Eleven Saturday races at Seoul with the first at 10:45 and the last at 18:00. Moon Se Young is back from suspension! Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Just fillies to begin with and it isn’t a very strong race, even for class 6. (2) CITY ANGEL is favoured to make the breakthrough on what will be her sixth start. Her best performance to date came at this distance and was superior to anything any of the rest have achieved. Her latest two have been encouraging and she should lead all the way. Encouraging too last time was (11) ENJOY MY SHOW, who improved to a decent 2nd. It was a slow race on an admittedly slow track, but she had shown signs of getting better leading up to it and Moon Se Young rides for the first time today. She’s clear second-favourite. (12) JOEUN NADEURI has a 3rd place to her name back in December – actually beating Enjoy My Show in the process – so she can’t be completely ruled out wither. As for the rest, we’re scraping around a little with possibly (3) MJ JILJU and (10) NEW FAMILY having the most potential to improve.
|Selections||(2) City Angel (11) Enjoy My Show (12) Joeun Nadeuri (3) MJ Jilju|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The second heat of the all-fillies contest isn’t really any stronger than the first but is perhaps a touch trickier. We’ll go with (6) BODEURAM, who didn’t go well at all when stepped up to 1300M a month ago but had previously shown a good but of promise at this distance and dropped back down today, she should go much better. (12) SEOUL STORY has hinted at ability with 3rd place at this trip back in January being her best to date. She has to overcome being drawn in the car-park but can get close. (10) FIORE is the only one among them to have previously recorded a 2nd place finish. That was all the way back in August at 1300M and she hasn’t raced at all since October. She trialled up two weeks ago in reasonably competent fashion and given the company, goes straight back into contention. (8) SINUITAB and (9) FLYING HERA are others who could come into play.
|Selections||(6) Bodeuram (12) Seoul Story (10) Fiore (8) Sinuitab|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) ARES THUNDER and (9) NAEGA KKEUTPANWANG came home 3rd and 4th respectively when racing each other over 1300M on February 10th. Naega Kkeutpanwang led that day and will likely look to do so again while Ares Thunder has a strong finish and they can be competing with each other for the top prize this time. (4) CHEONGDAM JEPAE was 4th of 12 on debut five weeks ago in a slow race at the minimum distance. It’s hard to judge how good or otherwise that performance was but it was encouraging enough to suggest she can push on here. (2) VALLEY MOON landed an improved 3rd – her best finish to date – at this distance last time and could repeat, while the less experienced (6) HWANGGEUM JUMEONI likewise was much better on what was just his second career start last time. That was all the way back in November though, so he comes in here off a sixteen-week layoff.
|Selections||(1) Ares Thunder (9) Naega Kkeutpanwang (4) Cheongdam Jepae (6) Hwanggeum Jumeoni|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Four of the twelve are up in class for the very first time and they include (4) TRIPLE HAPPY, an eye-catching six-length winner on debut back in January. He is also up in distance and does return after nine-weeks off but he’s in with a chance. Returning from even longer out is (7) SUPER FLY. He’s shown plenty of potential in Spring and Summer of last year culminating in a victory at this distance and after returning to training, he made all to win a trial just before the Lunar New Year break. Up in class too, he goes straight into contention. They run into a couple with good experience of this level though. Quality Road filly (12) SUN PLAZA may still be a maiden after eight attempts but her latest run in January, when 3rd in a very solid contest at this distance, gives cause for optimism. (9) SPECIAL LIGHT got his second runner-up finish at this class a month ago, running on strongly late on and should also be a factor here. (5) WELLBEING JOY and (1) JEJUI HEUKSEON best of the rest in a very competitive looking race.
|Selections||(12) Sun Plaza (4) Triple Happy (9) Special Light (7) Super Fly|
|Next Best||1, 5, 8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) MENI TURBO will likely start a prohibitive favourite and should really be winning this handicap for fillies and mares only. She was favourite in a very similar race last start and while she only managed 2nd, she did finish well clear of a couple of today’s rivals and should have too much this time. (7) BLACK WIND is up in class following a couple of very good showings at class 5 including a front-running win at this distance last time. She should be away quickly again today and can be competitive. (2) NEW HIGH TIME won two from nine up to last July before pulling up injured. She came back into training at the start of the year and looked sharp enough in a late-January trial to suggest she can go straight into consideration in races such as this. (9) AEMA BISANG and (12) ANYANG CHEETAH were the two who were down the track behind Meni Turbo last month but while they obviously have plenty to make up on the favourite, they should still be beating plenty of these.
|Selections||(1) Meni Turbo (7) Black Wind (2) New High Time (12) Anyang Cheetah|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 8|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Australian import (4) PRINCE MEMORY has been 2nd on both his two starts so far both times from the front at the Sepoy gelding is favoured to make it third-time lucky today. He’s well drawn to get a good start again and should make no mistake this time. (7) YEOKDAE CHEOGANG did well across eight outings up to June of last year. He finally returns today after thirty-even weeks on the side-lines. We’ve only his work and a December trial to go on but this is a nice race to return in and he should be competitive. Malibu Moon colt (8) MALLIJIMA debuts here having gone through a couple of trials looking as if he knows what he’s doing, and he could go close first-up too. (1) KAIZEN FORCE and (11) BIG GARLAND are others potentially in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Prince Memory (7) Yeokdae Cheogang (8) Mallijima (11) Big Garland|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 12|
Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A four-length winner on debut, (1) MUNHAK PRINCESS returns form a couple of months off to step up in class and distance today and the Wilburn filly should have too much for this small field, likely leading gate to wire. (4) YEOKJEONUI USEUNG, stepping back in trip following a difficult spin around 1400M last time, probably has the best chance of challenging the favourite although (5) TAP FASHIONED and (8) BARAM SOGEURO have also proven themselves capable performers. The wildcard is (2) IRURIRA, who returns to action for the first time in more than a year. He departed the scene a winner all the way back in January 2017 after just four starts and he trialled nicely enough a couple of weeks ago.
|Selections||(1) Munhak Princess (4) Yeokjeonui Useung (5) Tap Fashioned (8) Baram Sogeuro|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5|
Race 8: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) SIN DOLGYEOK struggled to find a good position from a wide-draw at class and distance two weeks ago but he’s a proven money winner at this class and with a much better gate today, Luigi Riccardi’s gelding can get forward early and can win this. (3) DIDORPHIN and (7) JINGYEOGUI CHEONMA provided the somewhat surprising 1-2 at the distance in January. For the latter, normal service was resumed on re-appearance a month ago but Didorphin hasn’t raced since and could be a factor here. (9) PRIMA QUEEN comes in following a 3rd and two 4th place finishes and can go close once more while (10) GLOBAL DREAM steps back in trip after recent efforts at 1700M and can finish strongly. (6) KEUNBADA looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Sin Dolgyeok (10) Global Dream (3) Didorphin (9) Prima Queen|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 9|
Race 9: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) K.N. BLUE was favourite for his first spin around 1700M on January 28th and while he ended up in 3rd, a full six-lengths behind the winner, he showed enough to suggest he can get it right this time. He settled in midfield that day, but this time surely goes forward and wins. (8) SPECIAL STONE stepped up to this distance on what was just his third career start last month. He made all the running to win by a cool six-lengths on a slow track and while he is up in class here, he will be the main danger. (9) AJU PAEWANG’s recent form reads well at this distance and he should go close as should (12) MIGHTY WA, 5th behind Aju Daewang last time and with every chance of improving today. (4) SAEROUNSIN has outperformed his odds by some margin in each of his last three and could make the minor money again.
|Selections||(5) K.N. Blue (8) Special Stone (9) Aju Paewang (12) Mighty Wa|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 8|
Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) STORMY was a class 5 winner at this distance back in January and finished a creditable 4th over the same distance on his first try at this level on February 10th. He went forward early in both of those, but Park Tae Jong may be tempted to take a sit today, knowing his colt has a good finish. (1) DEVIL MAN enters after a solid 3rd last time and is in the frame while. In that race, (5) SKY CITY was 6th but was less than half a length behind in a close finish and can go closer today. (6) SARYEONI WIN is similarly capable at the distance and shouldn’t be overlooked. (12) ALPHAWA OMEGA’s best work hasn’t come at this distance and his recent form has been up and down but on his day, he goes well.
|Selections||(9) Stormy (1) Devil Man (5) Sky City (6) Saryeoni Win|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||10, 12|
Race 11: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Small but competitive field to finish with. (9) EAST GULCH remains a maiden having finished in 3rd place in all three of his starts so far. All of them have been at 1000M so he is up in trip for the first time too and resumes for the first time since December. Johan Victoire is up for the first time and he can win. The main danger is (6) CHEONJAEILU. He too has plenty of near misses in his recent form but is well-proven at the class and looks very dangerous. (7) FIX TIME’s latest two have been underwhelming but he is a class and distance winner and should be on the early speed along with the up in class (8) NEORANEUN CHUKJE. (5) SERA KING is also in the hunt following a couple of promising runs in his latest two.
|Selections||(9) East Gulch (6) Cheonjaeilu (7) Fix Time (5) Sera King|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||7, 8|