Two big Juvenile races take centre-stage Sunday, with both Seoul & Busan staging preps for the Breeders’ Cup Championship race. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 while at Busan there are 6 from 12:40 to 17:05.
Busan’s race is the Gold Circle Trophy and has attracted nine runners. Bart Rice’s unbeaten Task Force looks in with a shout although Kim Young Kwan’s Classic Match is likely to begin as favourite. In Seoul it’s the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup and Icheon Ssal is set to be at the head of the market. Also at Seoul, the exciting Cheongdam Dokki goes in race 10. Here’s the race-by-race preview for Seoul:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
3rd on debut all the way back in June, (8) SKY CAMP finally returns to action today and looks to be the one to beat in the opening maiden. (2) CLEAN FLOWER beat (11) BLACK WIND as the pair ran 4th on 5th on what for both of them was their first time on August 26th. There was just a half-length between them and while they were several lengths behind the winner, both were encouraging enough to suggest they can improve. Already showing some improvement is (3) BABY STAR, 4th on her second outing after a lacklustre debut. (7) HESEDEU and (10) GOLDEN RUNNER others who look like having some potential.
|Selections||(8) Sky Camp (2) Clean Flower (3) Baby Star (11) Black Wind|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 10, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
There were seven months between (5) STAR SINBI’s debut and his reappearance but both efforts showed promise and having briefly led close to home over this distance on August 26th, he just got bested by a neck on the line. He is one of three standouts here and has every chance. (8) SHAR NAO was an improved 2nd over this distance three weeks ago and is in the hunt again while the front-running (1) HWANAE JANGSEONG could well get a soft early lead here and can go all the way. The winner should be one of those three but (10) JUNGDONG JIJON and (11) GOLD SEUTAK are not without claims either, at least of a place.
|Selections||(5) Star Sinbi (8) Shar Nao (1) Hwanae Jangseong (11) Gold Seutak|
|Next Best||10, 4|
Race 3: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) MUCH MONEY faded a little late on when stepped up to 1700M last month but was still not too far away and should be much happier dropped back in trip today. He may have a habit of finishing 2nd – five times in ten starts – but he is a slight favourite here, ahead of (10) GEUM BONGHWANG, who also steps back in trip today. (4) HUIMANG POINT consistently comes close and should do so again while (12) IN BORN CHAMP comes in following 2nd place at class and distance on August 27th and carries a very light weight under an apprentice jockey. (3) KING PLUCKY is another who had a hard time around two turns last start but should be better today.
|Selections||(5) Much Money (10) Geum Bonghwang (12) In Born Champ (4) Huimang Point|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 9|
Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Only two of these have raced before and neither of them (them being (2) FLYING CAR and (7) GAL PYOBEOM) impressed. That leaves us with ten debut-making imports to consider. (4) JEONGSANG BULPAE almost made it to the starting gate back in June but was scratched. He was forced to requalify as a result and he did that with aplomb three weeks ago, running a fast time. Accordingly, we’ll make him favourite here. (1) MYEONGGA JEWANG and (6) BULMYEORUI JEWANG also went well in their heats and can be backed while slightly less impressive but still showing they know what to do were (9) MEGALIOS and (10) NASCAUI TAEYANG.
|Selections||(4) Jeongsang Bulpae (6) Bulmyeorui Jewang (1) Myeongga Jewang (9) Megalios|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 10, 12|
Race 5: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) RAON MAGIC is five for five so far but his unbeaten record faces its greatest peril so far here. He returns to action following three months off and while if he gets to the front early, he has every chance of winning once more, this is his stiffest test. Under the same wide ownership umbrella comes perhaps the main danger, (1) RAON AMOS, who lost his way earlier this year but has returned to form in his latest two starts and surely has more wins in him. (4) CIRCLE DANCER enters having been a class and distance winner, beating three of these, on August 26th while (6) SUPER CHANCE had a bad day at the office last start but returns following eight weeks off and can return to form. The wildcard is (8) PRIMA QUEEN, who is three for three but hasn’t raced since April. She trialled up nicely enough two weeks ago and may come into consideration; watch the market with her.
|Selections||(3) Raon Magic (1) Raon Amos (4) Circle Dancer (6) Super Chance|
|Next Best||8, 7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5|
Race 6: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) GYEONGJU BULPAE flopped when odds-on favourite on August 13th. He doesn’t like to lead but from a promising position, offered nothing over 1400M. He steps back down to 1200M today and will be expected to go much better. (8) SWEET ROCK returned to the winner’s circle with an eye-catching six-length romp in an all-filly race over 1300M a month ago and is a leading contender here as is (1) JJARIT who comes in following back to back 2nd place finishes at class and distance – beaten by Gyeongju Bulpae in the first of those. (4) BEONGAE FIGHTER and (10) CHEONJAEILU are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) Gyeongju Bulpae (8) Sweet Rock (1) Jjarit (10) Cheonjaeilu|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 8|
Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive contest here and with half of the field racing around two turns for the first time, plenty of unknowns to consider. (9) ELAN disappointed when well backed over 1300M last time but he’d previously shown plenty of ability and should perhaps be given another chance today. He didn’t get away particularly well that day but should be on the early pace here and could go all the way. (8) SPECIAL BIG C is up in class as well as distance having got her maiden win last time by a nose over 1300M and she looks the type who can get better as the distances grow greater while the same could perhaps be said for (7) CHODONG RACE. He’s still to win but is up in class having run 2nd in consecutive races, beaten by two horses who look to have plenty of potential of their own. (10) LITTLE SOCIE improved last time and could do so again while (2) SPASTAR and (4) SEOUL TANK may also be considered for minor money.
|Selections||(9) Elan (7) Chodong Race (8) Special Big C (10) Little Socie|
|Next Best||2, 4, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) DAEWANGSIN was a shock winner over class and distance on August 26th under jockey Sebastiano Guerrieri, somehow finding a series of gaps in the closing stages. The odds are against a repeat. Instead, (2) TEUKBYEOL STAR seems the more likely. She is yet to win in thirteen attempts but has 3rd place in the Korean Oaks to her name and was a decent 3rd at class and distance last start. (1) SARYEONI HEALING was 5th behind Teukbyeol Star last time and he too can compete here while (9) SUSEONG CHAMP is up in class and distance following a good win over 1300M on August 27th. (5) BLACK POINT and (8) CHOWON BOLT are others requiring attention.
|Selections||(2) Teukbyeol Star (1) Saryeoni Healing (9) Suseong Champ (5) Black Point|
|Next Best||8, 3, 6|
|Fast Start||9, 10, 11|
Race 9: Class Open (1200M) Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup – Allowance / KRW 200 Million
Valuable race for juveniles and Johan Victoire pulled off a quite remarkable ride to guide (9) ICHEON SSAL to victory over five of these on a soaking wet track on August 20th. He looks a good colt and so long as he doesn’t leave himself too much to do, he can win again. Among the ones he beat that day, (7) KKEULEOJUNEUN SON and (8) ÉCLAIR BEAUTY and (10) HOENG UN GOL, who came home in 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively, look most likely to challenge again, however, it’s one who didn’t go that day who may emerge as the greatest danger. That’s (5) CHOINMA who has won two out of three so far and was a very good winner last time over 1300M.
|Selections||(9) Icheon Ssal (5) Choinma (7) Kkeulojuneun Son (8) Éclair Beauty|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 10|
Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(10) CHEONGDAM DOKKI is emerging into one of the top horses in Seoul and he should really make it three in a row here. He beat four of these last time when wining by five-lengths – it could have been fifteen lengths – over 2000M. He carries an extra 4kg today but he really should do it again. He’s not always the best behaved and if he contrives to get himself beaten then (2) SINJO DAEHYEOP is probably the second best horse in the field and can put up the stiffest resistance. (6) GAEULI JEONSEOL took a while to figure things out but comes in having won five on the bounce and takes on class 1 for the first time. He’s under a light weight and is an intriguing entry. (1) SOTONG SIDAE, (7) CLEAN UP CHEONHA and (8) UNBEATABLE are the others to look out for.
|Selections||(10) Cheongdam Dokki (2) Sinjo Daehyeop (6) Gaeuli Jeonseol (7) Clean Up Cheonha|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10|
Race 11: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Competitive race to finish the card with and the favourites have been drawn out wide. It really is about time that (12) SPIRIT OF HANSEN found his way into the winner’s circle. He’s won just the once but has five 2nd places to his name and is never far away. He looks very nicely in here if he can overcome gate 12. His rivals are wide too. (11) MENI MUSIC beat (10) RAON ROUIS as the pair ran 4th and 5th at class and distance on August 20th and they can be competitive today as can the 6th place horse (1) SPECIAL JOY. (9) IGWANGSASEOK has held his own in two starts at this level and is also in the frame.
|Selections||(12) Spirit Of Hansen (11) Meni Music (10) Raon Rouis (9) Igwangsaseok|
|Next Best||1, 3, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 10, 11, 12|