The long overdue rain has finally arrived on the Korean peninsula and it looks set to be a wet Sunday at both Seoul and Busan. Seoul has 11 races from 11:45 to 19:00 while at Busan there are 6 from 13:25 to 17:35. English racecards are here, notes on every race are below:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. HWANGGEUM SURE – Improved slightly on second start but still much to find.
2. GEUMEUN JUOK – 5th of 9 on debut over 1000M on May 27th and can improve here.
3. SPECIAL QUEEN – Two 3rd places among her last three. No reason why she can’t match or better that today.
4. JAKE – 5th last time was her first minor money finish. Would do well to match that today.
5. BOMBI’S KING – Gone off the rails a little since showing promise with a 3rd place finish on his second start back in January.
6. FOREST ROSE – Much improved 2nd last time out running on well. Steps back up to 1300M today and is in the frame.
7. WAWA YEOJANGBU – No worse than fifth in four outings to date. Comes in off a 2nd place over 1000M on May 20th. First try at further than the minimum today and has a chance.
8. SHARP RUBY – Best so far a 4th place. First try at further than the minimum distance.
9. CLASS SHOT – Not shown much in five outings to date.
Verdict: Competitive little race to open with and there are two standouts. (3) SPECIAL QUEEN gets the nod having been close a number of times in her nine outings so far, including at this distance. Even a 2nd place will have her up to class 5 next time so we’ll go with her to close out her time at this level with a win. That promotion applies to (7) WAWA YEOJANGBU too. She was 2nd at the distance in an all-filly race last start and is firmly in the frame here on her first try at further than 1000M. Neither of those two are noted as fast starters so (2) GEUMEUN JUOK and (4) JAKE could well set the pace early and stay on.
Selections (3) Special Queen (7) Wawa Yeojangbu (2) Geumeun Juok (4) Jake
Next Best 6, 5
Fast Start 2, 4, 5
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. BLUE NARAE – Not beaten many in six prior starts.
2. FINE CHAMP – Generally beats a few and could be on pace early but will need to improve to be in placing contention.
3. ELAN – 4th on debut over 1000M on June 3rd, running on nicely. Trip should suit and a big chance. Strong favourite.
4. SUPER TROOPER – 6th behind Elan last time. Never better than 4th in eighteen prior tries.
5. CITY CHAMP – Has a 2nd and 3rd to his name and showed a return to some form with a 5th last time at the distance.
6. SKY VALUE – Went back to trial after phenomenally slow effort last time. Much quicker in trial and fresh start today.
7. DALLYEORA PACHYAI – Debut-maker who’s been through a few trials. Watching brief first-up.
8. DAEHAN GANGSAN – Offered few clues in five starts to date but could improve here.
9. UN SEO – Managed a 3rd and a couple of 4ths and should be looking to at least match those in this company.
Verdict: (3) ELAN was 4th on debut on June 3rd and while it was a weak race, he did beat (4) SUPER TROOPER and showed enough to suggest he can win at this level. Super Trooper is one of those who can compete for the places but greater dangers are likely to be (9) UN SEO and especially (5) CITY CHAMP.
Selections (3) Elan (5) City Champ (9) Un Seo (4) Super Trooper
Next Best 2, 6
Fast Start 1, 2, 7, 9
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. CHOEGOYA CHOEGO – 2nd on no fewer than four occasions including last start at class and distance. May have to settle for 2nd again.
2. PHOENIX SUN – Winner on debut and then 2nd on first try at this level over 1300M on May 28th. Good prospect and favourite today.
3. DALLYEORA LEO – Offered little in seven starts to date. Seems to save her best for barrier trials.
4. PARTY TIME – 39th start today but still without a win. Not likely to change here but is capable of finding the minor money at this level.
5. SHADOW MONEY – 3rd at class and distance in April but two average showings since mean minor money the goal today.
6. JAYUROI – One of the first foreign bred horses to be dropped to class 5, it seemed to be of little benefit last start.
7. RAON KINGDOM –Manages a 2nd place at this level over 1200M in February but has been poor in three efforts since.
8. SERAJJANG – Got maiden win at fourth time of asking in April but was ordinary behind Yeolpung on first try at this class a month ago.
9. HI EUREKA – Not too far away in recent starts. Steps significantly back in trip today and looks a contender for the places.
10. LEAD UP – Maiden win in April and then 3rd on first try at this level in May. Slightly disappointing on latest, fading in closing stages but can be worth another chance.
11. YEOLPUNG – Recent form has been cold.
Verdict: (2) PHOENIX SUN won his debut and was 2nd on his first try at this class on May 28th. He looks to have good potential and should have far too much for this field, most likely leading from gate to wire. (1) CHOEGOYA CHOEGO was 2nd at class and distance last start and is clear next best while other contenders for places include (5) SHADOW MONEY and (10) LEAD UP.
Selections (2) Phoenix Sun (1) Choegoya Choego (10) Lead Up (5) Shadow Money
Next Best 7, 5
Fast Start 2, 4, 7, 10
Busan Race 1: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. EUNGNIBYEOSU – Solid 4th at class and distance last time and can repeat.
2. LUCKY NOVA – Winner over 1200M at the second time of asking, pretty much making all. Up in class and distance but favourite again.
3. NAMBANG JEONSEOL – Beaten by plenty of these in recent outings so plenty of form to overturn.
4. RISING DERBY – Up in class after his maiden win at the third time of asking on June 2nd. A bit to find but not impossible.
5. MAKGANG JILJU – 5th behind Dream Jilju last time was an improvement on recent efforts. Could sneak into a similar position again today.
6. SEORABEOL DOLPUNG – Inconsistent of late but certainly capable of finding the money on his day.
7. FIRST KING – Usually beats a few and probably will again. Need a bit more to challenge for the places though.
8. JOYFUL STORY – 5th over a mile in March but has struggled in latest two.
9. DREAM JILJU – Yet to win in seven attempts but has four 2nd place finishes and has beaten a number of these lately. Strong chance here.
10. BUYEONG TOWER – Never finished any better than 4th in twenty attempts. 4th would be the limit of ambitions today.
11. DANCING BLAZE – Yet to win but enters following an improved 3rd over 1200M on June 2nd and could challenge or the places again.
Verdict: (2) LUCKY NOVA is up in class having got his maiden victory over 1200M on June 16th. Top trainer and jockey and he’s going to be well backed to score immediately at class 5 here. (9) DREAM JILJU is yet to win in seven starts and may have to settle for fifth 2nd place finish while (1) EUNGNIBYEOSU and (4) RISING DERBY, the latter up in class following his own maiden win, are others to look out for.
Selections (2) Lucky Nova (9) Dream Jilju (1) Eungnibyeosu (4) Rising Derby
Next Best 7, 11
Fast Start 2, 3, 4
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. WELLBEING JOY – Maiden win at the seventh attempt last start. Up in class today and a bit to find but not impossible.
2. LUNA CHAMP – Managed an unexpected 2nd over 1700M in May but reverted to type last time. Outsider.
3. P.K. PARTY – Comfortable winner on debut over 1000M on May 27th. Up in class and distance today but the manner of that win suggests she is the one to beat again.
4. YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN – Maiden win on fourth start last time. Up in class here but looks at least in the placing frame.
5. ACE SEVEN – Never worse than 3rd in five attempts and no reason to suggest that will change here. A chance.
6. RAON WINNER – Got his maiden win over 1000M in April and was 3rd on first go at this class a month ago. Previous tries at this distance didn’t go well but gets another chance.
7. SEOUL BOLT – 2nd and a 3rd in two tries at this class, both at 1300M. A big danger today.
8. SANGBIGUN – Seems to be finally getting to grips with this class with two 3rds and a 4th from his last three. Can challenge for the places again.
9. JEONGSANG DAEGIL – Much improved 2nd last time was unexpected and while this looks a stiffer test, a repeat can’t be completely ruled out.
10. MIDAS WAY – Up in class having come too close too many times at class 6. Apprentice jockey in his first weekend of racing on board. Tough ask for first try at level.
11. SO ARA CHEONWANG – 5th behind Raon Winner. Class and distance winner as recently as March but won’t be among the favourites here.
Verdict: Really good little race this and (3) P.K. PARTY is the one to beat having made all on his debut to win with relative ease. Loads of others enter in good form though with no fewer than eight of them having at least placed on their latest start. Among them (7) SEOUL BOLT, (5) ACE SEVEN and the up in class (4) YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN look the most likely.
Selections (3) P.K. Party (7) Seoul Bolt (5) Ace Seven (4) Yeongwonhan Sungan
Next Best 6, 8
Fast Start 3, 5, 6, 7
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. POWERFUL FORCE – Recent form uninspiring.
2. RISING PRINCE – Got promoted to this level without a win but has proven capable of holding his own at this class. Races better when closing.
3. URIDEULUI YEONGUNG – Up in class and distance following maiden victory last start Tough ask today.
4. EGSEU BAND – Only beat one home when reasonably well backed a month ago and will likely be more of an outsider today.
5. SONATILLED – Class and distance winner on June 4th, beating a couple of these. Carries an extra 4kg today but still firmly in the frame.
6. GARAK GONGWON – 56th start today for this ever-game one. Just the one win but he can never be ruled out of sneaking into minor money.
7. TIME CASTLE – 6th behind Sonatilled last time, she’s becoming accustomed to this class and could be competing for the money here.
8. GLOBAL CHAMPION – Showed some slight improvement last time. Still needs plenty more though. Top jockey booking.
9. STYLISH – 4th ahead of a couple of these last time out and has claims on the minor placings once more.
10. BOUND KOREA – Solid 3rd over 3rd over 1300M two weeks ago, he was a class 6 winner at this distance. Could well be the one to beat today.
11. MORNING GANGJA – Two starts at class 5 since being dropped back from class 4 haven’t resulted in any better showings.
Verdict: 3rd on his first try at this level but a class 6 winner over a mile in May, (10) BOUND KOREA is the pick to come out on top here. Despite the wide draw, he should still be able to get on the early pace and can go all the way. (5) SONATILLED was a narrow class and distance winner on June 4th, beating a couple of these and although he gets punished with an extra 4kg today, he must be respected while challenges can be expected too from (7) TIME CASTLE and (9) STYLISH.
Selections (10) Bound Korea (5) Sonatilled (9) Stylish (7) Time Castle
Next Best 6, 2, 3
Fast Start 4, 5, 10
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. CHUKBOGUI YEOLMAE – Best in three attempts at this level is a 3rd place. Disappointed when well backed last time but worth another go for the places today.
2. PEARL QUEEN – A winner over 1000M three weeks ago. Hasn’t gone well at anything further than the minimum though.
3. LEADER FORCE – Didn’t stay on when tried at 1700M on June 4th. Really good class 6 winner at this distance the time before though and should go much better today.
4. GOLDEN VASCAR – Swooped late to win at this class over 1200M on May 27th, this race isn’t too dissimilar so he’s in the frame.
5. GEUMGOKSEONG – 8th behind Maseong Sinhwa last start was a drop in form. Very capable of moneying at this level though even if a few will probably be too quick.
6. BAEKDU GWANGJANG – Four 5ths and a 6th in five attempts at this level since maiden victory. Similar expected today.
7. MORNING MAMBO – Followed a surprise 2nd place at class and distance in May with a 6th of 11 last time. That would be par once more.
8. HYEONMU – Usually well backed but hasn’t looked like making the breakthrough at this class. Can be close but others favoured.
9. MENI PARK – Comes in after a couple of months off since a 6th of 11 over 1300M. Placing chances at best.
10. MASEONG SINHWA – Took eight goes to get his maiden win but he came close on his first try at this level on June 4th, ending up 3rd. Big chance today.
11. GWANGYA BULGIDUNG – Up in class following back to back 2nd places. Looks a big ask here.
Verdict: (10) MASEONG SINHWA has figured out what he’s supposed to be doing of late and can follow up the 3rd place he managed on his first try at this class on June 4th with a win today. (3) LEADER FORCE struggled at 1700M last time but should be a different prospect today while (4) GOLDEN VASCAR, a winner last time, and (5) GEUMGOKSEONG, who can be forgiven his last outing, are others to look at.
Selections (10) Maseong Sinhwa (3) Leader Force (4) Golden Vascar (5) Geumgokseong
Next Best 8, 11
Fast Start 3, 6, 10
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. POKPUNGUI JEWANG – 6th of 12 when well backed last time. A bit to find today.
2. GYERIMUI JILJU – Usually just finds a couple too quick and that will probably be the case again today. Placing chances.
3. GANGHO IRON – Occasionally sneaks a minor place but shows few signs of being able to win at this level. Closer.
4. TARIAT MACHO – Enters off back to back 3rd place finishes. Should be close to the early pace and looks clear 2nd favourite.
5. MUJEOKUI SAMSON – Gone off the rails in his latest two including an odd tilt at class 3 last time. Has some talent but hard to back with confidence.
6. DYNAMIC ROOKIE – A bit of an unknown still and his 6th of 12 over a mile last time – his first start since December – offered few clues.
7. YEONGGWANGUICOUNTRY – Up in class today following a 3rd and a 2nd, both at this distance. Looks nicely in here and could get close.
8. SEIZE THE TIME – Comes in off the back of some decent efforts. Not likely to get his maiden win here but could challenge for minor money.
9. CAPTAIN BLADE – Up in class quickly following a pair of facile wins. He’s got potential and he should be winning this.
10. ARION METAL – First start since March, he has found the money at this level in the past but will be an outsider today.
11. CINNADAR – Races for the first time since last August. Trialled up in distinctly average fashion and can’t be backed first-up.
12. BRAVO MARINE – Started his career well but after 10 months out has lost his way. Dropped back from class 3 last time and still only beat one home.
Verdict: (9) CAPTAIN BLADE is up in class having won his last two in straightforward fashion. He’s up in distance too but there’s no reason why either should be a concern and he should win. Main danger could well be a maiden and that’s (4) TARIAT MACHO. The gelding has only run twice this year but has been 3rd both times, both in decent company and could get close today. (2) GYERIMUI JILJU and (7) YEONGGWANGUICOUNTRY are among a number of others who could also go well.
Selections (9) Captain Blade (4) Tariat Macho (7) Yeonggwanguicountry (2) Gyerimui Jilju
Next Best 6, 1
Fast Start 5, 6, 9
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. LEAD QUEEN – Two wins from five and 2nd on first try at this class on June 10th. She’ll be favourite to make all today.
2. SEOUL QUEEN – Her sire, Archarcharch, was purchased by Korean interests this week and she’s a reliable type. 3rd on first try at this level last start and is a contender today.
3. BEYOND LIMIT – Improved 3rd place at this distance last start. Not impossible.
4. YONGWANG SIDAE – Up in class following victory at this distance last time. Will need to find a bit more to repeat that today.
5. VICAR SOCKS – Up in class following a win at this distance on April 2nd. Comes in after three months off and likely has a bit to find.
6. HYESEONG YEOWANG – Three starts so far this year and close in all of them. Should challenge for the early lead and can get close.
7. KKACHILHAN GONGJU – First start since February. Was going well before the layoff and trialled ok. Others will be favoured though.
8. NABOM CASTLE – Won at this class last autumn but recent form doesn’t suggest a repeat is imminent.
9. UNAK HABIO – 2nd at class and distance in May before running 7th of 11 three weeks ago. Placing chances.
Verdict: Smallish field here but a good one and (1) LEAD QUEEN is the pick. She looks on the way and having just run out of steam a little last time, drops back to 1000M today and should have too much. (2) SEOUL QUEEN and (3) BEYOND LIMIT are both proven money winners at this level too as indeed is (6) HYESEONG YEOWANG, 3rd last time in a tough race at class and distance and set to go well here.
Selections (1) Lead Queen (6) Hyeseong Yeowang (2) Seoul Queen (3) Beyond Limit
Next Best 9, 8
Fast Start 1, 6, 7
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. FOUR STAR – 8th of 10 on return from five months off at beginning of June, he won’t be favoured here.
2. SUPER JJANGJJANGI – Close in recent starts culminating in 2nd at class and distance last time. Looks ready to win again and it could be here.
3. MISS BLUE – Defied long odds to run 4th of 10 at 1300M two weeks ago. Will need to find a bit more again if she is to match that today.
4. DAEHOYEOJANGGUN – Goes ok on her day but this looks a tough ask.
5. YEONGGWANGUI PARK – 7th of 12 on first try at this level at the end of May. That was a tough race and he looks much more likely here.
6. LADY CHAMP – Disappointed a little last start but she has won at this class and can place here.
7. ONLY BLUE – 5th of 10 at 1300M a month ago. Generally runs on well and has won at this distance. Can place.
8. SORICHYEO – Comes in off three consecutive 7th place finishes and has plenty to find today.
9. INDIAN PARK – Last in both starts since returning from seven months off and accordingly little to recommend today.
10. YUSEONG VICTORY – Struggled three weeks ago when even beaten by Sorichyeo at 1400M. Back in trip today and should go much better.
11. YEONGGWANGUICHUBOK –9th behind Super Jjangjjangi on latest three weeks ago but managed unexpected 2nds in the two races prior. Interesting outsider.
12. YEONSEUNG JILJU – Recent form inconsistent. Goes well on his day but that day doesn’t come around very often.
Verdict: Is (2) SUPER JJANGJJANGI ready to win again? Recent form suggests so and while he was a full six lengths behind a good winner last time, today should be easier. The big danger is (10) YUSEONG VICTORY. He faded without trace in the closing stages behind Open The Sky last time over 1400M but drops back in trip today and should be much better. (5) YEONGGWANGUI PARK and (6) LADY CHAMP among others in the hunt in what is one of the most competitive and open races of the day.
Selections (2) Super Jjangjjangi (10) Yuseong Victory (5) Yeonggwangui Park (6) Lady Champ
Next Best 7, 3
Fast Start 2
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. GWACHEON BOLT – Not beaten many in three starts so far.
2. LEGEND KING – Yet to score in twelve but latest three have been encouraging. First start since April and could go close.
3. STORM NAVY SEAL – 10th of 12 and last of 12 in two prior outings.
4. SHARK RUN – Won on debut but only beat one when sent up to 1700M for his second race. Trialled up in swift fashion last week and at this distance, looks the one to beat.
5. PRO MATHEUS – Getting closer of late and looks to have a win in him. This may be his best chance.
6. J BAEK – Still class 5 but takes his chance here. Won’t win but no reason he can’t sneak into the minor money.
7. BEST TAKER – 2nd and a 3rd from his last two, he’ll be close to the early speed here and is in with a shout.
8. SIMBA THE NEXT – US$40K purchase in March makes his debut here. He wasn’t quick in trials and a watching brief first up is probably advisable.
9. EONJENA JEONGSANG – His 5th last start was his best finish to date. Trialled up well last week but up against it again.
Verdict: It’s not entirely clear why (4) SHARK RUN was bumped all the way up to 1700M for his second start having won on debut at 1200M in April. Either way, it was too much too soon and he only beat one home. He went back to trial last week and looked sharp and comes in here at 1300M as the one to beat. (5) PRO MATHEUS is yet to score in fifteen outings and may need to settle for a place once more while (2) LEGEND KING and (7) BEST TAKER also look like placing contenders at least.
Selections (4) Shark Run (5) Pro Matheus (2) Legend King (7) Best Taker
Next Best 6, 9
Fast Start 5, 7
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. YEONGWON CHUKJE – Generally beats a few but recent form is uninspiring.
2. TAEYANGUI SINHWA – 6th in the Korean Derby in May and 4th of 10 behind Divine King on return to Busan a couple of weeks ago. Nicely in here, could get a soft lead and can win.
3. FINE DREAM – Defied long odds to run 3rd of 12 over a mile last start. Has done well over this distance in the past as well and could be an interesting outsider.
4. GUMPO MIRACLE – Gone cold in recent starts and has plenty to find today.
5. MAGIC LINE – Comes in off back to back 2nd places at class and distance. Has joint top weight to contend with but is firmly in the hunt.
6. DIVINE KING – Saw his winning streak come to an end last time when 3rd ahead of Taeyangui Sinhwa and Ganghan Namja. Still nicely weighted, he’s the one to beat.
7. MY ALICE – Last in latest two and an awful lot to find here.
8. GANGHAN NAMJA – 5th behind Divine King and Taeyangui Sinhwa last time. An apprentice took a couple of kilos off that day but he can go well again.
9. HWARYEOHANHAMSEONG – Class and distance winner as recently as March under a light weight, he hasn’t looked likely to follow up in two starts since.
Verdict: (6) DIVINE KING may have seen his winning streak come to an end on his first try at 1800M two weeks ago but he did manage to beat two of these on his way to 3rd place and he is the pick to get it right today. Those two, (2) TAEYNAGUI SINHWA and (8) GANGHAN NAMJA should be in the picture again today although main danger could well be (5) MAGIC LINE, who has come close in his last two, 2nd both times (once behind Ganghan Namja) and should be looking to at least match those today.
Selections (6) Divine King (2) Taeyangui Sinhwa (5) Magic Line (8) Ganghan Namja
Next Best 3, 9
Fast Start 2, 5, 6, 7
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. CUPID FLOWER – Up in class having been 2nd, just beaten a neck by Bolt Sign a month ago. More scope for improvement than that one and a chance here.
2. MORNING SKY – A winner at this class over 1700M and comes in having run 5th of 8 in a valuable race at the start of June. Others favoured here though.
3. TOUR ROSE – Winner or runner-up in each of her last six, she’s up in class following two facile recent wins. Big chance today too.
4. GWACHEONUI HAMSEON – 4th of 12 over 1400M last time out beating a couple who go here. A winner at this distance in April he has solid claims again.
5. NORTHERN HOJAE – Improved 2nd, just beaten a head over 1200M last start, likely to be on the early speed here and can compete for the places again.
6. BOLT SIGN – Up in class having unexpected won over 1400M a month ago beating Cupid Flower. A bit to find to be competitive at this level.
7. DARK LADY – Well back behind Gwacheonui Hamseon last time but could improve here. Slow starter but can run on well.
8. JANGSAN CITY – Just lost his way slightly in recent outings and has a bit to find here.
9. CHOEGO BISEUL – Winner at this class over 1400M in April, beating Dark Lady and Northern Hojae. Failed to follow up in two starts since but can’t be ruled out.
10. CHOWONUI CHANGA – Comes in off a 4th and 5th from his latest two and could repeat today.
Verdict: (3) TOUR ROSE is up in class having won her last two in dismissively easy fashion and looks the one to beat again, most likely leading gate to wire. Main danger is (4) GWACHEONUI HAMSEON who has already shown he is competitive at this class and will try to come from just off the pace. (1) CUPID FLOWER and (5) NORTHERN HOJAE look the best of a competitive rest.
Selections (3) Tour Rose (4) Gwacheonui Hamseon (1) Cupid Flower (5) Northern Hojae
Next Best 9, 7
Fast Start 2, 3, 5
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
1. MATCH POWER – 2nd on first try at class 1 over 2000M at the end of May, he should relish the sprint distance and has a chance.
2. TRIPLE FIVE – If only there were class 1 races at five furlongs, you’d fancy this one to clean up. As it is, he’s still effective at 1200M, has won at the class before and is the one to beat.
3. CHOGWANG – First try at 1200M for a while but can’t really be recommended in this company.
4. PERDIDO POMEROY – Decent 5th place in last month’s SBS Sports Sprint at Seoul possibly signalled a return to form. If so, he is dangerous.
5. OTTUG OTTUGI – Last year’s Oaks winner is really a sprinter and she races for the first time since February. Trialled up well and in the hunt.
6. SHOOTING BROWN – Well back behind Triple Five last time, improvement isn’t impossible but he is one of the outsiders.
7. GASOK ENGINE – Has had an interrupted time of it since making it to class 1. 6th behind Triple Five last time having led early but weakened.
8. GOJI JEONGBEOL – Well back behind Match Power last start and an outsider here.
9. PUREUN ACE – Has found life difficult at class 1.
10. SINHEUNG GOSU – Class 2 horse who isn’t especially competitive at that level so won’t be here.
12. DARKEST NIGHT – Improved 5th behind Triple Five last time and could match that here.
Verdict: Competitive sprint this with (2) TRIPLE FIVE the one to beat. He didn’t get back in the very competitive Busan Ilbo Cup in April but is a class and distance winner and can repeat today. (4) PERDIDO POMEROY showed glimpses of a return to form at Seoul last month and can build on that today while (1) MATCH POWER was 2nd over 2000M on his first try at class 1 and will be dangerous dropped back to a sprint distance today as indeed will his stablemate, 2016 Oaks winner (5) OTTUG OTTUGI.
Selections (2) Triple Five (4) Perdido Pomeroy (5) Ottug Ottugi (1) Match Power
Next Best 11, 6
Fast Start 2, 4, 5, 7
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. CYCLING HIT – Shown some glimpses of a return to form with a really good 4th of 14 in a competitive race last month.
2. GOOD TO YOU – 3rd at lass and distance last time. Never been a winner but is a perennial placer and can place again.
3. LOST IN DRAMA – 3rd of 12 in a good race at class and distance three weeks ago came off the back of two other strong showings. Could be her day. Will lead early.
4. KRYPTO KID – 7th of 12 on first try at this class following maiden win in May. Up in distance today with a bit to find.
5. HWANGGEUM SORI – A win at this class over 1800M in March and solid efforts in two runs since puts him in the frame here.
6. HWANGGEUM BISANG – Struggled a little at this class even if he showed signs of improvement last start.
7. CIRCLE THE WAGONS – Class and distance winner in January so the ability is there but two efforts since have been lacklustre.
8. NANCHOUI GOHYANG – Just getting established at this class. 5th of 11 last time and that would be a good target again.
9. CHOEGO MONEY – Up to two turns for the first time and it may suit. Won’t be among the top line of favourites but not impossible.
10. CHAMPION KING – Up in class and in distance having won his last three. Likely to be on speed early and can win again.
11. GALSAEK JEOLLYEONG – Just one outing so far in 2017 and it didn’t inspire.
Verdict: (10) CHAMPION KING is one of the up and coming talents at the track having won his last three races with various degrees of ease. He comes up against a stiffer challenge today though being up in both class and distance. Nevertheless, we’ll go for him to continue his winning streak from the front. Joining him on the early speed is likely to be (3) LOST IN DRAMA and she does look to be closing in on a win at this level likewise (2) GOOD TO YOU and (5) HWANGGEUM SORI have proved themselves capable money winners at this class and can be dangerous.
Selections (10) Champion King (3) Lost In Drama (2) Good To You (5) Hwanggeum Sori
Next Best 9, 1
Fast Start 3, 9, 10
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. CONCORDE II – Well back behind Cheongdam Dokki last time but could repeat his class and distance 3rd from March.
2. HILLTOP – First start since last November. Trialled averagely and wasn’t going especially well before the layoff. Watching brief first up.
3. LUCKY MUSIC – Recent form doesn’t inspire. Outsider.
4. HIPPOCRENE – Comes in following back to back 6th place finishes in competitive races. Has won at this level and likely to be second favourite here.
5. DIXIE PLOIT – First start since 2nd place in good race at the distance in April. Nicely weighted and can place.
6. CHEONGDAM DOKKI – Banker favourite of the day, comes in following back to back 2nd place finishes both times as favourite. Surely gets it right today.
7. OSAENG MYEONGJANG – Well back behind Cheongdam Dokki last start and lots to find here.
8. CHEONNYEON YUSAN – Well back behind Cheongdam Dokki last start but nicely weighted today and could sneak a place.
Verdict: It’s true that (6) CHEONGDAM DOKKI has let favourite backers down on both his last two starts but he looks head and shoulders above this field, three of whom he defeated last time. The two that could perhaps cause him problems didn’t go that day. They’re (4) HIPPOCRENE and (5) DIXIE PLOIT but Cheongdam Dokki should have enough to see them off.
Selections (6) Cheongdam Dokki (4) Hippocrene (5) Dixie Ploit (8) Cheonnyeon Yusan
Next Best 1
Fast Start 3, 6
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
1. WHO’S PERFECT – 4th behind City Star in April but didn’t impress in latest two.
2. SUN STRONG – First start since last December. Won a trial two weeks ago and makes for an interesting outsider.
3. DIPLOMATIC MISSION – Generally beats a few but a few usually too strong. Midfield finish the most likely outcome.
4. JEONSEUNG DAESE – Never better than 4th at class 1 but he could match that here.
5. DONGBANJAUI GIJEOK – 5th of 7 last time and won’t be favoured today.
6. TAEYANGWANG – Class and distance winner on first try at this level on April. Hasn’t raced since then but looked sharp in very quick June trial and is in the frame here.
7. CITY STAR – A winner at this class over 1200M on May 27th, beating three of these in the process, he has solid claims today. 7 wins from 12 total starts.
8. SEONBONG – Returned to form with 2nd place last time at 1200M. Not impossible.
9. GLOBAL FUSION – Only beat a couple home last time behind City Star, Lots to find today.
10. BRIG – Solid 2nd place in good race over 1800M last start. Top weight but a contender here.
11. CHEONMANG – Weakened badly in each of his last starts and little to suggest that won’t happen again today.
12. IMPETUS – 5th behind City Star last time and in the placing frame again.
Verdict: (7) CITY STAR cruised to a four-length win over 1200M on May 27th, beating three of the ones who also go here. It was a good performance and having already won three times over this distance, he is the one to beat. (6) TAEYANGWANG won his first try at class 1 in April but hasn’t raced since. Any thoughts he might be a little out of touch were dispelled with a really quick trial in June and he can be competitive first-up today. (10) BRIG is top rated and top weight and can show why while (4) JEONSEUNG DAESE and (12) IMPETUS look best of the rest.
Selections (7) City Star (6) Taeyangwang (10) Brig (4) Jeonseung Daese
Next Best 12, 8, 2
Fast Start 2, 3, 4, 11