The weekend’s racing gets underway at Busan on Friday where there are 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00. English race cards – now complete with silk colours – are here.
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. MEISTER – Two starts so far, one last September and one a month ago. Offered little.
2. BOUND KOREA – Not beaten many in three outings but improvement possible.
3. MISWICK MYEONGUN – First start since last October. Finished last in recent trial.
4. WANGGI – Much improved 4th at this distance latest start and can match or better today.
5. MACH KAISERIN – Comes in following back to back 5th places in all-filly races. Similar would be a good result here.
6. VICTORY DAY – Pretty woeful in six prior goes. Trialled up unconvincingly in March.
7. KIRK MINIISTER – Encouraging performance on debut and every chance of scoring here.
8. EVER GOOD TIME – Ran on quite nicely last time and could improve on first try at this distance.
9. HANEOL NURI – 2nd at 1000M last time. First attempt at further than the minimum ut looks the one to beat.
10. TIMELESS – Best is a 2nd at this distance in February. Only 5th when favourite on latest start but worth another chance here.
11. HWARYEOHAN YONGSA – Well back behind Timeless in latest two.
Verdict: (9) HANEOL NURI was a good 2nd at 1000M at the end of last month and looks well placed to get an early lead and go all the way in this modest contest. Thomas Gillespie’s (7) KIRK MINIISTER showed enough on debut to suggest he’s worth following in a race such as this while (10) TIMELESS has already come close on a few occasions and should do so again. Those aside we’re scratching around a bit with (4) WANGGI perhaps best of the limited rest.
Selections (9) Haneol Nuri (7) Kirk Miniister (10) Timeless (4) Wanggi
Next Best 2, 8
Fast Start 5, 9
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. HALLAUI DOLPUNG – 5th at class and distance last time, she should be looking to match or better here.
2. HAPPY LADY – A winner on debut on March she disappointed on her first try at this class two weeks ago but looks nicely entered here. Big chance.
3. BOUND QUEENS – Won a similar race over 1200M in February. Couldn’t follow up last time but back in trip today.
4. MISS CANBERRA – Still yet to score, she beat three of these wen 2nd at this distance in February. Not impossible.
5. VICAR HOPE – A little inconsistent but ran well last time at this trip and should be in the hunt.
6. GEUMTE – 4th behind Miss Canberra in February and should beat a few again.
7. ENTER WAY QUEEN – Yet to score in 13 and beaten by Vicar Hope in February. Plenty to find.
8. EORIN YEOWANG – Yet to win but up in class following back to back 2nd place finishes at this distance Has a chance here.
9. WORLD PEACE – Solitary victory came at this distance last December. Generally beats a few but others likely quicker.
10. YUKRYONGI – Winner on debut but found it tough on first try at this level last month. Interesting outsider.
11. BLUE DANCER – Never better than 3rd in ten tries but won a trial at this distance just two weeks ago.
Verdict: Just fillies here and it’s really open. We’ll give (2) HAPPY LADY another chance after a somewhat disappointing first try at this level. She’ll be on speed early along with (4) MISS CANBERRA and can stay on better today. Miss Canberra too is a possible as is (5) VICAR HOPE with both of them proven money winners at this level. Despite being without a win (8) EORIN YEOWANG shouldn’t be concerned at the step up in class while (3) BOUND QUEENS, having won a similar race at 1200M in February, is also in the rather wide frame.
Selections (2) Happy Lady (5) Vicar Hope (8) Eorin Yeowang (3) Bound Queens
Next Best 4, 10, 11
Fast Start 1, 2, 4, 10
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. DORAON GUNHAM – Up in class having won at 1200M a month ago and should be competitive here.
2. MAKGANG JILJU – 6th behind Mine last time. Has a bit to find but usually not too far away.
3. HIGH SPEC – Solitary victory at this distance but recent form has been cold
4. MINE – Improved 4th when totally unfancied on March 24th. That wasn’t a bad race so she can’t be ruled out here.
5. VICAR FAMILY – Won a weak all-filly class 6 race in February but has struggled in two outings at this level since.
6. GOLDEN KINGS – Three outings so far this year haven’t impressed.
7. HWANSANGUI JILJU – Solid 6th at this class over 1000M last time. Today’s distance should suit more.
8. DAMNYANG TAEYANG – 5th in decent race over 1200M last start and already has a 2nd place at this level. A chance here.
9. I AM FIRST – She was indeed 1st last start which means she is up in class today. She may not be 1st today but she can go close.
10. SINHYEOKMYEONG – Up in lass following a 4-length win over this distance on March 10th. Will be on speed early and is the favourite here.
11. RECHAE – Beaten by Damyang Taeyang last time and lots to find today.
Verdict: (10) SINHYEOKMYEONG was a commanding winner last start, pretty much making all on the way to a four-length score. It was at this distance and despite being up in class, she should have too much here. The other two up in class, (1) DORAON GUNHAM and (9) I AM FIRST, were less convincing but they too shouldn’t be troubled too much by the competition and can go close. Among those who have already run at this class, (7) HWANSANGUI JILJU and (8) DAMNYANG TAEYANG look the picks.
Selections (10) Sinhyeokmyeong (8) Damyang Taeyang (1) Doraon Gunham (9) I Am First
Next Best 7, 2, 4
Fast Start 9, 10
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. MACHO MYEONGUN – Better than latest performance three weeks ago suggests. In the placing frame today.
2. ADELE STAR – Winner of a slightly weaker event at this class and distance in March. 4th latest and a chance here.
3. VICAR SARANG – Beat Adele Star as the pair raced 1st and 2nd in January. Struggled in two starts since but improvement possible.
4. ZENITH COUNTY – Smart winner on first race back from 7 months out over 1200M on March 19th, beating some useful ones. Up in class but favourite here.
5. LADY CHAMP – Class and distance winner in March and 5th last time three weeks ago. In the hunt again today.
6. GOOD ONE MAN –Beat a couple of these over 1400M a month ago and can beat plenty here.
7. WINNING NUMBER – Started the year with a 5th place but four subsequent starts have been underwhelming.
8. SORICHYEO – Beaten by Good One Man and Winning Number last time. Outsider.
9. SUPERNOVA IJI – Has found this level tough and starts for the first time since January. Watching brief today.
Verdict: (4) ZENITH COUNTY returned from seven months off to comfortably score over 1200M on March 19th. Class 5 therefore didn’t detain him very long and there’s no reason to suggest class 4 will either. He looks to be strong favourite. (2) ADELE STAR and (5) LADY CHAMP were both class and distance winners in March and look to be the main dangers with (1) MISWICK MYEONGUN and (6) GOOD ONE MAN best of the rest.
Selections (4) Zenith County (2) Adele Star (5) Lady Champ (1) Miswick Myeongun
Next Best 6, 3
Fast Start 2, 3, 4
Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. OCEAN LINE – 2nd when not fancied at all over 1800M three weeks ago. Has a strong finish and won’t be ignored by punters this time.
2. SONATILLED – Showed a bit of improvement last start but still an outsider here.
3. CHEONGMA DAEJANGGUN – Yet to strike in 34 starts and that’s unlikely to change today.
4. GENERAL – A winner over a mile in early March je didn’t go well on first try at this level last time but is worthy of another chance here.
5. WINNING GILI – Only one win but always comes close including at this distance last time. Up in class here but nicely weighted and can place once more.
6. HARLEQUIN – 4th on her second start, six months after her first. Big step up in trip and plenty of unknowns but owner/trainer means she will be backed.
7. WORLD NUMBER ONE – Not too far away in his most recent three. Up in distance today and this one does look to have a win in him.
8. MINNEUNDAERO – Yet to finish better than 7th in eight outings.
9. EURI EURI – Returned to some semblance of form with a 3rd place at the distance a month ago. Interesting outsider here.
10. BADA STAR – 7th behind World Number One first-up last month. Can improve on that but still plenty to find.
11. JIBONG JILJU – Three starts into a comeback following nine months out. Yet to show much.
Verdict: Competitive race with three standouts. (1) OCEAN LINE was just beaten a neck over 1800M three weeks ago and must be taken seriously while (4) GENERAL disappointed on his first try at this class just two weeks ago but is a winner at this distance and is strongly in the frame here. He carries a light weight and may get an uncontested lead here. Completing the three is (7) WORLD NUMBER ONE, who may not have finished any better than 4th in four outings to date but has been getting closer and may benefit from the step up in trip. Aside from those three, (5) WINNING GILI and (10) BADA STAR look best.
Selections (4) General (1) Ocean Line (7) World Number One (5) Winning Gili
Next Best 10, 6, 9
Fast Start 4
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. DROP THE BEAT – Won his first two. 6th behind The Grand when favourite on latest start, he’ll be a danger here.
2. GANGJA BONSAEK – Well back behind The Grand and Drop The Beat last month so plenty of form to overturn.
3. PURE DEIMOS – Winner of one form four. Struggled at 1400M last start but looks the type who can get the distance. Interesting outsider.
4. AWESOME DOLL – Up in class following a narrow win over 1200M last month. She has talent but this is a big step up.
5. NO SMALL KOREA – Hasn’t looked the same since returning from five months off.
6. GEOCHIMEOPSI – First start since last July. Trialled up ok but unlikely to get maiden win.
7. JEONGSANG KOREA – Yet to win but up in class following three 2nd place finishes. Beaten by good ones in the past, including The Grand. Placing chances.
8. THE GRAND – Still a maiden but surely not for much longer. Three consecutive 2nd place finishes, last time by just a head.
9. SHORT STOP – Comes on following back to back 2nd places at this level and can go well again today.
10. MUJEOK WONDERFUL – Up in class and distance. Races for the first time since February when he beat Awesome Doll when winning over 1000M. Interesting outsider.
11. SPEED MARK – Indifferent in tow tries at the level so far. Looks to have plenty to find.
12. MAJOR CHAMP – Beaten by Drop The Beat in three of his four starts. Gets close though and can do so again.
Verdict: Another very competitive race but we’ll go with (8) THE GRAND to end his string of runner-up finishes and get that maiden breakthrough. He beat (1) DROP THE BEAT convincingly last time and Drop The Beat himself has beaten (12) MAJOR CHAMP on no fewer than three occasions. Those two look to be the main dangers though. The Grand has also beaten (7) JEONGSANG KOREA, who comes up in class but looks competitive while (9) SHORT STOP is another who is consistent and must be taken seriously.
Selections (8) The Grand (1) Drop The Beat (9) Short Stop (12) Major Champ
Next Best 7, 10, 5
Fast Start 1, 10
Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. MR. WHY – Well beaten in recent outings.
2. NAGASINDA – Beaten by plenty of these lately so lots of form to overturn.
3. IRON TRAIN – Finished behind a lot of these lately. Improvement not impossible but an outsider.
4. JILJUUI SIN – Class 3 winner at his distance, he was 5th behind Mirical Iji and Furious Park on March 17th. Likely front-runner and a chance to overturn that form today.
5. JUNGANG CHAMP – Strong 4th at a mile a month ago and every chance of matching or bettering today.
6. MIRACLE IJI – Won a tough class and distance race in February and went on to beat plenty of these in March. 4th behind Furious Park attest and possible the one to beat today.
7. SISEON POCHAK – A long time since his most recent win but solid competitor. Very nicely in the weights.
8. SAEROUN BEOPCHIK – Likely early front-runner but recent form has not been good.
9. SEONGSAN PAECHONG – 64th start today. Usually gives a good account of himself but surely too much for to overturn.
10. FURIOUS PARK – 2nd, ahead of Miricle Iji and others on March 31st. This will be tougher but he is still very much in the frame.
Verdict: There’s lots of form to go on here as most of them have been racing each other a lot. (10) FURIOUS PARK and (6) MIRICLE IJI ran 2nd and 4th in a similar race three weeks ago and we’ll go for Miricle Iji to upturn that form today. Furious Park remains a danger but David Miller’s (5) JUNGANG CHAMP looks to be coming back into form and can go close too. (4) JILJUUI SIN was a slight disappointment last time but gets another chance here.
Selections (6) Miricle Iji (5) Jungang Champ (10) Furious Park (4) Jiluui Sin
Next Best 3, 7
Fast Start 4, 8, 9