Sunday’s racing is at Seoul (10 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:05 to 17:00). Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) THUNDER K was a last start class and distance winner when he broke nicely and comfortably took the lead midway before running on for a good win. He has a nice draw again today and in a race with no much convincing form in it, he reads as the winner again. (12) DAESAN TEUKGEUP was slowly away and then heavily bumped last start so he actually did well to trail home in midfield. That was all the way back in November last year so disregard it. He trialed up pleasingly in May and can go well first-up today. Solitary debut-maker (8) YUKWAEHAN SEONTAEK looked well-educated when trialing in May, showing speed to lead from a middle barrier and running steady in the straight. He won’t need to improve too much on that to be in the finish today. (2) SARYEONI got buffeted all over the place on debut and should have learned plenty. He has a better gate today and can improve. (11) CHOIN SPARK is another with a good opportunity to improve here.
|Selections||(1) Thunder K (12) Daesan Teukgeup (8) Yukwaehan Seontaek (2) Saryeoni|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here. (5) SPEED DANCER could provide some value. She won’t be favourite, but she hasn’t been far away at the finish in her last starts including last time on a very wet track when she settled midfield and made up good ground in the straight. There’s not much exposed form here and she has as good a chance as any. Probably favourite is (1) GABO SARANGHAE. She’s offered consistency and has shown good speed at her latest starts when she has had to overcome wide draws. With the inside gate in her favour today, she surely goes close. Gabo Saranghae is one of only two fillies in the race who has finished on the board to date. The other is (11) SAENAE CHOICE, who got two runner-up finishes in the early part of her career. Her recent form has been fair and while the draw today isn’t ideal as she does her best work when on the early speed, she should be competitive. (13) CHANGI CHARM seems to be on a general trajectory of improvement. She stumbled at the start last time and got well back in the field before running on for a good 5th. Draw doesn’t help here but she can be in the finish. (10) SIMON STORM the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Speed Dancer (1) Gabo Saranghae (11) Saenae Choice (13) Changi Charm|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 11, 13|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Good for a class 6 despite there being only one previous winner in the race and (2) DAESE MANSE picks herself here after a huge nine-length last start win over 1300M when she raced in a handy spot before joining the leaders, then exploded away under hands and heels. Today is a bit further but the result should be the same. (5) ISTHMUS can be considered following his last start 2nd over 1300M in a good time. He settled midfield on the fence and then made up excellent ground in the straight to narrowly miss the chocolates on the line. The extra half furlong is in his favour. (9) GOLDEN BADGE has been consistent across the last few starts, including placing over this trip in a good time. Last time out, in heavy rain, she settled midfield and ran on well to be 4th in a very close finish over 1300M and she has claims here. (11) LAST BOSS has mixed his form but has shown ability and along with (12) YUJEONG CHAMP should be aiming for a money finish.
|Selections||(2) Daese Manse (5) Isthmus (9) Golden Badge (11) Last Boss|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only to kick things off at Busan and it’s hard to look past (1) GOOD TANK. Having won her trial in fine order in April and was excellent on debut, leading all the way to win by a big margin in a good time. She draws the inside gate for her return, carries exactly the same weight as last time, and looks very hard to beat. (7) MYEONGSEONG MAGIC ran a good 2nd in a very similar all0filly affair at class and distance on May 16th. It was her best finish to date having run close to the pace throughout. She’ll be on pace again along with another strong place hope, (12) JEJUOLLE GIL. The Officer filly raced twice at the backend of last year with her best finish being a 4th place when she led for much of the way around. She trialed up at the end of May looking well and should be in the finish. The others are all going to need to significantly improve. (2) SMARTY DOLPUNG and (5) QUEEN OF HEARTS are perhaps the best contenders to do so.
|Selections||(1) Good Tank (12) Jejuolle Gil (7) Myeongseong Magic (5) Queen Of Hearts|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 12, 13|
Seoul Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(5) YEOLRIN MUN was a shock winner at class and distance on May 9th. It was a narrow win but he did well, overcoming the widest gate and then threading a route through traffic to score with seemingly more in the tank. He is up in weight but draws better and should be in the finish again. We will go with that day’s runner-up (2) RAON LIGHT MAN, to overturn the form though. He was up with the pace that day but was a touch ungenerous in the run. He is very consistent, gets a good draw and while both are up in weight, meets Yeolrin Mun on better terms in that department. (6) HEUNG DREAM enters in great form having won two of his last three, both at 1200M. Sandwiched in between them was a solid 4th at today’s distance when he beat a couple of his rivals here. He drew wide that day so should get an easier run this time and can aim for at least a place. (3) CHEONJI YEOGEOL and (8) BEST TIME are others who can compete for minor money.
|Selections||(2) Raon Light Man (5) Yeolrin Mun (6) Heung Dream (8) Best Time|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 7|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Tricky race. (4) QUEEN OF THE QUEEN is probably a worthy favourite having won at class and distance on May 16th. That was a big uptick in form and was on a wet track, but it was a fine performance in a fast time and a repeat isn’t impossible. We’ll take her on though. (9) MAJOR FORCE comes in off two good 4th place finishes over a mile. Both times he has been close to the pace only to get beaten in the closing stages. Seo Seung-un remains aboard and the drop back in trip may suit. In contrast, (11) SUSO POWER comes up in trip after some solid efforts over 1200M. She’s settled well back in her latest two only to run on strong finishing 3rd and 4th respectively and it is possible the extra furlong can work in her favour today. (1) PEACE BAEK’s latest two outings at a mile and 1400M have shown promise. From the inside gate, she can sit close to the pace and run on. (2) HONEY STAR mixes his form but the combined factors of distance and draw today mean he can go close.
|Selections||(9) Major Force (11) Suso Power (4) Queen Of The Queen (2) Honey Star|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(6) GAJA PLAN can perhaps have her latest effort disregarded as a bad day at the office when she led until the 300M and then faded. Instead we’ll go on her close 2nd, beating a couple of these in the process, back in April. She has the fastest time at the distance and she has winning chances here. (11) DIECO is sure to attract plenty of backers. The filly is yet to win a race but has proven solid at this class and versatile in her racing style as she has led, raced handy and settled midfield with decent enough results. She led over 1400M last start from a similarly wide draw and she can be in the finish here. (1) THANK YOU BOSS is a mare with no form to speak of but she is down in class here into a much softer assignment and the times she has run are actually competitive when stacked up against her rivals here. She’s also had bad luck with the draws so the inside barrier brings her into play today. (3) MISS YANGHO is up in class here following a 3rd place at this distance when she settled midfield and ran on wide in the straight. A nice draw enhances her chances. (8) ARCH YEOGEOL is up in class after an all the way win over 1000M four weeks ago and can be competitive at this level.
|Selections||(6) Gaja Plan (11) Dieco (1) Thank You Boss (3) Miss Yangho|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (8) BURNING PARTY is up in class having registered her maiden win at start number six over this distance on May 9th when she was quickly in command and ran out an emphatic winner. That victory had been coming as she had been getting closer. The class rise shouldn’t be an issue and she has solid claims to win again. (5) THE FIRST FACTOR races for the first time since beating Burning Party as the pair finished 1st and 2nd respectively at this distance in April. She likes to settle close to the speed and then run on and should be competitive at this level. Draw a line through the latest effort of (1) MIDNIGHT QUEEN. She is a class and distance winner as recently as early May and while she comes up in the weights, the company isn’t as testing today and she should be in the finish from a great draw. (12) FASHION BLADE has won at this trip too, albeit at class 6 level. She comes in following a 3rd place over a mile last time out. Her style is to go well back and run on so the wide draw shouldn’t be too much of an issue. (3) NEW LUX another in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Burning Party (1) Midnight Queen (5) The First Factor (12) Fashion Blade|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(2) LUCKY WORLD got his maiden win two starts back at this distance and then came from midfield to be handy in the run to finish 2nd at class and distance on May 15th. It was in a good time and a repeat makes him hard to beat here. (3) VICEROY was a slashing all the way class 6 winner on a wet track on May 16th, when he led and although up in class, he should be competitive again with the benefit of a nice barrier. (5) PARAN WANGJA resumes here after a last start runner-up finish at class and distance all the way back last November. He looked very well when winning a trial in a fast time on a wet track at the end of April and he can be in the finish first-up today. (12) TIZ BLACK warrants having her latest start disregarded. It was her first time at this level and she was caught three horses wide the whole way around. Instead we’ll go on her good win at the distance before when she made all. True, she will need a bit of luck that she didn’t get last time from the wide draw but she has ability. (8) DAUL QUEEN the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Lucky World (3) Viceroy (5) Paran Wangja (12) Tiz Black|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(4) CATCH THE VICTORY will be strong favourite to do exactly that. The Hansen’s colt solitary win to date came at this distance, making all in January and while he subsequently had a hard time at 1400M, he returned from four months off in May to run 2nd back at today’s trip behind Doctor Giants, who went on to win again last week at class 5 level. Accordingly, the step up in trip shouldn’t be too onerous for Catch The Victory and he can lead from gate to wire here. (6) STORM TO WIN races for the first time since getting his maiden victory last November when he led all the way over this distance. He looked well when running 3rd in a fast time in a trial in May and can be competitive from a good barrier first-up here. (1) HAEUNDAE BADA won in a fast time at this distance in April. She was always playing catch-up from a wide draw on a wet track on her latest start, ultimately finishing 8th, and drawing the inside today makes her worth another look. (11) BEAUTIFUL KING is another who can have his last start discounted and drops back in trip and into contention. (2) WIND PARK another in the placing frame under a nice light weight.
|Selections||(4) Catch The Victory (6) Storm To Win (1) Haeundae Bada (11) Beautiful King|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
A small field of fillies and mares. (2) JOEUNGIRL is a winner of her last three race starts including last time out which was at this class over 1400M when she was on pace and eager to go harder into the corner. She has a super time in her record at this distance too and while she is up in weight, she draws a good barrier and is the one to beat again. (8) NUNBUSIN HANSEN was a solid winner last start in an all-filly race at this distance. She led all the way and was eased at the finish for a five-length win in a good time. The barrier shouldn’t be an issue as she has loads of speed and she can be a danger. (1) FOREVER ONE is up in class today having won two of her latest three and will find this tougher than her last start win over 1200M in a fair time. A nice barrier brings her into the picture and she may sneak a place. (6) GLOBAL SUN won three in a row to get promoted to this class. Disregard her last start which was uncharacteristic and she is worthy of another chance today. (7) CHOEGO CAMP, up in class after an all the way win, is also not without merit in a tasty little contest.
|Selections||(2) Joeungirl (8) Nunbusin Hansen (1) Forever One (6) Global Sun|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 7|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Another really tricky big field at Busan. Despite coming up in class, (12) ADELE PUPIL is the pick based on her super win at the distance on May 15th. Even taking the wet track into account, the time was still very fast and she won with plenty to spare. She led early that day but has run well coming from off the pace too so the draw may not be too important and she has a light weight. (1) SUNLIGHT BOY also comes up in class after a solid win at this distance. It wasn’t as visually impressive as that of Adele Pupil but it was effective and continued a consistent run of form. The same apprentice who won on him keeps the weight down and the inside gate should suit. (14) JEONSEOLUI FIGHT was a winner at this distance two starts back and then ran a decent enough 5th on his first try at this distance over a mile in May. He is versatile in his running style and should be in the finish. (3) QUATTRO MAX is yet to win in six attempts but has some near misses and should be on the early speed and in the finish. (6) FINAL PARTY is another with strong placing hopes.
|Selections||(12) Adele Pupil (1) Sunlight Boy (14) Jeonseolui Fight (6) Final Party|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(6) CLEAN UP HAPPY will be the favourite here. After consecutive wins at class 4 he stepped up to this level where he now has back-to-back runner-up finishes and a win doesn’t look far away. He runs on pace or handy and has consistently registered good times and while he is marginally up in the weights, he has solid claims. We’ll take him on though with (2) SAENAE SPURT. All his good form is at 1300M or 1400M and he returned to one-turn racing after a few attempts at 1800M with a solid 3rd place last time behind Clean Up Happy, when he was midfield and then ran on. He has a nice barrier, a fair weight and a top jockey and is likely to be available at good odds. (5) MUDO threw his head up when the gates opened last start and ran well to ultimately finish 5th. The time before he won at class and distance coming from well off the pace and he’ll be working home strong at the business end of the race today, even under 58kg. (11) GLOBAL THUNDER won three of his first four starts, including one at this distance. Racing’s various shutdowns over the past year and a half have helped him even less than most but he showed signs of a return to form with a solid 3rd last time and is worth some though here. (13) DADDY GLORY the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Saenae Spurt (6) Clean Up Happy (5) Mudo (11) Global Thunder|
|Next Best||13, 12|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 10, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Two standouts in Busan’s feature. We’ll go with (6) KING OF GLORY who made an overdue return to the winner’s circle with a fine victory over a mile in a fast time on May 30th, beating stablemate Pro Consul in a tight finish. He lugged around 58kg that day but die to presence of a couple of other high-rating holders, he actually comes down in the weights today and from a decent enough draw, although it has been a long time since he tried this distance, he has won at it and he can win again. (7) JUMBO BLADE is the top rated horse in the race and the big danger. He has won two of his latest three including last start at 2000M. He has a great record at the distance and while he carries plenty of weight, he’ll be very dangerous and will be tough to hold off in the final furlong. (11) GREAT KING beat Jumbo Blade at class and distance in January. An apprentice taking some weight off brings him into the reckoning here. (1) STAR ROAD and (10) YEONGGWANGUIFORCE are others with strong claims of at least a place.
|Selections||(6) King Of Glory (7) Jumbo Blade (11) Great King (1) Star Road|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(3) QUIET ADELE was 2nd in the 2020 Korean Oaks and last start showed she is returning to form with a close 2nd last start at this class and distance on April 25th. She was midfield in the run before closing pleasingly and can go one better today. (9) EUNEO CHUKJE remains a maiden after eleven attempts but has been working up towards a win. At his last start, which was over 1700M on May 16th, he led on a wet track ultimately finishing 2nd but beating a number of today’s rivals in the proves. The time before he was handy and ran 4th, again ahead of some of those he faces today. He is a solid place chance here. (1) HIDDEN SOCKS was 4th behind Euneo Chukje last start. His best results have come when he has been on pace and barrier one should allow him to get there. (7) JEONGMUN ACE was further back in that same race after being slowly away and giving himself a bit much to do before running on resolutely in the straight. He comes in a few barriers today and may get a better early position. (2) KENTUCKY MANGCHI the best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Quiet Adele (9) Euneo Chukje (1) Hidden Socks (7) Jeongmun Ace|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(8) HEUNGHAENG JILJU bolted in at this class and distance on May 9th beating lots of these in the process. He was handy early, then on pace and ran on far too strongly to score by six-lengths. He was 3rd in two legs of the Triple Crown last year and while up in weight today, looks very hard to beat. (10) GEUMA WHOLESOME was the one who got the closest to Heunghaeng Jilju last time, coming home in 2nd place. He likes to get back in his races and work home strong and while he meets the favourite at more advantageous weights today, it’s going to be hard for him to overturn the form. (13) IRON SOCKS had a great record around two turns at class 3 and the May 9th race was his first at this level. He actually led the race before fading in the last furlong but should have benefitted from the experience and can be a place chance here. (1) SEOURI BYEOL can be inconsistent but is capable at this level and is another who can compete for the minor money along with (12) SEOUL TANK.
|Selections||(8) Heunghaeng Jilju (10) Geuma Wholesome (13) Iron Socks (1) Seouri Byeol|
|Next Best||12, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 13|