The Queens’ Tour concludes at Busan on Sunday afternoon with fifteen fillies and mares linig up for the Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:40 to 17:10 as well as 11 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews along with horse by horse for the big race:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Weak maiden to begin with so a good opportunity for plenty of these who otherwise wouldn’t come close to a win. (5) JEONGMUN K has been getting better across five starts so far and comes in off a decent 3rd in a better race than this last time out. He has as much chance as any here. (6) GOD OF SOCKS registered a 3rd place on debut back in July and while he hasn’t yet managed to match that. He doesn’t look completely bereft of ability and should be on pace early today. (4) REIGN too showed improvement last time and should get close here while (1) KING N I and (7) ROAD MAN are slightly lesser prospects but can challenge for the places.
|Selections||(6) God Of Socks (5) Jeongmun K (4) Reign (1) King N I|
|Fast Start||3, 6|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maiden here with all except one having raced before. (4) ACE SOLONGO is one of three who have raced twice and she comes in off a close 2nd place over 1000M a month ago. She ran on well and could benefit from stepping up in trip for the first time. The increased distance may also benefit (2) DOKDO YA, who ran 5th in debut last month finishing off well. (7) GEOM HONG debuted at this distance four weeks ago and ran well for 4th. He started well that day before dropping back and then rallying and today could be on pace. (8) STRIDE UP was 2nd – albeit a fair way behind the winner – when up to this trip for his second start. (5) WONDER BRACING ran very greenly on debut all the way back in August but still managed to finish 3rd. He’s had some time off so it’s a fresh start today and with Antonio Da Silva taking the mount, he can go close.
|Selections||(4) Ace Solongo (7) Geom Hong (5) Wonder Bracing (2) Dokdo Ya|
|Next Best||8, 6|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) BEST EVER was a five-length winner on debut on October 14th, coming from just off the pace to score impressively at this distance. He’s up in class here and will need to improve but the manner of that win suggests there is more to come. (2) MAPAEBONG was a similarly impressive class 6 winner in August and beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd place on his first try at this level last month. He looks the main danger here. (5) JEWANGUI BYEOL returned from more than six months off to run a creditable 5th at this distance at the end of September. He should come on for the run here. (10) DUSON WANGJA and (12) STAR LIST remain maidens but both come in off the back of useful 2nd places at class and distance and both have a chance to repeat.
|Selections||(7) Best Ever (2) Mapaebong (5) Jewangui Byeol (10) Duson Wangja|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) MAJJABEUN SON was a slightly unexpected winner at class and distance on September 29th, coming from off the pace to record his maiden win at the seventeenth time of asking. She only carries and extra couple of kilos today and Johan Victoire remains aboard and a repeat can’t be ruled out. (1) TRIPLE HAPPY took to this distance well when sent up for the first time last start, running out a close 2nd. He’ll join Majjabeun Son in looking to close strongly. That pace could be set by (2) FLYING JOY who can have a line drawn through his latest effort as he was impeded by a riderless horse and who has shown he can be competitive at class and distance. (3) SISPUMA WINNER and (9) ONNURI ALBA are others to take into account.
|Selections||(6) Majjabeun Son (1) Triple Hapy (2) Flying Joy (3) Sispuma Winner|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 7|
Busan Race 1 Selections: 4, 1, 11, 6
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
This isn’t a very strong race so attention needs to be paid to (6) DONGSEO GADEUK, whose 6th place at the distance last time was in stiffer company, He was some way behind the winner but not far off 3rd and can go very close here. (7) POX RANGER remains a maiden but ran well at this distance last time out and should be in the hunt while (4) GEOBOOGI MANSE similarly can be given another chance after a lackluster showing last time out, with good form leading up to it. (2) SO ARA DAEWANG and the up in class but yet to win (9) DAEMYEONG SOLAR, are others who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) Dongseo Gadeuk (7) Pox Ranger (9) Daemyeong Solar (4) Geoboogi Manse|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Both (3) PERFECT BOSS and (4) WINDY PARK step up in class having won their respective latest starts, both of them over 1300M. Perfect Boss looks to be still on the way up and having already been a winner at this distance, he’s favoured to prevail once more. Windy Park will be on pace early and is the clear main danger but the rest will need to improve. (6) V MAN may appreciate the drop back in trip today and should have the beating of a few of these while (7) HANEOL GONGJU returns from nine weeks out having already proven competitive at this level. (2) BAEDARI GOSU struggled to get involved last time out when beaten by V Man but can show a bit more here.
|Selections||(3) Perfect Boss (4) Windy Park (6) V Man (7) Haneol Gongju|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 8|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(5) CHOCO CANDY is a half-sister to the KRA owned Mr. Crow, who runs in the United States and she has gone well in two starts to date, finishing 4th on debut in August before winning on reappearance in early October. She should be on pace here and can make it two in a row. (4) GOLD HAMMER has run 3rd in both his starts so far and the Aussie import should appreciate the additional trip today. (7) JOUNIGA was a good 3rd on debut four weeks ago at this distance and looks likely to go close too. (1) THUNDER BLADE is another promising one who was solid on debut over 1000M last month while (2) MIGHTY WING has been beaten by a couple of these already (Gold Hammer and Jouniga) but looks to have potential for improvement.
|Selections||(5) Choco Candy (4) Gold Hammer (7) Jouniga (1) Thunder Blade|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) RED CLOUD finished 2nd in no fewer than five of his first six starts. After seven months off, he returned at the beginning of October and landed his first career victory, scoring very nicely at this distance. His reward is to be put up in class but he should still be competitive and can get an early lead from the inside and win again. (2) BAEKDU QUEEN also steps up in class after a somewhat surprising maiden win and has a bit more to find so more favoured is (7) JILJU CHOEGANG, who came home 3rd at class and distance last start on October 14th and can go well again today. (11) I’M YOUR STAR enters in good shape following back to back class and distance 3rd place finishes and should be in the hunt while (4) CURLIN FANTASY and (6) WIDAEHANGWANGGYONG are others to look out for.
|Selections||(1) Red Cloud (7) Jilju Choegang (4) Curlin Fantasy (11) I’m Your Star|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) ONE IN A BILLION took a couple of goes to figure things out but has run well in both his latest two finishing 3rd and 2nd. This is a nicely competitive race but he should be on pace from the start and can finish on top. (3) SAMRYUK EUTTEUM enters following back to back 2nd places, the latter of which was at this distance. Both times he’s been a long way behind a good winner and he does remain a maiden but he should be close at hand once more. (10) RICAHRDOFNEWSTEAD bled last time and got sent back to trial but he looked very good when completing that trial last week and may be more of a factor today. (7) STAR PLATINUM ran poorly last time but can be given another chance here while (9) DAEBAK HAENGJIN showed promise on his first try at this distance last time out and is another who can improve.
|Selections||(2) One In A Billion (3) Samryuk Eutteum (10) Richardofnewstead (9) Daebak Haengjin|
|Next Best||7, 4, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(6) SAKISAKI took nine goes to get her maiden win but she evidently enjoyed it as she’s proceeded to win three in a row. The horse she beat last time, Hennessy Prime, ran out a very good winner on Friday and Sakisaki could well make it four in a row here. Not many horses do that though and this won’t be easy. (5) YONGWANGDAM is two starts into a comeback following five months off and has gone well at this trip in tougher company than this. (8) ARAM NARAE is up in class having run out a five-length winner at this distance three weeks ago and looks dangerous here. (10) ALPHA RUNNER too is up in class following two wins in four starts. He’s up in distance too and perhaps has a bit to find but should be there or thereabouts. (9) VEGA KHAN best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Sakisaki (5) Youngwangdam (8) Aram Narae (10) Alpha Runner|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(1) ROAD KING is a prolific second-place getter and has finished runner-up in five of his last eight starts, including both his latest two at class and distance. From the inside gate today, he will be on or close to the early pace and could go one better here. If he falls short again, (10) SPEED IS KHAN could be the one to take advantage. He beat Road King back in July at class 4 and since then has run in two good 2nd place finishes of his own at this level. He is another one who likes to race prominently – which isn’t easy from his gate given the short run to the first turn – and if he can get a good position, he can win. (2) MY VISION and (6) ROYAL PARK both come in with recent form reading reasonably positively and can get close while (5) TEUKBYEOL STAR steps back up in trip for the first time in a while and might be worth an outside chance on a place.
|Selections||(10) Speed Is Khan (1) Road King (6) Royal Park (5) Teukbyeol Star|
|Next Best||2, 9, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10, 11|
Busan Race 5: Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup (KOR G2) (2000M) Allowance / KRW 500 Million
- JEULGEOUN HAMSEONG – She’s a consistent money winner at class 3 level in Seoul but this looks a big ask for her. Last ran 4th of 10 over 1800M in August so returns for the first time in over two months. Outsider.
- JEJUI HANEUL – On her only previous visit to Busan, she won the 2017 Oaks. She’s only won once since then but three of her latest four outings have been in Group or Listed races and she’s acquitted herself well in all of the, 5th behind Seouri Byeol in the Jeju Governor’s Cup last time. Can be in the placing frame again.
- CATCH NINE – Was a bit ordinary in the Oaks but bounced back to win consecutive races at a mile and 1400M in August. Distance a slight concern but should be on pace from the start and could be involved.
- SKY BAY – Didn’t run badly on her first go at class 1 three weeks ago finishing 5th of 12. It was also her first try at two turns so hopefully she has learned a bit. Steps up even further today and will need to improve but looks a progressive type. She could do it.
- DAMYANG HWANHO – Ran a good 2nd in the Ttukseom Cup followed by 4th in the KNN Cup so a win here would give her a chance of taking the series. She struggled on her latest start though, weakening to last over 2200M at the end of September. A furlong less should help today.
- BLACK SAPPHIRE – “Full” sister to the great Triple Nine, she’s a decent racehorse herself. Her 2nd place over 1800M on a fast track last start was good but her 4th over 2000M behind three really good types may have been better. Outside chance.
- HELLO VENUS – 5th in this race last year bus she hasn’t gone well in the two legs so far this time around. Better draw today and if she gets forward early she could be in with a shout of the places.
- CHEONGSU YEOGEOL – Winner of the Ttukseom Cup and 2nd in the KNN Cup, she looks set to become overall winner of the series. However, she’s in unchartered territory here having never run further than a mile. First start since August so plenty of doubts about her but if she gets the trip, she has a very good chance.
- GOLD BLUE – A genuine class 1 mare, ran 3rd in the Ttukseom Cup and 5th in the KNN Cup and is capable of running the kind of times necessary to win this. She won’t be among the top line of favourites and could offer some value. She’ll go right back and close strongly.
- ARCH NARAE – Yet to win at higher than class 5, she looks to be one with potential, but this may be a bit too much too soon.
- SWEET ROCK – A stablemate of Sky Bay, she had gone cold but her form picked up last time when she ran a useful 2nd over 1700M on October 6th at class 3. This is much tougher though.
- SEOURI BYEOL – 3rd in the Korean Oaks before winning the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup over 1800M at Seoul in September. She then dropped to seven furlongs to run 3rd in the Jeju Governor’s Cup, beating Ice Marine and Jejui Haneul in the process. Strong closer, she has a chance.
- MAJUNGMUL – Makes her first start since July and while she looked decent in a Seoul trial a couple of weeks ago, this is a tough ask first up.
- ICE MARINE – She flew home in the KNN Cup, and made it up to 3rd place, just a head behind Cheongsu Yeogeol. She then went to the Jeju Governor’s Cup and ran 4th again arriving on the scene late. She’s up to 2000M for the first time today and it may suit. The one to beat.
- BLUE FLAG – Sister to President’s Cup and Grand Prix Stakes winner Gyeongbudaero, she was a class 3 winner at 1800M in August before making two trips to Seoul and running 4th n the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup but having a hard time in the Jeju Governor’s. She’s the only entrant from Busan’s top stable but she won’t be among the favourites.
Verdict: (14) ICE MARINE has come close to making a big win and today could finally be her day. Once more, she may need some luck in running but the distance may suit her, and she has every chance here. Ttukseom Cup winner (8) CHEONGSU YEOGEOL looks set to win this series and while she hasn’t raced since running 2nd in the KNN Cup in August, she could run out a winner again here. (6) BLACK SAPPHIRE’s recent form is solid while (4) SKY BAY has plenty of potential, should be on pace early and may go close. (12) SEOURI BYEOL is sure to be well backed and will be involved in the finish. (9) GOLD BLUE could be an interesting outsider.
|Selections||(14) Ice Marine (8) Cheongsu Yeogeol (6) Black Sapphire (4) Sky Bay|
|Next Best||9, 12, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 15|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) LUCKY ROOKIE ran out a five-length winner at class and distance last time out and while he’s carrying an additional 5kg today the colt, who is now in the care of Italian trainer Luigi Riccardi, has every chance of a repeat and is the one to beat. (1) ACE CANT steps back in trip after a good 2nd place over 1700M last time out. He won well at 1200M in the summer and can be dangerous here. (9) SARYEONI WIN’s recent form has been good and he ran a decent 2nd to Jumeok Dokki at class and distance last time. (2) WINNER SPIRIT and (7) FIORE, the latter up in class following a sharp win at this distance in early September, are others who could be in the hunt for places.
|Selections||(4) Lucky Rookie (1) Ace Cant (9) Saryeoni Win (7) Fiore|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
A small but competitive field to finish with on the South Coast. A winner of five from ten so far, (1) CHODONG SKY beat three of these on his way to victory at class and distance on October 14th. He carries an additional 3.5kg today but has enough talent to suggest he’ll be a strong contender again. Among the ones he beat that day, (4) CHOEGANG FORCE ONE came home 3rd and looks to have the best chance of overturning the form here – he was a strong class and distance winner in September. A greater danger though may be (3) DYNAMIC STAR. He enters having had nine weeks off after running 3rd in a really good race over 1400M in early September. It’s his first time back at this trip since running 2nd (a well-beaten 2nd) to Ace Korea in May. He’s top rated for a reason. (2) JIGUKCHEONWANG and (7) BUGYEONG DAEBAK, the latter up in class and returning from five months off but looking very good in a recent trial, are others to look out for.
|Selections||(3) Dynamic Star (1) Chodong Sky (4) Choegang Force One (7) Bugyeong Daebak|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) SHANGHAI JORDAN steps up in class after recording his second win in four outings on October 6th. It was over 1000M, as all of his races have been so far, and if he overcomes the step up in trip, he has a good chance of scoring again. (5) CHAMBIT and (6) WOOSEORA ICHEON look to have the best chances of stopping him. Both come in after strong showings in their respective latest outings and Wooseroa Icheon especially is dangerous at this distance. (1) SKY DOLPUNG is inconsistent but can run well on his day and can be forgiven his latest outing at 1300M. (9) BEST BULLET is up in class after winning over 1000M on the last day of September. He didn’t race especially generously that day but still had enough about him to secure the victory and he could go well here too.
|Selections||(2) Shanghai Jordan (6) Wooseora Icheon (5) Chambit (9) Best Bullet|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(10) GAON CHAMP takes his chane at class 1 for the first time here. His only two defeats to date have been in Seoul’s Classic trial in March and the KRA Cup Mile (Triple Crown 1st leg) in April. His two victories since have been easy. The distance is a slight concern though. As 1400M appears to be on the upper limit of his capabilities at the moment but he is a genuine talent. He’s up against track record holder for the distance (5) SANGGAM MAMA but he labored under 58kg last time and will possibly have the same problem late on in this race, giving so much weight away to his rivals. That leaves (1) DIA SOCKS as the main danger and possible favourite. He comes in following three consecutive 3rd place finishes at distances varying from 1200M to 2300M and looks to only be getting better. (2) SAMSEONG BULPAE and (8) DYNAMIC JILJU are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Gaon Champ (1) Dia Socks (5) Sanggam Mama (2) Samseong Bulpae|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 10|