On Saturday at Seoul, Raon First ran out the impressive winner of the Listed Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup. On Sunday it’s the turn of Busan’s juveniles to run for big money as the Gyeongnam DoMin Ilbo Cup takes centre stage. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05 while at Seoul there are 11 from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the Previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener and having only been beaten a nose on debut in a fast time at this distance, (8) J.S CAPTAIN is the warm pick to prevail here. He almost made all that day and ended up nine-lengths clear of the 3rd place-getter. With a decent start here, he should win. (3) BIG RIVER also led for much of her debut on October 19th, ultimately going down to 3rd in the final furlong. She’ll join the favourite on pace and should go close again. (1) TERRA SPEED and (6) FUTURE FIRE are the only two in the field to have raced twice already. Both improved at the second time of asking and can show more development today. (11) BOHEMIAN MUSIC looks best of the rest at this stage.
|Selections||(8) J. S. Captain (3) Big River (6) Future Fire (1) Terra Speed|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Regular maiden here but a couple of promising ones are engaged. (7) HALLA BLOSSOM has shown steady improvement across three outings so far, culminating in a 2nd place over 1000M on October 19th. He tackles 1300M for the first time here and it may well suit. Crucially, he looks to be the only one to be consistently good at getting on pace so he may find an easy lead and maintain it all the way. (1) JEONGSEONG HOLIDAY stepped up to this trip last start and ran a good 3rd. He hasn’t shown much in the way of speed so far but can continue his development today while (10) DAEGUN OK similarly seems to be figuring things out and comes in off a 3rd and a 2nd both at this trip. (4) YAHO M J CAT and (9) JACKS KHAN are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(7) Halla Blossom (1) Jeongseong Holiday (10) Daegun Ok (4) Yaho M J Cat|
|Next Best||9, 3|
Seoul Race 3: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(6) BRAVE QUEEN ran 2nd on debut in September before registering her maiden win at the second time of asking, getting the best of a tight three-way finish, on October 6th. She led every step of the way that day and will endeavour to do the same here with solid claims of a repeat. (4) MUNHAK KING was 3rd behind Brave Queen on debut and followed up with another 3rd place finish on his re-appearance. He’ll be a danger but may have to settle for another placing as the other “Munhak”, (3) MUNHAK REWARD, also has ability. She steps back in trip following a useful 2nd place over 1300M four weeks ago and looks nicely in here. (2) EOMAMUSI and (9) SHARK JJANG are others to consider.
|Selections||(6) Brave Queen (3) Munhak Reward (4) Munhak King (2) Eomamusi|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 4: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Wide open race. No previous winners among them but three do come in off last start runner-up finishes and it is those three who looks set to be contesting top honours. (5) D K PURMIR is perhaps the slight pick. He was 2nd on debut over 1000M in August before having two months off and then stepping up to this trip on October 26th and running another close 2nd in a fast time having led nearly the whole way around. Nicely drawn to lead again, today can be his day. (4) CHARLIE STYLE showed significant improvement on his second outing last month in what was a good race for the level. He steps up in trip for the first time and can be dangerous. As can (11) MEOTJIN WANGJA. He’s appeared just the once and was beaten less than a length over 1000M, running through the line well. (8) MABOSS and (12) MOONHAK QUEEN, the latter debuting following a solid trial performance, are others to keep handy.
|Selections||(5) D K Purmir (4) Charlie Style (11) Meotjin Wangja (12) Moonhak Queen|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 5: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Not the stiffest of maidens here and, stepping up to two-turns for the first time, (7) SOUTHERN MAN looks the one to beat. He’s been knocking at the door over shorter trips for some time and while he is a natural front-runner, he could well simply outstay this lot to get his maiden win. (10) MANE HANA has experience of this distance already and comes in off a useful 3rd in marginally better company than this over 1300M last start. (5) GOLDEN SPARK tried this distance for the first time four weeks ago and ran a creditable 4th, beating tow of these in the process, and can build on that today. (1) HONAM DAERO and (8) KKOKKOMA LADY are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Southern Man (10) Mane Hana (5) Golden Spark (1) Honam Daero|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
The second on the card is over the mile where several of the main players are to be tested over the distance for the first time. (5) YEONGGWANGUI PARTY comes out of the Gimhae Mayor’s Cup where beaten a distant eighth. Whilst not up to the top level two-year-olds the Office colt looks hard to beat in Class 5 company. Lee Hyo-Sik is likely to let him free-wheel to be near the speed. He ran through the line strong over 1300m two starts back in similar grade and should run the mile out strong. (3) TOP FIRE has been sent out at a short price for all four of his career starts. He broke his maiden last start when stepping up to the mile for the first time. You Hyun-Myung sat the chestnut on speed last time out in a change of tactics, expect to see a similar ride engaged. (1) WONDERFUL PEACE has proved consistent early on in her career. She was a winner two starts ago and backed it up with a fourth in similar grade to this assignment. Lee Sung-Jae will look to hold a prominent position from an inside draw. She is lightly weighted and considered an each-way chance. (10) ACE JILJU looks the swooper of the field. He lacks speed out of the gates but is one that can hit the line strong for some minor money.
|Selections||(5) Yeonggwangui Party (3) Top Fire (1) Wonderful Peace (10) Ace Jilju|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) STRETTO has only won one of five so far but comes in off 4th place in the Munhwa Ilbo and 5th in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy. There are a couple of big juvenile races this weekend and next that he could conceivably have got in to, but he comes here instead, and he can return to winning ways. It won’t be easy though as he faces a competitive lot. (7) LUCKY BEOPJEON ran 2nd to Stretto back in August. He is yet to win but has three runner-up finishes to his name and shouldn’t be far away again. (2) STRONG QUEEN has an identical record of three 2nd places from four starts and can go close once more while (1) VIRTUS is up in class having registered her maiden victory in fine style on October 26th and should be on pace here and competitive. (3) SINGGEUREOUN TIME another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Stretto (7) Lucky Beopcheon (2) Strong Queen (1) Virtus|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
The third on the program has plenty of progressive types engaged. Top weight (5) YEONGSEONGFIGHTING looks hard to beat based on his most recent effort. The three-year-old son of Hansen sat wide throughout and was still taking ground of the winner. Top rider You Hyun-Myung is back aboard and from barrier five he will get every opportunity to bring up his fourth win at just his eighth start. (1) RAJPUTANA is another handy type who has collected prizemoney at all six starts to date. He gets weight relief as he lines up in Class 3 company for the first time. The four-year-old possesses a nice turn of foot so expect him to do his best work in the straight. (3) WONDERFUL MORNING is yet to finish worse than fourth from his nine career starts. He broke through last time out in Class 4 company for his first win and a forward showing would not surprise here as he has ran into some reasonable opposition of late. (6) ORYONG is another who has lined up against some handy types who have gone through the grades. Over a middle-distance he is always worth including in the novelties.
|Selections||(5) Yeongsongfighting (1) Rajputana (3) Wonderful Morning (6) Oryong|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) LEGEND STORM ran 6th behind Rollerblade in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Cup on October 26th on what was just his second start, having won his maiden comfortably at this distance in September. Returning to the shallower waters of a class 5 handicap today, he’ll be the one to beat. Having said that, it is actually quite a deep race for the level. (5) HWANGGEUM HAE is up in class having been a last start winner over 1300M and has scope for more progress, having got up late to win narrowly in a decent time. (2) GEUMA KITTEN was an all the way four-length winner on his debut on October 20th and while up in class and distance, should be dangerous. (6) DEO DEO BI beat a couple of these on his was to 3rd place last start and can aim to match that here while (10) CAMP TOUCH is best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Legend Storm (2) Geuma Kitten (5) Hwanggeum Hae (6) Deo Deo Bi|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 6|
Busan Race 4: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
The 1400m makes the fourth on the card an intriguing affair, given most horses engaged are suited over either longer or shorter. The one horse engaged which looks to appreciate the seven furlongs is (3) RAON JEONSEOL. The chestnut comes out of a similar race where he was forced to race wide throughout. He’s drawn favourably for this assignment and as per his victory two starts back expect him to sit in the first four in running. He’s proven at this class and looks a good ride for Jin Kyum. The main danger and likely favourite is (10) I’M YOUR LEMON. Leading Busan rider You Hyun-Myung will ride the filly who is tasked with overcoming the outside gate. Furthermore she will step up to the 1400m which she has had just the one attempt over for an unplaced fifth. She oozes ability and for that she must be respected. (2) MAPLE CLASSIC has drawn better for this assignment. He ran out of steam in the run to the line last time out, Lee Sung-Jae will have the five-year-old sitting in the first couple from barrier two. (8) WHITE POINT is flying at the moment, but the query lies with the seven furlongs. His past three starts have been over 1800m which he won two of them. He is up in class and drawn awkwardly, taking that into account he should be kept safe for the minor placings.
|Selections||(3) Raon Jeonseol (10) I’m Your Lemon (2) Maple Classic (8) White Point|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) KING’S CARRIAGE tackles two turns for the first time having been a close at hand 3rd over 1300M on his latest start a month ago. He’ll go forward here and look to lead and if he stays the trip then he could be hard to beat. (6) HAMYANG SANSAM will definitely stay the trip, having plenty of experience at it. He ran a good 2nd last time in a similar strength race to this and will be a danger. So too will be (12) GEUMA SUPREME. Three previous attempts at this distance haven’t gone especially well but he looks ready for another crack having beaten four of his rivals here when 3rd over 1300M on October 27th. (11) BAEKSAEK GWANGCHAE was 4th in that race, less than a length in arrears and can aim to match today. (8) HWANGGEUM DOYAJI another who can be competitive in this company.
|Selections||(2) King’s Carriage (6) Hamyang Sansam (12) Geuma Supreme (11) Baeksaek Gwangchae|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Many chances will face the starter in the Class 1 event. (1) WHINNY WING was good last time out when finishing second behind Major Alpha. The grey sat outside the leader and ran through the line strong over 1400m. The four-year-old’s pattern of racing means he will be right in this until the finish. There’s every chance he’ll be leading at some point in the straight trying to hold off the swoopers. The first furlong will be extremely important to the chances of (12) MUJEOK YEONGUNG is another that has been impressive early on in his career. The three-year-old lined up in Class 1 company last time out and finished a gallant second behind the talented Ace Korea. He is lightly weighted and has Busan’s leading rider aboard in You Hyun-Myung. (4) KING OF ACE is a class and distance winner who gets the benefit of Jeong Woo-Ju’s claim. His career best performances have been when he has led, from barrier four he can sit on speed and be given every chance. (7) CAPTAIN FORCE was hard to watch when first up last time out. He did everything wrong and blew his chances early on. The four-year-old has won nine from twenty-one and can bounce back over the 1400m.
|Selections||(1) Whinny Wing (12) Mujeok Yeongung (4) King Of Ace (7) Captain Force|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Tricky race involving four last-start winners and only three out of the twelve finishing outside of the top four in their respective latest efforts. (6) JEONGJOUI KKUM enters in excellent form, has loads of speed and more wins in him. He ran 2nd last time on his first try at this level and will be on pace here. He can win although he is stepping back up in trip with his best work having been done over 1000M. (11) JEONGMUN SUMMIT returned from two months off to make all over 1000M for a three-length win on October 26th. He’s up in class but has won over 1200M and is a serious contender here. (9) STRONG VULTURE and (8) HAWK HAENGJINGOK finished 1st and 3rd respectively when they raced each other over class and distance in October and both look in contention here. (1) BULUI QUEEN came from well off the pace to run a solid 4th last start and is another with claims on at least the minor money.
|Selections||(6) Jeongjoui Kkum (11) Jeongmun Summit (9) Strong Vulture (8) Hawk Haengjingok|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1200M) 2yo (3yo SH Eligible) / KRW 300 Million
The 14th running of the Gyeongnam DoMin Ilbo Cup is the last on the six-event card as we start to see who is the real deal of our latest crop of two-year-olds. The effort of (4) DOCTOR CARSON last time out in the Kimhae Mayors Cup was a good enough lead to suggest he will run well in today’s feature. The Hansen colt finished second behind Save The World producing one of the better sectionals in the race. SYDNEY MANGCHI (14) produced an impressive time over the 1000m last time out clocking 59.0 on a dry track. The Better Than Ready colt has been tested over the 1200m previously and won the event with ease in Class 4 company. Kim Young Kwan and Seo Seung-Un will combine with the Australian bred three-year-old and they have proven to be an effective combination. There is a lot to like about the efforts of (7) RAON YEOGOL in his three-start career to date. The Korean-bred won her first two in good times over the 1000m and then got well back in the Kimhae Mayors Cup before rattling off an impressive sectional to finish a distant fourth. She will need to sit closer in the run to be considered a winning chance, but she looks one that will be at odds. (5) GEUMA CAVALRY is likely to be flat footed at the start, however if he can let go with the turn-of foot shown last time out he can win. This will be the first time he’s stretched beyond 1000m but if ridden quietly in the second half of the field, he will be passing most of the field in the straight.
|Selections||(4) Doctor Carson (14) Sydney Mangchi (7) Raon Yeogeol (5) Geuma Cavalry|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Three of these come in looking for a hat-trick of wins. (7) CALL WIN could be the one who emerges successful. He was a good winner at this class over 1900M last time, with (6) SEOUL TANK and (2) HWANSANG STAR in 2nd and 3rd. He doesn’t carry too much extra weight today and looks to still have improvement in him. In fact, those two could end up being his main competitors again, with Seoul Tank getting within a length of him that day and Hwansang Star, though still a maiden, a very consistent type at this level. (4) EVER THE CHAMP unexpectedly got his second straight victory last start over 1700M at this level and warrants more respect today. (3) SLING STONE is up in class following his pair of victories. They were both over 1700M but the way he has run on both times suggests the additional half furlong won’t be an issue. He will need to improve though with the likes of (1) FIGHT TODAY having proven themselves competent at this level.
|Selections||(7) Call Win (6) Seoul Tank (2) Hwansang Star (1) Fight Today|
|Next Best||4, 9, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(7) EAST PALOS ran in one of the performances of the year when winning at class and distance in a super-fast time on what wasn’t an outrageously fast track on October 27th. While it’s true he carries an additional 4.5kg, he showed enough to justify favourite status here. (11) DIA SOCKS ran 2nd to Blue Chipper in the Korea Sprint before finishing runner-up again over 1200M last month. That was his tenth time finishing 2nd and another is on the cards here. (8) MORFHIS ran 2nd to East Palos two starts back at class and distance when giving him 4kg and is capable of running him close here. (5) NEW CITADEL was 4th in that same race and while he struggled on his return over 1200M last month, can be given another chance today. (12) HAVANA CHARLIE was 4th to East Palos in that fast race last month and while he has plenty to make up on the favourite, can finish in front of a few of these.
|Selections||(7) East Palos (11) Dia Socks (8) Morfhis (12) Havana Charlie|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 10|