We’re expecting sub-zero temperatures across the peninsula on Saturday but racing goes on! There are 12 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
He didn’t do much in his first couple of outings but (2) CAPTAIN POWER has come on nicely in two since, landing back to back 3rd place finishes, first at this distance and then at 1300M and he looks ready to get his first win today. (10) BIG AURORA was a much improved 2nd a month ago and looks to be a danger while (5) DUSON EYE’s latest two also give cause for optimism. (3) HWANGGEUM JUMEONI did nothing on debut but Kim Yong Geun staying on will lend him some supporters. (7) STORMY PASSION is the most experienced in the race – not necessarily a good thing at class 6 – and should be beating plenty.
|Selections||(2) Captain Power (10) Big Aurora (5) Duson Eye (7) Stormy Passion|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) ROYAL BOKSUNI and (7) KYU JEU ran 2nd and 3rd behind a very good winner at this distance on October 22nd. Three of the others who go here were well back behind them that day and while both are favoured here in this all-filly contest, it is Royal Boksuni who will be strong favourite to get her maiden win. Along with Kyu Jeu, (10) BAEKDU MIR looks most likely to challenge the favourite following a solid 2nd place last time out. (4) MINDEULRE CHUKJE and (5) DONGSEO GADEUK others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(1) Royal Boksuni (10) Baekdu Mir (7) Kyu Jeu (4) Mindeulre Chukje|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 9, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) LUCKY BONGHWA was beaten a good ten-lengths into 2nd by the promising Mask a month ago but has shown enough to suggest he should have too much for this field here. He’s got one place better in each of his four starts today and can complete the final step into the winner’s circle here. (4) KHENDUM POWER has also been getting closer to a win, leading until close to home last time before having to settle for 2nd and can do similar today. (6) FIRST RUNNER and (7) UPDATE likewise haven’t been too far away in recent efforts and can get close. (10) MORE RICH was beaten by First Runner on his latest start two months ago but isn’t totally without a chance of overturning that form here.
|Selections||(3) Lucky Bonghwa (4) Khendum Power (6) First Runner (10) More Rich|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juveniles only here with two first-timers joining seven who have raced before. (9) GRAY GALAXY beat (6) GEUMSUN YOU on what was the latter’s debut on October 21st. Both are in the frame here as is (4) WOOSEORA ICHEON, who race for the first time since beating Gray Galaxy when running 2nd on debut on September 2nd. (2) ORANGE SOCKS and (5) RAON MIRACLE were also encouraging in their respective debuts and could also be competitive in what is an interesting contest.
|Selections||(9) Gray Galaxy (6) Geumsun You (4) Wooseora Icheon (2) Orange Socks|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 9|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) SWEETLY HUMOR has got to grips with the level and his 2nd place on his latest outing – despite being favourite – is enough to suggest that she can make the breakthrough here. He’ll need a fast start but is well drawn to do that and he’s the one to beat. (8) GLOBAL BANK’s pair of 2nd places from his first two attempts have seen him promptly up in class. He’s shown a bit of speed though and both horses who have beaten him so far look promising types so he has nothing to fear at this level. (9) GIJEOGUI JEWANG was 5th of 12 on first try at this class a month ago and jockey booking catches the eye today while (11) YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN and the experienced (7) JEONGSANG DAEGIL also look in the hunt in a nicely competitive race.
|Selections||(10) Sweetly Humor (8) Global Bank (9) Gijeogui Jewang (11) Yeongwonhan Sungan|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Interesting match-up here between some up and coming imports as well and some proven locals. This time we’re siding with the imports as both (9) EAST GULCH and (10) WHIZ REINA made a positive impression on debut on October 14th. They raced together, finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively over this distance and either could improve here. (3) MENI TURBO has three 2nd places and a win from her four outings to date. That’s caused her to move through the levels quickly and she should be a threat today. (12) PERFECT BIC C comes in similarly up in class having won her latest two but may find things harder here. (2) MONE FLYING and (8) WAIKIKI also enter off encouraging performances and can go close.
|Selections||(10) Whiz Reina (3) Meni Turbo (9) East Gulch (2) Mone Flying|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) ELAN has been getting closer to a return to the winner’s circle and he can do it today. 3rd last time behind a couple of decent ones, this is his third attempt at this distance and he’s likely to be close to the speed throughout. (11) LAST JACKPOT and (5) GOLD SOCKS ran 3rd and 6th respectively when they raced each other at class and distance at the end of October. Both also have 2nd place finishes in their recent history at the distance and between them look to be the main dangers to the pick but (2) BIG SKY’s latest effort can be ignored and he is a class and distance winner and can go well. (8) SIMCHEONG SADAL, a solid 4th last start, can also be considered.
|Selections||(9) Elan (11) Last Jackpot (5) Gold Socks (2) Big Sky|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 12|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A couple of standouts here. (1) GEUMGOKSEONG has finished 2nd or 3rd in each of his latest five and will surely be involved again but the pick will be (8) NEON GAMDONGIYA. He comes in having been 2nd last start in a good, quick race at this distance, just beaten half a length by a decent winner and a similar performance should see him home on top today. (10) PEARL QUEEN is up in class today following consecutive 2nd place finishes and should have enough about her to be competitive at this level while (3) CHAMPION GLORY and (11) HENNESSY DANCER are others who warrant further inspection.
|Selections||(8) Neon Gamdongiya (1) Geumgokseong (11) Hennessy Dancer (10) Pearl Queen|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race this with a number in the hunt. Conveniently, five of them raced each other at class and distance on October 21st and they include all three of our top picks. That day, (3) SONGAM GANGJA was 2nd, ahead of (9) SARYEONI WIN in 4th and (8) YOUNG STORM in 5th. None of the three were fancied at all with all performing above expectations. Songam Gangja was close to the early pace throughout while the latter two finished off very quickly. We’ll go for Saryeoni Win to do it this time. (7) GOLD FASHION comes in after a pair of useful performances and may be considered with (11) GOLD SHEENA needing to be forgiven her last start but will have backing with Moon Se Young taking the ride today.
|Selections||(9) Saryeoni Win (3) Songam Gangja (8) Young Storm (11) Gold Sheena|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 2, 3, 11|
Race 10: Class 3 (1900M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(3) TOGETHER HUG has held her own in a couple of efforts at this class and like a number of others, steps up to this distance for the first time today. It could suit and with Johan Victoire taking the mount for the first time, she can win this. (8) HWANGGEUM BISANG is another who steps up in trip and could take to it while (12) MAJUNGMUL has done well at two turns in the past and recent form encourages. (2) CHUKACHUKA races for the first time in five months and looked sharp in a recent trial while (10) CYCLING HIT has beaten a few of these in recent outings and should do so again.
|Selections||(3) Together Hug (8) Hwanggeum Bisan (12) Majungmul (2) Chukachuka|
|Next Best||1, 10, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 12|
Race 11: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(9) SPECIAL RUNNER has two wins and a 2nd from his latest three and is the one to beat here. He was 3rd to (8) PENACOVA back in August but looks to have come on more since and while Penacova is still a threat, he should reverse that form. Those two are the top picks but (6) MY BLADE and (7) GOLDEN GATE are both solid talents, the latter narrowly beaten by Penacova last time as they raced 3rd and 5th in a tight contest. (1) FLYING CHAMP returned from over four months off with a comfortable win over 1200M on October 21st and steps up to this distance for the first time with claims to go well too.
|Selections||(9) Special Runner (8) Penacova (7) Golden Gate (6) My Blade|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5|
Race 12: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Just a nose separated (11) PRIME GOLD and (3) SCARLET WITCH when they came home 4th and 5th over 1400M on October 15th. That was an unexpected showing from Prime Gold and he can be respected here but back at 1200M today, Scarlet Witch should be overcoming the form. (2) DAEJANGBAK steps back in trip and should appreciate it while (10) BEST TEN is up in class following a win and a pair of 3rd place finishes at class 4 and can be competitive here too. (9) JINGYEONGUI GEOIN has plenty of experience at this level and while a win would be a surprise, he could aim to match the two 3rd places he has among his recent outings.
|Selections||(3) Scarlet Witch (2) Daejangbak (10) Best Ten (11) Prime Gold|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 12|