Blue Chipper will have the chance to avenge his loss at the hands of Doctor Carson as the two of them face off again in the feature race at Busan on Sunday afternoon. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:05 to 17:00 and 10 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. The Seoul meeting will be held behind closed doors while there will be limited in person attendance at Busan. Unfortunately, the Daegu City Government has ordered the off-track betting location in that city to be closed as the Coivd alert level in that region has been raised to join Seoul, Gyeonggi and Jeju at “level 2”. Off-track centres in Busan Gwangju, Changwon and Cheonan remain open for limited in-person attendance which must be pre-booked. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
This is a race with little exposed form, so we’ll go out on a limb with (4) RUN TO GOAL. She ran well enough over the 1200M last time after stumbling out of the barriers and then copping a bump off the horse on her outside. After meeting interference in the straight she still ran well. She’s well drawn again and with more luck should be in the finish. The favourite will be (9) M J QUEEN on the grounds that she has won a race. That was on debut and while she hasn’t looked like following up in three starts since, she was prominent last time being passed just before the finish. The drop back to 1000M may suit. (10) ECTON JILJU showed improvement at start number two and is another who may appreciate the opportunity to race at five furlongs. (2) SAENAE HWANGJE and (8) TAEYANGTAGO are others whose form is not perhaps as bad as it first looks.
|Selections||(4) Run To Goal (9) M J Queen (10) Ecton Jilju (8) Tayangtago|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) GEOLJAK WOMAN can be considered here having been placed over 1200M and getting a good barrier. Draw a line through her last start when she was inconvenienced at the start before working home very nicely. A clean getaway today puts her right in the finish. Likely betting favourite is (6) BEST CHEONSANG. She’s been consistent across her four starts so far and with the best first furlong average time of any of these, should relish the chance to compete over five furlongs for the first time. (10) JILJU BORN has raced at this distance already and did rather well at it, finishing 4th on debut back in January. Las time out he raced green and wide before eventually finding his feet on the fence and that experience may have done him some good. He has a chance. (9) JEONGMUN JIJON was 4th last start behind a runaway winner. That was an improvement on his previous two efforts, and he won’t need to be too much better to go close here. (3) GLOBAL STORM the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Geoljak Woman (6) Best Cheonsang (10) Jilju Born (9) Jeongmun Jijon|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) CHEONGDAM TANK comes in with solid form and at het last start was a narrow 2nd over today’s distance on a wet track. She settled in a handy spot and made up good ground that day and from a better barrier here looks the one to beat. (4) SILVER DRAGON has hit form recently and was doing his best work late on last time out over 1200M. That suggests he is ready for another crack at the slightly further trip today and he should go close. Like Cheongdam Tank, (10) LAST BOSS also enters having run 2nd at this distance on his latest start. He came from an outside barrier to settle close to the pace that day, running on strongly and a repeat puts him in the finish again. (8) YEONGUNG DAEMA showed improvement last time despite being away awkwardly and then running wide. A more mature run here makes him a solid each-way hope. (11) WONDERFUL TYCOON did nothing too wrong when 4th on debut last start and is another who can make progress here.
|Selections||(3) Cheongdam Tank (4) Silver Dragon (10) Last Boss (8) Yeongung Daema|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here. (1) PUREUN JANGMI is going to be favourite here. She’s a Kim Young-kwan trainee who having won her trial ran 3rd when favourite on debut. Improvement will be expected on that, and it would be no surprise were she to make her breakthrough here. We’re going to take her on though. (12) SEUNGNI MAGICQUEEN went one better on her debut, finishing in 2nd place to a good winner and recording the fastest time any of these have managed so far at the distance. The draw is not ideal, but it wasn’t the first time around either and with a bit of improvement she has every chance. Both (2) BYEOLI TTEUNE and (11) SAEMANGUIVISION both showed improvement at their respective latest starts each registering a career best 2nd place. They look the next best contenders for the money with Saemanguivision the slightly preferred of the pair. There are two debut-makers and (14) ALIVE QUEEN looked competent enough in two trials and can go well first up despite the wide draw.
|Selections||(12) Seungni Magicqueen (1) Pureun Jangmi (11) Saemanguivision (14) Alive Queen|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 9, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(2) CHEONMA TODAY is a winner of three from seven and was a super all the way victor over this distance last start. Ostensible she is up in class here but in normal times would have been a number of races back. Add in the nice barrier and she can win again. Favourite will probably be (4) CATCH CHARM. She won her first two and then last start when up in class led while pulling hard before battling on for 5th. That was her first outing in more than four months so she may well have got the bad manners out of her system, and she can improve here. If she does, she has a winning chance. (6) OLD SPECIAL comes up in class after an all the way score at this distance last time. He may not get things his way quite so easily this time what with there being plenty of other early speed too, but he should still be competitive. (3) RUBICON got her maiden win at start six last time, and she too steps up in grade today. She seems to run well whenever she draws a good barrier and doesn’t need to cross, so she can also be in the finish. (9) SHOWMAKER another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Cheonma Today (4) Catch Charm (6) Old Special (3) Rubicon|
|Next Best||9, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(4) WILD INDIE is set to be hot favourite here. He came from well back to run 2nd on debut over 1300M before stepping up to a mile and repeating the trick, running 2nd to a good winner. He’s a half-brother to Beolmaui Kkum and Kkakjaengi, Korean Stakes winners both, and he surely breaks through today. (5) B J’S TERMS was one of those rare horses in Korea who began their career at a mile and all of his three starts so far have come at the distance. He is another who seems to like to come from well back and he did exactly that to beat a few of these when 3rd last time out. He can continue his progress today. (2) DIA FORCE ran 4th behind B J’s Terms on his first try at a mile four weeks ago and can aim to match or better that today while (6) KING BROTHER, 5th in the same race, and (9) MINYEO GEOMGAEK are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(4) Wild Indie (5) B J’s Terms (2) Dia Force (6) King Brother|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(5) OXFORD KING picks himself really based on two consecutive wins in good times, beating several of these in the process in the most recent one. He made all both times and while he does carry more weight today, is drawn nicely to repeat. (8) DIA KEY ran 3rd to Oxford King on May 1st and meets him on 2.5kg better terms today which can bring him closer. He likes to settle midfield and run on and similar will be expected today. (6) RAON DIA has been 3rd in both starts at this class. Whether drawn inside or out wide, she sits handy and finishes strong and she should be firmly in contention for at least a place today. (3) DALRINEUN BITKKAL comes up in class and back in distance following a good win over 1400M a month ago. Both of his wins have come when he has led or been in a handy position and he can comfortably sit behind what should be a good pace here and try to take advantage in the closing stages. (9) MONEY CHAMP the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Oxford King (8) Dia Key (6) Raon Dia (3) Dalrineun Bitkkal|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(9) BEASTLY scored back-to-back class 6 wins in December and April both times leading almost the whole way around. He stepped up to this class three-weeks ago and though sent off favourite couldn’t quite get to where he needed to be from a wide draw ultimately finishing 4th. The step up in trip should be fine and he can return to winning ways today. (10) FLAT BABE has raced three times and has three runner-up finishes to her name. She too is up in class but has already registered the fastest time among any of these who have previously tackled the distance and another 2nd place should be the minimum aim. Continuing the theme of those up in class is (1) CHOEGANG LIGER. He has run consistently solid times and can be competitive at this level. (5) INDIAN PARTY and (8) WONDERFUL KING are others in placing contention.
|Selections||(9) Beastly (10) Flat Babe (1) Choegang Liger (8) Wonderful King|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Fillies and mares only here and (1) LOVELY K will be a warm favourite. Two starts back she registered a good win in a fast time over the 1200M before running 4th over 1400M when she got within a length of the winner despite being inconvenienced in the home straight. She can settle handy here and is the one to beat. (9) CHALLENGE SOCKS is a last start winner at this distance at class 5 level. She doesn’t tend to show a lot of early speed, but she ran on well under a confident ride for a win that was easier than the margin suggests. Down in weights, she should be right in this. Disregard the last start of (2) MJ POINT is perhaps worth some thought. In her races she has settled midfield and run on well and both the draw and step up in trip may benefit today. It’s been more than a year since she last ran, and she’ll definitely need this but (3) TIZ ROSE has plenty of ability and trialed up adequately. She could make for an interesting outsider. (11) LIONETTE is still relatively unexposed and was a solid 4th at start number two a month ago and is another with placing hopes.(more…)