There are behind closed doors meetings on Saturday at both Seoul (8 races from 11:00 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 11:30 to 16:50). The only locations open for betting within in Korea will be Jeju Racecourse as well as the Off-track betting centres in Daegu, Gwangju, Changwon and Cheonan. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A maiden to begin with. Five of the twelve are racing for the first time and one of them, (6) LUMINOUS QUEEN, may start as favourite. The Simon Pure filly ran 2nd in her only official trial in what was a creditable time under today’s top jockey. This isn’t the most intimidating race to begin in and she should go well. We’ll side with experience though and go with the consistent (2) THUNDER K. He’s finished in the top five on four of six outings to date and has run decent times at this distance. He is well drawn to lead, has Antonio Da Silva in the saddle for the first time, and could make his breakthrough today. (10) WONDERFUL MAMBO is the only one in the race to have a 2nd place finish to her name and that brings her into the calculations again. (9) REAL CONCORD, a stablemate of Luminous Queen, and (11) TORUK MAKTO are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Thunder K (6) Luminous Queen (10) Wonderful Mambo (9) Real Concord|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Twelve previously unraced three-year-olds go around here so we need to head to the trial videos for clues. (5) KING ALLIE was the standout, leading his heat all the way to come home in the kind of time that would win plenty of races over this distance. He’s a half-brother to Stakes winning sprinter Do Kki Blade and will be favourite to score first-up here. (2) ANNIKA GIRL also put in a worthy trial performance, registering a quick time and the Kim Young-kwan/Djordje Perovic connection will ensure that she has plenty of backers. Her dam was a solid racehorse in Korea and produced a couple of other useful types. (6) GEUMBANJI came through the same trial as Annika Girl and acquitted herself well enough to have placing chances first-up. (4) GLORY SONG and (8) JJANG I are others who will be expected to get some support.
|Selections||(5) King Allie (2) Annika Girl (8) Jjang I (6) Geumbanji|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(8) DREAM KNOCK will be favourite. After running 5th on debut, he was a close 2nd when stepped up to this trip on March 14th. She has the fastest time of any of these at the distance by some margin and can settle handy here before running on strong. (1) TIFFANY BLUE ran on pleasingly enough on debut, making good ground late over the 1000M to finish 6th. She should have come on for that and the step up in trip can be to her benefit. Having run well over 1000M on debut, (10) STEAL THE FASHION didn’t do too much wrong when 6th over 1400M at start number two last month. Today’s distance should suit more and she can go close. (12) MODERN BEST and (7) WOL YEONG I came home 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other over this distance on March 21st and both look to have placing claims again.
|Selections||(8) Dream Knock (1) Tiffany Blue (10) Steal The Fashion (12) Moden Best|
|Next Best||7, 14|
|Fast Start||7, 10, 11, 14|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Twelve maiden fillies here. (4) WORLD REMEMBER and (3) QUEEN HARLEY came home 3rd and 4th respectively when they raced each other at 1200M on March 20th. For World Remember it was a big uptick in form following some very average performances, while for Queen Harley, it was her first ever race. There is an extra furlong to play with today and while both should be in the hunt, we’ll go with Queen Harley as having the more potential for improvement. (1) WHITE GALLOPER and (2) HAPPY WOMAN both come in having shown a bit of promise so far. White Galloper has tended to get caught back and wide but has still run on pleasingly enough. She has a much better draw today and can be in the mix. Happy Woman hasn’t shown much in the way of speed but has been competitive and can be so again. So too (6) STEADY WINNER, who has indeed been steady rather than spectacular across three starts to date and looks a place line here.
|Selections||(3) Queen Harley (4) World Remember (6) Steady Winner (1) White Galloper|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Very tricky race here. While (4) BEST STORM wasn’t hugely impressive when 7thover 1400M last start, we’ll drawn a line through that as he after a slow start he ended up well back in the field most of the way around. Two starts back he ran a strong 2nd to Spotlight and could be the one to beat here. (3) BRAVO MAY too was just average on his latest appearance but had previously put in some solid performances and should be going close here. Along with Best Storm, the only other horse in the field to have a runner-up finish to his name is (12) CONDOR YEOWANG. That was on her second – and most recent – start all the way back last August over 1000M. She looked well when running 2nd in a fast time in a trial at the start of this month and there’s no reason why she shouldn’t go well first-up against this limited set of opposition. (2) HIT ACE and (8) CHEONSANGSEONG are others who should be competing for at least minor money.
|Selections||(4) Best Storm (3) Bravo May (12) Condor Yeowang (8) Cheonsangseong|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(7) TOP STORM broke through at start number three on March 6th, leading from gate to wire over this distance. That was an all-filly affair at class 6 level but the step up in grade shouldn’t be too much of an issue and she’s drawn well enough to lead again. She’s the one to beat. (2) MILLION MAKER was a touch disappointing at 1400M last time out but steps back in trip to a distance at which he recorded his solitary win to date. He has drawn well and should come into the calculations. (12) ADELE PUPIL was a winner at this distance in debut last summer. She comes in following a good 3rd place over 1400M a month ago and is firmly in the frame again. (6) HANHYEOLMA steps up in class following a maiden win at this distance on March 20th. She has been a little inconsistent across eight outings to date but can be competitive here. (13) CHEONNYEONUIYAKSOK the best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(7) Top Storm (2) Million Maker (6) Hanhyeolma (12) Adele Pupil|
|Next Best||13, 14|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 14|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Another maiden but quite a few of them look ready to win. Chief among them is (9) BLACK INDY. He has steadily improved across four starts so far, culminating in a 2nd place at this distance on March 21st. He is likely to be on pace and could make the breakthrough here. (11) DREAM MAX also came close over this distance last start. She beat several of these on his way to 2nd place, also on March 21st. Her style is to come from well off the pace so the wide draw shouldn’t matter too much although she may need a little luck in running. (1) DAEWANGU was 3rd behind Dream Max in that race, his second consecutive 3rd place finish and he should be there or thereabouts again. (4) SWEET JUICE BAR has been 4th on both starts so far and can aim to match that today. (10) LUCKY SEOKPO can have his latest effort disregarded and looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(9) Black Indy (11) Dream Max (1) Daewangu (4) Sweet Juice Bar|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(4) MR. INDIE comes in two for two having run out an emphatic class 6 winner at both 1000M and 1400M. It’s a step up in both class and in distance today but from a nice draw he can lead and can maintain his 100% record. It won’t necessarily be easy though. It took (7) DUMUSAN a couple of goes to get the hang of things but he too comes up in class having won his latest two, both over a mile. The distance shouldn’t be a problem and he should be right there again. (1) BULMYEORUI GIL is yet to run a bad race. He has experience of the distance already and looks a solid place line once more. (9) GREAT DANCE has really good consistency too with a win and three runner-up finishes in his latest four outings. He can lead or come from off the pace and should go close once again. (8) SEUNGNI TOUT beat a couple of these when 4th in a decent test over a mile in March and should be kept safe in the exotics as well.
|Selections||(4) Mr. Indie (1) Bulmyeorui Gil (9) Great Dance (7) Dumusan|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
There’s only one previous winner in the field and that’s (12) GOOD PILSEUNG, who broke through at start number three over 1200M on March 14th. He also has the fastest time of any of these at today’s distance when running 3rd back in January. While he has a strong start, he doesn’t need to lead so the draw shouldn’t be an issue and he looks the one to beat here. (11) SPEEDY ROOKIE has two 3rd place finishes among three outings to date and has indeed shown a bit of speed. Like the favourite, he doesn’t need to lead and should run on strong. (8) PANORAMA KHAN loves winning trials and he was a decent 3rd place on his second race start last month. He steps up in trip for the first time and it should suit. (3) BERRING MAN can have a line drawn through his latest and given another chance while (9) JANGSAN MONSTER shouldn’t be far away either.
|Selections||(12) Good Pilseung (11) Speedy Rookie (9) Jangsan Monster (8) Panorama Khan|
|Next Best||3, 14|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 12, 13|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(5) MY QUEEN is yet to finish outside the top three in seven attempts and while up in class here, has serious claims again. She’s won at this distance twice already. She can lead or sit handy and will be in the mix at the finish. (4) ALPHA AGAIN weakened badly in the closing stages when tried at a mile last time out but despite being up in class here, warrants another chance dropped back in trip to a distance he is unbeaten at, having won with a gate to wire performance back in February. Drawn nicely, he can lead again. (3) ROSA is coming back into form with back to back 3rds in her latest two. She drops back in trip here and looks firmly in the hunt. (8) CHEONNYEONUIJILJU ran a solid 4th first up over 1200M, beating a couple of these in the process and while this is a similarly tough race, he should have come on for it and can go close again. (10) BANJIUI JEONSEOL has plenty of experience at this class and is rarely too far away.
|Selections||(5) My Queen (4) Alpha Again (3) Rosa (10) Banjiui Jeonseol|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(11) LEGEND DAY is Seoul’s highest rated three-year-old, either domestic or imported and comes in here with a record of four wins from five starts. He’s run some sensational times so far and while he has drawn wide today, it’s going to take something very good to stop him. (12) SIRIUS A is also potentially a very bright star with two wins from his latest three. On times he is lengths behind the favourite but does look the biggest threat and it would be a surprise if the pair of them don’t fill out the quinella. The rest look up against it but (9) MAGICAL CHOICE and (5) CUPID MISSION came home 3rd and 4th when they raced one another over 1200M on March 7th with a couple of the others here back down the track behind them. They may well be competing for the same finishing positions today. (2) BIG TO THE BIG the best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Legend Day (12) Sirius A (9) Magical Choice (5) Cupid Mission|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
It’s hard to look too far past (5) JANGSAN DOKKI here. A good winner at this class over 1400M on February 27th, he has raced creditably at this distance in the past and looks ready for another go at it here. He can settle close to the early lead and finish strongly. (8) NANGMAN JEONSA has the fastest time of all of these at the distance and looks as if he is coming back into form on the strength of a 3rd place last time when he beat a number of these. He likes to go back and run on strong and he should be in the mix at the business end of the race. (3) SO MUCH GO was 5th behind Jangsan Dokki last start and can get a bit closer this time around while (1) BARAMUI YAKSOK and (6) GEUMA CAVALRY are others in the frame. The latter can have a line drawn through his latest effort which was his first start in more than a year.
|Selections||(5) Jangsan Dokki (8) Nangman Jeonsa (6) Geuma Cavalry (3) So Much Go|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(1) CHEONHAE GANGJA is five-years-old but has only raced five times and has never been worse than 4th. He steps up in trip today after a good 3rd place over 1400M on March 21st and with a good apprentice jockey taking 3kg off his back, looks to have an excellent chance on his first try around two-turns. Also tackling two-turns for the first time is (12) RAON BEAT. He was a, emphatic front-running winner over 1400M on March 14th and steps up in class accordingly. This is tougher but he should be close. (10) ACE HAMSEONG came from well off the pace to win over 1400M at this class on March 14th. He too tries the distance for the frist time and has every chance of getting amongst the money. So too (6) K FRENZY, who has mixed his form a little but is another nicely weighted and who has claims. Of the four who have tried 1700M before, (3) BOMNALUI GIEOK is perhaps the best.
|Selections||(1) Cheonhae Gangja (12) Raon Beat (6) K Frenzy (10) Ace Hamseong|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(5) HUSH DAEBO comes up 3.5kg in the weights from when he beat a few of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on February 28th. He came from off the pace that day and while he couldn’t get close to a good winner, who has since held his own in class 1, he has fair chances of overcoming the weight and scoring here. (1) RAYMOND and (12) BLUE CHITON both step back up in trip having run 4th and 5th respectively when they races each other over 1400M on March 21st. The time before that Blue Chiton beat Raymond at this distance. They both have claims here and Blue Chiton especially looks nicely in at the weights while Raymond draws nicely on the inside. (4) WONDERFUL FLY, the 2019 Korean Derby winner, and (11) SEOUL TANK are others in placing contention.
|Selections||(5) Hush Daebo (12) Blue Chiton (1) Raymond (4) Wonderful Fly|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 13|