Seoul’s top Juvenile will be decided on Saturday afternoon as fourteen two-year-olds line up for the Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup. The winner will look to go on to emulate Final Boss by becoming overall Juvenile Champion at the Breeders’ Cup next month before heading to the Triple Crown trial in 2018. Full preview of that – and all of Saturday’s 12 races (10:45 to 18:00) are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Two first-time starters join ten who have each run just once before for the opener and as none of those ten particularly caught the eye on debut, we’re going to give a chance to (5) FUNKY TRAIN to score at the first time of asking. He trialled up well and there’s no reason why he can’t win this. The other debut-maker, (7) GANADORA is not without claims either while among the ones who have already raced, (3) DAE BYEONHWA, (8) BANGGEURI and (11) MERLIN look best.
|Selections||(5) Funky Train (11) Merlin (3) Dae Byeonhwa (7) Ganadora|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6, 12|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) K.N. BLUE has come close in two outings to date, including 2nd place last start over this distance and he looks hard to oppose here. (5) ÉCLAIR BEAUTY has taken part in three tough races so far and can be forgiven her latest effort. She looks second choice here with (3) BULSA BULPAE, (6) MAIN EVENT and the more experienced (10) WIND POWER others who have claims on getting into the places.
|Selections||(1) K.N. Blue (5) Éclair Beauty (3) Bulsa Bulpae (6) Main Event|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) ALL OF ME was a creditable 2nd on debut, four-lengths adrift of a good winner and she has strong claims to go one better here, likely leading from the start. Seven of the twelve race for the first time and it’s among those we encounter the main dangers. (2) PALDO DAEJANG looked very sharp winning a trial last month while (3) BIG EAR put in a very fast time in a competitive heat. Both have top jockeys on board and will be backed while similarly (10) RAON DOLPUNG should also go well first-up. Among the others with experience, (8) MAX THUNDER, the only one with two starts behind her, looks best.
|Selections||(5) All Of Me (3) Big Ear (2) Paldo Daejang (10) Raon Dolpung|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 10|
Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Tricky contest this especially with all but one of them racing at the distance for the first time. That one (5) FIRE didn’t go especially well at it but did improve in one start since and may be considered for the minor money. Favourites look to be (3) BEST MISSION and (12) NEULPUREUN CHEONHA. They were both 3rd in their latest efforts but it’s the latter that gets the not due to the slightly tougher company he raced in. (1) BEAUTIFUL ASIA actually beat Neulpureun Cheonha in August and can go close again while (4) UPDATE shouldn’t be too far away.
|Selections||(12) Neulpureun Cheonha (3) Best Mission (1) Beautiful Asia (4) Update|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 9|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A few in with a chance here and dropped back to 1000M today, (1) SWEETLY HUMOR has as good a chance as any of getting the job done. He’ll appreciate the draw much more today, can get on the early speed and can go all the way. The much more experienced (9) HWANSANGUI DOYAK enters in good touch having finished 3rd in a slightly stronger contest than this last time while (7) HONEY BAROWS should be given another chance despite a disappointing step up to this level last time. (2) CHAMBIT and (5) SOKBO TAEJA are others who could feature in this admittedly modest affair.
|Selections||(1) Sweetly Humor (9) Hwansangui Doyak (7) Honey Barows (5) Sokbo Taeja|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 10|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) SEUNGNI GIEOK was an eye-catching winner on debut over 1200M on August 20th, coming from off the pace to win by three lengths. It’s interesting to see him dropped back to 1000M for his return ten weeks later, but he still has every chance. Should the distance not suit, (4) RICHARDOFNEWSTEAD may take advantage. He was a solid 3rd on debut a month ago at 1200M, leading for much of the race and looks to have potential. (1) HAEKHANGGONGMOHAM should benefit from being back at the minimum trip today while (8) GOOD HENNY finally started to show some improvement last start. The experienced (10) GEUM KAERA won on his last outing at this trip and can be considered also.
|Selections||(11) Seungni Gieok (4) Richardofnewstead (1) Haekhanggongmoham (8) Good Henny|
|Next Best||10, 9, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8|
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Just imported juveniles here and (6) MEGALIOS beat (4) I.B.S. MARINE and (9) SOJUNGHAN SUNGAN as the trio finished 3rd, 4th and 5th on what was for all of them, their debut race on September 24th at this distance and all three are in with a chance of going better here with Megalios slightly favoured again. (12) CLEAN UP BOARD debuted a day earlier and also put in a creditable performance, 2nd – albeit eleven lengths behind a good winner – at this distance. There are five first-time starters and the most promising among them at this stage is (2) MONEY BLADE. He only cost $35K at OBS this June but looked competent trialling up last month.
|Selections||(6) Megalios (12) Clean Up Board (2) Money Blade (4) I.B.S. Marine|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9, 12|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Two standouts here in this filly (and one mare) only race with (7) DANGDANGHANYEOGEOL and (8) KKEULEOJUNEUN SON both entering in solid form. The former was a good 3rd at the distance last start while the latter steps up to 1300M for the first time in search of a maiden win that will surely not be too far away. Her last outing came in stiff juvenile test which should stand her in good stead here. Aside from those two, (4) ECTON SINHWA is a proven winner at this distance and can get close while (5) TITANIA and (11) STAR PERECT can both improve on recent runs.
|Selections||(8) Kkeuleojuneun Son (7) Dangdanghanyeogeol (4) Ecton Sinhwa (5) Titania|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Race 9: Class Open (1200M) Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup / Juvenile Allowance/ KRW 300 Million
- HOENG UN GOL – 2nd to Choinma in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup. Moon Se Young gets on another today and Hoeng Un Gol has a bit to find.
- FIRE WIND – 2nd to Global Line on debut and maiden win at this distance on September 16th. One of a number of front runners. Others favoured at this stage.
- MENI BADA – Two wins from four and top jockey on board. Won’t be favoured but not impossible.
- WONDERFUL JACKPOT – 3rd behind Choinma and Hoeng Un Gol in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup. Top class jockey on but will need to improve.
- THE QUEEN GRACE – Super debut making all for an eight-length win over 1000M on September 10th. Unexposed but has to enter calculations. Stablemate of Icheon Ssal.
- CHOINMA – Fine winner of Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup last month beating three of these. Plenty went right that day but he’s won three from four in total and has every chance here.
- OKAY QUEEN – Beaten by Hoeng Un Gol on debut but has won both outings since including a seven-length score over 1300M a month ago. In the hunt.
- EAGLE SKY – Maiden win came at the third time of asking in July and hasn’t raced since. Outsider.
- SINUI MYEONGRYEONG – Winner of three from four and made all to win a class 4 race on Octboer 1st by five lengths. Big chance today.
- DAE CAIN – Only two starts so far; 5th behind Icheon Ssal and Hoeng Un Gol in the wet back in August. No grounds for recommendation.
- RAON ALICE – Beat Fire Wind to win debut in late August and then 2nd on re-appearance over 1300M last month. Plenty needed to improve here.
- GLOBAL LINE – Two for two and almost broke the 1300M track record when winning by ten lengths on September 9th. Champion jockey on and the possible favourite.
- HAE HU – Two for two so far and smart six-length winner over 1300M a month ago. Draw doesn’t favour but he won from wide last time. Don’t rule out.
- ICHEON SSAL – A closer, he was favourite for the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup but has seen his stock fall after arriving far too late. Probably needs further but if the others go too quick too soon, he could surprise.
Verdict: Great contest this with loads of potential on show. (12) GLOBAL LINE will probably start favourite following his blitz over 1300M last month but (6) CHOINMA has to be respected following a very good win in the Gyeonggi Governors Cup. (9) SINUI MYEONGRYEONG is highest rated following an impressive class 4 win at the start of this month and has to be considered while the unexposed and unbeaten pair of (5) THE QUEEN GRACE and (13) HAE HU should also make things interesting. Then there is the closer (14) ICHEON SSAL poised to take advantage if the front-runners fade.
|Selections||(12) Global Line (6) Choinma (9) Sinui Myeongryeong (5) The Queen Grace|
|Next Best||14, 13, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 13|
Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) TEUKBYEOL STAR was 3rd in June’s Koran Oaks when longest shot on the board. She only beat one home in the final leg of the Triple Crown in July but has been 3rd in two starts since then both at this distance and with Moon Se Young taking over in the saddle today, she’s favoured to win. (2) CHUL AE was a class and distance 2nd last month and can get close again; in the same race (11) GWANGYA BULGIDUNG was 4th and she too can come into consideration. (1) JEONGAN KINGDOM and (9) IN BORN CHAMP are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Teukbyeol Star (2) Chul Ae (1) Jeongan Kingdom (11) Gwangya Bulgidung|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 11|
Race 11: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(3) DOLKONG skipped last week’s KRA Cup Classic in which Cheongdam Dokki and New Citadel ran 1st and 2nd. Dolkung joins those as the third of the three highly-rated imported three-year-olds and he will win this race, probably quite easily. If for whatever reason Dolkung isn’t right then (1) CHANMA and (9) HEUNGRYONG are probably best placed to take advantage while (4) THEME DEUNGGEUK is a decent type who can never be completely ruled out. However, more than likely they are racing for the places.
|Selections||(3) Dolkong (1) Chanma (9) Heungryong (4) Theme Deunggeuk|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9|
Race 12: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(3) KENTUCKY YEONIN beat five of these on his way to victory by a length over class and distance on September 30th and there’s little reason to suppose the outcome will be any different today. (10) LOST IN DRAMA was 2nd that day, (1) S ROSE 3rd and (4) CIN CIN JJAN 4th and they can get close again but all need to improve to beat the favourite. Among the ones that didn’t go in that race, (6) RAON ROUIS, an all the way winner over class and distance on September 24th looks the best.
|Selections||(3) Kentucky Yeonin (6) Raon Rouis (10) Lost In Drama (4) Cin Cin Jjan|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 10|