Winter is here! It’s turned quite chilly across the Korean peninsula this week but it should still be pleasant enough in the daytime sunshine to enjoy some racing. The main action of the weekend is on Sunday when both Seoul and Busan will host big juvenile races but before that, there is a bumper 13-race card at Seoul on Saturday from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) GREEN Y struggled when stepped up to 1300M at the end of last month but prior to that recorded her best finish so far when 2nd at this trip in September. That wasn’t a strong race, but neither is this and she’s shown more in the way of speed than most here so if she gets off to a good start, she can win. (9) DAEJI GONGJU ran an improved (although admittedly distant) 2nd last time out and can look to build on it today. She’s not the quickest of starters but can run on well. (6) DOUBLE RAINBOW has two 4th places to her name and should be beating plenty again. There are two debut-makers and of them (12) LOOKING GOOD looked competent enough in trials and can go well first-up.
|Selections||(5) Green Y (12) Looking Good (9) Daeji Gongju (6) Double Rainbow|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 10, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here and six of the twelve have raced before. Of those with prior experience, (5) YAHO THUNDER CAT ran 3rd behind a couple of useful looking ones (the 2nd place-getter has since gone on to win too) on October 20th. He was prominent throughout that day, is well drawn to lead, and could win this. (6) BUCKETFUL GOLD ran very greenly on his own debut back in September to the extent that Stewards placed a warning on him. Nevertheless, he still managed to finish 4th and comes back in after a couple of months off with scope to improve. The main dangers though are likely to be from the first-timers. (3) CHOIN BOLT and (7) OKAY TAP came home 1st and 2nd in an October trail with just half a length between them. They both looked competent and should go well first-up here. As ever, the market may offer some clues.
|Selections||(5) Yaho Thunder Cat (3) Choin Bolt (7) Okay Tap (6) Bucketful Gold|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens here with just four of the twelve having previous racing experience. Only one of those four has experience to boast about and that’s the likely favourite (9) CHEONNYEONUI BARAM. He’s raced twice and improved to 4th on the most recent of those five weeks ago, coming from well off the pace having shifted inwards and bumped another horse at the start. He ran into trouble in the home straight too so with a clean trip today, he has every chance of winning. There are two standouts among the debut-makers. (1) SUN SPIKE was the fastest in trials putting in two very solid efforts, the most recent of which was just two weeks ago. Expect him to begin well and to be a danger. (3) DORORA won a trial in good fashion at the beginning of this month and can be a threat too. (2) TANTAN WINNER and (8) MY HAWK are other first-timers who can go well.
|Selections||(9) Cheonnyeonui Baram (1) Sun Spike (3) Dorora (2) Tantan Winner|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maiden fillies only here. Four of them raced each other at this distance on October 28th and that day (8) BLACK GINGA finished the best of them coming home in 2nd place. She came from off the pace to record her best finish to date and has to be given a chance here. So too though does that day’s 3rd place-getter, (4) BANGTANMA, who was just a neck behind. She previously ran 5th in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup and should be looking to lead all the way here. (3) SUNSHIN MARINE had a poor day at the office on her latest start, beginning slowly and never being involved. She had shown ability prior to that though and can go close here. (7) DAESEONG HANEUL and (10) NEW PARADIGM have both run just the once and both showed some promise that they can build on today.
|Selections||(4) Bangtanma (8) Black Ginga (7) Daeseong Haneul (10) New Paradigm|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 9|
Race 5: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) CHANGSEONG ILHO ran solid 2nd place over 1300M two weeks ago, his best finish in twelve outings to date. He’s raced at this distance in the past and looks ready for another crack at it in what is a really weak looking contest. (7) SAMAE STAR too has run at this distance before and enters in decent form with a 4th and a 3rd from her latest two at 1200M and 1300M and she looks to be the main danger. (4) SINBIRYONG’s recent work has all been at 1000M and ran well enough for 4th last start. (1) LUCKY FACTORY and (3) MAIN EVENT are others who could potentially improve.
|Selections||(5) Changseong Ilho (7) Samae Star (4) Sinbiryong (3) Main Event|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Class 5 fillies here. (6) GREEN DARC registered a win and a 2nd place from her first two starts before taking her chance in the Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup – Seoul’s top juvenile race – at the end of last month. She was found out a little there but didn’t run badly and dropping back to the minimum trip, she will be expected to return to winning ways today. (5) DAMON ANGEL won a weak filly-only race back in July before being a bit ordinary in her first two tries at this level. She returned to form with a close 3rd place a month ago and she should be a threat today. (1) BLUE ANNA also comes in off the back of a positive 4th place at class and distance and has placing claims too. (8) NAMWON QUEEN and (10) RAON WILLIAMS, the latter better than her latest two suggest, look best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Green Darc (5) Damon Angel (1) Blue Anna (10) Raon Williams|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8|
Race 7: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
There were almost four months between (1) MUNHAK ARIARI’s first and second starts but he seemed to benefit from the fresh beginning, running a good 3rd over this distance on October 27th. From the inside gate, he should be on pace again and can lead all the way. That same day but in a different race, (5) SINGSING MARY made her racecourse debut and she did well, finished 3rd in a decent time at this distance. She can come on for that today and should be a danger. (5) GWACHEON JANGSA is a proven winner and comes in following 3rd place in a similar race three weeks ago and should at minimum be aiming for a repeat here. (3) FIGHTING LANGFUHR, promising on debut and (12) BEYOND OVER, a proven winner at the distance, are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Munhak Ariari (6) Gwacheon Jangsa (5) Singsing Mary (3) Fighting Langfuhr|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) GEUMA GLORY won her first two starts and enters here following back to back 4th place finishes in both the Munha Ilbo Cup and Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup, the two top juvenile races for locally bred horses at Seoul. She was well-beaten both times but looks to have scope for further development and she’s in with a major shout here, likely trying to lead all the way. (3) RAON JAMES ran a close 4th in a tight finish on his first try at both class and distance on November 3rd and he’ll join Geuma Glory in aiming to lead early. So too will (6) SUN BOLT, who races for the first time since August but was going well before the layoff and looks nicely in here. (8) RAON MIRACLE too enters with rcent form reading well, especially a 3rd place at class and distance last time while (10) UP LIGHT is up in class following his maiden win on what was his fourth start at the end of last month. He made all that day and while a repeat won’t be easy from a wide draw today, he shouldn’t be out of his depth.
|Selections||(1) Geuma Glory (3) Raon James (10) Up Light (6) Sun Bolt|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 12|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Very competitive looking filly-only race. (1) BLUE MA STAR was a good winner on what was her second career start on October 27th. She’ll settle just off the lead here and could win again. (11) I.B.S. QUEEN has won two of her three so far. She’s up in class today and while she’ll need to overcome the wide draw to get to her favoured forward position, if she can do that, she has every chance of completing a hat-trick. (12) GONG SAN and (2) LOVELY NUTE are also up in class having come home 1st and 2nd over this distance on October 28th. Both should be competitive although Lovely Nute has a better draw and looks to have more improvement in her and can overturn that form today. (7) LUXURY HAPPY is very experienced but oddly tries this distance for the very first time on her 23rd career start. She enters in good form and can go close. (9) MONE FLYING best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) I.B.S. Queen (2) Lovely Nute (1) Blue Ma Star (7) Luxury Happy|
|Next Best||12, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 10, 11|
Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Tricky contest this but (7) CAPTAIN POWER may just about have the edge. He’s run well for 3rd and 5th across his latest two, both at this distance and both races marginally stiffer than this and he can come out on top today. Also entering in good shape though is (10) HWANGGEUM JUMEONI. His Solitary win came at this distance in August and he’s followed it up with two solid 3rd place finishes. He’ll need to find a little more to beat Captain Power but is definitely capable. (1) SOMETHING MYSTERY races for the first time since slightly underperforming behind Hwanggeum Jumeoni back in September. That was his first try at this trip and he’s worth another chance to get in the places today. (3) GEUMGANG CHEONHA displayed poor manners last time to the extent that she was ordered back to trial. She still managed to finish 4th though and while she was appropriately sullen and slow in said trial, don’t rule her out of going well today. (12) NAM SON comes in after decent efforts at shorter distances and looks ready for another crack at two turns here.
|Selections||(7) Captain Power (10) Hwanggeum Jumeoni (1) Something Mystery (12) Nam Son|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 9|
Race 11: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) ISCRA is up in class having won his latest two in fine fashion, He looks very nicely in here with a good draw to get on the early speed and he should win again. (7) JUMBO CAPTAIN and (1) ECTON SINHWA came home 2nd and 3rd at class and distance on October 28th and the two of them look set to be the main dangers with both set to come from off the pace and Jumbo Captain favoured to get the closest to the favourite. (4) PUREUN JILJU ran well for 5th place in a decent race at class and distance on October 28th and can go well again. (11) HURACAN finished off nicely for 3rd over 1000M last time out and is another who should be in at least the placing frame here.
|Selections||(2) Iscra (7) Jumbo Captain (1) Ecton Sinhwa (11) Huracan|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 10|
Race 12: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(9) PANGPANG GARI came home in 2nd place in a good race at class and distance on October 27th. Today he’s drawn a little better and can get to the front from the start and go one better. (12) MONEY CAMP was 3rd that day, less than a length behind Pangpang Gari and he can be a threat again. (1) NAUI BICHIYEO was an eye-catching eight-length winner over 1000M in August before struggling when sent up to 1400M for his first try at this level on October 14th. 1200M should suit better today and he can get close. (8) WHANGHORAN JILJU ran a useful 3rd last time out beating a couple of these along the way and can aim for the places again. (2) V KHAN can have a line drawn through his latest having lost ground at the start and not making it up. He’s better than that and gets another chance today.
|Selections||(9) Pangpang Gari (1) Naui Bichiyeo (12) Money Camp (2) V Khan|
|Next Best||8, 10, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 10|
Race 13: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(4) CHEONGDAM JEWANG is up in class following an eight-length score over 1300M on October 20th. He’s run well at this distance on several occasions already too and he can win again today. (2) BLUE WOLF is up in class too, in her case following a four-length win at this distance last month. She’s very nicely weighted here and can be competitive. (10) GLOBAL BANK is another who takes on this level for the first time, in his case after an emphatic all the way win at 1300M on October. He’ll try to get on pace from the start and a repeat isn’t impossible. Among those with experience at this level already, (3) PENACOVA enters with recent form reading very positively and while he tends to find one or two too quick, he’ll surely be competing for at least the places here. (8) DORAON ACHIM HAE ran 3rd on his first try at this class four weeks ago and is another firmly in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Cheongdam Jewang (10) Global Bank (2) Blue Wolf (3) Penacova|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 10, 11|