With no racing on Jeju this weekend (Seoul is off next week), there is a huge 15-race card at Seoul on Saturday running from 14:00 to 21:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) HANEUL GONGWON ran a solid 3rd on debut on June 22nd, finishing just a length behind the winner. It was an encouraging start and she won’t need to improve too much to win here. (6) JAENEUNG CHUNGMAN improved to 2nd on her latest start over 1300M. She drops back in trip today and should be firmly in contention. (8) YULONG FLYING put in a couple of promising performances in May and early June. He’s subsequently been back to trial which he came through in competent enough fashion. (4) ACE WIN and (7) GOLDEN ANGLE, the latter of whom may be the early leader – and struggled in the kickback when he didn’t last time – are others to consider.
|Selections||(1) Haneul Gongwon (8) Yulong Flying (6) Jaeneung Chungman (7) Golden Angle|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||7, 10, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Not the strongest of maidens this so we’ll be looking for something to step up. (7) GOLD HERO ran 3rd on debut on an all-filly affair on June 30th and so naturally draws the eye. The time was slow though and others may be favoured. (6) SAMAE JILJU has shown some ability with a 3rd and a couple of 4th place finishes. She got a bad bump at the start last time and later was found to have bled. Accordingly, she went back to trial and went well. (9) SEONGPAJANG too had excuses last time in that she was found to be slightly lame. Back fully fit she should go much better today. (1) GOLDEN SPARK has been no better than average so far but has arguably been racing in better company so may improve. (2) USEUNG MACHA drops back in trip and can also be considered.
|Selections||(9) Seongpajang (6) Samae Jilju (7) Gold Hero (1) Golden Spark|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens with four of the ten having raced once before. Of those, (6) K N ROAD is set to be strong favourite here. He ran a decent 3rd on debut on June 15th and while he was a good seven-lengths behind the winner, it was a useful time and he should have come on for the run. (4) JEONGSEONG STAR didn’t do herself any favours on debut when hanging out in the home straight but does look the most credible danger here. Otherwise it’s the first time starters we need to look out and of those, trial winner (7) RUFFIAN PARK looks the most likely, along with (1) ILBO DEUNGCHEON and (9) RAIN K.
|Selections||(6) K N Road (4) Jeongseong Star (1) Ilbo Deungcheon (9) Rain K|
|Next Best||7, 8, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Another set of average maidens. (5) GWACHEONUI BYEOL beat (1) RECENT DREAM as the pair came home 2nd and 3rd in a similarly weak affair over the same distance on July 7th. It was an uptick in form for both and they can keep it going here with Gwacheonui Byeol again favoured to come out on top. After a couple of promising trials, (10) WINNER TEMPLAR didn’t do a lot on debut at the end of June but should have come on for the run and can improve today. Similarly, (2) TRUE RUBY underwhelmed on her first star but can build on it here. (3) HWANGGEUM STAR the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(5) Gwacheonui Byeol (1) Recent Dream (10) Winner Templar (2) True Ruby|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 9|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Two and three-year-old maidens and a big prize on the line with just three of them having run before. (12) MYEONGJIN FLY ran a strong 2nd on debut on June 22nd. He was beaten five-lengths by a good winner (King’s Step) but it was promising nonetheless and he looks the one to beat here, even though he will have to overcome the widest draw to get to the front. (11) BRIGADIER GENERAL ran 3rd in that same race just over two-lengths in arrears of Myeongjin Fly. He too has drawn wide but he looks to be the most significant threat. As for the first-timers, (3) MOVIECUS caught the eye when winning a trial just two weeks ago and looks set to go well first up. (6) MUNHAK BOSS also won his heat and can be dangerous. (9) GAYA YEONGBONG best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Myeongjin Fly (11) Brigadier General (3) Moviecus (6) Munhak Boss|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 11, 12|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Since getting her maiden win in December, (1) INDY LADY has been knocking on the door of a repeat with some very respectable recent results almost all of which were in better company than this. That includes her latest 5th place when she led for much of the race. From the inside gate she can get to the front here and should win. (2) CHAMP K got his maiden victory at this distance in April and ran a solid 5th on his first try at this class in May. Granted there were only eight runners but the margins were narrow and he comes in off twelve weeks’ rest with strong placing chances. (3) BLESSING ROAD showed signs of a return to form on his latest outing and should be close to a place here. (7) NAE GIRUI BIT and (8) P.K. GUNHWANG are both up in class following maiden wins at this distance and both should be competitive at this level too.
|Selections||(1) Indy Lady (8) P.K. Gunhwang (2) Champ K (3) Blessing Road|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Since being promoted to this level following a win back in March, (7) GENERAL ROSE has registered three consecutive 4th place finishes. It’s time for her to step and she can do that today, likely leading from the start. It won’t be easy though. (1) RAON PATRICK will be on pace too and while she is up in distance for the first time, she looks ready for it and will be a threat. (5) M J PARTY and (4) INDIAN ECO came home 3rd and 4th when they raced each other on June 30th at this distance and both can go close once more. (11) HANSEN BAROWS got a poor trip last time and can go better today.
|Selections||(7) General Rose (1) Raon Patrick (11) Hansen Barows (4) Indian Eco|
|Next Best||5, , 106|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) BEST EVER seems to have got to grips with this level and ran a decent 4th over 1300M on his latest start in June. A previous attempt at this distance didn’t go so well but he looks ready for another crack and can come from just behind the early pace to go close here. It’s a very competitive race though. (6) BRANDON already has a class and distance 2nd to his name and while he was only 6th last time the margins were tight and he was less than two-lengths behind the winner. He too will come from behind the early lead. (11) EVER THE CHAMP beat three of these on his way to a close at hand 2nd place on June 22nd and is likely to be one of those setting the pace here. (3) EMORY SOCKS and (10) DOLGYEOK APEURO are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Brandon (2) Best Ever (11) Ever The Champ (3) Emory Socks|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11|
Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(4) CLEAR GEOM comes here off a shock win in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup, the final leg of the “Triple Tiara” for three-year-old fillies, a month ago. She came from off the pace to run down a tiring leader that day and has to be given serious respect back in this class today. (7) BODEURAM is a clear danger with a win and a pair of runner-up finishes from his latest two starts. He looks set to lead here and won’t be as easy for Clear Geom to run down over 1700M as those fillies were at 2000M. (6) JUMBO CAPTAIN was a class and distance winner last start, leading all the way, and while he carries an additional 4kg today, is to be taken seriously. (2) GIDONG DAEGANG and (5) LOVELY NUTE are both better than their latest outings suggest and both have placing claims.
|Selections||(4) Clear Geom (7) Bodeuram (5) Lovely Nute (6) Jumbo Captain|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 10: Class 3 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Small but very competitive field. (2) KILIUI JEWANG makes a return to this distance following a 2nd place finish in a really good race over 1200M last month. He has to carry top weight but that’s for a reason and under Lee Hyeon Jong, he could win here, likely trying to lead all the way. It’s a tough ask though. (3) INCHEON CHIEF was 4th behind Kiliui Jewang in June and has since run 3rd at 1400M. The Pioneerof The Nile colt steps up to two turns for the first time today and it seems likely to suit. (8) HWANSANG STAR remains a maiden but has several near-misses and should be close at hand again. (1) JUMEOK DOKKI and (7) SAMSAM VICTORY are others more than capable of finding the money.
|Selections||(2) Kiliui Jewang (3) Incheon Chief (8) Hwansang Star (7) Samsam Victory|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8|
Race 11: Class 5 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Another competitive race but (8) SIMON QUEEN ran 3rd on her first try at this level on June 30th. While she was a long way behind classy winner Running Box, it was a good performance that if repeated in this company can see her home on top. (7) KING OF RULES remains a maiden but steps up in class nonetheless today with some solid runs behind him and he should be competitive. Another maiden (1) HANEUL ACE had a poor day at the office on his latest start but is better than that and can demonstrate it here. (2) NONSTOP HAENGJIN steps up in class after a maiden win over 1000M on June 23rd and is in with a shout of at least securing some minor money. (9) BARAMUI SORI looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Simon Queen (7) King Of Rules (2) Nonstop Haengjin (1) Haneul Ace|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 10|
Race 12: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) COLORFUL JOY is moving rapidly up the classes having won his latest two by as many as he pleased. He actually gave up three-lengths with a poor start last time but cruised on by to win by a cool seven on the line. While he can’t afford that kind of start in sterner company today, he should be completing a hat-trick here. (5) BEYOND OVER enters off the back of consecutive runner-up finishes and while he may find one too quick again, shouldn’t be far away. (6) ISCRA was a narrow class and distance winner on June 30th and while he’s up quite a bit in the weights, can hold his own again. (2) WONDERFUL TRUTH and (11) GLOBAL CHEONHA are others to keep an eye on.
|Selections||(3) Colorful Joy (5) Beyond Over (6) Iscra (11) Global Cheonha|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 7|
Race 13: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) MIGHTY WING remains a maiden after eight attempts and while he came up short as favourite last time over 1700M, he didn’t run badly and is worth another chance down in trip in a similar strength race today. He should be on or close to the early speed and stay on all the way. The main dangers are likely to challenge for the early lead too. The principal one is (11) CHOIN BOLT, a winner of three from four so far to move rapidly up the classes. This is his toughest assignment to date and the draw has done him no favours, but if he gets away well, he could be hard to beat. (3) PRETTY ODD BOY has out in three promising runs since returning from six months off and shouldn’t be too far away. (1) BLUE FIRE and (9) FASHION PEOPLE are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(11) Choin Bolt (6) Mighty Wing (3) Pretty Odd Boy (1) Blue Fire|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 11|
Race 14: Class 3 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(9) ACTIMON got his maiden win at the sixth time of asking over 1300M at the end of May. He’s had nine weeks off since then and is up in class today but he could well be the one to beat. (3) MALIBU GINGER has been running creditably in tough company recently and should be a danger. He is likely to lead early. (10) NIMUI HYANGGI has a 3rd and two runner-up finishes from three attempts so far at this level. he too will look to lead early and is more than capable of going all the way. (5) DAEBAK HAENGJIN comes in following four consecutive 2nd place finishes. That’s put her up in trip and while she might struggle to get so close this time, she’s a contender for some minor money. (7) DORAON NALRI looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(10) Nimui Hyanggi (9) Actimon (3) Malibu Ginger (5) Daebak Haengjin|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 10|
Race 15: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) ULTRA PUNCH beat three of these on his way to victory over class and distance on June 9th. It was a return to form for a gelding who’s shown bug potential as a juvenile and he can back it up with another win here. (3) YAHO STRONG CAT was 3rd in that race and is a class and distance winner himself. He’s consistent and is set to be a big danger. (6) GIO STAR has plenty of experience at this level and is consistently close. While he usually finds one or two too quick, he can place again. (2) TAP FASHIONED is another with plenty of recent near-misses. Those see him up in class today but he can be competitive under a light weight. (9) SAMSEONG DONGHANG on the other hand is a little bit inconsistent but goes well on his day and could be an interesting outsider.
|Selections||(1) Ultra Punch (3) Yaho Strong Cat (6) Gio Star (2) Tap Fashioned|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 9|