Blue Chipper will have the chance to avenge his loss at the hands of Doctor Carson as the two of them face off again in the feature race at Busan on Sunday afternoon. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:05 to 17:00 and 10 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. The Seoul meeting will be held behind closed doors while there will be limited in person attendance at Busan. Unfortunately, the Daegu City Government has ordered the off-track betting location in that city to be closed as the Coivd alert level in that region has been raised to join Seoul, Gyeonggi and Jeju at “level 2”. Off-track centres in Busan Gwangju, Changwon and Cheonan remain open for limited in-person attendance which must be pre-booked. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
This is a race with little exposed form, so we’ll go out on a limb with (4) RUN TO GOAL. She ran well enough over the 1200M last time after stumbling out of the barriers and then copping a bump off the horse on her outside. After meeting interference in the straight she still ran well. She’s well drawn again and with more luck should be in the finish. The favourite will be (9) M J QUEEN on the grounds that she has won a race. That was on debut and while she hasn’t looked like following up in three starts since, she was prominent last time being passed just before the finish. The drop back to 1000M may suit. (10) ECTON JILJU showed improvement at start number two and is another who may appreciate the opportunity to race at five furlongs. (2) SAENAE HWANGJE and (8) TAEYANGTAGO are others whose form is not perhaps as bad as it first looks.
|Selections||(4) Run To Goal (9) M J Queen (10) Ecton Jilju (8) Tayangtago|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) GEOLJAK WOMAN can be considered here having been placed over 1200M and getting a good barrier. Draw a line through her last start when she was inconvenienced at the start before working home very nicely. A clean getaway today puts her right in the finish. Likely betting favourite is (6) BEST CHEONSANG. She’s been consistent across her four starts so far and with the best first furlong average time of any of these, should relish the chance to compete over five furlongs for the first time. (10) JILJU BORN has raced at this distance already and did rather well at it, finishing 4th on debut back in January. Las time out he raced green and wide before eventually finding his feet on the fence and that experience may have done him some good. He has a chance. (9) JEONGMUN JIJON was 4th last start behind a runaway winner. That was an improvement on his previous two efforts, and he won’t need to be too much better to go close here. (3) GLOBAL STORM the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Geoljak Woman (6) Best Cheonsang (10) Jilju Born (9) Jeongmun Jijon|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) CHEONGDAM TANK comes in with solid form and at het last start was a narrow 2nd over today’s distance on a wet track. She settled in a handy spot and made up good ground that day and from a better barrier here looks the one to beat. (4) SILVER DRAGON has hit form recently and was doing his best work late on last time out over 1200M. That suggests he is ready for another crack at the slightly further trip today and he should go close. Like Cheongdam Tank, (10) LAST BOSS also enters having run 2nd at this distance on his latest start. He came from an outside barrier to settle close to the pace that day, running on strongly and a repeat puts him in the finish again. (8) YEONGUNG DAEMA showed improvement last time despite being away awkwardly and then running wide. A more mature run here makes him a solid each-way hope. (11) WONDERFUL TYCOON did nothing too wrong when 4th on debut last start and is another who can make progress here.
|Selections||(3) Cheongdam Tank (4) Silver Dragon (10) Last Boss (8) Yeongung Daema|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here. (1) PUREUN JANGMI is going to be favourite here. She’s a Kim Young-kwan trainee who having won her trial ran 3rd when favourite on debut. Improvement will be expected on that, and it would be no surprise were she to make her breakthrough here. We’re going to take her on though. (12) SEUNGNI MAGICQUEEN went one better on her debut, finishing in 2nd place to a good winner and recording the fastest time any of these have managed so far at the distance. The draw is not ideal, but it wasn’t the first time around either and with a bit of improvement she has every chance. Both (2) BYEOLI TTEUNE and (11) SAEMANGUIVISION both showed improvement at their respective latest starts each registering a career best 2nd place. They look the next best contenders for the money with Saemanguivision the slightly preferred of the pair. There are two debut-makers and (14) ALIVE QUEEN looked competent enough in two trials and can go well first up despite the wide draw.
|Selections||(12) Seungni Magicqueen (1) Pureun Jangmi (11) Saemanguivision (14) Alive Queen|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 9, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(2) CHEONMA TODAY is a winner of three from seven and was a super all the way victor over this distance last start. Ostensible she is up in class here but in normal times would have been a number of races back. Add in the nice barrier and she can win again. Favourite will probably be (4) CATCH CHARM. She won her first two and then last start when up in class led while pulling hard before battling on for 5th. That was her first outing in more than four months so she may well have got the bad manners out of her system, and she can improve here. If she does, she has a winning chance. (6) OLD SPECIAL comes up in class after an all the way score at this distance last time. He may not get things his way quite so easily this time what with there being plenty of other early speed too, but he should still be competitive. (3) RUBICON got her maiden win at start six last time, and she too steps up in grade today. She seems to run well whenever she draws a good barrier and doesn’t need to cross, so she can also be in the finish. (9) SHOWMAKER another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Cheonma Today (4) Catch Charm (6) Old Special (3) Rubicon|
|Next Best||9, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(4) WILD INDIE is set to be hot favourite here. He came from well back to run 2nd on debut over 1300M before stepping up to a mile and repeating the trick, running 2nd to a good winner. He’s a half-brother to Beolmaui Kkum and Kkakjaengi, Korean Stakes winners both, and he surely breaks through today. (5) B J’S TERMS was one of those rare horses in Korea who began their career at a mile and all of his three starts so far have come at the distance. He is another who seems to like to come from well back and he did exactly that to beat a few of these when 3rd last time out. He can continue his progress today. (2) DIA FORCE ran 4th behind B J’s Terms on his first try at a mile four weeks ago and can aim to match or better that today while (6) KING BROTHER, 5th in the same race, and (9) MINYEO GEOMGAEK are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(4) Wild Indie (5) B J’s Terms (2) Dia Force (6) King Brother|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(5) OXFORD KING picks himself really based on two consecutive wins in good times, beating several of these in the process in the most recent one. He made all both times and while he does carry more weight today, is drawn nicely to repeat. (8) DIA KEY ran 3rd to Oxford King on May 1st and meets him on 2.5kg better terms today which can bring him closer. He likes to settle midfield and run on and similar will be expected today. (6) RAON DIA has been 3rd in both starts at this class. Whether drawn inside or out wide, she sits handy and finishes strong and she should be firmly in contention for at least a place today. (3) DALRINEUN BITKKAL comes up in class and back in distance following a good win over 1400M a month ago. Both of his wins have come when he has led or been in a handy position and he can comfortably sit behind what should be a good pace here and try to take advantage in the closing stages. (9) MONEY CHAMP the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Oxford King (8) Dia Key (6) Raon Dia (3) Dalrineun Bitkkal|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(9) BEASTLY scored back-to-back class 6 wins in December and April both times leading almost the whole way around. He stepped up to this class three-weeks ago and though sent off favourite couldn’t quite get to where he needed to be from a wide draw ultimately finishing 4th. The step up in trip should be fine and he can return to winning ways today. (10) FLAT BABE has raced three times and has three runner-up finishes to her name. She too is up in class but has already registered the fastest time among any of these who have previously tackled the distance and another 2nd place should be the minimum aim. Continuing the theme of those up in class is (1) CHOEGANG LIGER. He has run consistently solid times and can be competitive at this level. (5) INDIAN PARTY and (8) WONDERFUL KING are others in placing contention.
|Selections||(9) Beastly (10) Flat Babe (1) Choegang Liger (8) Wonderful King|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Fillies and mares only here and (1) LOVELY K will be a warm favourite. Two starts back she registered a good win in a fast time over the 1200M before running 4th over 1400M when she got within a length of the winner despite being inconvenienced in the home straight. She can settle handy here and is the one to beat. (9) CHALLENGE SOCKS is a last start winner at this distance at class 5 level. She doesn’t tend to show a lot of early speed, but she ran on well under a confident ride for a win that was easier than the margin suggests. Down in weights, she should be right in this. Disregard the last start of (2) MJ POINT is perhaps worth some thought. In her races she has settled midfield and run on well and both the draw and step up in trip may benefit today. It’s been more than a year since she last ran, and she’ll definitely need this but (3) TIZ ROSE has plenty of ability and trialed up adequately. She could make for an interesting outsider. (11) LIONETTE is still relatively unexposed and was a solid 4th at start number two a month ago and is another with placing hopes.
|Selections||(1) Lovely K (9) Challenge Socks (2) MJ Point (3) Tiz Rose|
|Next Best||11, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 13|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(6) GODDESS MOON was 2nd on debut but has since gone on to win five in a row. Most recently over this distance on April 17th when she sat just behind the leader before proving too good. She comes up slightly in weights today but should be too good again and can lead all the way. (10) FINE TRUMPET drops back in trip after some creditable work over 1800M. He doesn’t exactly win out of turn but has made the top five on twenty of his twenty-five starts so far and in this company only really needs fear the favourite. He tends to get back in his races and run on so the draw shouldn’t be a problem. (4) ROYAL GOLD enters with his recent form reading fairly over this distance and looks a place chance while (8) KING DOMBO too should be aiming for a money finish. It’s hard to see any of them overcoming the favourite though.
|Selections||(6) Goddess Moon (10) Fine Trumpet (4) Royal Gold (8) King Dombo|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(7) BLUE MACARON comes into this race on a 2nd place at this class and distance when she drew the outside gate and settled back before running on strong and wide in the straight. She has consistently run fast times and with a bit more luck from a better gate today, she can win. (3) BIG TO THE BIG ran 2nd last time out to the very smart Legend Day. She led that race and then battled on gamely when the favourite blew by. There is nothing of the caliber of Legend Day in this field and she will lead again with solid claims to go all the way. (1) GEUMJAYU Finished 6th in the same race behind Legend Day. She got herself into a handy position from a wide draw and today has the inside gate in her favour. Expect her to be in the finish here. (9) EAST BAN comes into the calculations by virtue of his consistency with ten top five finishes from twelve outings. His best form may be at 1200M, but his style of running is to be handy and if he can save some energy early, in this small field he has a chance.
|Selections||(7) Blue Macaron (3) Big To The Big (1) Geumjayu (9) East Ban|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
At start number fourteen, it’s about time that (2) MAN OF TOP finally broke through. He comes in off three near-misses, all of them at this distance and he has the fastest time among this field for the 1800M. True, he is carrying 5kg more than his last race but he has placed under similar before and he won’t get a better chance than today to sit on or close to the early pace and then win. (6) TRAFFIC MARINE tends to get right back in his races. He did exactly that last time, flashing home for 5th at this distance in a fast time and he looks to be the main danger today. (1) TWO TWO LEADS was 6th in that same race with Traffic Marine and she is another one who will be coming home fast late on. (8) ITSMYLUCKYBOY appreciated being stepped up to a mile at start number four on May 1st, recording his best finish to fate of 2nd. He quickly graduates to two-turns and should be in the mix. (5) MARK ONE looks the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Man Of Top (6) Traffic Marine (1) Two Two Leads (8) Itsmyluckyboy|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(10) JANGSAN TANK is a big striding chestnut whose sole victory to date came at today’s distance. He ran 3rd last start over 1400M when very wide in midfield before working forward to be outside the leader but still wide and then hanging in. All things considered it was a good run and coming up in trip may enable him to get the better of that day’s runner-up (12) ANYANG OXEN. He’s been super-consistent in his recent outings, all of which have been over the 1400M, and he can either lead or race handy. It’s his first attempt around two turns and he should be close. Some value may be offered by (6) OKRYONG. This is his third run around two turns and after having a bumping duel in the straight in the first of those, he then led over 1800M last time and beat all but the winner in a good run. (1) PANORAMA KHAN is a very lightly raced maiden, but his running style has been to be well back and then run on which landed him 3rd place over 1400M last start and he may be considered for more improvement. (9) HEUNGROK DAEBU the best of the rest.
|Selections||(10) Jangsan Tank (12) Anyang Oxen (6) Okryong (1) Panorama Khan|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) BLUE CHIPPER gets the chance to avenge his loss at the hands of (3) DOCTOR CARSON on May 2nd which was over 1200M. A good apprentice jockey is booked for Blue Chipper this time which just takes the edge of the fact that he puts every other horse, including his main rival, out of the handicap and today he concedes 6kg instead of 9kg. Doctor Carson is also yet to win at further than 1200M – he was beaten by The Saber in February at today’s distance and most of the rest of this field have run faster times at 1400M. He does have a 3rd place to his name at a mile but that was in restricted three-year-old company. That’s not to say that he can’t improve because he certainly can and under 51kg he is very dangerous but this time around it would perhaps take Blue Chipper to run a bad race, which he didn’t really do last time, for Doctor Carson to prevail again. At 57kg and over 1400M from a good barrier, Blue Chipper is favourite. (2) BAENGMUNBAEKDAP ran 4th on that May 2nd race, a welcome hint of a return to form and he too should prefer today’s slightly further trip while his stablemate (6) NEW YORK MANGCHI gets a welcome drop to one turn racing and is a contender. The venerable pair of (10) DORAONPOGYEONGSEON and (11) ACE KOREA are among others who can challenge for places.
|Selections||(7) Blue Chipper (3) Doctor Carson (2) Baengmunbaekdap (6) New York Mangchi|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||7, 4, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(5) RAON THE FIGHTER will be hot favourite here with four wins from four starts so far for a combined winning margin of thirty-four lengths. He has led all of his races and has a high cruising speed. Last start he led from under a nice hold before being ridden out hands and heels over 1400M. He is up in class and in distance but is down in weight and he should be saluting again here. (9) WHIZ MOMENT is a filly with a great record of too with five wins from six starts. Her one defeat came two starts back at this trip when she was 2nd but she didn’t run badly and will be the main danger here. She likes to either lead or be close to the pace so it could be interesting if she and Raon The Fighter engage early. (2) MENI SPEED must be taken seriously as a class and distance winner. He likes to run on so the favourites setting a hot pace could play nicely into his hands. Expect a bold showing today. A value each-way chance could be (10) LIVINGSTONE, who has been unplaced only twice in nine attempts around two turns. This is harder but with a lot of speed in the race, he may slot into a comfortable spot and spring a surprise. (12) SIMON QUEEN the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Raon The Fighter (9) Whiz Moment (2) Meni Speed (10) Livingstone|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(8) LEGEND DAY should continue on his merry way with another win here. He doesn’t usually win by huge margins but he seems to do as much as is required. Two starts ago he won at this trip in a sensational time – although it was a day where most races were almost two seconds quicker than average – and against this small set of mediocre rivals, he should have far too much. (5) NIMUI HYANGGI has two 3rds recently over this trip which is enough to put him as a placing chance while (1) WONDERFUL TRUTH has her best form over this distance and showed signs of coming back into some kind of form at her latest start. (3) KILIUI JEWANG hasn’t been too far away of late, and he can come through late to challenge for a share of the prize money too. (6) JEONGSANG STAR the best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Legend Day (5) Nimui Hyanggi (1) Wonderful Truth (3) Kiliui Jewang|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 8|