It’s Good Friday at Busan and there are 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here is the race-by-race, horse-by-horse guide:
RACE 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance – 3yo KOR-bred Fillies / KRW 40 Million
- PARTY LION – 2nd favourite on debut over 1300M after promising trials but was one-paced and only managed 8th of 11. Drops back in trip for return and can improve.
- DAEGYO – Debut-maker. First foal out of a dam who is half-sister to Tough Win, who won many big races here. Few clues from trials – finished behind Mach Queen and ahead of Jeongseong Beach. Watching brief first-up.
- PERFECT ANGEL – Only beat one home on debut last month behind Chodong Jinju. That was in line with expectations and they won’t be much higher today.
- TIZBE – Debut-maker. Half-sister to three winners at this class. Went through two trials finishing in front of Boryeong Hwanho in the latest of them. Foreign owner, trainer & jockey.
- RAPTOR CORE – Favourite on debut on March 22nd having won a trial and performed well enough in 2nd place. Should be on pace here and make no mistake today. Hot favourite.
- CHODONG JINJU – Raced twice and improved to 4th on latest at this distance on March 15th. Took an age to get going but ran on nicely and with a better start could be in the hunt.
- YESULUI GYEUNGJI – Debut-maker. 2nd foal from a mare who won 10 of 40 starts here. Older brother 1 win from 6 starts. Trailed adequately. Watch the market.
- JEONGSEONG BEACH – Debut-maker. Half sister to a couple of good colts who both had careers cut short through injury. Trialled behind Mach Queen and Daegyo but top trainer and jockey and good run possible.
- BORYEONG HWANHO – Debut-maker. Only foal from the dam. Trialled up behind Tizbe and better to watch first-up.
- JOYPEL – Last on debut behind Party Lion. Sent back to trial. If she can get to the front from the start, she may go better, but others favoured.
- MACH QUEEN – Debut-maker. Put in a very promising trial last month in a decent time and ahead of two other first-timers here. A chance.
- GWANGMOK CHEONWANG – Six months between her first two starts and didn’t impress on either. Top trainer and jockey combination though and improvement not impossible.
VERDICT: A maiden for three-year-old fillies kicks things off and all roads lead to (5) RAPTOR CORE, who it’s hard to see getting beaten here. She was a competent 2nd on debut and looks far ahead of the rest in terms of development. (1) PARTY LION didn’t really do herself justice on debut at 1300M but can be backed for improvement dropped down to the minimum distance today, while (6) CHODONG JINJU’s improvement last time, despite the bad start, gives some cause for optimism. Of the debut-makers, (11) MACH QUEEN is best placed to go well first up with (7) YESULUI GYEUNGJI another who should be competitive.
|Selections||(5) Raptor Core (11) Mach Queen (1) Party Lion (7) Yesului Gyeungji|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 11, 12|
RACE 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance – KOR-bred 3yo / KRW 40 Million
- WILD GERANIUM – Well back on debut behind Final Wind before running 6th over a mile on return a month ago. Began well that day but weakened and can continue to make progress here.
- YEONGGWANGUI CHEER – 7th and 5th in two starts so far, both at 1000M. Top trainer and jockey and ay appreciate the additional trip.
- CHANGE BACK – Improved 3rd on second start at this distance on March 22nd but was still six-lengths behind Ultra Power. Can improve again but will struggle to overturn that form.
- ACE GIRL – Has been sent off at three-figure odds for all three outings to date and while there has been some progress, she’ll be a big long-shot again.
- ULTRA POWER – 6th behind Tamna List before running a good 2nd behind Doctor Week at this distance on March 22nd having led for much of the race. Should be on pace again and has solid claims.
- FINAL WIND – Much improved 2nd, albeit well beaten by a good winner, on first try at this distance on March 8th. Will need to improve again but top jockey booked.
- CHEONNYEONUIHEUIMANG – Debut-maker. Half-sister to a couple of worthy but unspectacular plodders. Trialled twice and was better in the most recent. Tough ask first-up.
- TAMNA LIST – Overcame some bumping at the start to run 2nd on March 15th having previously beaten three of these, including Ultra Punch, on debut a month earlier. Real chance.
- TIZ HERO – Debut-maker. Third foal from dam who won 6 of 41 starts here. Very slow in trials. Stablemate of Wild Geranium and despite top jockey booking, not recommended first-up.
- SATURDAY QUEEN – Offered little in three starts so far and big improvement will be required here.
- KOSAT – Best of 7th from three outings so far. Back up in trip today and lots to find.
- LOGIN KOREA – Offered little in two starts to date, both at 1000M. Top jockey on today but still looks up against it.
VERDICT: (5) ULTRA POWER has improved across three starts so far and led for much of the way over this distance last time out before ultimately being beaten by a good winner. He’s well drawn to get to the lead early here and he may be tough to catch. (8) TAMNA LIST has already beaten Ultra Power and can continue the positive start to his career by being a danger here. (6) FINAL WIND was much-improved on her latest outing last month and can maintain her momentum today. (2) YEONGGWANGUI CHEER and (3) CHANGE BACK look best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Ultra Power (8) Tamna List (6) Final Wind (2) Yeonggwangui Cheer|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
RACE 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance – KOR-bred 3yo / KRW 40 Million
- DAGYEONG HUIMANG – Last of 12 on debut last month and sent back to trial. Slow in trial too and not recommended here.
- B.K. JOHN – 10th of 11 on debut last month, beaten by Star Boy. Lots to find.
- BAMBI SKY – Debut-maker. First foal from his dam. Offered few clues in his trial and a watching brief first-up is advisable.
- STAR BOY – 8th and 11th in two starts so far, well back behind Baramgwa Gureum on latest. Outsider.
- BUNDANUIBYEOKNEOME – Debut-maker. Dam has produced four-winners and this one trialled up encouragingly. Top jockey on and a chance first-up.
- AUTO SONIC – Debut-maker. From the track’s top stable, he trialled up behind Baramgwa Gureum but didn’t do much wrong. Could be anything – watch the market.
- B.K. MARVEL – Last in both starts so far and although she was a touch less slow in the latest of those, she can’t be recommended here.
- TIME WINNER – Debut-maker. A couple of half-siblings have had some ability, but he only scraped though his trial in a slow time.
- TIME TOGETHER – Six months between his first two outings last September and this March and neither were impressive. Lots of improvement required.
- BARAMGWA GUREUM – Improved 2nd on her second start on March 29th having led throughout the early part of the race. She’s the one to beat here.
- PERDIDO ROCKET – Debut-maker. She trailed competently alongside experienced racehorses and is in with a shout of a money finish first-up.
- KKEUTPAN CLOSER – Debuted without distinction in December, after which he was sent back to trial. Performed adequately in fast March trial and can be better today.
VERDICT: It’s hard to look past (10) BARAMGWA GUREUM in this relatively weak maiden. The Peter Wolsley filly led for much of the way around on her second start three weeks ago only to weaken late on for 2nd but should have come on for that and can lead all the way here. None of the others with experience are easy to recommend, so we’ll look to the first-time starters to find the main dangers. (5) BUNDANUIBYEOKNEOME didn’t look out of place when trialling alongside experienced horses last month and should go well first-up while (6) AUTO SONIC did nothing wrong in his heat either and the stable will tempt plenty. (11) PERDIDO ROCKET also looked competent enough in a trial three weeks ago and can aim for some prize money.
|Selections||(10) Baramgwa Gureum (6) Auto Sonic (5) Bundanuibyeokneome (11) Perdido Rocket|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 10|
RACE 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance – KOR-bred / KRW 24 Million
- FINAL FRONT – Sent off at odds of 80/1 last time on March 22nd but beat three of these on his way to 3rd place. Warrants significantly more respect today.
- DAEROUI KKUM – Held his own over four starts so far despite finishing no better than 5th. Can sit off the early pace and possibly run into a place.
- OPEN SESAME – Sent off at odds approaching 350/1 on debut three weeks ago and ran like it. Big Outsider again.
- FUSION PARK – Getting closer with a 3rd place last time at 1300M and steps up to a mile for the first time. Likely to be on pace early and has claims.
- GOLDUI INYEON – No better than 3rd from ten attempts and well back behind Fusion Park last time. Others better.
- YEONGBONGSAN – 5th behind Final Front and Dynamic Bolt at a mile last time out but was 2nd at this distance on March 1st. Should be close.
- BUSAN MAGIC – Best finish of 5th and hasn’t shown much in the way of speed. Needs to improve to challenge here.
- KING OF JOY – 7th on debut at a mile last month behind Powerful Pit. Too early to recommend but may have come on for that run.
- JANGGUNEUI JILJU – A stablemate of Fusion Park, he debuted inauspiciously last November but was much better on return three weeks ago and can continue to progress here. Interesting outsider.
- DYNAMIC BOLT – Looks to be figuring things out with a 3rd and two 4th place finishes from her latest three. A neck behind Final Front last start, a top jockey is booked today, and she could win.
- NEPTUNE – The most experienced in the race although not much of that experience is good and plenty of these have beaten him already.
- POWERFUL PIT – 2nd in weak maiden at a mile on March 8th before running 5th at the same distance three weeks ago. Placing chances.
VERDICT: Tricky race but we’ll go with (4) FUSION PARK, who has beaten a few of these already, to continue to progress and from gate 4 to get on the lead early and go all the way. (10) DYNAMIC BOLT’s recent efforts have been promising and she looks set for more development here. She’ll also challenge for the early lead and has claims. (1) FINAL FRONT beat three of these at this distance last start and should beat plenty again. (2) DAEROUI KKUM and (6) YEONGBONGSAN are others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(4) Fusion Park (10) Dynamic Bolt (1) Final Front (6) Yeongbongsan|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 10|
RACE 5: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
- KING STORM – A long time since her solitary win and recent form has been cold. Up against it here.
- URANUS J – Returned to form with 2nd place in a stiffer race at 1300M a month ago. A previous try at this trip didn’t go well but he looks ready for another crack here.
- BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN – One-paced but stays running at that one pace all day and plenty usually come back to him. Not sure if it is even possible for him to win a race but if it is, today’s his best chance.
- TWO TWO TURBO – Maiden win came at 1300M in March before running 5th on first try at class and distance two weeks ago. Likely to get an easy lead here and can stay on for at least a place.
- MANY DESCENDANT – Well back behind Two Two Turbo last time and will struggle to overturn that form here.
- UJU JEONGBEOL – Slightly disappointing 7th behind Two Two Turbo two weeks ago but was a class and distance 3rd the time before. Jockey booking is a plus.
- HWANHAN SESANG – Longest shot on the board when running 3rd at class and distance three weeks ago in a better-looking race than this. A repeat is possible.
- WANBONG – Offered little in his first twelve outings but has suddenly found form and a maiden win last time out. Up in class today but could keep his momentum going.
VERDICT: (2) URANUS J lost his way slightly after getting his maiden win last September but looks to have figured out this class finally with a 2nd place at 1300M last month, albeit seven-lengths back behind a good winner. If he can get the trip this time, he can win. If he doesn’t then it leads us to one who we know will and that’s (3) BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN. He has no speed at all but plods on and picks off lots late on. Today could be the day he finally picks them all off. (4) TWO TWO TURBO can get an unchallenged early lead and has claims to stay on while (7) HWANHAN SESANG, a useful 3rd last time, should be in at least the placing hunt again.
|Selections||(2) Uranus J (3) Bulmyeoruimaripgan (4) Two Two Turbo (7) Hwanhan Sesang|
|Next Best||6, 8|
RACE 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- FIGHT MAGIC – Maiden winner over this trip at the fifth time of asking a month ago. Up in class today but should be on pace early and should be competitive.
- NORMAL CLASSIC – Made all for a maiden win at this distance in February but struggled for position from a wide draw on first time at this level three weeks ago. Should be better today.
- NEW JACK SWING – Good 3rd at class and distance on February but well back on latest outing. Inconsistent.
- LOVE LETTER – Struggled in four starts at this level since maiden win last November. Hard to recommend here.
- BRITE ACOUNT – Still a maiden after twenty-seven attempts and recent form offers little cause for optimism over that changing any time soon.
- JOYFUL MEMORY – An eighteen-race maiden but enters in good form. 2nd behind the useful Tongil Hanguk in February then 6th to the very useful Seobu Cat last month. A chance here.
- CHEONSANG OREUM – Bad day at the office last start but she’d been going well prior to that and is worth another chance here. Top jockey on today.
- JAESAENGMYEONGNI – Drops back in trip after an unsuccessful spin around 1800M. Has some decent class and distance results and shouldn’t be too far away.
- GIRL CRUSH – Got promoted to this level by virtue of three 3rd place finishes and hasn’t found it easy. Back in trip today but an outsider.
- MIR KAN – Well off the pace in recent outings and little reason to think that will change today. Big Outsider.
- MONEY BLACK HOLE – Shown ability and while disappointing last time, he was found to have bled. Trialled up well at the end of March and could be a factor.
- TRIPLE BOSS – A 4th and a pair of 5th place finishes in his latest three. Capable of at least matching those here.