It’s Busan’s turn to take the weekend off so It’s just Seoul on duty. There are 10 races on Saturday from 11:00 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Twelve previously unraced two-year-olds go around here. Eight of them are fillies and it’s one of those who is set to be favourite. (4) LADY FIRST beat three of today’s rivals in her trial when she showed prominently and ran on well for 2nd. The time was nothing out of the ordinary but it wasn’t a quick heat all round and if she brings that form to the races, she may prove hard to beat. (5) PUREUN YOJEONG ran 3rd in the same trial. She came from off the pace and finished off well and with some natural improvement, she can be in the finish here. The only trial winner in the field is (9) LAROMANEE. She made all to come home comfortably on top and while the draw doesn’t favour her, she will be expected to aim to lead and has solid claims. (8) POWER BOX will be looking to get on pace as well and can be considered, while (11) FAST TRACK is another who did nothing wrong in his trial
|Selections||(4) Lady First (5) Pureun Yojeong (9) Laromanee (8) Power Box|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
Three-year-old maidens here and we’re going to take a chance on one of the four first-time starters. (1) YEONGWANGUI CAPTAIN has taken a long time to be ready having first trialed up in September last year. He won a trial last November, making all but never raced and then finally reappeared in early July. He took part that day in a fast trial with some experienced horses and acquitted himself well, running 4th in a good time. He won’t need to improve much off that in order to win first-up here. (5) WONDERFUL HWASEONG has improved across three starts so far culminating in a good 2nd last time out when he was handy throughout before running on well at this distance. He draws the same gate today and looks the main danger. In a race of patchy form, the 2nd place secured by (2) MODERN TIMES on debut back in May puts her right in this regardless of the underwhelming 5th she managed on reappearance a month ago. She draws well to lead. (9) BIG POCKET offered no evidence of ability in four starts up to June. He did though win a trial last month and accordingly will have backers. Another first-time starter, (10) K N PARK, looks the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(1) Yeongwangui Captain (5) Wonderful Hwaseong (2) Modern Times (9) Big Pocket|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(4) K BLADE racked up three consecutive 3rd place finishes before running out of steam having led over this distance last time out. Nevertheless, he has the fastest time of any of these at 1300M and it would be no surprise if he made it tenth time lucky today. Another one with plenty of near-misses is (12) CUPID KOREA. He has a 2nd place over 1400M to his name as well as some solid efforts at today’s trip. He doesn’t tend to lead so the wide draw shouldn’t be an issue and he looks to be a danger. (5) COOL PRINCESS has mixed her form but she has proven capable of running good times. She draws well and looks set to lead here. (2) OFFICER COMMANDING and (11) GRAND STAR are among others with hopes of competing for a place.
|Selections||(4) K Blade (12) Cupid Korea (5) Cool Princess (2) Officer Commanding|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(6) BURUI YEOWANG is a winner of two from three so far including last start which was at this class over 1200M. She has led or been right on pace in all three outings to date and while she comes up a couple of kilos in the weights and stretches out slightly in trip, she draws well and can win again. (11) BODYGUARD comes in seeking a hat-trick of victories. Both have come at this distance and both times he has come from off the pace, suggesting that the wide draw is of little consequence. He steps up in class today but should be competitive. (10) HAPPY DAY is yet to win but has had three near-misses from four starts. She comes up in class following a desperately close defeat at 1200M a month ago. She was doing her best work late on that day and slightly more distance to play with may suit. (2) LONDON QUEEN beat a couple of these when 2nd at this class over 1200M on June 20th and has placing chances again. (9) GAGANA among a number of others in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(6) Burui Yeowang (11) Bodyguard (10) Happy Day (2) London Queen|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
It’s about time that (6) BEST TIME returned to the winner’s circle. Since her solitary win she has consistently run fast times and has had several near-misses including a solid 3rd at her latest outing over 1400M. She comes back in trip here and gets in under a light weight and can settle midfield and run on strong. (9) GLOBAL SUN registered three consecutive wins around the turn of the year which saw her promoted to this class. She comes in off a fair 4th at 1200M in June and a similar run today would see her not far off. (8) CHEONJI YEOGEOL was 4th behind Best Time at her latest start. She comes up a bit in the weights but can sit just off the pace here and run on strong. (10) GOOD VOW has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and along with (1) MASEONG TUHON, looks to have solid placing claims.
|Selections||(6) Best Time (9) Global Sun (8) Cheonji Yeogeol (10) Good Vow|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(6) ROYAL ROAD stepped up to this trip at his latest starts and ran a solid 3rd in decent company. He has already won at this level over 1400M and is tactically versatile as he can lead or go back and run on. He is giving weight away but really should take some beating in this company. (9) ALPHA DOK put in a decent shift when 4th on his first try at both class and distance on June 5th. He generally runs best when leading or close to the pace and if he can find a good position here, he looks to be the main danger. (7) WONDERFUL DEVIL comes up in class and distance following a good win over 1400M on July 3rd. She sat midfield and then finished strongly that day so the distance may suit and she gets in at a light weight. (4) GOLDEN BADGE remains a maiden after ten attempts but has gone close on plenty of occasions, including last time when she was 2nd at 1400M. She tackles two turns for the first time here and it may well suit. (2) SUN FIGHTING the best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Royal Road (9) Alpha Dok (7) Wonderful Devil (4) Golden Badge|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Tricky race but it could be that it’s time for (10) JEONGSANG KINGDOM to get his maiden win. He has been getting closer across his latest three outings, beating plenty of today’s rivals along the way but tending to leave himself just a little too much to do. From the widest gate, he will surely go back again and will come through strong late on. If he leaves it too late again then (2) WONDERFUL INDIAN may be the one to take advantage. Beaten by Jeongsang Kingdom two starts back, he rebounded with a strong 3rd on his return on July 4th when he sat midfield before running on. He will be in the hunt again here. (5) SPEEDY ROOKIE got too far back over 1400M at his latest start but was 5th behind Jeongsang Kingdom at this trip in May. He may well be ridden a bit more forward today in the absence of much speed and he comes into the calcualtions. (3) INCHEON SPEED and (4) CUPID BABE are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(10) Jeongsang Kingdom (2) Wonderful Indian (5) Speedy Rookie (3) Incheon Speed|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(4) NORTHERN TIME was a winner at start number two at class and distance on July 3rd when he overcame a wide draw to get on the early pace. He carries considerably more weight today which can be a steadier, but he draws much better and he has every chance of winning again. It’s a similar story with (9) NAMSANUI BYEOL, who came from off the pace to win well at class and distance on June 26th. He too comes up in the weights but the wide draw isn’t a concern and he can be a big danger. (5) CHEON GUN was 2nd to Namsanui Byeol in that race and also has experience of winning over this trip. He meets Namsanui Byeol at better weights this time and looks set to go close. (7) FULL BOOSTER is top-rated and while yet to win, has plenty of experience of going close and he can be involved in the finish. (1) SAENAE SUN appears to have more improvement in the tank and stretches out to the distance for the first time.
|Selections||(4) Northern Time (9) Namsanui Byeol (5) Cheon Gun (7) Full Booster|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) JOEUNGIRL has won five of her six starts to date including her last four in a row and accordingly steps up into class 3 company today. She has won at this distance before and comes nicely down in the weights. She has a good draw to lead and she has every chance of winning again. This should be a stern examination though. (2) MUNHAK MOON will also fancy getting on the pace from an inside draw and he has two wins from his last three starts, He too comes up in class following his latest score a month ago but he will be competitive. (3) FIGHT TODAY has loads of experience at this level and while he may not look a winning chance here, he is rarely far away and can be in the finish. (8) MIGHTY CHIP and (11) SIRIUS A are others capable of being in the finish.
|Selections||(5) Joeungirl (2) Munhak Moon (3) Fight Today (8) Mighty Chip|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
He might be up in class and we often talk about there being quite the gulf between class 3 and class 2, but it’s hard to oppose (7) SPEED GO. A winner of five from seven including his latest three, he comes in off a good win at this trip last start. He may need to go a bit faster today but he still looks to have more improvement in him and he should be leading gate to wire here. (2) SINGSING MARY enters off a good 3rd in a fast time at class and distance on July 3rd. She draws nicely in this small field and should be competitive from start to finish. (3) LUCKY BEOPJEON is super consistent and just like Speed Go, comes up in class today. He can settle just behind the pace and run on strongly. (4) RAON TAP MAN had a poor day at the office on his latest outing when well back behind Singsing Mary. We’ll go on his previous form at class and distance though and give him another chance here. The talented but wayward (6) MARK STORY is the wildcard.
|Selections||(7) Speed Go (2) Singsing Mary (3) Lucky Beopjeon (4) Raon Tap Man|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 8|