So spectators won’t be allowed into the racecourses this week after all. A limited number of race fans were set to be admitted from Friday, however, officials have now ordered the KRA to put that on hold indefinitely. That means racing continues – for now – behind closed doors and with no local betting. The feature race this weekend is the SBS Sports Sprint at Seoul on Sunday, but the action gets underway with a 15-race card at Busan on Friday. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Quite a tasty little juvenile maiden to kick things off. (1) DOCTOR FASHION gets the nod, having run 2nd on debut behind Heat Yegam on June 26th. Though no match for the winner, he ran on strong in a very creditable time and won’t need to have improved too much to win here. (6) HUIMANGUI SORY ran on strong for 3rd in that same race. He has four-lengths to make up on Doctor Fashion but the addition of Djordje Perovic will do his chances no harm at all. (4) YEONGGWANGUICHUKJE did nothing wrong on debut either. His was a slower time but it was on a slower track and he has the potential to build on the 3rd place he registered. There are also a couple of very interesting first-time starters. All three half-siblings of (2) GOOD SOCKS who have made the track have been winners and the Concord Point filly almost certainly will be too. She trialed well, taking it easy early and then responding when asked.
|Selections||(1) Doctor Fashion (2) Good Socks (6) Huimangui Sory (4) Yeonggwanguichukje|
|Next Best||8, 7, 5|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
The two-year-old colts and fillies will face the starter in the second over the short course. (8) YEONGSEONGTEUKGEUP debuts in this event and comes off an impressive trial. The Old Fashioned colt has a nice action covering the ground in good fashion. He responded nicely to the asking of Jung Do-yun in the trial when clocking a good time. (3) MY STAR debuted three weeks back when finishing second behind Kkotgwa Gureum. The filly goes over the 1000m once again and is drawn to get an ideal run. (6) SORI TAEPUNG handed in a solid performance on debut when midfield behind Heat Yegam. Expect the Hansen colt to improve at his second start. (7) MIX BLADE lines up for his debut performance and looks capable of running into the money. The colt clocked a reasonable time for his trial on a dry track.
|Selections||(8) Yeongseongteukgeup (3) My Star (6) Sori Taepung (7) Mix Blade|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||8, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maidens once more but this time it’s for the three-year-olds. (6) DALLAE raced three times prior to the shutdown, never finishing worse than 4th and recording a couple of useful times over 1000M along the way. For her return, she tackles 1200M for the first time having trialed up promisingly earlier this month. Seo Seung-un knows the filly well and will likely aim to take her to the front as soon as possible. (11) DYNAMIC RUSH looks to be one of those for whom the long break did some good. The Colors Flying colt returned to action on July 3rd recording his best finish to date when 3rd over this distance. He ran on well and can build on that today. There are four first-timer starters and a couple of them look promising. (9) NUN KKOT YEWANG finished 5th in both of her pre-shutdown appearances, one of them behind Dallae, and can improve in this company. (5) SAEACHUMUI HAETSAL was a front-running trial winner all the way back in March. She’s not been seen since but if she can bring anything resembling that performance to the track, she will go well here. (12) INVISIBLE MAN brings Djordje Perovic together with Bart Rice and a colt who has been solid if unspectacular in trials but who, in a weak race, can make an impression first up.
|Selections||(6) Dallae (11) Dynamic Rush (5) Saeachimui Haetsal (12) Invisible Man|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
An even assembly of three-year-old runners line up in the fourth event over 1400m. (2) ECHO GOOD lines up for her third start after significant improvement at her most recent start. The filly finished second when hitting the line strong over the 1200m. The extra furlong should assist her chances. (7) SKY WIN comes out of the same race where the colt finished on the heels of the placegetters. He lacks early speed but is capable of reeling off a fast sectional. With a well time run he should be considered an each way chance. (10) TOP OF THE GIRL drops back from the mile after finishing fourth behind Geuma Kairos last time out. She sat on speed last start before struggling to complete the mile strongly. There is not a lot of speed engaged so she can work forward once again is rider Seo Seung-un wishes to do so. (4) TAPIT WONDERFUL ran on strong last time out to finish second behind Raon Sky Man. The margin was four lengths and the time slow for a firm track, suggesting improvement will be needed to be a winning chance.
|Selections||(2) Echo Good (7) Sky Win (10) Top Of The Girl (4) Tapit Wonderful|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 10|
Race 5: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) SUSO TANK has run 4th and 5th in two outings so far at 1200M and 1400M respectively, finishing strongly on both occasions. She has looked to be wanting further and she gets a chance to prove it here. She’s from the track’s top stable and is sure to be well-backed. Similarly, (3) ACE JACKPOT ran on strong for 4th place from well back over 1300M three weeks ago. She steps up to the mile for the first time and it may well suit. (4) CHEONNYEONUIGUREUM has raced at this distance before including a good 4th place finish on June 26th. She runs best on pace and is well drawn to get forward early under Franco Da Silva and looks to have an excellent chance here. (11) PILSEUNG IJI is another one who steps up in trip, in his case following back to back 3rd place finishes over 1400M, the latest of them just two weeks ago. Seo Seung-un remains aboard and she should go close. (7) BAEDARI CAPER has the fastest time of any of these that have raced at the distance before and can aim for some minor money.
|Selections||(4) Cheonnyeonuigureum (1) Suso Tank (3) Ace Jackpot (11) Pilseung Iji|
|Next Best||7, 9, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 12|
Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
There are plenty of chances engaged in the sixth where a field of eleven will go over the six furlongs. (5) GOOD THUNDER brings some good form into the race after finishing third behind Perfect Jewang when resuming. The Thunder Moccasin colt has drawn better in this event suggesting he can settle closer before he produces a very nice turn of foot as shown last start. The consistent (6) DOCTOR GREY has finished second at three of his five starts and finished in the top five at the other appearances. The colt resumed in good style when finishing second behind Banjiui Magic beaten three lengths. He can find a position in the leading quartet before letting down in the straight. (10) MAN OF THE WORLD comes out of the same race when finishing third. He was prominent throughout before finishing two lengths behind Doctor Grey. He is likely to work forward, and with some improvement can be considered an each way chance. (3) HAEUNDAE THUNDER finished midfield when resuming in the same race as Good Thunder. His performances last preparation suggest he can figure second-up.
|Selections||(5) Good Thunder (6) Doctor Grey (10) Man Of The World (3) Haeundae Thunder|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 10|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Two horses enter here having won on their respective debuts recently. (6) MR. FUSION brought up trainer Bart Rice’s 200th Korean winner with a somewhat unexpected dominant win over 1200M on July 3rd, making all to win by nine-lengths. Unexpected it may have been but the manner of it was certainly convincing enough to suggest that neither the step up in class or trip should be of much concern and he has claims again. (12) RAON SKY MAN was similarly easy on the eye when racing away to open his account at this distance on June 26th. He was drawn wide that day as well and is firmly in the hunt again. (3) MONOPOLY was an excellent winner last December and reappears for the first time since the shutdown. He was no better than average in a trial earlier this month, however, and may well need this. (1) ECTON STEALTH beat a couple of these on his way to 6th place at 1400M a month ago. He should have come on for that run and can go closer today. (10) TRIPLE MAGIC has been promoted in class despite still being winless. He has registered solid times, however, and shapes to be competitive in this kind of company. (4) YEONGSEONG BRAVO is a front-runner who managed a good 4th at this distance in late June and can aim to match that today.
|Selections||(6) Mr. Fusion (12) Raon Sky Man (10) Triple Magic (1) Ecton Stealth|
|Next Best||4, 3, 8, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10|
Race 8: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
The fillies and mares will go over the 1400m in the eighth where there are some handy types engaged. (4) MY QUEEN showed us what we thought she could do on debut when winning by five lengths over 1300m. The Tamna Ace filly once again looks the one to beat in this event, drawn handily she should work forward and be the first to find the rail. She looks nicely weighted as well with 53.5kg. (5) GRAND YEOWANG also comes off a Class 6 victory last start when winning over the 1200m. The Rock Hard Ten filly led throughout at her most recent start clocking a fast time. She may not be able to find the lead with speed drawn inside of her. (8) FINAL PARTY was a winner on debut last start over the six furlongs. She ran a relatively slower time when being prominent throughout. Jung Do-yun will take over the riding responsibilities on the Officer filly. (10) QUEEN OF ADELE is one of the more experienced gallopers engaged with sixteen starts under her belt. She finished second behind Secret Illusion last start, she is a chance of figuring with some improvement.
|Selections||(4) My Queen (5) Grand Yeowang (8) Final Party (10) Queen Of Adele|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) WONDERFU EI stepped up to a mile for the first time on June 26th and took to it extremely well, betting his maiden win in eye-catching style. He is up in class today but carries a similar weight and the manner of that victory suggests that another is possible here. (1) GOLDEN RAIN made all for a maiden win at this distance in January. He was scarcely involved on his return to action a month ago after starting poorly but is worth another chance in this company today. (4) CHEONNYEONUI ULRIM ran a useful 4th at this class over 1400M three weeks ago and can match or improve today. (2) EOMJI CHEOK produced a solid class and distance 3rd behind Top Sky three weeks ago, running on strongly. The mare remains a maiden after twenty-eight starts and is clearly not the fastest but she is a grinding type who should pass plenty in the run and can go close. Another even more experienced one is (9) MAERYEOK DEONGEORI. The eight-year-old surely won’t win but did manage 3rd place in a similar race just two weeks ago and another money finish isn’t impossible.
|Selections||(6) Wonderfu Ei (1) Golden Rain (4) Cheonnyeonui Ulrim (2) Eomji Cheok|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 7|
Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
The tenth on the card will see both the Korean-breds and imports face the starter over 1200m. (7) DONGTEUJA DAY is the on top selection here after having a torrid run when sitting three wide the journey last start when resuming. The colt is a very speedy type and has previously performed well against Korea’s best juveniles. With his first-up run under his belt, he should strip fitter and work straight to the front where he will prove hard to gun down. (4) YONGYEON hit the line with gusto when resuming over this distance. The Simon Pure colt is never too far away and can run into the money. He will be aided if he can settle closer to the speed than last start. (11) TAP SOCKS resumes with his last run back in February, when finishing second behind So Much Go. The Kim Young-kwan trained galloper trialed up nicely in May and can figure in the placings. (10) NAEGA SAEGANGJA won in good style last start in weaker grade. The chestnut will only carry the 53kg but may have to work early to find a position on speed from a wide gate.
|Selections||(7) Dongteuja Day (4) Yongyeon (11) Tap Socks (10) Naega Saegangja|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 10, 11|
Race 11: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) GREAT BOSS enters two for two and is up rapidly in class following a good win in a fast time over this distance on June 19th. There is no question that this is his stiffest assignment to date but he is nicely drawn to get close to the pace again and he has every chance of maintaining his 100% record. (4) YEONGSEONG VICTORY showed good potential winning two of his first three before the shutdown. He was drawn wide in his only defeat and while he hasn’t been seen since an indifferent April trial, the break may well have done him some good. (8) WINNING AGAIN produced a front-running 2nd last start on June 26th and should be close at hand again while (6) WONDERFUL TALE comes in off back to back 3rd place finishes at 1400M and carries a nice light weight today. We haven’t seen the experienced (3) JANGHAN JILJU since before the shutdown, but he posted a good trial time a couple of weeks ago and can go well first-up today.
|Selections||(2) Great Boss (4) Yeongseong Victory (6) Wonderful Tale (8) Winning Again|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 8, 12|
Race 12: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
The twelfth event on the card has some progressive types engaged to go over the mile. (9) PERFECT JEWANG looks a nice type coming off a strong victory. The three-year-old did it tough last start when sitting three wide on the sweeping bend before leveling up for the run home, going on to win by an impressive five lengths. He steps up to the mile which is unchartered territory for him, but he looks a nice type who will be suited to middle distances. (4) POWER TRAIN has won his past two and they have both been over the mile. He led throughout last start in a strong performance, he did look vulnerable in the straight before finding another gear. Choi Si-dae is the beneficiary of a suspended You Hyun-myung, picking up the ride. (7) TOP SKY finished second to Power Train last start after a rather tough trip. The chestnut has won two of his six starts with a couple of minor placings as well. He once again has an awkward gate but if he can sit one off the fence, he will be a winning chance come the home straight. (5) ARAM NARAE is next best. The mare is somewhat of a non-winner saluting once in her twenty-four starts but placing on ten other occasions.
|Selections||(9) Perfect Jewang (4) Power Train (7) Top Sky (5) Aram Narae|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9|
Race 13: Class 3 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(1) HAPPY FEVER was considered good enough to be allowed to take his chance in the KRA Cup Mile three weeks ago. He found himself a bit outmatched there, finishing 8th of 13 but he had run a fast time at this distance and should find the company more amenable today. (9) IGGYDA ran 2nd over 1800M on June 19th, beating eventual Cup Mile winner, Touch Star Man, who was having his tune-up run in that race, in the process. He has won at the distance before and should go very close here. (2) DAEHO JILJU was well back behind Iggyda in that June race but dropped all the way back to 1200M to run 2nd three weeks ago. He could be peaking here and Perovic in the saddle is a plus. (10) MAN OF THE MATCH beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd place over 1800M on June 26th. He should have come on for that run and shouldn’t be far away today.
|Selections||(1) Happy Fever (9) Iggyda (10) Man Of The Match (2) Daeho Jilju|
|Next Best||4, 8|
Race 14: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A field of ten Korean-bred runners will line up in the fourteenth where there is a lack of early speed engaged. (10) GOLDEN WINNER is the on top selection after being outclassed in the KRA Cup Mile three weeks ago. Back in restricted grade he should be able to work forward from the outside gate and sit on speed. He finished second in this class and distance before the racing hiatus behind Blue Power. He looks a nice type who should be able to climb higher than this grade. (9) CHANGE BACK comes off a second behind Rapido Man last start when working through the line nicely. He is not the most consistent type but a similar performance to that of last start will see him collect a cheque once again. (8) HWANGGEUM BEOLMA comes out of a mile event where he finished fifth behind World Today. The gelding lacks early dash therefore given the wide draw he may have to be settled further back than ideal before letting down in the straight. (3) SEONGSAN POWER comes out of the same race as Change Back where the filly finished fifth. She is lightly weighted and may add some value to your novelties.
|Selections||(10) Golden Winner (9) Change Back (8) Hwanggeum Beolma (3) Seongsan Power|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 10|
Race 15: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(9) SAMSEONG DOKKI enters having won four in a row to rapidly gain promotion to this level. Today marks another significant step up in competition for him but that’s mitigated by him having to only carry 52kg on his back and five in a row looks a real possibility. There is very little early speed here so he may just go all the way. (5) SOCKS GO started slowly but quickly rallied to blow away the field in the CHIA Trophy over 1400M two weeks ago. He has experience at two turns already and while his best finish at the distance is 2nd, he looks to be a better horse now. He can sit off the pace and finish strongly. (7) YEONGSEONG ACE ran a solid 3rd at this class over a mile on July 3rd and looks nicely in here too while (2) WORLD NUMBER ONE beat three of his rivals here at class and distance on June 28th and needs to be taken similarly seriously. Jockey Lim Sung-sil doesn’t ride much even though he has won just about every big race going. He partners (12) SMART PRINCE here, a horse with plenty of experience at the level and who is more than capable of running into the money.
|Selections||(9) Samseong Dokki (5) Socks Go (7) Yeongseong Ace (2) World Number One|
|Next Best||12, 3|