The final race meeting in Korea of 2018 is at Busan on Sunday and a big one it is too with 15 races from 10:45 to 18:00.
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
We begin with twelve juveniles racing for a big prize. Five of them have raced once before while the rest make their debuts here. It’s a useful looking set of animals too with (2) MAJOR POWER set to be favourite. She ran 3rd on debut at this distance three weeks ago looking nice and competent in the process and with just a bit of improvement, she can come home on top here. (9) BAEJJANG was 2nd on his debut at 1000M. The time wasn’t hugely impressive, but it was a decent enough performance and he can improve for the extra distance today. (3) SAMBA RHYTHM and (12) FUSION PARK also did enough on their respective first starts to warrant consideration. Among the debut-makers, (10) MERCI CHERIE looked best in trials.
|Selections||(2) Major Power (12) Fusion Park (3) Samba Rhythm (9) Baejjang|
|Next Best||10, 11, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
More maidens here. Two of the twelve are racing for the very first time and one of them could well start as favourite. That’s (8) FANTASTIC GIRL is half-sister to Ghost Whisper, who won 14 of 32 starts between 2011 and 2015. She trialled a couple of times in September without making it to racing but then looked much better when winning a heat earlier this month. Top jockey aboard and plenty to like first-up. (10) DOCTOR WEEK and (4) GOLDEN SHARP came home 2nd and 5th when they raced each other at 1300M at the end of last month. Both should be contenders here and back down in trip today, Golden Sharp may overturn that form. (1) SECRET LEGACY raced prominently before weakening slightly over 1300M two weeks ago and can improve here while (6) MAN OF THE MATCH did nothing too wrong on debut in November and is another set for improvement.
|Selections||(8) Fantastic Girl (4) Golden Sharp (1) Secret Legacy (10) Doctor Week|
|Next Best||6, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
He’s finally made it to the track. (8) SUCCESS PARTY is a “full” brother to Success Story, a Korean Stakes winner who also registered two 3rd places in races at the Dubai World Cup Carnival. Success Party won a trial in November in a fast time and should have too much for this less than intimidating set of rivals. (12) DONGBANG WARRIOR and (4) BUGYEONG DANDY both showed improvement in their latest starts and can continue to make progress here while (1) ROSA too has hinted at ability when running 4th and 5th in her first two outings. At the other end of the experience-scale, (2) SERENDIPITER remains a maiden after twenty-three attempts but enters off the back of some positive recent results and can challenge for a place here.
|Selections||(8) Success Party (4) Bugyeong Dandy (12) Dongbang Warrior (1) Rosa|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) SEONGSAN SIMON raced twice in the first half of this year, registering a 2nd place in June. He’s had plenty of setbacks since but looked fast in a late-November trial and could well be the one to beat in less than stellar company here. Main danger is (5) JOY OF LUCK, who ran on pleasingly enough for 3rd on debut at 1000M back in October and finally returns here up in trip. (1) YEONGGWANGUI STAR looks like he is finally figuring things out with back to back 3rd place finishes in his latest two outings and he could repeat today. (2) BAEKDU DAEHO and (6) KARIN are others with the potential to improve in this company.
|Selections||(7) Seongsan Simon (5) Joy Of Luck (2) Baekdu Daeho (6) Karin|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 8|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) GOLD TICKET is still a maiden but finds himself up in class following a 3rd and two 2nd place finishes from four starts so far. His latest was a close-run thing, leading for much of the race but ultimately narrowly going down in a fast time at this distance on November 16th. The step up in level really shouldn’t be an issue against this lot, and if he repeats the performance from last time, he’ll take some beating. (6) MACH RANGER enters off a useful 3rd last time and can compete while (9) S S YOUNG keeps offering hope that he might finally win a race, putting in a decent 3rd last time as well. (12) HWANSANG DOKJU returns more than six months after registering her maiden win at this distance in June. Her trial run three weeks ago suggests she’ll be competitive in this company. (2) GOP DDA the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(1) Gold Ticket (12) Hwansang Dokju (6) Mach Ranger (9) S S Young|
|Next Best||2, 4, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 12|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) BLACK TEN returned from seven months off to run a solid 4th in a very similar strength class and distance affair on November 23rd. He should have come on for the run and can compete for top honours here. He’ll likely be on pace early alongside (1) RENAISSANCE MAN, who today returns for the first time since getting his maiden win on his second career start all the way back in July. That was at this distance and looked well in a trial three weeks ago and can be an immediate threat first-up. The one they both need to beat though is (3) HAPPY DRAGON. He’s up in class today having registered his own maiden win at the distance on November 30th. In contrast to the other two, he will be steadily away and look to finish strongly. (2) MEISTER GO and (8) TOWER CAPTAIN are prime among a number of other competent looking animals here.
|Selections||(5) Black Ten (3) Happy Dragon (1) Renaissance Man (2) Meister Go|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) GEUMA GHOST is up in class following her maiden win in November. She practically made all that day and while this is certainly tougher, she can repeat following seven weeks off. (9) KEEP GOING is the major danger in this filly (and mare) only event. She may still be a maiden but has come close on several occasions including 2nd and 3rd from her latest two, both at this distance. She can settle just behind the early lead and finish strongly. (5) DAY STAR also remains a maiden but is up in class following one near-miss too many at class 6 and she can be competitive at this level. (4) NINA and (7) JOYFUL MEMORY are others who should be in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(9) Keep Going (8) Geuma Ghost (5) Day Star (4) Nina|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8|
Race 8: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(11) GWONTOJUNGLAE ran 6th in the Breeders’ Cup, the nation’s top juvenile race but that doesn’t tell the full story. He was slowly away and then ran wide in the home straight yet still finished extremely strongly. The additional distance could suit him, and he could win this. To do so, he’ll need to overcome (8) DEEP MIND. The filly was a good winner over 1300M on debut at the end of November and looks to have plenty of potential for more. She’s likely to try to lead from the start. (9) GWANGHWAMUN SIDAE and (1) TORNADO KING both step up in class having come home 1st and 2nd at this distance on November 23rd. There was just a nose between them that day and they should be right in the mix here as well. (2) RARARA hasn’t been too far away in recent efforts, all of them at this distance, and she can bid for some prize money too.
|Selections||(11) Gwontojunglae (8) Deep Mind (9) Gwanghwamun Sidae (1) Tornado King|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
This race is being run in honour of Triple Nine’s historic fourth President’s Cup win and it’s his stablemate, (2) SPOT, who can take home the prize. The Hansen colt drops back in trip following a good win over 1200M three weeks ago and could well have the beating of these too. (8) SWEET MEMORY ran a good 2nd over the distance last time out a month ago and looks the most credible danger although (5) YEONGGWANGUI CHAMP is better than recent results suggest and may benefit from the drop back in trip. (1) HANEULUI TTEUT and (9) WINNER CINDY are others who should be in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(2) Spot (8) Sweet Memory (5) Yeonggwangui Champ (9) Winner Cindy|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 8|
Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
An emphatic class and distance winner on November 16th, (1) DAMYANG GONGJU may be carrying an additional 4.5kg today but she’s favoured to repeat. She’s never been worse than 5th from twelve career starts and from the inside she can make her way to the front early and lead from there on. (6) BOUND QUEENS and (8) SHE JUST WIN came home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced each other at class and distance on November 30th and they should be among the main dangers here. (7) DYNAMIC GO too enters off a solid 2nd place on what was his first try at this level. He’s yet to win but has now finished as runner-up on no fewer than five occasions and matching that is a realistic target here. (5) NEULHAERANG comes in after back to back 3rd places and is one of a few more who could realistically challenge for the money.
|Selections||(1) Damyang Gongju (7) Dynamic Go (8) She Just Win (6) Bound Queens|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 12|
Race 11: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Imported juvenile maidens here with six of the ten making their racecourse debuts. And it’s one of those first-timers who is set to be favourite. (10) JJA JAN bolted up in a trial two weeks ago and if the Adios Charlie gelding brings anything like that form to the races, he will surely take some beating here. The other debut-maker who can make an impact is (2) SPECIAL KING IJI, who also showed some speed in a trial earlier this month. The most likely dangers are those with experience though. Draw a line through (1) SMILE FACTOR’s latest as it was in a much tougher race than this. True that one 2nd place he has amidst four well-beaten efforts, wasn’t in a strong race but it was no weaker than this one. That means that (5) OCALA TEUKGEUP and (6) JINJJA GANGJA can improve too.
|Selections||(10) Jja Jan (2) Special King Iji (1) Smile Factor (5) Ocala Teukgeup|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10|
Race 12: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) COOL MINT is up in class following an eye-catching seven-length score at this distance on November 30th. True, that was his first win in ten attempts and true, this is harder, but the manner of that victory means he must be given a chance here. (11) ALECTO actually beat Cook Mint when the pair an 1st and 2nd over 1000M at class 5 in October. Alecto promptly followed up by scoring on his first try at this level over 1200M last month. He still carries a nice light weight here and he is a danger. (6) GEUMSUYA has only raced three times and now seems to be figuring things out. He ran well for 4th in a stiffer race than this last time and can get even closer today. (5) JOYFUL STORY and (8) I AM YOUR KING look best of the rest.
|Selections||(9) Cool Mint (6) Geumsuya (11) Alecto (8) I Am Your King|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 11|
Race 13: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
No fewer than nine of the twelve enter here having finished no worse than 3rd in their most recent outings. Favourite is (7) MR. SCAT, a good 2nd over 1800M last time out three weeks ago and a winner last time he tackled a mile. He goes best when close to the front from the start and is well drawn to do exactly that today. (12) RED CLOUD was zero for six prior to a seven month lay-off but is suddenly two for two since returning in October, both coming at this distance. He’s up in class here and the wide gate means he’ll have a harder time getting the early lead, but he is in with a chance again. (3) WONDERFUL MEMORY is one of the few who had a poor day at the office last time. The 1800M that day didn’t seem to suit though, and he should be a different proposition today. (2) YEONGGWANGUIWINNER and (6) BAEDARI GOSU are principals among several others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(7) Mr. Scat (12) Red Cloud (3) Wonderful Memory (6) Baedari Gosu|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 12|
Race 14: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Another really competitive race but (9) CALL UP THE GUARD beat four of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance on November 16th and he’s favoured to do so once more under a very light weight, this time coming out on top. Of those behind him that day, (3) USAIN NUT, who was 3rd, returned just two weeks later to run a very good 2nd over 2000M and he looks like being the main danger today. (2) POTENTIAL comes in following a good 2nd place at this class over 1400M. She tackles two-turns for the first time and there’s no reason why it can’t suit. (8) BLUE FLAG’s latest three outings have been in Stakes or Group company. This should suit more. (4) HEUMUT and (10) ACEUI SEONMUL are others to watch out for.
|Selections||(9) Call Up The Guard (3) Usain Nut (2) Potential (8) Blue Flag|
|Next Best||4, 10, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 11|
Race 15: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Despite having no luck on the Triple Crown trail – indeed, only taking part in one of the three races die to his stable’s over-abundance of other options – (10) CAPTAIN FORCE has still shown himself to be one of the top colts of his crop. He was a good class 1 winner over 1800M last time and drops back to this trip for the first time since winning at it back in April. He is up 5kg in the weights but still go very well. (8) DAMYANG HWANHO comes in after a very good campaign in the Queens’ Tour races, most recently running 3rd on the Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup. She’s nicely weighted, can be on pace and should be firmly in the hunt. (3) DAEHO SIDAE is always there or thereabouts and should be again. The one they’ll all need to beat though is (5) KING OF ACE. Though he only ran 7th in the Kookje News Cup last month and has accordingly swerved a trip to the Dubai World Cup Carnival and while the weights also do him no favours today, he is the class horse of the race. (1) USEUNG LINE and up in class (9) FIVEFOLD are others with placing chances.
|Selections||(10) Captain Force (5) King Of Ace (8) Damyang Hwanho (3) Daeho Sidae|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 10|