There are races on Sunday at Seoul (10 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 12:05 to 17:00). Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Small field of maidens to kick things off but it’s competitive with two horses set to dispute favourite status. We’re siding with (8) SMART DAEBO who at her last start put in a good run to be a very close 2nd despite stumbling a little at the start. A repeat of that effort makes her the one to beat here. The main challenger is (2) K BLADE. The Commissioner filly is working up to a win having been placed 3rd at both most recent starts. Last time on a very wet track she settled close to the leaders and battled on in straight and it would be no surprise were she to breakthrough here. (1) ROSEDAY MARINE raced a little ungenerously last start but has placed at this distance in a nice time and should have placing claims. (6) PURGE QUEEN showed a bit of improvement last time too and can build on that run today. (3) MAIN OF KING another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Smart Daebo (2) K Blade (1) Roseday Marine (6) Purge Queen|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) LONDON SPEED was a close 2nd at this trip last start in a satisfactory time and with a big margin to the rest of the field. The same as today she had the outside barrier but showed great speed to get across and lead and if she can do the same, she can win. (4) SMART HIGH has had just the one race start when she was up with the pace and appeared to be in with a really good shout in the home straight. She got run down but with natural improvement from that start she enters the calculations here and could well start the betting favourite. (2) ONLY WINNER has placed 2nd at both 1400M and today’s distance of 1200M. She ran a nice 4th last start at 1300M, settling close to the pace and battling on well. She has a nice draw and the drop back in trip should enhance her chances. (3) WARRIOR THUNDER can perhaps have his last start disregarded and instead we’ll go on the close at hand 5th over 1300M when he led to the 100M before being swamped. Back at 1200M and with a good barrier, he could be in the finish.
|Selections||(9) London Speed (4) Smart High (2) Only Winner (3) Warrior Thunder|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) MY WIN was a huge winner at class and distance in a good time from barrier twelve on April 25th, settling handily behind the leaders and finishing off way too strong for the rest. Today he has a better draw and looks hard to go past. (10) CHOEGANG JANGSAN has run just twice but has shown ability with back-to-back 4th place finishes. Last time he settled behind the leaders and struck the front at the 300M but possibly found the 1400M a bit too much too soon. A forward showing today is a real possibility. (9) HAPPY MONTH ran on strong from a midfield position to finish 4th at this class last start and can aim to at least match that finish today. (2) BALLERINA is the wild card. She has not raced since last August when 3rd at this distance but looked sharp when trialing up a couple of weeks ago. She will obviously need this, but some minor money is not impossible. (7) AMAZING QUEEN among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(3) My Win (10) Choegang Jangsan (9) Happy Month (2) Ballerina|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 10, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Having gone back to trial after his second career start in March, (9) WONDERFUL FAGER looked a much better prospect when resuming on May 15th, running 3rd in a fast time having raced on pace throughout. You Hyun-myung remains aboard, he has the same gate again and this looks to be his for the winning. (5) NEW FIRE beat Wonderful Fager back in March and has since run a 2nd at 1300M. In his latest two, both at further than today, he has come off the pace but showed when 4th on debut over 1000M that he can be handy too and he looks the main danger. (4) ANNIKA GIRL practically stopped running at the 300M when sent off as favourite for what was her second start three weeks ago. She had previously run on well over 1000M and the drop back in trip slightly may bring her into the calculations today. (1) HAVE A GOOD TIME was a useful 2nd at his latest start and while the time wasn’t fast, can build on that here. (7) MAGIC HILL the best of the rest.
|Selections||(9) Wonderful Fager (5) New Fire (4) Annika Girl (1) Have A Good Time|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(5) RAON THE TIGER is showing improvement with experience and appears to be ready to go forward now. Last start he was a bit awkwardly away then settled behind the leader and battled on in the straight for 2nd. While it wasn’t a fast race, a repeat of that run puts him right in this. (2) FLYING INDY is worth consideration after his last start 2nd at this distance when he was bumped a few times after the start and then making really good ground late on. With a bit more luck he can settle closer today and be in the frame. (3) BEST STORM was a touch disappointing when capitulating late on last start. Back to 1300M may suit better and he’s worth another chance here. (7) POLKA has been much improved at recent starts. Last time at 1200M she was handily placed before running on in the straight while the time before that over 1400M, she ran on resolutely for 4th and could easily run into a place here. (9) SPEED FLYING the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Raon The Tiger (2) Flying Indy (3) Best Storm (7) Polka|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 13|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here. (6) TAMNA HWANGHU surprised almost everybody with a practically gate to wire easy win over class and distance on May 23rd. That was her maiden win at start fourteen but with most of her rivals here coming out of the same race, along with a decent draw and an apprentice jockey taking 3kg off her back, lightning could actually strike twice. (10) BURNING GUN and (8) WHITE GALLOPER came home in 4th and 5th place respectively in that race. It was just a second start for Burning Gun and an improved showing while White Galloper was slowly away and failed to make ground the way she did when winning at this distance two starts back. Expect both to be in the hunt today. Finishing in 6th place that day was (9) SECOND WIND, who started favourite following a strong 3rd at the distance two starts back. She too warrants another chance here. If you don’t like that race, then the one to go for is (7) HORAENGI. Yet to win in six starts she has run some consistent times and could well be on the early speed here.
|Selections||(6) Tamna Hwanghu (8) White Galloper (7) Horaengi (9) Second Wind|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (9) K N MENIQUEEN came up to this class last start and put in a nice effort over 1400M when she ran on wide in the straight. Back to 1300M and back in fillies and mares company today, she is the one to beat. (11) CUPID POINT ran 5th on her first try at this class on April 25th having previously racked up class 6 wins over 1200M and 1400M. She goes best when on or close to the pace so while she may need a bit of luck from a wide gate, she should be competitive here. Also needing luck from even wider will be (14) FORT SEUONE. She ran on well though to hit 3rd over 1200M last time and the slight step up in trip may be to her benefit. Beating her that day at 1200M was (3) DAEGUN OK. That was a return to form after a couple of average efforts and she flew home from off the pace. She has won at this distance in the past and must be considered here. (13) SANTTEUTHANSEUCHIM is always competitive at this level and despite being another who had no luck on draw day, should be there or thereabouts again.
|Selections||(9) K N Meniqueen (14) Fort Seunone (11) Cupid Point (3) Daegun Ok|
|Next Best||13, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 11, 12, 14|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Two standouts here. (8) MUJEOK BULPAE is the pick and likely favourite having a win and two runner-up finishes to his name, the latest of which was at this class over 1400M. He led early that day before settling in 2nd and ultimately being well beaten by a good-looking winner in a fast time on a wet track. He can lead or be handy here and could well have too much. The danger is (6) WONDER BLADE. He’s up in class after two nice wins at this distance at class 6 level both times sitting behind the early leader and then proving too strong in the run. His times have been good and there looks to be improvement in the tank. (2) DOCTOR GIANTS is up in class having broken through at his latest start coming from a handy position to record the fastest time of any of these at the distance. He was beaten into 3rd by Mujeok Bulpae two starts back but with a bit more improvement here can have claims to overturn that form. (9) MILLION MAKER and (12) B.K. POWER, the latter a last start class and distance winner who comes up in weight today, are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Mujeok Bukpae (6) Wonder Blade (2) Doctor Giants (12) B.K. Power|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||8, 7, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(6) TYCHE FIRE is a winner at this class and distance and comes in having run 4th at the same on May 9th beating a couple of these in the process. His style is to settle back and then run on so he may need a bit of luck, but he has solid claims here. The betting favourite will be (9) NINE EYE. He is yet to score in nine attempts, but he has finished runner-up on no fewer than five occasions. A previous try at this distance didn’t go well but last time out at 1400M he got pushed very wide on the corner before running on really well in the straight for a very close 2nd and it would be no surprise if he finally made the breakthrough today. (8) K N WONDERFUL could be peaking for this race after improving across his latest two, both at this distance. Moon Se Young climbs aboard and punters will take note. (5) STAR BLADE struggled to get in the race last time out from a wide draw. He has a better barrier today and should come into the reckoning. (3) GANGHWA CHEONYEO is up in class here but down in the weights and has been running nice times at the lower levels although at shorter distances. Stretching out to two-turns today, he could provide some each-way value.
|Selections||(6) Tyche Fire (9) Nine Eye (8) K N Wonderful (5) Star Blade|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(4) B. K JOHN won back-to-back races at this distance, the latter at this class, in March and April. We’ll disregard his latest effort at 1200M when he was slow away from a wide gate and had to make up a lot of ground late on to snatch 5th place and instead consider the better draw and his preferred trip. He has won under 57kg before, so while the weight is a concern, it is not insurmountable. (7) TOP BEST comes up in class after an almost all the way win over a mile last start. He’ll sit handy here and can challenge late on. (10) BABY LINE too is up in class, in his case following back-to-back wins at this distance, registering good times on both occasions and leading gate to wire in the most recent of them. The draw is less favourable today but the apprentice jockey who won on him both times remains on with a 3kg allowance and he could well complete a hat-trick here. (8) TOP OF KOREA and (13) CRONUS are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(4) B.K John (7) Top Best (10) Baby Line (13) Cronus|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(12) MOONHAK DREAM broke through at start number nine last time coming from midfield to win well. He had been knocking on the door for a while so the win didn’t come as a surprise and while he is up in weight, this looks an easier assignment, and he can win again. (3) FEVERDINI was 5th to Moonhak Dream last time out but meets him a little better at the weights here and has the benefit of a closer barrier. His racing pattern puts him midfield and running on and if he can settle in a decent spot, then he has chance. (1) SPRING KKUM gets a chance too based on his effort last time when 6th in the Moonhak Dream race. He draws the inside barrier today, which should help and just like Feverdini, meets the favourite at better weights. (7) DUSON MEONGGUN ran a nice race last start when 4th over this class and distance and while he has been beaten by Moonhak Dream in each of his latest three appearances, he can have placing claims here. (4) CHOEGO RACE is among the best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Moonhak Dream (3) Feverdini (1) Spring Kkum (7) Duson Meonggun|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(5) PINEUI KKUM comes in having won his latest two in contrasting styles. Over a mile at class 5 level in April, he made all and then on May 8th at this class over 1400M, he came from well off the pace to swoop home. Back at a mile today he draws nicely but the bigger challenge may be the weight. Nevertheless, he has the class to see him through to a hat-trick here. He carries no more than his most logical challenger though. That’s (10) TOP FIRE, who enters in consistent form at this trip and can run either on pace or handy. He was a good 3rd last start in a strong race and has very chance here. (7) POKPUNG EONDEOK is a class and distance winner who, after a little wobble in April, showed signs of a return to form with a 4th place in May over 1400M. He too carries plenty but should be in the hunt. (2) CHEAT KEY is yet to win in thirteen attempts but has finished in the top five on nine occasions and should be in or around the places again while (11) TWO TWO CARLTON has to come up in class but is down in weights and is in good form.
|Selections||(5) Pineui Kkum (10) Top Fire (7) Pokpung Eondeok (2) Cheat Key|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
The fillies are the standouts here. Very little separates the top two picks. (12) JEDI has been placed at all seven starts so far and out to 1700M and comes in off a good class and distance win when settling in a handy spot and running on very well, pulling away at the finish. She is marginally up in weights and does draw wide, but both can be overcome. Runner-up to Jedi last time was (7) LUCKY JAESAN. She’s a Hansen filly with a good sprinting record and has won at class and distance. When 2nd to Jedi she came out of a wide barrier to be just off the pace and worked home well and with a slight weight adjustment in her favour as well as the better draw, she can overturn the form. (10) RAON SPECIAL is best suited to a sprint trip and was a last start winner at this distance from well off the pace. She is up in class and down in weight and looks competitive. (9) LUISA has been a model of consistency in this class, finishing in the money on a regular basis. Her last start at class and distance was on a very wet track hence the very fast time. She can settle behind the pace here and run on. (3) MONEY SIJANG among several others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(12) Jedi (7) Lucky Jaesan (10) Raon Special (9) Luisa|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 7|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(11) HUNCH is a two-time winner at this class already with the second of them coming when he saw off a number of these to score in a fast time by a good margin over this distance on February 27th. He hasn’t raced since and he does come up in the weights, but he has a bit of class about him, and he will be the one to beat again. (8) CURLIN TIME was 3rd in that February race and has since gone on to rack up three more near misses, all of them at this class and distance. He has beaten plenty of these along the way though and is set to be one of the main dangers here. (9) CRAZY CONTI came from off the pace to score over a mile on May 9th. He does go up significantly in the weights and it’s possible that he peaked that day third-up this preparation, but he has ability and can challenge for a place. (3) BARBARIAN and (13) RETURN OF SUBSIDY, the latter up in class and racing for the first time since January, are others with an each-way chance.
|Selections||(11) Hunch (8) Curlin Time (9) Crazy Conti (13) Return Of Subsidy|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(9) YEONHUI ILCHUL was a last start class and distance winner. Last time on May 1st, she had gate eleven and raced midfield and wide before running on in the straight for a narrow win. It was an uptick in form, but she doesn’t really suffer in the weights for it, comes in a couple of barriers and can win again. (7) LUCKY BEOPJEON was 3rd in that race having previously beaten Yeonhui Ilchul twice. He is a dual class and distance winner and suffered a bit of interference at this last start before running on in a performance full of merit. He may well start as favourite to overturn the form from that race. (1) ALL BAEK comes into consideration based on her last start close 5th in the Yeonhui Ilchul race. On that occasion she came from the widest gate and was away awkwardly before battling on very well. She may get a softer run this time to put her into the picture. (11) ICE PUNCH and (12) LUCKY BONGSEONG are among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Yeonhui Ilchul (7) Lucky Beopjeon (1) All Baek (11) Ice Punch|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) BRIGADIER GENERAL is sure to start favourite today on the back of his last start win over one of Korea’s best in Tiz Plan. That was over today’s distance when he was midfield early before being ridden up to be handy but wide and hanging in under pressure in the straight before pulling ahead of his formidable rival over whom he had significant weight advantage. He has very chance of winning again. Don’t be scared to take him on with (4) THE GUMPU, though. He has three consecutive 3rd place finishes from his last three races with only Moonhak Chief, Tiz Plan and Brigadier General finishing ahead of him, which shows the kind of company he mixes with. From barrier four he may get a soft lead and an upset can’t be ruled out. (8) GANGTOMA may be yet to win beyond 1800M but with his pattern of running on, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him in the finish here. (2) JJANG KONG was a close 5th to Brigadier General last time when after colliding with the side of the barrier when jumping, he was handy in the run. He battles on well and is a place chance again. (11) HUSH DAEBO, tackling class 1 for the first time, offers the each-way value.
|Selections||(1) Brigadier General (4) The Gumpu (8) Gangtoma (2) Jjang Kong|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 8|