With the Jeju ponies taking their summer weekend off, it makes for a bumper Friday raceday at Busan with 14 races running through the afternoon and evening from 14:00 to 21:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) PAGEUKCHEON came up short when sent off as the odds on favourite on hat was his third start on June 7th. That followed back to back 4ths in his opening two appearances and he can be given another chance to come out on top here. 3rd place getter that day was (6) CHEOGANG WINNER and she seems likely to be the main danger. She has a much better draw today to get to the front early and can take advantage. (2) DAEGYO and (4) HAPPY AGAIN look to have scope for improvement while the wildcard is (10) MYEONG GONGJU, who is returning to action here just over a year since we last saw her. She had shown some ability if four starts before the layoff and trialed up competently last month.
|Selections||(9) Pageukcheon (6) Cheogang Winner (10) Myeong Gongju (2) Daegyo|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Weak maiden here so we’ll need to forgive plenty of underwhelming latest starts if we’re to find the winner. (4) TWO TWO WAY was well backed but once again struggled when sent out around 1300M at the end of May. Her last two tries at this distance have been encouraging though and she should be set for improvement here. She’ll be on the early pace with (1) CHODONG DAEJANG, who races for the first time since finishing well back behind three of these on May 10. However, she was found to be slightly lame that day and back fully fit after two months off, she should be a different prospect. (2) YONGHO and (8) BEAUTIFUL KOREA were two of those who finished ahead of her that day. Both have raced since with mixed results but could go close here. (5) ECTON STEALTH is one with potential to improve.
|Selections||(4) Two Two Way (1) Chodong Daejang (2) Yongho (8) Beautiful Korea|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here with five of the eleven racing for the first time. A few of the experienced ones have shown some ability though so we’ll start with them. Indeed, four of them raced each other on their respective debuts over 1000M on June 28th. (6) WONDERFUL PEACE came out the best of them that day only beaten a neck into 2nd place. (7) TOP FIRE was 3rd, a length in arrears, while (5) ALPHA KING was back in 5th. All three should be in the hunt again although with the slight step up in trip today, Top Fire, who raced wide throughout that day, could be the one to beat. (4) ECHO SUN put in a good debut of his own a week earlier, running 2nd over the 1000M. He was improving at the end on that race, getting to within a nose of the winner and is another who may appreciate the additional furlong. Of the first-timers, (3) STAR OREUM is the pick. He was an eye-catching trial winner at the end of June and should go well here.
|Selections||(7) Top Fire (3) Star Oreum (4) Echo Sun (6) Wonderful Peace|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Another competitive maiden. Three of these raced each other over this distance on June 21st with (1) MAJOR HIT, (6) WONDERFUL WINGS and (9) MS. UP filling out 2nd to 4th respectively. All three will be expected to be in the frame today. Ms. Up can perhaps be the one with the most improvement in her and she’s marginally favoured to come from off the pace and score. Among those who didn’t go in that race, (3) AMOR FATI looks the pick. Having trialed behind Ms. Up in May, he ran 2nd over this distance in June before struggling when sent off as favourite over a mile three weeks ago. Back down in trip today, he should be much better. The other one to consider is (8) NANSAN YEOJE. She ran an improved 3rd at this distance on June 21st on what was just her second career start and is likely to be on pace here.
|Selections||(9) Ms. Up (3) Amor Fati (1) Major Hit (6) Wonderful Wings|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) PERDIDO ROCKET ran a solid 2nd when up to this trip on his second start on May 31st. He was beaten a full nine-lengths by a good winner but nevertheless, it was a promising performance and one he can build on here. (5) WILD GUY beat no fewer than four of these on his way to a second consecutive 3rd place finish on July 5th. He was only a neck away from 2nd and should be competitive again here. Among the ones Wild Guy beat that day, (4) HIDDEN BOY, who was 4th, looks to have the most potential to get closer although (6) FINAL WIND, who ran poorly in that race, had previously demonstrated ability too. (3) MAJOR PUNCH has lacked a bit of speed but has been consistently close across five starts so far and can be competitive again here.
|Selections||(7) Perdido Rocket (5) Wild Guy (3) Major Punch (4) Hidden Boy|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Race 6: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
A strong favourite is expected here in the shape of (1) HUSE JEWANG. True, he’s fallen short when market-leader twice already but he’s run up against good ones both times and stepping up to a mile for the first time, should have too much. (11) TIZBE looks the main danger. She took to this distance really well on June 28th, beating four of these on her way to 2nd place. The wide draw shouldn’t be too much of a problem and she looks to have more improvement in her. (6) ETERNAL TRON has finished 2nd and 3rd in two efforts at this distance and looks to have a good shout of maintaining that placing record here. (4) BAEDAERI CAPER was 4th behind Eternal Tron last time out and can aim to at least match that today. (5) BICHUI HOWI is best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Huse Jewang (11) Tizbe (6) Eternal Tron (4) Baedari Caper|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||6, 10|
Race 7: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) HAPPY YEOGEOL was an unexpected winner on debut over this distance on June 28th having only just barely qualified through her trial. She put in a gutsy performance though to win by a neck and should have come on for the run. Today looks harder but she has a chance. (4) ULSAN JANGGUN has just the one win from fourteen outings to date but he’s down in trip today and looks to have solid claims form a good draw. (2) BONINARA remains a maiden but has two runner-up finishes at this distance and is
another one likely to be on pace early today. (1) DAEWANGBONG and (7) REALLY ONE both come in off disappointing latest starts but both are better than that and can improve today.
|Selections||(10) Happy Yeogeol (4) Ulsan Janggun (2) Boninara (7) Really One|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) TOP DAY practically made all when running out a four-length winner on debut over 1000M on July 5th. He’s up in class and in trip today but neither should be too much of an issue and he can win again. (9) USEUNG STORY enters having won at class and distance a month ago when unloved in the market. He carries an additional 4kg today and that may make a repeat tough. (7) GUKMIN STAR has run 3rd on both starts at this class since securing his maiden victory over this distance in March. He is a little one-paced but reliable and should go close here. (2) BUSAN BOLT and (3) DAEROUI KKUM are others who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) Top Day (7) Gukmin Star (9) Useung Story (3) Daeroui Kkum|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It took (9) ULTRA POWER a couple of goes to figure things out but he’s won two of his last four and ran 2nd on his first try at this level on July 5th. Seo Seung-un will surely take him to the front early here and he is the one to beat. (10) CHEONNYEONUIJILJU ran 4th in that race, two-lengths behind Ultra Power. He’s yet to win in ten starts but has no fewer than five runner-up finishes to his name and won’t be far away here either. (1) QUEEN OF CAPTAIN returned from six months out to run a solid 3rd place over 1200M on June 29th. She should have benefitted from that and can go even better today. (4) TOUGH GREEN and (11) ISLE CAT are others with serious chances of finding the money.
|Selections||(9) Ultra Power (1) Queen of Captain (10) Cheonnyeonuijilju (4) Tough Green|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9|
Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A good race with the usual class 4 eclectic mix of new imports and semi-proven domestic bred horses. Half the field could conceivable win but a good place to start might be the race on June 21st where (4) YEONGUNG ILGI came home 3rd and (10) SEONNYANG CHEOLLI 4th in what was an overall tight finish. Both should go close here and Seonnyang Cheolli may have improvement in her and can overturn that form. (7) MALLI STAR is another maiden but he registered his best finish to date when 2nd over 1300M at the end of last month and likewise looks to be on an upward trajectory. At the other end of the experience scale, (8) YEONGGWANGUIFACTOR enters with recent for reading well and this is the kind of race he usually goes close in. There is one debut-maker. Orb filly (6) JANGSAN TOKYO looked decent in her trial last month and looks nicely in under a top jockey.
|Selections||(10) Seonnyang Cheolli (6) Jangsan Tokyo (4) Yeongung Ilgi (7) Malli Star|
|Next Best||8, 2, 11|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8, 10|
Race 11: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
It took (5) DAEHEUNG SIDAE ten goes to get his maiden victory but when he finally did it, he did it in style with a six-length romp over this distance on June 28th. He is up in class here but the manner of that victory suggests he has little to fear and while this is a significantly stiffer set of opponents, he could win again. (2) CHANGE BACK also enters off a maiden win but he achieved it at this class on June 23rd. He came from just off the pace to run on strongly over this distance and while he does carry an additional 3kg today, looks in with a shout once more. (8) NUMBER ONE STAR was favourite for that race but ended up in 4th, his lowers finish to date with his run coming just a touch too late. Don’t rule out an improvement here and with slightly more luck in running, he could come out on top. (4) EONJENA SEUNGNI and (6) EOMJI CHEOK are others with solid claims of at least a place.
|Selections||(5) Daeheung Sidae (2) Change Back (8) Number One Star (6) Eomji Cheok|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 12: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) MISS FACT comes in following back to back 3rd place finishes in the top two races of the year for three-year-old fillies, the Korean Oaks and the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup. She tackles the mile for the first time but in considerably more amenable company today, looks hard to beat and her odds will no doubt reflect that. (8) B.K. GAMBOL is a last start class and distance winner. He beat three of these on his way to a comfortable score three weeks ago and while he’s assigned an extra 3kg today, should be in the hunt. (4) POWER AMAZING was 4th behind B.K. Gambol last time and could get closer today. (7) GIJEOGUI JEOKTOMA and (9) HAPPY DRAGON are others who could slide into the minor money.
|Selections||(1) Miss Fact (8) B. K. Gambol (4) Power Amazing (7) Gijeogui Jeoktoma|
|Next Best||9, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8|
Race 13: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A winner of four from six so far, (6) YEONGGWANGUI SECRET returns from four months off, up in class but with an excellent chance of getting another victory. He was last seen winning the Gyeongnam Shinmun Cup on a wet track in March and looked sharp when winning a trial in very good order two weeks ago. If he starts well, he’ll be hard to beat. (9) GREAT ROCK beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd at class and distance on June 28th and can be a danger again while (2) SAKISAKI and (12) CHEOLBI came home 1st and 4th when racing each other over 1800M on June 23rd. Both have placing claims here. (7) EUNGNIBYEOSU enters off the back of consecutive 3rd place finishes and could maintain that streak here.
|Selections||(6) Yeonggwangui Secret (9) Great Rock (7) Eungnibyeosu (12) Cheolbi|
|Next Best||2, 10, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 10|
Race 14: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Competitive handicap to round out the card. (6) WISH ME LUCK and (8) PERFECT BOSS exceeded expectations somewhat to finish 2nd and 4th respectively over a mil eon July 5th. Both will be fancied a bit more today and back to 1400M, Perfect Boss looks nicely poised to overturn the form and challenge for the win. (3) HIDDEN STAR has had a stop start to his career but comes in here ready to go and from a good draw, if he gets on or close to the early speed, should be involved at the business end of the race. (9) AWESOME KING IJI is inconsistent but comes in off a strong 3rd place last time at class and distance and can aim for a repeat. (12) MORNING KOREA looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Perfect Boss (9) Awesome King Iji (3) Hidden Star (12) Morning Korea|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 12|