Saturday’s racing is at Busan with 10 races from 13:30 to 18:00. Busan Racecourse will be open to punters at 20% of indoor seated capacity. Attendance must be pre-booked through the “My Card app”. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maidens to kick things off with just five of the fourteen having raced before. Of those, (2) COLOR WIND is the pick with a 2nd and 3rd in her record already, both at this distance. She was underwhelming last start but this is softer and Perovic aboard can only be to her benefit. OO the others with prior experience, neither (4) RAPIDO QUEEN or (14) DRAGON ROYAL showed much – the latter in just one start in the middle of last year – but both have recently trialed well and significantly better will be expected today. The stiffest challenges to the selection, however, may come from the first-timers. (8) POKPUNG JILJU looks the likely favourite having shown progress across two trials, recording a very nice time in the latter. (3) THE WIN also looked competent in his heat and has every chance of going close first-up.
|Selections||(2) Color Wind (8) Pokpung Jilju (3) The Win (14) Dragon Royal|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 12|
Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) MR. INDIE was a good winner on debut over 1000M on February 5th. He steps up a couple of furlongs here but is very nicely drawn and looks to be the one to beat once more. (3) WONDERFUL FAGER ran on strong for 3rd over 1200M on his debut a month ago. The additional furlong can suit and he should be close today. Similarly, (12) CENTUM THOR finished off well for 2nd at 1200M on February 5th, beating three of these in the process and is set to figure once more. Only two of the field have raced at this distance before but both come in with recent form reading well. (10) CHOEGANG LIGER is yet to score in ten attempts but has been in the top four on each of his latest five outings. He is another who comes from off the pace and can’t be ruled out. Likewise, (14) ZERAGE comes in off a decent 2nd place at the distance last start and while the time was nothing special, he overcame a wide draw to get a good position, something he will need to do again here. (7) HILL MORE, behind Choegang Liger over a mile last time out, is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Mr. Indie (7) Hill More (10) Choegang Liger (3) Wonderful Fager|
|Next Best||14, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here and we always need to take note of any previous winners in such a race. There is just the one in the shape of (9) LOOKING CAT, who prevailed over 1400M last start. That was her first go at 1400M and her first being ridden handy and she ran on well to score. She looks right in this. (8) TWO TWO CELEB beat three of these on her way to 3rd place at 1400M on February 5th. She’s only missed the top five on one occasion from six starts so far and should be a serious player here. (4) KEY PLAYER stepped up to this trip last start and registered her best result to date with a 2nd place. It wasn’t a fast time but she should be competitive in this company. (2) TEAM SKY and (7) NUN KKOT YEWANG are others who are in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Looking Cat (8) Two Two Celeb (7) Nun Kkot Yewang (4) Key Player|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 12|
Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
It’s far from certain that there will be a Triple Crown series this year but if there is, (1) ALPHA AGAIN has the opportunity to put himself firmly in the frame as a leading contender. He has won his latest three, pretty much making all on each occasion and steps up in to the Mile for the first time today. From the inside Jeong Dong-cheol isn’t likely to waste much time getting on pace and he can win again. (8) MACH TITAN is aiming to make it three wins in a row and four in total and he looks the main danger. He ran 4th in the track’s top juvenile race last November and while he tackles further than six-furlongs for the first time, he will be a big threat and will be challenging Alpha Again for the lead right from the start – if the draws were reversed, he might be favoured. (11) KING DOMBO took a couple of races to get back in to the swing of things following nine months out but has looked good in his latest two. He has recorded a solid time at this distance before and should be in the placing frame. (5) JEONSEOULUI BULKKOT and (14) HONOR QUEEN are both better than their respective latest outings suggest.
|Selections||(1) Alpha Again (8) Mach Titan (11) King Dombo (5) Jeonseolui Bulkkot|
|Next Best||14, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 14|
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(3) WISE GIRL enters having been a good winner of an all-filly affair at class and distance on February 5th. She’s never finished worse than 5th and that was her second win at the distance. She tends to come from off the pace and she has solid claims again. She faces a stiff test here though from (5) DOMINATION. Ordinary on debut last summer, she returned in February and has won back to back races both at this distance. He is up in class here but looks to have more progress in her and if you prefer your top picks to be front-runners, then he’s the one from an excellent draw. (10) GEUMA BONNY is the only other runner in the field who has won at this distance. She comes in off a good 2nd place last start and should be in the mix again. The consistent pair of (8) B.K. LOOKS and (12) MAN OF THE WORLD are others who are solidly in the placing frame.
|Selections||(3) Wise Girl (5) Domination (10) Geuma Bonny (8) B.K. Looks|
|Next Best||12, 14|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 12, 14|
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
After running 4th on debut, (10) ACE KILLER has gone on to win back to back races beating lots of his rivals here in the process. He’s managed to get himself into handy positions and finishes off well. True, his latest win was handed to him in the stewards’ room after the first horse over the line was demoted for pushing him wide, but the pair were well clear of the rest and he should have too much for this lot. (3) DOCTOR GREY ran 3rd in that race, a further four-lengths in arrears. He’s never finished outside the top five in ten starts to date and looks the most credible danger today. (8) CHEAT KEY ran 3rd to Ace Killer back in December before stepping up in trip and running a decent 4th over a mile a month ago and has placing claims as do (5) LUCKY NUMBER ONE and (9) JUST WIN.
|Selections||(10) Ace Killer (3) Doctor Grey (9) Just Win (8) Cheat Key|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 10|
Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(12) CHOEGANG SSONSAL has won three of his last four and comes in off a terrific win in a fast time over 1400M just two weeks ago when he turned the tables on Jera, one of very few horses to beat him so far. He is up in class and back in trip today and while the draw is a slight concern, he is favoured to score once more. The sternest challenge is set to come from (1) MIRACLE DREAMING. It’s been a while since the latest of his three wins but he has been very consistent in placing and has finished ahead of plenty of these in the process. (3) NICE ONE has an impressive record of four wins from six starts. He’s up in class today but his latest two victories have certainly been eye-catching and he’ll be mixing it with them here. (4) SPICE CANDY mixes her form a little but she has a couple of really fast times in her record and can be competitive here with (14) B.K. VICTOR another who is inconsistent but competent.
|Selections||(12) Choegang Ssonsal (1) Miracle Dreaming (3) Nice One (4) Spice Candy|
|Next Best||14, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 13|
Race 8: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(2) GREAT DANCE is up in class following a win and two runner-up finishes in his latest three. He has registered a good time at this distance and the Animal Kingdom gelding looks nicely in here to score in what is not an especially strong race for the level. He ran at a mile last time as did the likely main danger, (6) JEONSEOLUI FIGHT. The latter ran out a good winner at that distance four weeks ago in a race at this class and he should be challenging at the business end today. We’ll draw a line through the latest performance by (5) TWO TWO CARLTON. Instead we’ll go with his performance two starts back when he came from off the pace to win over this distance at class 6 level. He’s finished behind Great Dance already but should beat plenty of these. (3) HUIMANGUI SORI and (8) STRONG MIND are others with solid placing chances.
|Selections||(2) Great Dance (6) Jeonseolui Fight (8) Strong Mind (5) Two Two Carlton|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10, 12|
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(3) GOLDEN WINNER defeated Winner’s Man at this class over 1800M on February 27th with an impressive front-running performance. That took him to six wins from thirteen starts and he looks class 1 bound sooner rather than later. He has the fastest time at this distance as well and he will be strong favourite to win this. He runs into (2) AKER’S DREAM here in what is a fascinating match-up with the latter coming up in trip having handily defeated several of these over 1200M on January 29th. (13) GEUMA MYSTIC was 3rd behind Aker’s Dream that day but beat him when scoring at this distance in December. He comes in nicely weighted and should be a threat. So too should (4) SONIC KING IJI. He was a touch disappointing in a good race over this distance last start but has plenty of speed and ability and should be more competitive today. (8) RISING BOY looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Golden Winner (2) Aker’s Dream (13) Geuma Mystic (4) Sonic King Iji|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 5|
Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(13) DAEMANGUI GIL beat four of these on his way to 2nd place behind the excellent Hunch on February 27th. He came out of the same wide gate to get on pace that day and if he can do similar here, then he has every chance of going one better today. This is a really good race though. Among those who went on that February race, (10) CURLIN TIME and (2) ALPHAKING IJI got the closest, coming home in 3rd and 4th respectively and both should be looking to get close again today. (5) BLUE POWER was a slight disappointment in that same race but has drawn well to get on pace early here and should go better. The biggest danger may be (14) TOP SKY. He tackles class2 for the first time but is building up a very good record having won his latest two both at this distance and both times carrying plenty of weight. He has the widest gate to contend with but he has proven flexible in his running style and has every chance of completing a hat-trick here.
|Selections||(13) Daemangui Gil (14) Top Sky (5) Blue Power (2) Alphaking Iji|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 11, 13|