It’s an overcast but dry Saturday morning in Seoul. There are 12 races from 10L45 to 18:00:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
3rd on debut on August 12th, (2) PALDO DAERO returns to action here with a good draw and excellent chance of making the breakthrough. He should be on the early speed with (3) SHARP KAYLAN, a little less impressive but still competent enough on his own debut three weeks ago. Sharp Kaylan finished 6th that day, one place behind (1) SPECIAL DREAM and that one too looks likely to make progress here under Antonio Da Silva. (5) BEST MAID is a little more experienced and comes in following back to back 4th place finishes.
|Selections||(2) Paldo Daero (1) Special Dream (3) Sharp Kaylan (5) Best Maid|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Twelve unraced two-year-olds go round for the first time here and impressive trial winner (6) CALLIOPE is set to start the favourite. The gelding looked good when making all in his heat and if he brings anything like that to the track, he’ll be hard to beat. The only others that really stood out in trials are (7) MUSA and (11) ALL OF ME, both of whom were quick. Moon Se Young’s presence aboard (9) CHEONGDAM QUEENS is also likely to be of interest to some punters.
|Selections||(6) Calliope (7) Musa (11) All Of Me (9) Cheongdam Queens|
|Next Best||1, 3, 12|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(10) SISPUMA WINNER has come up short when well backed before but if it’s ever going to be his day, it’s today. His 2nd place last start when beaten five lengths over 1700M means that any type of placing today will result in him being put up in class and he’s more likely than not, to bow out of the bottom level a winner. The others will need an uptick in form to beat him. (8) JIGONG JILJU was 3rd in a similarly average contest last time and can repeat while (3) CHAMPION GOLD hasn’t done much in his latest couple but showed good promise in his first two. (5) HAPPY HONEY and (7) BEAUTIFUL ASIA others who could improve.
|Selections||(10) Sispuma Winner (7) Beautiful Asia (3) Champion Gold (8) Jigong Jilju|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Only four of these have raced at the distance before but handily for us, they all went in the same race on August 26th. (1) FIRST RUNNER came out the best of them that day, coming 3rd and there’s no reason why he can’t be the first runner home today, likely from on the early speed. (6) DONGSEO GADEUK was 5th that day, just under three lengths back and she could well prove to be the main danger here. The other two who went that day, (3) UJU BADA and (12) SOKBO ONGJU didn’t impress so we’ll look to the ones coming up in trip to find more challengers. (5) MORE RICH could help the champion jockey become exactly that having shown a few glimpses at 1300M with (2) KINGS BURY and (8) SMART CAMP best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) First Runner (5) More Rich (6) Dongseo Gadeuk (8) Smart Camp|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 12|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Two debut winners step up in class here to defend their unbeaten records. (5) YAHO STRONG CAT was quicker when winning on a wet track a month ago but (4) MALAKAS was perhaps the more impressive in his own first-time out a day earlier and we’ll side with Malakas to repeat here. (11) DEO MIREO BUCHEO remains a maiden after thirteen attempts but comes in here following a close 3rd and very close 2nd in his latest two and gets the services of Moon Se Young today. He has a chance. (1) WINNING WIN is another up in class following a first win last start and can be considered.
|Selections||(4) Malakas (11) Deo Mireo Bucheo (5) Yaho Strong Cat (1) Winning Win|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) MAMKKEOT DALYEO overcame lengthy odds to beat both (3) SKY BIG and (1) DONGTEUL TTAE on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on August 27th. He can go well again but Dongteul Ttae is favoured to overturn that form today. Top pick though is (5) RAON ALICE who ran on very nicely when winning on debut over 1000M four weeks ago and while up in both class and distance today, should be able to overcome both and lead all the way. (2) CHEONHA JEWANG has been encouraging of late and should be back in the hunt today.
|Selections||(5) Raon Alice (1) Dongteul Ttae (8) Mamkkeot Dalyeo (2) Cheonha Jewang|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) JEULGEOUN HAMSEONG comes in having been a very close 3rd on her first attempt at this class on August 27th. Her first win came at this distance and she can repeat here in this all-filly race. Main danger looks to be the up in class (3) OKAY QUEEN, a solid winner on her second career start last month who tries the distance for the first time and is likely to compete to get on the early speed. Emerging from the other end of the barrier will be (11) DAESEONG RUBY who comes in off the back of consecutive 4th places in decent company at this distance and can build on them here. (7) CLASS SHOT and (10) FIRSTIGE both struggled last time but can be given another chance today.
|Selections||(2) Jeulgeoun Hamseong (3) Okay Queen (11) Daeseong Ruby (7) Class Shot|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Valuable race for imported juveniles and all twelve of them race for the very first time. Best looking in trials was Lee Shin Young’s Adios Charlie filly (11) SKY BAY, who put in a very quick time and will likely start as favourite. Other trial winners were (3) FANTASTIC COMBI, (12) FLYING BOSS and (7) CHEONGDAM TIGER, with the latter looking more likely first-up. Under the same ownership, (10) CHEONGDAM JEWANG also trialled up looking a proper racecourse and will have plenty of backers.
|Selections||(11) Sky Bay (7) Cheongdam Tiger (10) Cheongdam Jewang (3) Fantastic Combi|
|Next Best||2, 8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 7|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) SUPER CAPTAIN was a good winner at class and distance on August 20th. He carries an extra 4kg today but still has an excellent chance of repeating. A number are up in class following wins last time but it may be best to side with those who have already run well at this level. (1) GEUMGOKSEONG and (4) PHILLANIKE both come in having posted good 2nd places in decent company in their attest starts and can go close. Of those up in class here, (2) MONE FLYING is up voluntarily and looks potentially interesting while (8) BAIKAL JEONSA won well last time and can be competitive again.
|Selections||(9) Super Captain (1) Geumgokseong (4) Phillanike (8) Baikal Jeonsa|
|Next Best||2, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9, 10|
Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another competitive affair and (4) SONGAM GANGJA comes in having run a very good 2nd place over class and distance on August 27th in a similar race to this. He’s up in the weights today but very much in the frame, likely leading from the start. Joining him on the early place should be (2) SERA KING, who has plenty of placing experience at this level and should go well once more. (6) LONG WAY can be given another chance following a disappointing showing on latest outing while (8) HANYANGUI JILJU and (11) TIZ GLEE are still relatively unexposed and have scope for development here.
|Selections||(4) Songam Gangja (2) Sera King (8) Hanyangui Jilju (6) Long Way|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 11: Class 2 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(12) GEOMBIT GANGJA has won his last four, most recently the Sports Chosun Cup over 2000M. He’s had almost three months off since then but arrives here as favourite. (2) GEUMA ZEUS is up in both class and distance but looks very nicely in and could continue his progression here while (5) GANGSEONG DAEGUK was a good winner over 1400M last time and has shown ability around two turns as well. (11) PLACES TO GO is another with placing chances.
|Selections||(12) Geombit Gangja (2) Geuma Zeus (5) Gangseong Daeguk (11) Places To Go|
|Next Best||3, 4, 6|
Race 12: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(6) CHAMPION KING has come up short in his latest two, both times well backed, but is worth one more go here. Distance and draw suit and he’s the one to beat. Similarly (9) CONSERVATIVE has also been slightly disappointing in two outings at this level but looks nicely in here and should improve. Those two are favourites but expect good showings too from (1) SUPER START and (2) ÉCLAIR HUMOR.
|Selections||(6) Champion King (9) Conservative (2) Éclair Humor (1) Super Start|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 7|