Sunday sees the final card of 2018 at Seoul (don’t worry, we have Busan next weekend) and there is a bumper 15-race program with the highlight being the Trainers’ Cup. The 1st race is at 10:45 and the last at 18:00:
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Draw a line through the latest from (1) GEUMA ZENITH as it was in one of the strongest juvenile races of the year. This is completely different, and he ran in a close 3rd at the distance at the end of October. A similar performance today can see him home on top. (11) GEUP HAENG MA and (2) MONEY SHARP finished 2nd and 3rd when racing each other at the distance on November 25th. Both are showing signs of figuring things out and should be in the hunt today. (4) VICAR BRACING has had an interrupted career so far but ran well for 2nd over 1000M a month ago and looks ready to step back up in trip today. (7) HANAMICHI went well in a trail at the end of November and could challenge for a place.
|Selections||(1) Geuma Zenith (11) Geup Haeng Ma (2) Money Sharp (4) Vicar Bracing|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 10, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maiden fillies here. (5) MODU DREAM ran a strong 2nd on debut at this distance on November 24th and with even a slight amount of progression here, she can win. Another one who was promising on debut was (8) DAEJI YEOGEOL, who ran a close 3rd and can similarly do even more this time. (1) NAREUDUSI and (3) CHOEGANG DIA have shown a little bit more promise than their bare results suggest so don’t be surprised if both get much closer today. There are two debut-makers and (2) RAISING ANGEL is set to be well-backed. She won a trial in a fast time at the end of November and if she brings that form to the races, will be right in the mix.
|Selections||(5) Modu Dream (2) Raising Angel (8) Daeji Yeogeol (1) Nareudusi|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) DALGWA GUREUM debuted inauspiciously in June before being put away for five months. He’s run well in two starts back, most recently only going down half a length having almost made all over this trip on December 1st. He should be on pace here and can lead all the way. (12) BANGTANMA has been a touch inconsistent across five outings so far but has taken her chance in tough company and run well. She should be right up there (5) EVERYTHING WIN is a bit more experienced and has run 3rd at this distance already. (4) ROAD HILL STORM and (7) CHEONNYEONUI BARAM have offered glimpses of ability and could get close here.
|Selections||(9) Dalgwa Gureum (12) Bangtanma (7) Cheonnyeonui Baram (5) Everything Win|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here. (10) NIMUI HYANGGI was only beaten a nose on debut at this distance at the end of October and while he weakened for 7th on his reappearance last month, looks worth another shot today. (7) GAL IP improved to 3rd on what was her second career start, three months after the first. She came from way off the pace that day and should appreciate the step up in trip here. (1) SUN SPIKE was slowly away on debut last month but rallied for 3rd place and he too should benefit from more distance today. (3) WONDERFUL BRUSH and (5) SUN OF THUNDER are others firmly in the frame.
|Selections||(10) Nimui Hyanggi (7) Gal Ip (1) Sun Spike (5) Sun Of Thunder|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3 10|
Race 5: Class 4 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Four of these raced each other over this distance on November 25th and (10) GEUMSEOK DOLPA was the somewhat surprising winner, coming from off the pace to score by just under two-lengths. He carries a bit more weight today and this is a tougher race, but a repeat is not impossible. More likely though is that the runner-up that day, (4) SPEED WINNER gets things right. He’s been 2nd in both outings so far and last time got off to a bad start which possibly cost him the race. He’s the pick today. (7) INCHEON CHIEF was 4th in that race, just under a length behind Speed Winner and should also be competitive. Among those who didn’t go that day, (9) DAEGUN JEPAE ran a strong 2nd on debut at this distance on November 18th and should be dangerous while (5) FIGHTING LANGFUHR has run well twice at 1000M so far and steps up in trip for the first time with claims to go close.
|Selections||(4) Speed Winner (9) Daegun Jepae (7) Incheon Chief (10) Geumseok Dolpa|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Both (6) BEST HILL and (8) MY HAWK, are up in class having won their respective debuts last month. Of the pair, Best Hill looks best equipped at this stage to make the step up and is favoured to win again. (3) BLUE ANNA enters off the back of a 4th and a 3rd at class and distance, running well both times and she can get close once more here. (4) RULER had a hard time when stepped up to 1300M at the end of October and was later found to have been lame. She’s hag eight weeks off since and should be much better back at the minimum trip today. (1) YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN and (5) L CHOICE are others who are proven at this level and should be in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Best Hill (3) Blue Anna (5) L Choice (4) Ruler|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another tricky contest but (4) EAST KWAENAM has run competently for a 2nd and two 3rd place finishes from three starts to date, the latter at this distance and has as much chance as any of making the breakthrough here. (2) DAEBAK HAENGJIN and (7) SAMRYUK EUTTEUM came home 4th and 5th when they raced each other on November 11th and both will be contenders here with Samryuk Eutteum likely to be setting the early pace. (6) PREEM VISION was a much improved 3rd last time and can continue his progress today. The wildcard is (11) DREAM YEONGCHEON, a winner of three from five before suffering a setback that kept him out for a year. He returned to action running 5th behind (8) FINAL ESSENCE in October and if he has come on for that run and especially if he can make it to the front early, could play a role.
|Selections||(4) East Kwaenam (7) Samryuk Eutteum (2) Daebak Haengjin (11) Dream Yeongcheon|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||7, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) ISCRA is a winner of two from six so far and has never finished any worse than 4th. He was beaten just a head by Huracan at class and distance on November 24th having led almost to the line and is favoured to go one better today, likely leading all the way. This is a really good race for the level though. (2) TIAGO TOUCH and (8) HEUNG OREUM ran 2nd and 4th with just half a length between them in a very similar race on November 24th and both should be strong contenders here (6) GEUMA KINGDOM, (7) YEOWOORI and (9) UNDEFEATED all step up in class having won last time out. Geuma Kingdom looks the most progressive of the three and could well go very close here.
|Selections||(1) Iscra (6) Geuma Kingdom (2) Tiago Touch (8) Heung Oreum|
|Next Best||5, 10, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 8|
Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
Juveniles only here and one of the strongest class 5 races we’re likely to see. Nine of the ten are already winners but the time may have come for the only maiden, (2) CHANGPA to finally step up. After running 4th on debut she’s finished as runner-up four times in a row, beaten by decent horses each time. She surely has wins in her and the slight step up in trip today may be just what she needs. Last time out, Changpa beat (1) GLOBAL CHUKJE, who now has a win and a 3rd from two outings and there looks to be more to come. (5) THANK YOU MOTHER and (6) DADDY GLORY are among four who enter here straight after their maiden wins and have the potential for and immediate repeat. (8) RAYMOND’s sole win came when he was promoted following a disqualification in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup and he’s certainly capable of finding the places. (10) FIGHTING HERO another who has shown good promise.
|Selections||(2) Changpa (6) Daddy Glory (1) Globak Chukje (10) Fighting Hero|
|Next Best||8, 5, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Race 10: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) RULES ICHEON had a hard time down at Busan in the Breeders’ Cup (Korea’s top juvenile race) three weeks ago but is much better than that and comes in here up in trip and firmly in the frame. He was drawn out wide that day and couldn’t get involved but things should be very different today. (4) PRINCE OF SUN and (5) MAMKKEOT DALYEO were both somewhat surprising class and distance winners on their respective last starts. Mamkkeot Dalyeo looks the more convincing of the pair but both will warrant more respect this time. (2) SINBIRYONG is another who enters having won at the distance last time out although in his case it was at class 6. He should have enough about him to make the step up without too many issues. (11) ARES THUNDER is consistent at this level and will be close.
|Selections||(1) Rules Icheon (5) Mamkkeot Dalyeo (11) Ares Thunder (4) Prince Of Sun|
|Next Best||2, 3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 6|
Race 11: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) RAPIDOCUS is two for two so far with both wins having been impressive showings over 1300M. He’s up in class and in distance but his running style suggests that neither should inconvenience him too much and he can maintain his 100% record. (1) GANADORA comes in having been an unexpected class and distance winner at the beginning of last month. Today is stiffer but she can go close again. (10) HWANGGEUM JUMEONI may prove a stiffer foe though having run a very solid 3rd in a decent race last time. (2) STRONG RUNNER and (7) WONDERFUL LUCKY are others who should be in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(3) Rapidocus (10) Hwanggeum Jumeoni (1) Ganadora (2) Strong Runner|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 11|
Race 12: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(10) SUPER FLUID put in a huge run at long-odds to run a fast finishing 3rd in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy – a top juvenile race – last month. That was over 1200M, but he’s already won at 1300M and the two-turn trip looks destined to suit. Primary danger is (9) MEGALIOS. He comes in off two consecutive victories, the latest of which was at this distance and is up in class today with good claims to go close again, possibly trying to lead from the start. (7) BLUE MA STAR is another two-year-old who may suit the trip. He ran 2nd in a very quick 1300M race last month and looks a nice prospect. (8) GEUM NOA and (3) HAENGBOGUL CHAJA are others who can be competitive.
|Selections||(10) Super Fluid (9) Megalios (7) Blue Ma Star (1) Best Yeji|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Race 13: Class Open (1200M) Allowance / KRW 150 Million
Feature race of the day is the “Trainers’ Cup” and last year’s winner (5) GASOKBULPAE returns to defend his title in this valuable sprint. He enters in useful form too following a somewhat surprising 3rd place in the President’s Cup over 2000M last month having led much of the way. He’ll need to be at his best and then some though if he’s to stand any chance against (4) GAON CHAMP, a winner of six from eight so far and facile victor of his last two in times most of these will struggle to replicate. He surely wins this. (1) SINGYU GANGJA as come back into form of late and has placing claims while both (2) THEME DEUNGGEUK and (7) GANGSEONG DAEGUK can compete for the minor money.
|Selections||(4) Gaon Champ (5) Gasokbulpae (1) Singyu Gangja (7) Gangseong Daeguk|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5|
Race 14: Class 3 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
After finishing 4th on debut, (9) GUREUM WANGJA has since won four in a row to rapidly progress through the levels. The latest was over this distance at class 4 and while up in difficulty again today, he looks to have plenty of potential for more. (11) WILD DRAGON comes in on a winning streak of his own which currently stands at three. He almost equalled the track record on an admittedly fast running surface a month ago and is similarly up in class today. He’ll need to overcome the wide draw to get on pace, but he has every chance. It’s a really good race though. (4) PANGPANG GARI was slightly disappointing when favourite over 1200M on November 24th but is worth another chance here while (6) PHILLANIKE steps up marginally in trip after good showings at 1200M. Both are dangers. (1) HAENGUN MONEY, starting for the first time since September, and (12) CALLIOPE are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Gureum Wangja (12) Calliope (11) Wild Dragon (4) Pangpang Gari|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 10|
Race 15: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) MUNHAK JOY won three of his first four and comes in having run 5th of 13 in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy, a very competitive race. He looks very nicely in here, should be on speed early and can return to winning ways. There are some useful rivals though. (6) LEONNING STROM and (7) EAST PALOS both come in having gone close in recent starts and are more than capable of causing the favourite problems here. (3) GLOBAL LINE ran 4th behind Leonning Strom last time out and can aim to match today. (11) YAHO STRONG CAT enters of the back of two consecutive wins and accordingly finds himself rapidly up in class. He carries a nice light weight here and can continue his good run of form.
|Selections||(8) Munhak Joy (7) East Palos (6) Leonning Strom (11) Yaho Strong Cat|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 10|