Racing makes its way into August and with Seoul off this weekend there is a bumper 15-race card at Busan from 11:00 to 18:00. with some really good races along the way. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Juveniles here racing for boosted prize-money and it’s wide open. (10) MAN OF THE YEAR was arguably the best in trials when sitting just off the pace and running on for 2nd in a fast time on a dry track. The wide draw may not be ideal but if Perovic can get a decent position, the Federalist colt may have too much. Both trainer Bart Rice and jockey Franco Da Silva had good Julys and they kick off August with a serious contender in the shape of (1) FLASHY CHARM. He led in his trial and finished off pleasingly enough for 5th in a decent time with some experienced horses among those ahead of him. He draws well here and has every chance. (4) WONDERFUL RAISE also trialed up alongside experienced ones and didn’t look out of place. Expect improvement from the trial and given the stable, he will have plenty of backing. There is only one runner with previous racecourse experience. (8) DONGBU STAR didn’t exactly set the world alight when 8th of 11 over 1300M a month ago but previously trialed well at today’s distance and can improve. (9) HANEUL GANGJA another to look out for.
|Selections||(10) Man Of The Year (1) Flashy Charm (4) Wonderful Raise (8) Dongbu Star|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
(2) DONGTEUJA BOY was a beaten favourite on debut at today’s distance on July 11th, but ran pleasingly enough for 3rd having briefly struck the front at the top of the stretch. He should have come on for that run and You Hyun-myung climbing aboard certainly won’t damage his chances. He is therefore favoured to overturn the form on (5) DOCTOR TEXAS, who ran 2nd in that same race. That continued an upward trajectory for Doctor Texas, who has shown improvement at each start, and who looks like the main danger here. Both should be competing for the early lead. It’s a fresh start today for (4) GLORY KING, who made one solitary start back in January without troubling the scorers. He looked a completely different prospect when bolting up in a trial in late June, leading from gate to wire. He will be expected to improve significantly on that January effort today. (9) SORI OREUM and (10) TRIPLE JILJU are others in at least the placing frame while (7) WIND HIGH looks the most promising at this stage of the three first-time starters.
|Selections||(2) Dongteuja Boy (5) Doctor Texas (4) Glory King (9) Sori Oreum|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(8) DANCING DRAGON has mixed her form across her four starts so far but she has now run a couple of good times for this distance and today gets the assistance of Perovic in the saddle. She can sit behind the early speed here and could well prove too strong late on. The main danger and probable betting favourite is (4) UNJU EUTTEUM. He ran a very promising 3rd debut over 1200M on June 26th, when he was on pace throughout. He should have benefited from that experience and will surely be in the finish again today. (11) BAEK PUNG left himself far too much to do at his latest start on June 26th, crossing to the rail early but racing ungenerously and looking as though he resented the kickback. Once he found clear ground in the straight, he worked home well enough and while the draw is even worse today, if Seo Seung-un can keep him out of trouble, he has placing claims here. (2) QUEEN OF HEARTS has run well in her latest two starts for 5th and 3rd at 1200M and 1400M respectively and she can go well from a nice barrier here. (12) RAPIDO QUEEN is another who has been up and down but has recorded a fast time at this distance and may sneak some minor money.
|Selections||(8) Dancing Dragon (4) Unju Eutteum (11) Baek Pung (2) Queen Of Hearts|
|Next Best||12, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) GALLANT WARRIOR is the pick here, coming in off a last start runner-up finish when he settled back before improving to midfield and then running on strong to record what is the fastest time of any of these who have attempted the distance. He has a good start on him too so from a central gate, You Hyun-myung should have plenty of options and the pair can go one better today. (2) ECHO LADY also comes in off a last start runner-up finish. In her case it was just her second appearance and it marked a big improvement. From the same gate as she draws today, she was quickly on the speed, only relinquishing it a furlong out and then battled on well. She has every chance here. (11) MAJOR FORCE has been consistent across his eight starts so far, finishing in 4th place on no fewer than three occasions. His times have been consistent at both today’s distance and at a mile and looks a decent shout for a place here. (9) CAL MARK has also shown consistency in terms of times and comes in off a career best 2nd on July 9th over 1300M. He tackles the 1400M for the first time and given the way he has been working home in his races, it may suit. (6) TAMNA HWANGHU is the only previous winner in the race, at this distance three starts back, and that alone must bring her into the calculations.
|Selections||(7) Gallant Warrior (2) Echo Lady (11) Major Force (9) Cal Mark|
|Next Best||6, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) RAON THE CAPTAIN broke through at start number three on June 26th, overcoming an even wider draw than today to get close to the pace and then then prove too strong, beating a couple of these in the process as he recorded what was an easy win on the line. That was over a mile so he is back in trip today but he gets in at the same weight and may take some beating. (12) YEONGGWANGUI SPEED has the fastest time among these at this distance. His best finish so far has come when he has gone right back and run on so the gate may not be such an issue for him. He has finished in the top four on five of his seven starts and should be in the frame here. (5) LUCAS SUN came home in 3rd place behind Raon The Captain in that June 26th race. That was his third 3rd place finish from eight starts so far and while he has seven-lengths to find on Raon The Captain, he should be beating plenty of these. (1) TRIPLE STORM and (4) SIMON TOP GUN are others with placing claims.
|Selections||(9) Raon The Captain (12) Yeonggwangui Speed (5) Lucas Sun (1) Triple Storm|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Fillies and mares only here and (1) B J MISS is up in class on her solid last start win over 1200M in a good time when she led from gate to wire to score by four-lengths. The filly who ran 2nd to her that day (Choegang Ilse) came out last week and won herself. She draws the inside here and should measure up in this class. (2) SECOND WIND was a good winner over 1400M at class 6 level two starts back before last time on July 2nd taking a bump at the start before pulling hard and expending a lot of energy before working home well for 5th. A couple of today’s rivals finished ahead of her but with a clean getaway she can overturn that form today. (10) HAPPY YOJEONG was one of those who finished ahead of Second Wind on July 2nd. She settled midfield and then ran out well and the wide draw should fit her pattern of racing. (12) MASTER QUEEN also comes out of that July 2nd race when she was 3rd. She has now placed in all three starts at this class since getting her maiden win in April. She has led in all of those meaning the wide draw may not be helpful but she can’t be overlooked. (9) GREAT GO is another who comes out of that July 2nd race and another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) B J Miss (2) Second Wind (10) Happy Yojeong (12) Master Queen|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 12|
Busan Race 7: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(7) FLAT BABE is set to be one of the banker favourites of the day. She has placed at all her starts so far and was a winner last time out on July 11th when settling on pace. She comes up in the weights but is hard to go against here. (6) ACE GUY is up in class on his all the way win over 1400M on June 27th. That win had been coming as he had posted consistently fast times and solid performances. He is down in weight and should be competitive at this level. (3) WORLD REMEMBER is another up in class but down in weight on a last start class 6 win in a good time when he settled on pace and wide. He is assisted by a nice barrier today and should be in at least the placing hunt. (5) CHOEGANG LIGER is still a maiden but has multiple placings including last start at this class over 1400M when handy in the run and finished off well. (1) NEW LUX another with solid placing hopes.
|Selections||(7) Flat Babe (6) Ace Guy (3) World Remember (5) Choegang Liger|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Busan Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Competitive race. (9) DOCTOR CORNS is up in class on his last start 1200M win when he led throughout on a dry track. The apprentice jockey keeps his weight nice and low and it would be no surprise to see him in the finish again. (4) ECHO GOOD could make a nice each-way prospect. Disregard his latest start when he was back in the field and wide and instead go on a good 3rd two starts back when again he was settled back but ran on really well at the business end. He can go close. (5) GOOD STAR may start as the betting favourite and there are good grounds for it. He won his only start to date which was at 1300M on July 9th. He was ridden to settle midfield and ran on well for a narrow win. The barrier sees no issue and with some natural improvement accompanied by a drop in weight, he could win again. (8) KING BID is still a maiden but comes up in class here following a solid performance over 1200M when after a slow start he settled handy and ran on strong. The drop in weights makes him a placing contender again. (10) SEOBU QUEEN another with claims on the places.
|Selections||(9) Doctor Corns (4) Echo Good (5) Good Star (8) King Bid|
|Next Best||10, 12|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 12|
Busan Race 9: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(9) GOLD FOUNTAIN picks himself here on the basis of winning his last two starts in class 6 in good fashion. Last time out over a mile he pulled hard to the corner yet was still strong in the straight. He is up in class and back in distance, neither of which are a concern and he should take care of business once more. (5) QUEEN OF THE QUEEN also comes in looking for a hat-trick of wins. It took her eleven attempts to get her maiden win but she evidently enjoyed it as she came straight back out and got a second. They were both at class 6 and like Gold Fountain she comes up in class here but from a central gate she can settle handy to the leaders again and can provide a test late on. (11) YEONGWON POWER tackles this distance for the first time. To date his best work has been at further including a class 6 win over a mile and a last start 2nd over 1800M at this class. He tends to settle midfield and run on and he could go close here. (10) CENTUM THOR is worth consideration on his last start when a good 2nd over a mile in class 6 when he settled on pace and then clipped heels at the 50M. He is back in trip and an outer barrier is against him but a repeat of that effort puts him close. (2) INDIAN CHAMP hinted at a return to some form last start and could be an each-way chance at likely good odds.
|Selections||(9) Gold Fountain (5) Queen Of The Queen (11) Yeongwon Power (10) Centum Thor|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(3) ROCK PEGASUS and (7) MUJEOK BULPAE came home 1st and 2nd with just a neck separating them when they raced each other at class and distance on July 4th. Rock Pegasus had a 2.5kg advantage that day compared to a 1kg advantage this time around. Mujeok Bulpae will probably start favourite, just as he did that day, and he doesn’t know how to run a bad race whereas Rock Pegasus has been up and down. Rock Pegasus draws well though and we will take a chance on him to score again, perhaps just as narrowly but it would be no surprised if the last start form was overturned. (2) SMART MOD is consistent at this class and a good barrier today makes him worthy of consideration. Last time out he settled in midfield and then ran on in the straight for 3rd, beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. And he should be there or thereabouts again. (9) SUNLIGHT BOY is a winner of two races at this distance and comes in off a last start 3rd when he was on pace but wide. He’ll need to overcome the slightly wide draw to get to his preferred lead but he should be in the finish. (5) MINYEOBONG the best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Rock Pegasus (7) Mujeok Bulpae (2) Smart Mod (9) Sunlight Boy|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 11: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(4) GOLDEN BYEORAK was a winner on debut in April at 1200M and has since followed up with two consecutive 3rd place finishes at 1400M and a mile. He can lead or settle handy and run on and in today’s company he looks very much the one to beat. (6) DOCTOR GIANTS scored back to back wins at class 6 and class 4 levels, both over 1200M to get rapidly promoted to this level. He ran a solid 4th from off the pace at this distance on his first try at class 4 last time out and a similar run today should make him a danger. (5) GEOMEUN SSONSAL steps up in trip following a maiden win at start number three over 1200M on June 26th. He was slowly away that day but ran on superbly and will be a big threat here. (3) KINGS LANDING comes up in class following a win and a 3rd place in his latest two at class 5 level over 1200M and 1400M. Despite the step up in level, he comes down 4kg in the weights and has the fastest time among this field at today’s distance. (9) DREAM JANGGUN has raced just the once so far, coming from well off the pace for 5th at 1200M back in April. He trialed up well at the start of July and can match or better that finish first-up today.
|Selections||(4) Golden Byeorak (6) Doctor Giants (5) Geomeun Ssonsal (3) Kings Landing|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9, 12|
Busan Race 12: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Absolutely super race in prospect. Without full conviction, we’ll side with (3) YEONGUNG LOUIS to beat the likely favourite. He has won three from four so far and last start was eased down to win by ten-lengths under 58kg over 1200M in what was still an excellent time. He has won at this distance by eleven-lengths too. He drops 3kg today and draws well. He may need to improve but he can win. Yeongung Louis is currently the eleventh highest rated three-year-old in Korea, (2) HEAT YEGAM is the fourth highest rate. A terrific all the way winner over a mile today he drops back in trip but comes up in the weights a full 5kg. He won over 1400M from a wide draw carrying 57kg two starts back but this is a harder race. He too draws very well and if he gets the lead, may be hard to beat. It’s no two-horse race either. (5) SONIC KING IJI pulled off a super win at class and distance two starts back in a very fast time. He only managed 4th under today’s weight on his reappearance in June but he can sit handy behind the leaders here and if they over race, he will be poised to take advantage. (1) MR. FUSION and (11) ROCKY SKY are others with placing chances.
|Selections||(3) Yeongung Louis (2) Heat Yegam (5) Sonic King Iji (1) Mr. Fusion|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 11|
Busan Race 13: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(8) WORLD SOCKS ran 2nd at this distance on debut back in December of last year overcoming a wide draw to go very close. He hasn’t raced since but trialed up well in mid-July and has solid claims first-up today. (12) GEUMA PSYCHIC drops back in trip following a 6th place at 1400M last start. He had the widest gate that day too and while he made it to a promising position couldn’t quit kick on in the home straight. Back in trip today, then if Perovic can find him a decent spot then he has fair chances. The likely favourite is (3) ACE KILLER. He races for the first time since running 3rd behind Geuma Psychic back in May. He is a two-time winner at this distance and with a good draw as well as an apprentice taking 3kg off his back today, he has every chance of going close. (9) ACHIM BIT has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and rarely runs a bad race. The draw suits her racing style and she has solid placing chances. (10) TIZ HEARTED didn’t show much on debut but previously trialed well and improvement is more than possible today.
|Selections||(8) World Socks (12) Geuma Psychic (3) Ace Killer (9) Achim Bit|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 14: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(7) HAPPY WITCH was a winner on debut all the way back in June last year and has since gone on to record four runner-up finishes from five starts. She comes in following back to back runner-up finishes at today’s trip, beating a few of her rivals here in the process and she should be returning to winning ways. There are a couple of dangers though. (9) RAON THE POWER comes up in class after a nice win over this distance on June 26th. He was on pace that day but has run well from a handy position too and he should be able to overcome the slightly wide draw. (11) AMOR FATI doesn’t get the best of the draw but rarely runs a bad race and ran on strong for 2nd on his first try at this class at the end of June. Draw a line through the latest effort from (1) WINNING DANCER and instead go on his victory two starts back at this class and distance. He draws very nicely on the inside and looks set to go close today. (2) UNBONGSAN the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Happy Witch (9) Raon The Power (11) Amor Fati (1) Winning Dancer|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 10, 12|
Busan Race 15: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
The race of reference here is race 6 on June 20th at class and distance. (2) KING OF GLORY has been very consistent of late and last start on June 20th was a close 2nd when on the pace. He looks race fit and has a nice draw and despite the fact he is conceding weight, he has proved that is something he can overcome in the past. (8) WORLD POWER was 3rd in the June 20th race on what was his first start for four months. He was wide early before settling midfield and ran on strong in the straight. He has the same barrier and weight today and is sure to be in the finish. (7) MR. AFLEET is a stablemate of King Of Glory who quickly worked his way through the classes. He didn’t go in the June 20th race but ran 2nd on his latest back in April from the widest gate. He has a better draw today and while it is fourteen weeks since that run, if he’s forward in his condition then he has a winning chance. (11) STAR ROAD broke through for his maiden class 1 win in fine style in that June 20th race when he settled back and ran on wide. He will be in the mix again, however, he may need a bit of luck from an outside gate. (10) JUMBO BLADE is another who is sure to be in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(2) King Of Glory (8) World Power (7) Mr. Afleet (11) Star Road|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 8|