It’s Korea Cup Eve! Head over to the official twitter (@KRAOfficial) for latest news and pictures. In the meantime, Saturday sees 12 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 featuring exchange races with Macao, Singapore, Hong Kong, Ireland and Japan. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Full field to kick things off with and (3) BLUE SHARK looks to be the pick. He was a much improved2nd at this distance on August 19th and can win from the front today. Joining him on the early speed will likely be the other two top contenders namely (2) SHARP RUBY and (7) STORMY PASSION, both of whom have acquitted themselves well in recent outings without really threatening to make a breakthrough. (1) DUAL CHEOGANG and (4) TOUGH TROPHY others with scope to go better.
|Selections||(3) Blue Shark (2) Sharp Ruby (7) Stormy Passion (4) Tough Trophy|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Only one of these has raced before and he’s almost certainly going to start as favourite. (8) P.K. TIME almost made all on debut on August 12th but got eventually taken down close to home. It was still a good performance and followed an impressive trial and unless there is some unearthed gem among the first-timers, he should really win this. Will a gem be unearthed? Unlikely but if there is then (in no particular order except numerical) (1) GEUMA THUNDER, (5) KWAEHAN YEBONGSAN and (7) PRIMO are perhaps most likely to be it.
|Selections||(8) P.K. Time (5) Kwaehan Yebongsan (7) Primo (1) Geuma Thunder|
|Fast Start||5, 8|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) GWACHEON TUHON has been getting closer and closer, culminating in a 2nd place over this distance last start and he is the top pick here. (4) NEULPUREUN CHEONHA has also shown progress and should get close under the champion jockey while (3) STORMY has offered a few glimpses over his three efforts so far to suggest that he may have more development in him. (2) ROYAL ACE and (6) SERA KHAN are likely to set the early pace and can also play a part.
|Selections||(7) Gwacheon Tuhon (4) Neulpureun Cheonha (6) Sera Khan (2) Royal Ace|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) GIMOA LAUNCH returned from five months off at the end of July and has recorded a 3rd and a 2nd in two starts since. He gets it right today, most likely leading all the way. The returning (6) SEOUL BOLT and the experienced (8) PERFECT BIC C look best placed to stop him although both (2) SSONSALGACHI and (4) YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN both have placing claims too.
|Selections||(1) Gimoa Launch (6) Seoul Bolt (8) Perfect Bic C (2) Ssonsalgachi|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 9|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A three-length winner over 1000M on debut, (5) GLOBAL LINE is up in both class and distance but has every chance of a repeat. Under Moon Se Young, he should get a good start and can lead all the way. (4) SUN SMART’s solitary victory so far came at this distance back in May. The emphatic manner of it encouraged connections to have a go at the Korean Oaks in Busan next and while that didn’t go well, she did ok over 1700M on her return to Seoul last month. This trip should suit better and she’s 2nd choice. (6) COMPLETE HIGH had excuses last time and can get closer today while (8) SPECIAL QUEEN can repeat the 3rd place she scored in a similar race two weeks ago.
|Selections||(5) Global Line (4) Sun Smart (8) Special Queen (6) Complete High|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6|
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) GEUMTUSA is up in class following a six-length demolition job over 1300M a month ago. It was his first win but it had been coming and while he may not find it quite as easy to get on the early speed here, he has solid claims. (6) SENTA POBA was out for eight months but has looked in excellent touch in three starts since returning in June. He comes in having beaten (3) SO ARA CHEONJI on his way to 2nd place in a decent race at class and distance on August 12th and could well go one better today. So Ara Cheonji has claims on a place too as does (4) ROAD KING and the Teruya Yoshida-owned (1) PEACEFUL LIFE.
|Selections||(7) Geumtusa (6) Senta Poba (1) Peaceful Life (4) Road King|
|Next Best||3, 8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Race 7: Class Open (1200M) MJC Trophy / Allowance / KRW 100 Million
Nice chance for fillies & mares at class 3 or lower to compete for a decent prize and there’s plenty in with a shout of claiming it. Loudest of those shouts probably goes to (1) CUPID LADY. She won three of her first four and has come close in all three since. There’s plenty of early speed here but she can sit handy and come through strong late on. (4) MEGA HIT was been no worse than 2nd in three outings so far; she’s another who will let others lead and look to pick them off in the closing stages. On pace we can expect to find (2) SCARLET WITCH, who has won her last two and (5) GRAY SOCKS, who has a win and a 2nd in two outings since returning from a lengthy spell. Both have claims here. (9) KKUMUI SILHYEON and (11) SEOUL QUEEN also come in off the back of wins and (12) GEUMSOWHA after creditable showings in stiff company in her latest two and both will be expecting to find the money in a really competitive race.
|Selections||(1) Cupid Lady (12) Geumsowha (5) Gray Socks (4) Mega Hit|
|Next Best||2, 9, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 7, 13|
Race 8: Class Open (1400M) HRI Trophy / Allowance / KRW 100 Million
(10) GUTONGSA comes in off a hat-trick of victories, smashing the track record for 1300M along the way. He looks quite a talent and can continue his excellent run here. He doesn’t lead and outside gates are no problem for him. He should win and win well. If he’s not on his game there is a chance that (4) CUPID FLOWER, who finished five lengths adrift of Gutongsa in 2nd place last time, could get closer today although (2) SINGGEUREOUN GEOM, who comes in on a two-race winning streak of his own, could prove to be the bigger danger. (3) CHEONG UN SIDAE and (5) GOLDEN GATE among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Gutongsa (2) Singgeureoun Geom (5) Golden Gate (4) Cupid Flower|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 6|
Race 9: Class Open (1400M) Singapore Turf Club Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
Fillies & mares here and it’s hard to look too far past (2) ACE SPINNING, a really good looking four-length winner at this distance on July 30th. She’s won 7 of 13 so far and she’ll likely set up camp just behind the early lead here and beat them in the straight. (4) GAENARI’s is much better than her latest form suggests – her last two have been Queens’ our Group race sand the competition here is less stiff. (5) MIGHTY GEM scored a terrific 2nd place in the latest of those Queens’ Tour races at Busan in July and can go well again for a progressive stable while (1) BICHUI JEONGSANG may have been some way off her best recently but can still be competitive.
|Selections||(2) Ace Spinning (5) Mighty Gem (4) Gaenari (1) Bichui Jeongsang|
|Fast Start||4, 7|
Race 10: Class Open (1800M) JRA Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
Essentially a class 2 race, it’s one of the most competitive of the day. The nod goes to (3) KILIUI YEOWANG. The US bred daughter of Adios Charlie suffered her first defeat last time but showed sufficient ability over 1700M to suggest that she can progress from that and she looks like being a main stay at class 1 in future. (13) SUPER COMMANDO was one of the three that finished ahead of Kiliui Yeowang in that 1700M race last time and he’s sure to be a danger again while (8) PENACOVA comes in off a useful win at that distance on August 12th. (7) DIA SOCKS and (11) CHEONGDAM BULPAE among a number of others who should have designs on at least a place.
|Selections||(3) Kiliui Yeowang (13) Super Commando (8) Penacova (7) Dia Socks|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10, 11|
Race 11: Class Open (2000M) Hong Kong Jockey Club Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
(2) NEW CITADEL is touted as one of the stars of the future and there were those who felt he could have made an impression on this weekend’s Korea Cup. Instead he competes for a big prize here. He’s won his last four with considerable ease and while this is his first try at 2000M, it’s hard to imagine him getting beaten. (7) CHANMA and (6) SAMBONG were behind New Citadel last time and can compete for places today although the biggest danger should be another up and comer in the shape of (10) DOLKONG. He hasn’t raced since June when he beat Cheongdam Dokki, who has gone on to win two since with considerable ease. (1) JANGSAN COWBOY generally goes close in races like this too.
|Selections||(2) New Citadel (10) Dolkong (1) Jangsan Cowboy (7) Chanma|
|Fast Start||3, 4|
Race 12: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It’s about time that (4) CAPTAIN PARK got his maiden win. He’s not been too far away in his latest two and with Djordje Perovic in the saddle today, he can get the job done. Similarly winless but similarly close of late is (3) KYE RI while (9) SUN CREST and (10) HAPJAKPUM also look to be in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Captain Park (3) Kye Ri (9) Sun Crest (10) Hapjakpum|
|Next Best||6, 5|