Punters will be returning in limited numbers to Busan Racecourse this weekend with the city having lowered its social distancing guidelines. The track will be permitted to accommodate 1,017 racegoers indoors with a further 402 outdoor seats available (weather permitting). The two Busan off-track-betting centres at Dong-gu and Yeonje have been approved for 383 and 480 punters respectively. While the Greater Seoul area locations remain closed, this means that across Korea, with Daegu, Changwon, Cheonan and Gwangju also open, 5,204 punters wil be able to have a legal bet on the horses. All seats must be purchased in advance through the My Card app. There are 8 races at Seoul (11:00 to18:00) and 6 at Busan (11:30 to 16:50) on Saturday. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maiden fillies get us underway. After seemingly drifting aimlessly, (1) WOL YEONG I looks to be figuring things out with a 3rd and a 2nd in her latest two. She runs best on the early speed and today’s draw should help in this respect. She ran a good time at her latest start and a similar run will put her right in the finish here. (6) MODERN BEST ran 5th behind Wol Yeong I least start but had previously beaten her when 2nd at this distance in march. She likes to settle handy and run on and so long as she makes sure she doesn’t leave herself too much to do, can go close. (2) HAPPY DAY raced twice last summer registering a 3rd place on debut. She’s not been seen since August but looked very well when 2nd in a trial in a fast time two weeks ago. If she brings that form to the races, she has a winning chance. (4) SEMYEONG NARAE and (8) SHINE MUSIC have the fastest two times at this distance in the field and both have placing experience.
|Selections||(1) Wol Yeong I (2) Happy Day (8) Shine Music (4) Semyeong Narae|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(8) B J MISS showed at the front for most of her debut on April 25th, ultimately finishing 2nd. While that day’s good looking winner only managed 4th on his return, B J Miss should have come on for that run and coming out of the same gate, can get the lead again. She looks hard to beat. (6) LE CONCORD ran 5th in his only start to date last October when he was slowly away but ran on strong. He trialed nicely earlier this month and in this company looks set to go well first up. (5) MY DESTINY has hinted at ability across two starts so far and with a good start should be in the frame while (11) WORLD REMEMBER has plenty of experience and looks a place line in this company. The biggest danger though is likely to be on the of the four first-time starters. (9) GOOD TANK is the first foal to make it to the track out of Clean Up Speed, who won four of her eleven starts. She made all when winning a trial in a good time at the end of April and looks very nicely in here.
|Selections||(8) B J Miss (9) Good Tank (6) Le Concord (5) My Destiny|
|Next Best||11, 14|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 13|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Nice maiden this with plenty coming in looking like they have a win in them. Favourite and top pick is (6) BLUE HAMMER. He came from well back to run 3rd in debut at 1200M before then putting in a more forward showing for 2nd at the same trip on April 25th. The slight step up in distance today can help and he looks to have further development in him. (3) STEAL THE FASHION was 2nd on debut in January before running a decent time over 1400M on a wet track at 1400M. She got too far back last time out over 1200M but the gate and the distance today should suit and she can go close. (4) SAENAE WIN had an uptick in form at his latest outing, running on from well off the pace to grab 2nd at this distance. If Choi Bum-hyun can settle her in a spot that gives her a chance, she will be in the finish. (5) GEOSEN JILPUNG is a model of inconsistency, who was 5th behind Blue Hammer last time out but does have a 2nd place in her form and she can place here. (8) DAEWANGU another in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Blue Hammer (3) Steal The Fashion (4) Saenae Win (5) Geosen Jilpung|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) TOP ADELE overcame the widest draw to get to the lead and beat four of these on his way to a maiden win over this distance on April 25th. He comes very slightly down in the weights and also draws a little better so it is hard to recommend going against the form here. If we do want to take him on then (6) SEUNGNI GLORY is the prime candidate. He was a much-improved 3rd over 1400M on his second start on April 3rd. He got well back that and ran on strong and it could be the additional furlong today works in his favour. (3) DALRYEORA VOLPONI ran 2nd to Top Adele last time. He is another who is usually well back in his races but looks to be figuring out how to run on in the latter stages and he’s a place line again. (8) LUCAS SUN and (10) HONEY STAR are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Top Adele (6) Seungni Glory (3) Dalryeora Volponi (10) Honey Star|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(10) RED PINE has been ultra-consistent across her six starts to date, finishing between 2nd and 6th in all of them. On her only previous try at this distance she recorded the fastest time that any of these have managed and a win doesn’t look far away. Her running style suggests the draw won’t be a problem and today can be her day. (5) BEST STORM came from well off the pace to run a strong 3rd last time out. He has mixed his form a little but looks the main danger here. (3) CHEONJON and (8) JEONGMUN PRINCE came home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced one another at class and distance on April 24th with the former racing in midfield and the latter well back before both finishing off well. Both have placing claims again today. (11) BLACK INDY disappointed when well backed in that same race. He is worth another chance today at place odds.
|Selections||(10) Red Pine (5) Best Storm (11) Black Indy (3) Cheonjon|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Two fillies come in here seeking a hat-trick of victories and accordingly, they will be at the top of the market. (9) HAENAM HAMMER has overcome wide draws in her latest two to score impressively at 1200M and 1400M, coming from a handy position the first time and then making all the second. She is up in class here but slightly down in weight and she looks the one to beat. (7) MIDNIGHT QUEEN’s victories have both come at this class and both of them were over today’s distance. She’s nicely drawn to get on pace again and with an apprentice taking 3kg off her back, she looks a real chance too. Plenty of decent others. (1) ALPHA STAR lost his way a bit around the turn of the year but returns for the first time since January having looked very well in a trial last week and he goes straight into the frame. (5) SKY WIN and (6) SUNLIGHT BOY are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Haenam Hammer (7) Midnight Queen (1) Alpha Star (5) Sky Win|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(3) TK BOY is up in class and slightly in trip following a very good score over 1300M in April. He’s never been worse than 3rd in seven outings to date and with his come from behind style, today’s trip can suit. Equally consistent is (10) RAPIDO ARES. A winner at this trip two starts back at class 5 level, she ran a very solid 2nd on her first go at this class in April beating a number of today’s rivals in the process. She has good early speed and every chance today. Consistency is a them in this race and (1) YAHO GOLDEN CAT has also demonstrated plenty of it. He’s registered just the one win but comes in off two 3rds and two runner-up finishes from his latest four. He carries next to nothing and from the inside gate should be dangerous. (5) TOP SEED won back to back races over 1400M and 1700M in February and early April. He weakened for 5th at his latest effort, which was around two turns and dropping back in distance today, must be taken seriously. (12) THE DREAM the best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) TK Boy (10) Rapido Ares (1) Yaho Golden Cat (5) Top Seed|
|Next Best||12, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(11) MACH TITAN got taken down late on when seeking his fourth consecutive win on April 17th over a mile. He carries the same weight today and has a slightly worse gate but back down in trip he is the one to beat and is likely to be a short priced favourite to lead from gate to wire. (8) SMART MOD has consistently posted good times at this distance and while it has been some time since the most recent of his two wins, he is rarely far away and should enter the calculations today. (6) CRONUS was a class 5 winner in January over 1400M before running 3rd when stepped up to a mile. He comes up in class here but gets a big drop in the weights and he can be competitive. (9) MR. FUSION beat several of these on his way to 2nd place over 1200M on April 25th. Although he is yet to match his win on debut, he has never been worse than 4th and he tries this distance for the first time with plenty of optimism. The experienced (13) ECHO SUN mixes his form but at this best is capable of a money finish here.
|Selections||(11) Mach Titan (8) Smart Mod (9) Mr. Fusion (6) Cronus|
|Next Best||13, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 11, 14|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Tricky one here but all things considered, (2) FIGHTING DADDY is the pick. Aside from his debut, his only poor result has been when drawn wide at 1400M. At today’s distance he has two wins and a runner-up finish, they latter of which was at this class and he has posted good times along the way. (8) COMPLETE STAR comes back in trip and into contention after a decent 4th over 1400M when she led before tiring late on. She should be on pace again here. (9) RUNNING KING comes up in class following a good maiden win at this distance in April, making all. His times haven’t been that impressive so far so he will need to improve here but he looks to have scope for development. (11) IRON MUSKET won her first two before coming unstuck on her first try at this class over 1400M. Back in trip today can suit. (6) GUEOKMAAL has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and is another to be considered.
|Selections||(2) Fighting Daddy (9) Running King (8) Complete Star (6) Gueokmaal|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(2) POWER WONDERFUL made all score at this class and distance on May 2nd continuing a very good run of recent form for the four-year-old. He previously beat a few of these 3rd in a similar race. He draws nicely to get on pace today and while he does go up in the weights, he looks the one to beat again. The one most likely to challenge is (3) YEONGGWANGUICHUKJE. He is a winner at this distance and while he is up in class today, that puts him in very nicely at the weights – he gets a full 6kg from Power Wonderful – and that has to put him right in it. (7) MR. VALOR beat Yeonggwanguichukje when winning at this distance on April 17th. He too comes up in class and carries accordingly carries a feather weight. He will be on pace and has claims. (9) ROSA and (10) FANTASTIC MAN are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Power Wonderful (3) Yeonggwanguichukje (7) Mr. Valor (9) Rosa|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(7) JANGSAN GOLD has won two on the spin and she’s won them in contrasting ways too, first making all and then coming from midfield, both times at this distance. She gets another crack at class 4 and doesn’t suffer too much in the weights and so she is a worthy favourite here. A couple of others have shown promise. (12) MUNHAK MOON broke through at start number four on April 17th, running on strong from midfield and beating a few of these in the process. He carries more weight today but the wide draw shouldn’t be cause for too much concern and he has claims once more. (1) QUICKLY SUN was 3rd behind Munhak Moon last start. Continuing his run of consistent form. He draws much better today and could well make the early running. (13) YOU ARE NUMBER TEN didn’t do much on debt last November but looked very well in an April trial so gets a fresh start here. (4) PINE ROAD, a winner at class and distance on February, is best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Jangsan Gold (12) Munhak Moon (1) Quickly Sun (13) You Are Number Ten|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(2) GOLDEN WINNER is an intriguing entry here in that he is one of those rare horses in Korea that has never raced at this distance despite having a wealth of experience. He raced – and won – over 1300M on debut and since then has always run at a minimum of seven furlongs and has picked up seven wins from fifteen outings registering some very fast times along the way. He is though a front-runner so we will trust him to get to job done in this sprint. (7) SUCCESS PARTY returns to action for the first time since last August. He is probably going to need this race but has plenty of ability and looked very well when winning an April trial. The draw does no favours to (11) I’M YOUR FASHION but he has plenty of speed about him and should be there or thereabouts. (4) YES POWER and (13) TOP DAY among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Golden Winner (7) Success Party (11) I’m Your Fashion (13) Top Day|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(7) SERVE ACE stepped up to this distance on April 18th and promptly registered her maiden win at the fifth time of asking, making all. As a result, she is up in class here but that shouldn’t be too onerous and she looks the one to beat again. Joining him up in class is another filly (1) DREAM MAX. She too got her maiden win at the fifth time of asking when coming from well back to score over 1400M a month ago. That running style, superficially at least, suggests that she can take well to racing around two-turns. (3) SUN FIGHTING enters off a class and distance 2nd place three weeks ago and can go close again today. (6) BLACK CHARM and (10) KOREAN PEARL are others with money chances.
|Selections||(7) Serve Ace (1) Dream Max (3) Sun Fighting (6) Black Charm|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(1) RAON FIRST is a top class filly who comes in off a super win over 1400M on April 4th. She does, however, tackle two-turns again and on her only previous try at it, she was 3rd, tiring late on. She will be on pace from the inside gate and her ability can see her through this time. If you prefer a distance specialist though, then (9) MIGHTY SOO is the way to go. He has won at 1800M twice already and was a fast 3rd on a very wet track last time out. He can sit just behind the speed and finish strongly and Raon First will need to be very good to hold him off. (3) BLUE CHITON also has a win to his name at this trip albeit almost a year ago. He was 4th behind a couple of these last start but should be going close. Those two who beat him were (4) SEOURI BYEOL and (12) RAYMOND. Seouri Byeol is a deep closer who will be coming late while Raymond consistently finds the minor money and shouldn’t be too far away again.
|Selections||(1) Raon First (9) Mighty Soo (12) Raymond (4) Seouri Byeol|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 9|