It’s Friday! It’s Busan! 10 races on the South Coast from 14:30 to 21:00. English racecards are here, notes on races for overseas simulcast are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. GAMUNUI YEOWANG – 10th on debut behind Black Fine.2. BOUND TODAY – Solitary star was in November last year. Trialled up averagely.
3. S PARIS – Offered little in three goes last year. First start in nine months. Looked ok in trials.
4. CHEONJI RHYTHM – Slow in both outings to date.
5. HANEOLUI GISANG – First timer. Not quick in trial but knew what to do. Top stable.
6. ROYAL RIVER – Debut-maker. Trial wasn’t quick but did enough.
7. NEULPUREUN DRAGON – Only beat a couple home on debut.
8. MIO – Faded on debut over 1300M. Should much better at the minimum today.
9. SEOGANG JILJU – First start today. Trialled up behind Pocket Rocket.
10. POCKET ROCKET – Debut-maker who looked competent in trial.
11. BLACK FINE – 7th and 5th in two stars to date. Drops to 1000M for the first time and surely has a good chance.
12. GIPPEUM SARANG – 7th on debut in decent time and will be backed here.
Verdict: Competitive race to start with and not a huge amount of solid form to go on. (11) BLACK FINE and (12) GIPPEUM SARANG have perhaps shown most so far and will be well supported although (8) MIO looks set for improvement, being tried at the minimum for the first time. Among the debut makers, (10) POCKET ROCKET looks best at this stage.
|Selections||(8) Mio (11) Black Fine (12) Gippeum Sarang (10) Pocket Rocket|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10, 12|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 55 Million
1. BAENGNYEON SIDAE – 6th on debut behind Gyeongjuui Durebak. Showed enough to suggest improvement is possible.
2. ACE FORCE – 3rd of 7 on debut and should look for similar here.
3. CAPTAIN FORCE – First-timer who won a trial. Half-brother to Korean Oaks winner and from a top stable so will be well backed.
4. GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK – 3rd on debut ahead of Baengnyeon Sidae. Rise in trip should suit and she has a chance.
5. CHERRY BLOSSOM – Debut-maker who won her trial. It wasn’t quick but no reason why she can’t run well here.
6. CHOEGANG BULLET – Decent showing in trials and looks promising.
7. YEONGGWANGUIWINNER – Looked ok in a couple of trials. Not impossible.
8. MASTER WIN – Debut-maker. Won his trial. Top stable and jockey and must have a chance.
9. DAEHO MYEONGGA – 3rd in his trial. Other debut-makers look a bit further forward but no reason he can’t run well. Half-brother to Sotong Sidae.
Verdict: Just three of these have run before and we’ll go with (4) GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK, who beat (1) BAENGNYEON SIDAE on his way to 3rd place at the end of June to make his experience count here. (2) ACE FORCE was also 3rd on his debut last month and can go well once more. Plenty of intriguing debut-makers join them. Chief among them is (3) CAPTAIN FORCE, a half-brother to last year’s Oaks winner Ottug Ottugi, who looked good winning his trial, as indeed did (8) MASTER WIN. Both are from top stables and look good prospects.
|Selections||(4) Gyeongjuui Durebak (8) Master Win (3) Captain Force (2) Ace Force|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. ROYAL HEART – Not too far away in latest two, both at this distance and good chance today.
2. BRAMA CHANCE – 4th on debut over the distance on June 30th. Slightly better race today but can match.
3. SUPER MAGIC – Enters off back to back 4th place finishes. Ra on well both times and should be in the placing frame.
4. THUNDER ALLEY – First timer. Didn’t impress in trials but top trainer and jockey so watch the market.
5. PICHICHI – Usually not too far away but is a little one paced. Steps back from a mile today. Will beat a few but others will be quicker.
6. TONGHAP BULPAE – Much proved 2nd on what was his 4th outing last time beating New Happy Day. Claims for at least a place again.
7. NEW HAPPY DAY – A 3rd and two 4ths from her latest three but she has form she needs to overturn on both Mach Kaiserin and Tonghap Bulpae.
8. VIVA VICTORY – A 4th and two 3rds from three outings to date. Should be on speed early and can win. First run since May as she unseated her jockey in the barrier on June 16th.
9. MENI CHINJEOLHAN – Debut-maker. Watching brief first-up.
10. MACH KAISERIN – Inconsistent. Career best 2nd came at the start of June but then struggled in a better race at this distance last time.
11. HUIMANGUI NORAE – Not too far away in latest three but offered little evidence to suggest she can improve on the 4ths she scored.
12. MUST LADY – Must improve is she is to have a chance.
Verdict: If (8) VIVA VICTORY behaves herself today there’s no reason why she can’t make the breakthrough. She managed a couple of 3rd places behind decent types and should be the one to beat. In the race where Viva Victory dumped her jockey in the gate, (6) TONGHAP BULPAE went on to run 2nd and he will surely be one of the main threats. Others who should be involved include (1) ROYAL HEART and (2) BRAMA CHANCE.
|Selections||(8) Viva Victory (6) Tonghap Bulpae (1) Royal Heart (2) Brama Chance|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||8, 10|
Race 4: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. YEONGGWANGUIFACTOR – First-timer. Won his trial very handily and big chance first-up.
2. WONDERFUL SHOW – Went back to trial after struggling on debut in early June. Acquitted himself well against experienced racehorses in latter of two heats he went through since.
3. TWO TWO KINGS – US$20K Keeneland purchase. Average in trial.
4. THEHIMCHAN – Only beat a couple home on debut over 1300M but showed enough to suggest he can improve.
5. ACE KOREA – Won his trial and sure to be well backed.
6. JEWANGUI HUYE – First time starter who didn’t show an awful lot trialling.
7. BAENGMANBAEKDAP – US$50K from OBS this March and from top stable. Looked sharp in a second trial last week and has claims first-up.
Verdict: Only two of these have raced before and both (2) WONDERFUL SHOW and especially (4) THEHIMCHAN look to have improvement in them. Nevertheless, it’s the debut-makers who are likely to start as favourites. (1) YEONGGWANGUIFACTOR won a good trial at the end of June while (7) BAENGMUNBAEKDAP looked very capable when running 2nd in a swift trial with experienced horses just last week. (5) ACE KOREA too put in an eye-catching run when winning his trial two weeks ago.
|Selections||(7) Baengmunbaekdap (4) Thehimchan (1) Yeonggwanguifactor (5) Ace Korea|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. CAP WINNER – 4th behind Godae last time. A bit to find here.
2. GAME CHANGER – Up in class following maiden win on what was third start on May 26th. Eight weeks off since, will need to improve but should be on early speed.
3. JILJU DAEJANG – Just beaten a head at class and distance last start. Sent off at 40/1 that day but will be shorter here.
4. DAMYANG YEONGUNG – Up in class following maiden win at this distance on June 23rd. It had been coming too. Slow starter but strong finisher, he has a chance here too.
5. DONGNAM DAEBAK – Not too far away in latest too and should be in the placing frame here.
6. PERFECT HUMOR – Getting closer and closer to a second career win. 2nd behind a decent winner last start. Distance suits and a big chance.
7. SHINE STAR – First outing since last October. Trialled up very nicely behind a class 1 horse but this is a big ask first-up.
8. DREAM JILJU – Yet to win in eight attempts but has four 2nd place finishes. Bit disappointing last time when well backed but worth another chance here.
9. GODAE – Surprise 25/1 winner last time at class and distance beating Cap Winner. Must be respected.
10. I AM FIRST – First start since April. Trialled ok but others favoured.
11. AGNES – Races for the first time since February. Top stable but outsider here.
Verdict: (6) PERFECT HUMOR comes in off a run of very solid performances culminating in 2nd place to Captain Blade last start and has a good chance of getting it right here. It’s a really competitive race though and perennial runner-up (8) DREAM JILJU could also finally get it right. The up in class pair of (2) GAME CHANGER and (4) DAMYANG YEONGUNG look to have further scope for development too.
|Selections||(6) Perfect Humor (8) Dream Jilju (4) Damyang Yeongung (2) Game Changer|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 10, 11|
Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. STAR GOLD – Up in class following maiden win. First try at this distance and nicely weighted. Can go well.
2. SEORABEOL DOLPUNG – Gone a little cold in last couple of starts. Outsider here.
3. PANGPANG LEGEND – Holds a 3rd place at class and distance and comes in off 5th behind Godae over 1300M last month.
4. HWANHAN SESANG – Just beaten a neck at class and distance last start. 3rd behind Sonatilled the time before. Could be her day.
5. TEXAS RUBY – Beat Kirk Minister by a head as the pair ran 1st and 2nd over this distance last month. Up in class today and not impossible.
6. SONATILLED – Class and distance winner in June but struggled on reappearance three weeks ago.
7. NAMDO GEOSANG – Found things tough in two outings at this level since maiden win.
8. DAMYANG CHEONSA – 67th start today. Occasionally sneaks some minor money.
9. KIRK MINISTER – Followed 2nd to Texas Ruby with maiden win at the distance three weeks ago. Looks to have potential for more.
10. RISING KOREA – A win and two 2nd places from three outings so far. First try at the distance and could well make all.
11. GARAK GONGWON – 57th outing today. Strong finisher and sure to beat a few.
Verdict: (10) RISING KOREA has finished no worse than 2nd in her three starts so far and she can maintain that record here on what is her first try at a mile. Gate isn’t ideal as she’ll want to be at the front early but she can win again. (5) TEXAS RUBY and (9) KIRK MINISTER were inly separated by a head back in early June and both are up in class here with potential for further development while (4) HWANHAN SESANG came very close last time and must come into consideration.
|Selections||(10) Rising Korea (4) Hwanhan Sesang (9) Kirk Minister (5) Texas Ruby|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||9, 10|
Race 7: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. GEOCHIMEOPSI – Down in class today but that means top weight.
2. USEUNG CHOEGO – 4th behind Prize King in May. Plenty to find here.
3. DAEHO CHUKJE – 9th of 16 in the Korean Oaks last start but was looking ready to win in similar company to this in prior starts. The one to beat here.
4. GOLD GUST – Not impressed lately.
5. CAPE MAGIC –Comes in off two consecutive 5th places at this distance and 5th would be a par finish again.
6. PRIME RACE – Up in class having won two of his last three. First try at a mile too and it’s not impossible.
7. FLAMENCO – 3rd behind Prize King in May and 4th last time out. Placing chances.
8. CHASEDAE – Class 5 winner at a mile on June 11th but didn’t find things easy on first outing at this level.
9. FIRST SUN – Class 5 winner at the distance in May but disappointed when well backed on first attempt at this class last time.
10. SSI F STAR – Usually gives a good account of himself and can do so again.
11. PRIZE KING – Beat three of these on his way to victory in May and followed it up with 3rd place in very solid company last time. A chance.
12. USAIN NUT – Beaten by Prize King in both his latest two, he’ll be in the frame again and overturning the form isn’t impossible.
Verdict: (3) DAEHO CHUKJE found things tough in the Korean Oaks last month but has proven herself competitive at this distance already and back in this kind of company under a low weight, looks firmly in the frame. (11) PRIZE KING has already shown he has the beating of a number of these and can confirm it here – (12) USAIN NUT has come close to him in each of their last two races and the two should be doing battle once more. (6) PRIME RACE and (10) SSI F STAR look best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Daeho Chukje (11) Prize King (12) Usain Nut (6) Prime Race|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 11|