After Saturday’s storms, it’s set to be a calmer day in Korea. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 while at Busan there 6 races from 12:40 to 17:05. Only Seoul is being simulcasted overseas today:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Twelve maiden fillies kick things off for us today and (12) FOREVER WINNER debuted creditably in a decent race six weeks ago, should have come on for the experience and can overcome the outside gate here to breakthrough. Her main rival is also drawn wide. That’s (11) SIMPLE RULES, who’s come home in 3rd place in both of his two outings so far and will look to get right on the early speed from the start So will (6) SAE DIXIE, an improved 2nd at the end of October albeit in possibly slightly weaker company. (5) RAISE ME UP and (7) FIRST QUEEN are two others who have shown some ability so far and can be considered.
|Selections||(12) Forever Winner (11) Simple Rules (6) Sae Dixie (5) Raise Me Up|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) MUSA didn’t exactly pull up any trees on debut back in September – in fact he was so naughty, he was handed a two-month ban for his racing manners and forced to trial up twice. He blitzed through those trials on consecutive October Fridays in such a manner that he’s going to be favourite to win on his return today. Only four of the other have raced before with (1) KING POSE looking the best of them although improvement will be expected today from (2) RAON DOLPUNG. That leaves us with seven first-time starts among whom (4) POP STREET and (8) LIVINGSTONE caught the eye in trials.
|Selections||(3) Musa (1) King Pose (4) Pop Street (8) Livingstone|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 10|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) JUNGDONG JIJON beat (2) WILD DRAGON as the pair finished 3rd and 4th over this distance on October 26th. The margin between them was a length and both look to be on an upward trajectory. Wild Dragon will be on the early speed here while Jungdong Jijon will likely truck in just behind. (12) JUMEOK DOKKI was a slightly disappointing 4th on his first try at this distance three weeks ago but should get another chance here. Likewise (11) JIGONG JEIL returns after eight weeks out and the extra half furlong today may well suit. He was beaten last time by (7) STRONG CAPTAIN and while that one went on to race poorly behind Jumeok Dokki earlier this month, a challenge for the minor money can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(2) Wild Dragon (12) Jumeok Dokki (1) Jungdong Jijon (11) Jigong Jeil|
|Next Best||7, 5, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) FIRE WIND enters having finished a really good 5th in the Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup at the end of October and despite coming up against older fillies here, has to be the pick. She’ll be on pace early and can go all the way. Back in September, Fire Wind beat (12) SEUNGJAUI MISO, the latter finishing 4th that day on what was her debut. She returned a good winner at 1000M last month, is up in class here and is in the frame. Also up in class, though still a maiden, is (1) ALL OF ME. She’s been 2nd to good winners in both starts so far and gets the services of the champion jockey today. Those are the three juveniles in the field but a couple of the older ones are dangers too. (8) DURGA is a consistent money winner – if not actual winner – and enters off a best finish 2nd in a very similar race to this last month. The wildcard is (11) UBIQUITOUS. She showed plenty of ability last year and early this, but has been out since February. Her trial last week was solid though and she may be considered.
|Selections||(3) Fire Wind (1) All Of Me (8) Durga (12) Seungjaui Miso|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 11|
Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
There’s some nice potential among this group of imported juveniles, with all but three having raced at least once and most of them having shown some promise. In terms of horses faced so far, (3) CLEAN UP BOARD comes out on top. He’s been 2nd and 3rd in his two outings so far, clearly likes the distance and looks the one to beat. (9) MEGALIOS and (11) TOSCONOVA CAT have both finished behind Clean Up Board once already but both look to have ability and can get close today. (1) TAP FASHIONED was also well back behind Clean Up Board on debut but he came back out at the end of October to comfortably win over 1000M and will be in the frame here. (6) RAON PORTEOUS was a similarly comfortable winner on debut six weeks ago and he too may be considered here.
|Selections||(3) Clean Up Board (1) Tap Fashioned (9) Megalios (11) Tosconova Cat|
|Next Best||6, 4, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) SPEED CHEONGNYONG was a close 3rd in a good race over 1200M at the end of last month and while this is a big step up in trip today, his style of running so far suggests that it could be ideal for him. He’ll be favourite. One who the trip definitely suits is (1) SKY CITY. She got her maiden win on her first try at 1700M and while up in class, will surely be competitive again. (7) SZERENCSE did exactly the same on what for him was a return from five months out and he too is up in class. (6) EORIN WANGJA is yet to win but went well in a similar race at the distance last start while (12) BULHUUI MYEONGGOG, with three 2nds and three 3rds among nine efforts to date, can find at least the places again.
|Selections||(5) Speed Cheongnyong (1) Sky City (12) Bulhuui Myeonggog (6) Eorin Wanga|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 11|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race this but top pick is (10) HAWAII BOSS, who beat three of these on his way to a strong 2nd place at class and distance on October 29th. He came from well off the pace that day and almost got up and if he’s given a bit more of a chance here, he can win. (2) CHICAGO ART and (7) KYE RI came home 2nd and 3rd at the distance a month ago in what for Chicago Art was a really solid return from a five-month absence and he looks very nicely in here. (3) LION ROCK, full brother to Triple Nine, was one of the early stars on this year’s Triple Crown trail. He didn’t make it and races today for the first time since running last in the Korean Derby. He looked fit in trials and it’s a fresh start today. (4) BEONGAE LION and the up in class (5) LITTLE SOCIE are others to look out for.
|Selections||(10) Hawaii Boss (3) Lion Rock (2) Chicago Art (7) Kye Ri|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 9|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) NAMCHONUI QUEEN enters two for two but hasn’t been seen since July and is up in class here. Nevertheless, she showed enough to suggest that so long as she’s fit, she has every chance of winning this. (9) MOON ISLE KING enters following a 4th place in a stiffer test than this and can get close while. It isn’t a strong race so the up in class (1) SEVEN’S LUCKY shouldn’t find much intimidating here while (6) GEUM KAERA and (10) OUR CAT have every chance of improving on recent showings.
|Selections||(4) Namchonui Queen (9) Moon Isle King (1) Seven’s Lucky (6) Geum Kaera|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 9|
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) KING’S WARRIOR was a five-length winner at class and distance on October 29th and while he does carry an extra 4.5kg today, he could well have enough in him to repeat. (2) GOLD HORAH beat both (3) CHEONGSANGUI BYEOL and (5) GRAY SOCKS in the process of running 2nd over 1200M on October 21st. The same again is certainly possible although Gray Socks was a touch disappointing that day, failing to get on the early speed from a slightly wider than she has today and she may well improve. (4) GOLDEN STEP was sent back to two trials after his latest start more than three months ago. He romped both of those trials and can be considered first up here. The wildcard is (11) GIO STAR. He last raced on Christmas Day last year and showed plenty of talent too. He got a bad injury after that but looked well in a trial earlier this month.
|Selections||(7) King’s Warrior (4) Golden Step (5) Gray Socks (2) Gold Horah|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5|
Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
3rd at the distance in what was his first try at this level – and in an arguably tougher race than this – (7) WIDAEHAN JEONSA makes himself top pick to score here. He’ll be ridden patiently and can have too much for these in the closing stages. (3) CHAMPION KING is up in both class and distance and while this won’t be easy, he looks nicely in and is likely to look to set the early pace. Whether he stays the trip is the main question. (8) NANCHONUI GOHYANG’s latest couple have been in tougher contests than this but he has held his own – he beat three of these on his way to 4th place in the JRA Trophy race on international weekend back in September. One of those was (10) DAEIL SHINHWA, who bounced back to run 3rd at class and distance – likewise ahead of three of these – at the end of October. He is giving weight to his rivals here but shouldn’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(7) Widaehan Jeonsa (8) Nanchonui Gohyang (3) Champion King (10) Daeil Shinhwa|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5|
Race 11: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
(7) CHOEGANG SCHILLER overcame top weight to break the track record at class and distance on October 1st. This is a tougher race and he’s going to need something special if he is to repeat today but he is more than capable of doing it. That day he returned the favour on (1) BEST GUY, who beat him at the distance in July and also has claims to go well. (5) SANGGAM MAMA drops back in trip following a string of four straight wins at 1400M which saw him break that track record along the way. He’s one of a number who are capable of fast starts and if he gets the lead he can absolutely go all the way. (3) DAISYAN and (11) PARANG JUUIBO come in having run 2nd and 3rd in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup last month and will be in contention while (9) CHOEGANGJA showed signs of returning to form in that race and could continue his recovery here. The wildcard is (8) CHEONJI STORM. He returns to action for the first time since April and has plenty of talent.
|Selections||(7) Choegang Schiller (5) Sanggam Mama (11) Parang Juuibo (9) Choegangja|
|Next Best||1, 8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6 ,9|