It’s another Super Sunday at Seoul yet no crowds will be allowed in to witness Eoma Eoma and East Jet facing each other in what should be an epic sprint tussle over the 1200M in the feature event. It remains galling that even the small and enclosed indoor Jangchung Arena in downtown Seoul was able to host spectators this weekend for a volleyball play-off series while the vast expanse of Seoul Racecourse isn’t allowed to admit anyone. It is what it is, however, and betting outlets south of (and including) Cheonan will be open at 20% of indoor seated capacity. It’s a cracking day’s racing in prospect with 15 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Here is the race-by-race preview:
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maidens in the opener with six of the fourteen going around for the very first time. Third time could well be the charm for (14) HOLIDAY CHARM. He has run on well but has arrived on the scene too late in both starts so far finishing in 2nd and in 3rd. He gets an extra furlong to play with today and while the draw is less than ideal, he can make the breakthrough. In the most recent of his races, Holiday Charm was 3rd with (9) BURUI GASOK in 2nd. That was Burui Gasok’s debut and very accomplished he looked too, leading for most of the way before getting run down late on by a good winner. He has serious claims and probably starts favourite. (8) DESK TAP ran 4th on his own debut in the same race and can aim to build on that today. As for the first time starters, there were a couple of eye-catchers in trials. (11) COMPLETE HONOR won his trial in good style while (12) MAGIC RECORD registered a fast time running on strong. Both can go well first up.
|Selections||(14) Holiday Charm (9) Burui Gasok (12) Magic Record (11) Complete Honor|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 14|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Three-year-old fillies only here. (12) K N MENIQUEEN is going to be hot favourite here. While she finished well back in her first two, her times were adequate and it wasn’t much of a surprise when she won at start number three on February 5th with three of these back down the track behind her. The draw shouldn’t be an issue and she should be winning again. There are couple of others with potential. (1) SHOWMAKER ran 3rd on debut behind K N Meniqueen. That was encouraging enough to suggest there is more to come and she should be close to the pace from the inside draw here. (10) BEST CHEONSANG ran an improved 3rd at start number two in February. She has led both her races so far and will be expected to be on the early pace again. (9) GLOBAL CHEONSA was 4th in that race, continuing to show gradual improvement and looks a potential place line here along with (the solitary debut-maker (14) CHOEGANG BLACK. She ran on strong in a fast trial and could be interesting first-up.
|Selections||(12) K N Meniqueen (10) Best Cheonsang (1) Showmaker (14) Choegang Black|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 10, 13|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(5) CHEONMA TODAY showed good speed when leading all the way for back to back wins over 1200M in November and December. She weakened into 4th when tried at 1400M on February but splitting the difference at 1300M today and with the benefit of a very nice draw, she could return to the winner’s circle. The only other previous winner in the field is (8) CUPID BULLET. He was a speedy winner over 1000M on his second outing at the start of February and while up in trip here, looks set to be the main danger. (11) TAP QUALITY has been knocking on the door in his three starts so far and is one of only three in the race who has prior experience of this trip. He will be there or thereabouts again. (6) BODYGUARD and (12) HOEDURYEONG were both a touch disappointing on their respective latest outings but have hinted at ability and can aim for some money here.
|Selections||(5) Cheonma Today (8) Cupid Bullet (11) Tap Quality (6) Bodyguard|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 11, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) ACE PRINCE remains winless but has finished in the top five in all four of his starts so far. He enters having run 4th on his first try at this distance last time and looks nicely in here to make the breakthrough. Expect him to be on pace from the start and go all the way. (5) CHAMPION GAMUN will be challenging for the early lead. He has shown progress over his own four outings prior to today and steps up to 1400M for the first time with claims to go close. (6) POWER MUSIC beat a few of these on her way to 5th place over 1700M on February 5th. That was her first start since August but she already has a runner-up finish to her name at this distance and should be a danger here. (1) ETERNAL MEMORY was further back in that same race but expect better dropped back to one turn. Even further back was (3) GEUMA SWIFT. The time before though he ran on well from the back over 1200M and can be given another chance today.
|Selections||(9) Ace Prince (5) Champion Gamun (6) Power Music (1) Eternal Memory|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 9|
Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (11) STEAL THE FASHION ran a solid 2nd on debut in a similar race over the minimum distance at the end of January. She was well beaten by a good winner but herself finished clear of the rest, running on well. There is no reason why the increase in distance won’t suit and she has strong claims here. So too does (1) RED PINE. She’s been showing steady progress over her four outings so far culminating in 3rd place last time out over 1700M. She’ll come from off the pace again and will be a danger in the finish. (3) LONDON HEAT came home in 4th place in the same race and can aim to at least match that today while (4) DAEJIUI YEOGEOL and (5) TAKE HEART, who finished 2nd and 4th respectively when they raced each other over 1200M on February 5th are others with at least placing claims.
|Selections||(11) Steal The Fashion (1) Red Pine (3) London Heat (4) Daejiui Yeogeol|
|Next Best||5, 13|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 11, 13|
Race 6: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Tricky one this. (5) ONLY WINNER is probably going to be favourite with two runner-up finishes from four starts so far at 1200M and 1400M. Her other two efforts have been a bit ordinary though and despite the top stable, it may be tempting to take her on. (12) OLD SPECIAL did nothing on debut last July but finally returned to action in February with a decent 2nd place over 1200M. He can have come on for that and could be very dangerous today. (13) K FRENZY ran a good 2nd over 1400M in January. He went back to trial just a couple of weeks ago and looked bang in form when running on strong to cross the lien well clear of the rest. If he brings that form to the races, then he has a winning chance. (1) SAENAMUI BYEOL is better than his latest two suggest and along with (14) RUBICON, an on-pace type who will need to cross from the widest draw, has placing chances.
|Selections||(13) K Frenzy (5) Only Winner (12) Old Special (14) Rubicon|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 12|
Race 7: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(10) STEADY CHAMPION is a worthy favourite here having made all to get his maiden win at start number three on January 29th. He is up in class here but the time he recorded – albeit on a day where most were going fast – suggests he can be competitive at higher levels. The draw isn’t ideal but isn’t hopeless either and he can win again. It’s hard to know what to make of (14) FIRE ROAD. After running 3rd on debut he won his next two at 1200M and 1700M, coming from well back both times. With the distance in the middle today there is no reason he can’t win again but there might be one or two just a little too sharp to overturn to this time. (7) BALBATU drops back in trip after running 2nd over 1700M on February 5th beating three of these in the process. He also has the fastest time of any of these at today’s distance and is a big threat. (6) CHODONG ROCKET could only manage 6th of twelve when returning from five months out in January but should have come on for that and can improve here. (4) CHEONGSAN GANGHO, beaten by Balbatu last time, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(10) Steady Champion (14) Fire Road (7) Balbatu (6) Chodong Rocket|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10, 13|
Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(5) BLACK MUSK will be the red hot favourite to maintain his 100% record here. His win on debut was adequate but he looked really good when scoring again up at this distance on January 22nd, making all in a fast time. An additional 4.5kg today is perhaps the only question but he should be more than capable of answering it. (8) MOONHAK DREAM has just come up short in both his last two with back to back 2nd place finishes over 1200M. He loves winning trials but can’t quite make the breakthrough on the track but while he may fall short once more, she should be close on his first try at 1400M. (11) ANYANG OXEN is already a winner at the distance, having scored over it last start on February 5th with plenty of today’s rivals behind him. He’ll be handy here and can run on strong again. (7) BULGULUI RUNNER too has won at class and distance and runs very consistent times. He can be close again today. (9) SOUL MERIT is second-up after more than a year out and should improve.
|Selections||(5) Black Musk (8) Moonhak Dream (7) Bulgului Runner (11) Anyang Oxen|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 11, 12|
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
Super race this for the level. (8) PREEMAX has run consistently fast times and is a class and distance winner already. He’s been behind the very good Legend Day in both his latest two starts and has every chance of coming home on top here. He’ll be handy and run on strong. Expect him to be a short-priced favourite. (6) MIGHTY NEW began his career in impressive style with back to back wins. He was beaten by Preemax two starts back before coming very close last start when runner-up against a host of his rivals here on February 5th. Expect him to be involved at the business end of the race. That day’s winner was (3) SURISURIMA, who flew home in the straight to deny Mighty New on the line. She’s never been worse than 5th and that at least is a record she should maintain today. (14) ROCKUI JEWANG was 3rd in the same race and is not without hopes of at least a repeat. (2) UNCLE OH races for the first time since winning at this class in November over 1200M. He looked good when making all in a trial earlier this month and comes straight back into contention.
|Selections||(8) Preemax (6) Mighty New (2) Uncle Oh (3) Surisurima|
|Next Best||14, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8|
Race 10: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(3) HI HI picks himself here after a very good win in a fast time over 1300M on February 5th, his second win in a row. He’s scored at this trip too and get a nice draw here which should allow him to be on the pace. (6) OXFORD KING bolted in at his first start before running a close 4th in the Rookie Stakes over 1200M last August. His next two starts seemed to be a little bit too much too soon and he resumes here after a spell potentially dangerous first-up. (7) DALRINEUN BITKKAL has solid form at this class. He tends to race midfield and then run on which may suit today as there will be some early speed in the race. With a decent barrier he can run a good time. (5) FIGHTING NOW is consistent in this class and ran on well for 2nd when wide last time out. Given any luck at all, he should be in the finish again.
|Selections||(3) Hi Hi (6) Oxford King (7) Dalrineun Bitkkal (5) Fighting Now|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 11, 14|
Race 11: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (5) CHOEGO CAMP is a consistent mare in this class and gets her chance today. She comes in off a solid 3rd when wide early then handily placed before hitting the front at the furlong pole only to be rundown late on. She can be the one to beat here. (2) YEONNGGWANGUI MISO has placed at all four starts so far with one win to her name. She is up in class today but is well drawn and should be competitive. She looks to have a good shout of overturning the form on (4) FOREVER ONE, who also comes up in class having beaten Yeonggwangui Miso last start at 1400M. She has some sound times to her name at 1200M as well and has at least placing claims again. (6) SANTTEUTHANSEUCHIM can have her latest start disregarded when wide and beaten by a couple of these. Instead we’ll go on her close 2nd at this distance in December where she was buffeted at the start and had a very unlucky trip but still rallied for 2nd in a big run.
|Selections||(5) Choego Camp (2) Yeonggwangui Miso (4) Forever One (6) Santteuthanseuchim|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10, 11|
Race 12: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(6) MAGIC PAYNTER ran a terrific race last start on January 29th when used up early from a wide draw to lead and then battled on well. He has a better draw this time and meets that day’s winner (12) VICTOR MOON 1.5kg better for the narrow defeat. It was quite an uptick in form for him but if he runs like that again, he has every chance of overturning the form. Victor Moon is going to be the favourite though. He was patiently ridden in 2nd before pouncing on Magic Paynter late. He is up a little in the weights and has a wider draw but he is still right in this and may start odds-on. (14) WINNER TEMPLAR doesn’t know how to run a bad race. She’s won her latest two, both at 1400M and even from a wide draw her style of running puts her in the finish again today. (8) LOVELY K is a consistent filly in this class and has Moon Se-young up today. She ran on from the back last time for 3rd and should be there or thereabouts again.
|Selections||(6) Magic Paynter (12) Victor Moon (14) Winner Templar (8) Lovely K|
|Next Best||2, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 12|
Race 13: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 70 Million
Neither (9) EAST JET nor (13) EOMA EOMA should be here. Not running for a paltry 28 Million Won winner’s cheque. They should probably both have been in Dubai. But they’re here and so are we. Eoma Eoma tops most local pundits’ picks and he will be the local favourite and for good reason. His recent form is outstanding and he is a natural leader who looks capable of doing something very special at some stage. He will though need to use up some energy to get where he needs to be, especially as there are some speedy individuals on his inside. If he gets to the front though, it could well be game over. East Jet is up 2.5kg on his defeat of Eoma Eoma the last time the pair met last August, on a wet track which if the weather forecast is anything to go by, is a distinct possibility again. He is the better drawn of the pair and his record at the 1200M is sensational. While Eoma Eoma has been imperious at 1400M, the two times he has met a top class opponent at 1200M, he has been beaten (admittedly East Jet was behind him on the first of those occasions). It’s a great race and a showdown that would better belong on a bigger stage. (4) COMPLETE SWEEP ran 2nd to East Jet in January and is a consistent class 1 horse whose draw here puts him on pace and into the calculations. (1) CUPID GUY was an excellent winner at this distance at class 2 level in January and while this is a huge rise in class, his style of settling in midfield and then running on should suit and puts him in the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) East Jet (13) Eoma Eoma (4) Complete Sweep (1) Cupid Guy|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 11, 13|
Race 14: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
Wildly competitive affair here. (11) RAON JAMES was a last start winner over 1700M at class 4 level and while he steps up here, he drops a full 5kg in the weights. He likes to run close to the pace and while drawn wide, expect the same here. He can win. (2) STRONG VULTURE has been consistent recently with a good win two starts back at 1200M. His running style suggests a bit of distance might be to his liking and he looks a chance today. (6) MANSEOK JIGI is a multiple winner at 1700M, albeit some time ago now. We can disregard his last effort when he stumbled at the start but he looked like he was coming back into form prior to that and could be spot-on for today. (10) DIA KEY has been there or thereabouts at shorter distances generally weighing in with a resolute finish which hints that he is another who may appreciate some distance. (8) JEONGMUN SUMMIT too can be in the placing frame.
|Selections||(11) Raon James (2) Strong Vulture (6) Manseok Jigi (10) Dia Key|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9, 10, 11|
Race 15: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) HAENGBOK WANGJA took a while to figure things out but he’s now won four in a row and he steps up in class here following an easy win over 1800M. He is down in weight and has a great draw and while he hasn’t run the kind of time that might be needed to win here, he has been eased down in his latest couple and there could be more to come. Expect him to start at odds-on in the local pools. This is a stiff assignment though. (6) HEUNGHAENG JILJU was a great 4th last start over 1200M and the time before that ran a close 2nd to (8) MIGHTY SOO at today’s class and distance. Last year’s Minister’s Cup 3rd-placegetter has slightly the better of the draw this time and could overturn the form. Mighty Soo too can have his latest start over 2000M disregarded as he looked completely out of sorts. If he’s back to his old self, he will be in the finish today. (10) CLEAN UP BOARD and (7) WINNER BROWN are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Haengbok Wangja (6) Heunghaeng Jilju (8) Mighty Soo (10) Clean Up Board|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 11|