It’s the turn of Morfhis to give away 8kg and try to win a handicap on Sunday. One of the stars of last summer lines up over 1400M in the concluding class 1 feature at Seoul. There are 10 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:05 to 17:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A very competitive opener but we’ll side with (2) STAR RUSH to finally make the breakthrough at what will be his eleventh attempt. True, he has so far finished no better than 3rd but he comes in off solid recent performances from wide draws where he is run on well. He is not exactly possessed of early speed so the inside gate today may allow him to settle closer to the leaders. (3) GREAT HANSEN is the only runner here to have a win to her name. That came last start where she showed a big improvement, leading all the way. It was a much more mature performance compared to her previous ones where she had been hard to control. Expect her to lead most of the way and force the rest to try and come past. (8) RULES CLASS is starting to show some consistency and has run times that put him into the picture here. Last start he was 3rd from a wide draw and can match or better that today. (7) MAD BLADE and (12) LEGEND BOURSE others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Star Rush (3) Great Hansen (8) Rules Class (7) Mad Blade|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) STELLA ROAD came home 3rd on her only start so far. It was at this distance on April 25th and she settled just behind the leaders before working home well. She should have come on for the experience and we’ll be expecting a bold showing today. (12) SECRET BOSS was a much-improved 2nd last start showing that he is figuring things out. It took him a while to find daylight that day but once he did, he finished off nicely enough and while he may need a little luck from the wide barrier, the 2kg drop with the apprentice on board brings him right into this. (6) WONDERFUL MAMBO led into the closing stages last start before being headed and finishing 4th or the second time in a row. She’ll head to the lead again and can be involved at the business end. (10) HURRICANE SOCKS and (13) THUNDER HORSE are others with hopes of the money.
|Selections||(7) Stella Road (12) Secret Boss (6) Wonderful Mambo (13) Thunder Horse|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(10) GOLD K is set to be one of the shorter priced favourites of the day. His last start was a good effort when he settled behind the leaders before finding a gap as the field straightened and running on well for a close 4th. He drops back slightly in trip today and is the one to beat. He sticks out a mile off because the rest have very patchy form. (12) ADVANCE managed a 3rd place two starts back and that in itself will bring her into the calculations. (1) GEOSEN DOLPUNG is drawn nicely to lead and may well find that not many come past at the business end of the race. (3) LUXURY KING doesn’t have much to recommend about him on the face of it but his last start found him well back and wide on a wet track before running home well and with a better barrier today, he could improve at good odds. (5) GRAND MASTER another to keep an eye on.
|Selections||(10) Gold K (12) Advance (3) Luxury King (1) Geosen Dolpung|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 9, 12, 13|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies kick us off at Busan and it’s the solitary first-time starter that catches our eye. The Isidore Farm bred (11) MISS INDIE is a half-sister to Mr. Afleet, a winner of seven from twelve so far. She certainly looked the part in her trial, winning the heat in a decent time and it would be no surprise were she to score first up. There are two previous winners to contend with. (2) APRIL QUEEN and (4) DONGBANUI SIJAK. Both scored on debut and while neither have managed to follow up since, both can be dangerous here from good barriers. (5) SAEMULGYEOLUI PADO ran on well for 4th last start, a big improvement from her debut and is another in the placing frame while (8) QUEEN HARLEY has hinted at ability and gets a top jockey aboard today.
|Selections||(11) Miss Indie (2) April Queen (4) Dongbanui Sijak (8) Queen Harley|
|Next Best||5, 13|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only in this maiden and it could be a tale of two Choegangs. (11) CHOEGANG BLACK has been competitive in both starts so far. She has slightly fly-jumped the start both times putting her at a slight disadvantage but if she can fix that she has a real chance as she has worked home strongly both times. (10) CHOEGANG QUEEN put in a solid performance for 2nd place on debut over 1200M racing handily throughout. The step up in trip should be fine and she looks the main danger. (9) SARANG DAMOA is worth consideration on recent efforts. She’s run on well in both of her latest two appearances and if she can find a handy position can be a threat. (5) CONDOR YEOWANG had to contend with a wide gate on her return from eight months out but still ran well enough for a creditable midfield finish. She should be fitter for that and can improve here. (2) HWANGGEUM DALBIT the best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Choegang Black (10) Choegang Queen (9) Sarang Damoa (5) Condor Yeowang|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 10, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Very tricky one. (1) YEONSEUNG MISO has the fastest time of any of these at this distance which she managed last start when recording a career best 3rd. It comes with a warning that it was on a very wet track and really came out of nowhere but for the first time that day she was ridden close to the front early and she has a great barrier to do that again. (6) RUN FIGHTER was 3rd on debut over 1200M on April 25th and the way he improved late on that day may make him the betting favourite here. The distance should suit, and he can go close. (8) TRIPLE STORM tends to get a long way back in his races, but he does run on and should pass plenty late on. He looks a solid place line along with (9) POKPUNG JILJU who weakened a little late on over a mile last time out. (3) GOLD FOUNTAIN improved at start number two last time out and the stable he’s from means he is sure to have plenty of backers.
|Selections||(1) Yeonseung Miso (6) Run Fighter (8) Triple Storm (3) Gold Fountain|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
A good race with plenty of potential winners. (4) ROYAL ROAD will probably be favourite He was an excellent class and distance winner last start coming from off the pace. He can lead all the way too and while he is up in weight today which may slow him a little, he has every chance of scoring. (5) DONGJIN CHOEGANG has won both his starts so far which puts him up in class. Class 6 winners don’t always measure up in their very first try at class 5 but he is down in weight and has a nice barrier, so he has every chance of being successful. We’ll take a chance with (12) COLJOY too. He put in a fine effort at his first start at this class when away a little slowly and then settling well back before flying home late for 4th. He is a winner at this distance and a repeat of those efforts plus a touch of luck gives him a potential winning chance here. (6) MAGIC RECORD has a win and a 2nd, both at 1200M in good times on wet tracks. Up in class today she can be competitive. (3) A.P. PATEK mist also be kept safe as he is a consistent type capable of running on.
|Selections||(4) Royal Road (12) Coljoy (5) Dongjin Choegang (3) A. P. Patek|
|Next Best||6, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 12, 13|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
It’s going to be hard to oppose (3) COOL GUY. The Bart Rice trainee comes up in class after two runner-up finishes and a win at class 6 level the latter coming when he practically made all over this distance on May 1st. True a couple of others have gone quicker over the 1200M, but he looks to have plenty more in him and he will be a short-priced favourite here. Main danger is (11) TOP STORM. She can be forgiven her latest when she weakened late on and she is a winner at this distance. With a little luck from the wide gate, she should be in the finish. So too should (4) HANHYEOLMA who actually beat Top Storm in that same race on April 24th. She has mixed her form across nine starts so far but won well at the distance two starts back and draws well here. (5) BARAMEUI KKUM beat both Hanhyeolma and Top Storm in that April 24th race and looks an outside bet for a place again. (10) ECHO MOON is another who can challenge for the minor money.
|Selections||(3) Cool Guy (11) Top Storm (4) Hanhyeolma (5) Barameui Kkum|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Another race with plenty of chances. (2) RAON BEAT won a class 6 at 1400M in a good time two starts back when he went hard early and ultimately won by a full eight lengths. He then ran well for 3rd on his first try at this class over 1700M when he was wide early then handy and ran on strong. Back in trip and with a nice barrier he can win. He probably won’t be favourite though. That will be (4) HI HI, who is a winner of two races at 1200M and 1300M at class 6. He was well beaten into 2nd by a good winner (Oxford King) on his first try at this level on a wet track, but it was a fast time, and he won’t need to improve much to have a winning chance here. (7) THE QUEEN JUSTICE comes up out of class 6 with good form including her maiden win last time. She goes well at this distance and comes down in weight here. (11) YEONGGWANGUI MISO has finished no worse than 3rd in five outings to date, including two wins. The latest was at this class over 1200M. From a wide draw she may need to sit midfield and run on but in a field of many chances, hers is as good as any. (1) WONDERFUL HEART one of many others with at least placing claims.
|Selections||(2) Raon Beat (4) Hi Hi (7) The Queen Justice (11) Yeonggwangui Miso|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 11, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Four last start winners among this field of fourteen and of them (8) ONNURI JILJU is the pick and the likely favourite. He was a super class and distance winner on April 25th and while there is a big concern about the big rise in weights – he goes up 5kg – he should have enough quality to overcome that. (13) B.K JOHN on the other hand, gets a 4kg apprentice claim. He beat Onnuri Jilju two starts back over 1400M and while that may be his favoured trip, he can’t be ruled out of three in a row here. (4) ACE DAY was an all the way winner over class and distance on April 17th. He draws much better today and under a very light weight has to be given due consideration. (7) GEOMEUN SSONSAL and (12) CROWN FUNKY are among several others with solid placing claims.
|Selections||(8) Onnuri Jilju (13) B.K John (4) Ace Day (7) Geomeun Ssonsal|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) handicap / KRW 42 Million
(2) K TOP KING has assembled an impressive record and while it has been a while since the most recent of his four wins, he looks ready to strike again here. He comes in off a good 2nd place last time out and draws his best barrier in some time. He should be on pace from the start and can go all the way. (8) GEUM ROYAL is consistent without having won at this class. He’s been a close 4th in both his latest two with K Top King ahead of him last time. He can settle midfield and run on and should be there or thereabouts again. (7) YEONGHWAS FLYING was 5th in the same race behind K Top King and Geum Royal on April 18th. She worked forward to lead that day and battled on well. She gets an apprentice claim today and should be in the finish. (10) GLOBAL CHEONHA comes down in trip after recent work around two turns He is a front runner who will challenge the favourite for the lead and should still be around at the business end of the race. (11) MATCH QUEEN is better than her latest two efforts on very dry tracks suggest and she could provide some value for a place.
|Selections||(2) K Top King (8) Geum Royal (7) Yeonghwas Flying (10) Global Cheonha|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(6) JANGSAN DOKKI could only manage 4th place on his first try at two turns on May 8th having raced prominently but ultimately being quite well beaten. Nevertheless, he should have come on for that experience and with a better draw shouldn’t have to use up too much energy to get forward today. We’ll give him another chance. (4) MY TIZ GEM comes in looking for a hat-trick of wins. She was a winner in a super time over this distance in April and while she comes up in class today, she drops significantly in the weights and should be a major player here. Also up in class is (1) SEONGSAN POWER after a really good win over the distance in a class 1 time on an admittedly very wet track just two weeks ago. He too comes down in the weights and is in contention. (3) MALIBU BYEOL and (5) TRUE VALOR are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Jangsan Dokki (4) My Tiz Gem (1) Seongsan Power (5) True Valor|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(9) BOLT MAN picks himself herewith a great record of two wins and a runner-up finish from three starts, all of them at this level. He is up in weight as well as in trip today but looks to have a bit of class about him and can settle midfield and run on far too strongly for this lot. (8) SPEEDY ROOKIE is yet to win but has been consistent across four starts so far. He beat three of these on his way to 2nd place last start and is has proven himself versatile in that he can be handy or run on which should give him plenty of options in a race with few clear chances outside of the favourite. (2) WONDERFUL INDIAN has never finished in the top two but comes in after a really good 3rd place over 1800M. He has a great barrier to get a nice position without using too much energy and is a place chance again. (10) BERRING MAN can have his latest couple disregarded and instead we’ll go on his fair 2nd at this distance in January. (6) MUNHAK REWARD the best of the rest.
|Selections||(9) Bolt Man (8) Speedy Rookie (2) Wonderful Indian (10) Berring Man|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
We’re going with the Peter Wolsley quinella here, but in which order? The last time they met at this distance, (2) KING OF GLORY ran 2nd to the 3rd of (13) PRO CONSUL. The draw today is kind to King Of Glory and he has the fastest time at the distance, but the weight is 6kg in favour of Pro Consul and we’re going to side with the younger horse to return to the winner’s circle here. It’s by no means a two-runner race though. (6) A PURE GOOD MAN was a good winnwe over 1200M last start and should be competitive here while (7) SPEED FURY has won well at this distance at class 2 level and is another who gets in nicely at the weights. (8) DUBAI TEUKGEUP came from off the pace to run a strong 4th over 1800M last start and is another who looks nicely in here.
|Selections||(13) Pro Consul (2) King Of Glory (6) A Pure Good Man (7) Speed Fury|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 13|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
It’s hard to go past a horse who has won his last five races so (5) CARVING CROSS goes on top here. He was a last start class and distance winner by ten-lengths. He was ridden out that day so especially given the extra 5kg on his back, there might not be much improvement to come here but he probably won’t need it in order to win. (6) SIRIUS A is the one horse who at his best could potentially beat him. He’s a classy three-year-old who bolted in over 1700M two starts back in a fast time before dropping back to 1400M to run 4th on his first try at this class. He can be a danger. (4) SHU LEUB was a deserving winner last start over class and distance when on pace and too good. He comes up 3kg for that and into a tougher race, but she could surprise with a favourable barrier. (3) MIGHTY CHIP has only raced four times but has won twice. He struggled a bit last time behind Shu Leub when hanging out badly early on but still got himself together well enough to finish 5th. With a better barrier today, he can go close. (9) MOONHAK EKATI the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Carving Cross (6) Sirius A (4) Shu Leub (3) Mighty Chip|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It’s that time of the week again. Today, it’s the turn of (3) MORFHIS to put everything else out of the handicap and give away at least 8kg to every other runner in the race. He is a top-class galloper with ten wins to his credit in all conditions with his versatility extending to winning from being handy in the run or back in the field and running on. That 60kg is a steadier though although he has won under 58kg. The barrier is a good one and he is still the one to beat. (12) MEDICI GLORY was well beaten last start when 3rd to Morfhis at this distance. However, this time instead of getting 1kg, he gets 8kg. He was beaten eight-lengths last time but surely gets closer today. (7) MASK hasn’t won for over a year but is a former top line three-year-old and is second-up here after returning with a good 3rd over 1800M. He may surprise. (8) WANG BEOTKKOT is having his second go in class 1 and while he was well back over 1800M in his first attempt, this should suit a little more. (14) TOP BRAIN is a solid horse who keeps on defying expectations and is another capable of placing.
|Selections||(3) Morfhis (12) Medici Glory (7) Mask (8) Wang Beotkkot|
|Next Best||14, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 9|