Among the experienced ones, (8) MONEY CASE is the clear pick having finished 4th on debut back in August. He has been back to trial since and can benefit from his experience here.
|Selections||(11) Green Cheetah (2) Legend Number One (5) Raon The Tank (10) Super Crack|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Several of these raced one another at class and distance on November 7th. (2) NUMBER ONE TARGET finished the best of them, recovering from a bump at the start and running on to finish a good 2nd, her best finish to date. We’ll stick with her to beat them again and this time go one better. It’s probably that (3) RUBY CAT will be favourite to overturn the form from that day though. She has steadily improved across four starts today and was 3rd in that November 7th race. She was on the other end of that bump with Number One Target at the start but recovered well. If her improvement continues on the same trajectory that it has done so far from start to start, then she can be winning here. (1) NO SMALL SUN comes back up in trip following consecutive 4th place finishes over 1000M and from the inside gate can be a danger. (11) MORNING PEARL ran a much-improved 2nd last time out and along with (10) EUNHYE CHUNGMAN, 5th in that November 7th race, is to be considered for a place.
|Selections||(2) Number One Target (3) Ruby Cat (1) No Small Sun (11) Morning Pearl|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(8) B. K. HANA ran a strong 2nd in a fast time over 1000M at her latest start on November 5th when handy and running on. She ran 5th at this distance on debt in August before finishing well back in a good race in September. She is in shallower eaters here and from the inside gate and with Perovic on her back, she is the one to beat. (1) HAEGA TTEUGO is one of two first-time starts in the race and seems to have potential. It took him two goes to qualify but he won the second of those attempts, breaking fairly before taking the lead and running on in a good time. If he brings that form to the races, then he can go close. (6) NEW CROWN has mixed his form across seven starts so far, but was a strong 3rd at his latest appearance, running on well from midfield. A repeat will see him in the finish today. (11) GEUMA STARLET and (5) HOT PLAY are others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) B. K. Hana (1) Haega Tteugo (6) New Crown (11) Geuma Starlet|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) GUITARIST beat a couple of these on his way to 2nd place at this class and distance on October 30th. It was his best performance to date and fastest time of any of these that have tried the distance and should be enough to give him favourite status here. If he fails to arrive in tune then (4) THAT’S MY BOY and (2) JEOLMEUN YOUNGUNG, who came home 3rd and 4th in that October race, look set to be the best place to take advantage. Both came form off the pace that day to finish well and That’s My Boy is significantly better drawn this time around. If you don’t fancy that race very much, then (6) SANGSEUNG HAENGJIN and (5) SOUJU came home 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other over 1400M on November 6th and look the next best.
|Selections||(3) Guitarist (4) That’s My Boy (2) Jeolmeun Youngung (6) Sangseung Haengjin|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A very tricky race but something has to win. We’ll therefore take a chance on (2) YEONSEUNG BRAVO who, barring a dismal spin around 1400M two weeks ago, has been racing with some consistency recently. He has the fastest time of any of these at this distance and from a nice draw can get that latest run out of his system here. Probably favourite is (7) BARBELL STORM, who made a big step up to this trip at start number four on November 12th, having previously only raced over 1000M. He led into the home straight and ultimately came home 3rd in a run of merit and can have come on for that. Beating him that day was (10) SOL INVICTUS, who scored his best finish so far on his twentieth start. He might not have as much improvement in him as Barbell Storm but warrants some respect here. (4) SILVER LADY and (1) CHEONMA YEONGUNG are other placing hopes.
|Selections||(2) Yeonseung Bravo (7) Barbell Storm (10) Sol Invictus (4) Silver Lady|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) SOBERANIA broke through at start number three over 1200M on September 19th, leading from gate to wire from a wide draw. She has had a couple of months off since then and she is up in both class and marginally in distance, but she should have too much for this field. (6) K N MENIQUEEN returns from an even lengthier time out. She last raced in June when she beat a couple of these on her way to 4th place at class and distance, but she trialed up fairly in November and looks right in this first-up today. (3) CHOWONUI GIJEOK is yet to finish any better than 3rd but she has recorded the fastest time among those here who have raced at the distance already. At her last start she ran a good 5th at class and distance having settled midfield and can match or better today. (4) MISS CAMP steps up to this distance for the first time and given her latest couple of outings where she has been doing her best work late, it may suit. (12) AFLEET MARINE another in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Soberania (6) K N Meniqueen (3) Chowonui Gijeok (4) Miss Camp|
|Next Best||12, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here. (12) THE FIRST FACTOR has been racing consistently over this class at a mile with three consecutive 3rd place finishes. She does draw wide here but has raced well over this trip in the past and while she may need some luck to get a forward position from the start, she can win this. (7) SONHADOR had been working towards a win, which duly came in an all-filly affair over 1300M at class 6 level on November 12th when she was on pace all the way. She comes up in class and slightly in trip today but looks firmly in this. (11) BANJIUI GIJEOK has come close to a win on a couple of occasions. She is another who seems to go best when on pace so also might need some early luck from a wide draw but can go close on what is her first try at 1400M. (4) MARK ACE and (1) WISE GIRL are others in the mix for money finishes.
|Selections||(12) The First Factor (7) Sonhador (11) Banjiui Gijeok (4) Mark Ace|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
It’s about time that (6) BEOLMAL DAEJANG found his way into the winner’s circle. He has race nine times for three 2nd places, three 3rd places and three 4th places. He has finished in front of several of these already, has recorded the fastest time of any at the distance, and from a good draw is the one to beat. Should he manage to come up short once more, (2) SINUI HANSU might be the one to take advantage. He made all to win over this distance on November 6th and while he is up in class today, he draws nicely again and can continue to make progress here. (5) COWBOY TANGO was 4th behind Beolmal Daejang’s 2nd two starts back and then ran a good 3rd at 1300M on his latest outing. He likes to come from off the pace and will be working home well here. (4) BRAVO SOCKS and (9) GOLD K are others who may enter the equation.
|Selections||(6) Beolmal Daejang (2) Sinui Hansu (5) Cowboy Tango (4) Bravo Socks|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 11, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) KING GOLIATH can have his latest start in the Korean Derby disregarded and instead should be looked at as picking up where he left off from at this track when 2nd over this distance on October 10th at class 5 level. He is up in class but down in weight here and from the inside gate looks the one to beat. (5) YEOKJEON MYEONGSU returned from a lengthy absence to win over 1400M on October 31st, settling in midfield and running on. Prior to his layoff, he ran 3rd to Yeongung Louis, who has gone on to good things. He comes up a full 6kg in the weights and tackles two turns for the first time, but he does look to have a bit of class about him. (8) STAR EYE won four in a row up to this May, including at class and distance, but hasn’t raced since a 4th place at class and distance in June. He resumes having trialed fairly and is worth keeping safe. (4) SNYDER was a close 3rd on his last start and along with (6) DOCTOR GIANTS is another with placing claims.
|Selections||(1) King Goliath (5) Yeokjeon Myeongsu (8) Star Eye (4) Snyder|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) FIGHTING DADDY has run 2nd in both his latest two starts, both over 1400M and both having led for much of the way around only to get taken down late on by good winners. He drops back to 1200M here, has the fastest start in the field and draws excellently to lead again. He should win. The main danger is (3) THUNDER TIME, who was a strong class and distance winner two starts back in a fast time, coning from a handy position. It didn’t really happen for him at his latest effort when he was drawn wide, but he can be much better today. (5) MONEY SILK can mix his form but has plenty of ability and can race handy or go back and run on and has placing chances here. (4) CHOEGO RACE won at class and distance in July and has put in two fair performances since. He looks nicely in here and can be a danger. (6) DUSON MEONGGUN another in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(2) Fighting Daddy (3) Thunder Time (5) Money Silk (4) Choego Race|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(7) SKY MORE was last seen having a hard time in the Korean Derby in Seoul last month, but he should have things easier today. Prior to the Derby he had two class four wins with the most recent being at 1800M. He goes best when forward early and with a small field and an adequate enough draw, he is the one to beat. (2) YEONGGWANGUICHUKJE has raced at this distance five times, failing to place just once. Admittedly that was at his latest start on October 31st, but he was first-up that day following almost six months out. He can improve on that and should be in the finish. (5) TOP MATE loves finishing 2nd, something he has now done eight out of fifteen starts. He comes up in class but significantly down in weight here and should measure up – at least for the placings. (9) GREAT BOSS steps up to this distance for the first time having performed solidly at this class over a mile. He was a fair 4th at his latest at that distance in a strong field and the potentially easier tempo at 1800M may suit. (6) DOCTOR SKY the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Sky More (2) Yeonggwanguichukje (5) Top Mate (9) Great Boss|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(4) BEST LINE drops back in trip today after recent outings at further including a good 2nd over 1400M at this class two starts back when he led. Johan Victoire returns to the mount, and he draws well to get to a handy position early with solid claims to go close. Probable favourite is (5) DREAM PO RE, based on his last start 2nd at class and distance when he overcame gate ten to sit midfield and then run on strong. He was sent off at lengthy odds that day, but he had been consistently running good times in good races and should get more respect this time with every chance of scoring. (6) MENI CHAMP had a poor day at the office over 1800M at his latest start but should be much happier dropped back in trip here. Like Dream Po Re, he has consistently run fast times at the distance and should be going close. (3) ALL BAEK is another whose recent runs are better than his finishing position suggests. Since his last start he has blitzed a November trial and should enter the calculations. (8) LUCKY BONGSEONG another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Best Line (5) Dream Po Re (6) Meni Champ (3) All Baek|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 10|
Busan Race 7: Class Open (1400M) “Breeders’ Cup” (KOR-G2) Allowance / KRW 450 Million
This race will decide the year’s champion juvenile. (11) MAN OF THE YEAR put in an outstanding run when 2nd in the Gimhae Mayor’s Cup over 1200M when wide a lot of the trip and then ran on resolutely. He should be better suited to this trip but may need luck in running. (3) COMPLETE VALUE is unbeaten in four starts, completing the Rookie Stakes/Munhwa Ilbo Cup double in Seoul but hasn’t been seen since. Regardless of the layoff, he is too good to be left out and is nicely drawn. Versatile in his racing style, he has a big chance. (6) YEONGGWANGUILEGEND did the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes/Gimhae Mayor’s Cup double over 1200M. The additional furlong may be a test, but he has solid claims again. (8) ASPEN TAEYANG is three for three and showed plenty of character with a battling win in the Nonghyup Chairman’s race at the end of October. Moon Se Young is tempted down from Seoul to ride and he will have plenty of backers. (2) HWARANG BEST and (10) MONGTTANG among others in the hunt in what should be a fascinating affair.
|Selections||(11) Man Of The Year (3) Complete Value (6) Yeonggwanguilegend (8) Aspen Taeyang|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) ON POINT has only missed the top four on one occasion in ten starts and comes in here having run 2nd on his first attempt at this distance on October 16th when he settled midfield before being shuffled back but then running on very well in a good time. He only comes up 1kg for it and is the one to beat here. (10) THUNDER WIND ran 3rd in that same race, continuing a run of consistent form at the distance. He tends to go right back anyway so the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and he can go close again today. (8) COLJOY was a winner at this distance at class five level three starts back and comes in off a runner-up finish at this level when he led for most of the way. He will be looking to get a lead again and won’t be easy to pass. (12) TYCHE FIRE, up in class, and (1) CHOIN GANGJA are others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(7) On Point (10) Thunder Wind (8) Coljoy (12) Tyche Fire|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(10) MIGHTY POP comes up in class having won over 1700M on November 6th when sitting in 2nd most of the way around before proving too strong at the finish. He should be able to measure up at this level and comes down slightly in the weights. He has a big chacen although to win, he will need to overturn the form on (4) HEUNGROK DAEBU, who beat him when the pair finished 1st and 2nd over 1700M at class 4 level on October 2nd. Heungrok Daebu has since gone on to run 3rd at this class and distance, beating a number of today’s rivals. He overcame gate twelve that day to lead all the way around and from a better draw today and carrying only an additional kilogram, probably warrants favourite status. (8) DORAON POPEYE comes in off a strong class and distance 2nd place. He likes to sit midfield and run on and has claims to go close again. (11) HIDDEN SOCKS was a class and distance winner two starts back and should be in the mix once more. (2) WONDERFUL INDIAN another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(10) Mighty Pop (4) Heungrok Daebu (8) Doraon Popeye (11) Hidden Socks|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(2) MIGHTY GO was a super winner at class and distance on November 6th, sitting handy before running on to score with ease. He has run some sensational times at this distance and while he does throw in the occasional poor performance, has to go on top here. (7) ROLLER BLADE has won both starts of his comeback in August and October, both times leading all the way. He enters class 1 for the first time but comes down considerably in the weights and has the ability to measure up. (5) LEGEND DAY is a winner of seven from nine so far and while he only managed 4th on his first try at class on October 17th, he may have learned from that experience and should be given another chance here. (8) CUPID GUY and (9) MYEONGPUM CHUKJE, who both beat Legend Day in that race, are others who must be taken seriously.
|Selections||(2) Mighty Go (7) Roller Blade (5) Legend Day (8) Cupid Guy|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 12|