Grand Prix Stakes winner Clean Up Joy makes his second appearance of 2017 with the five-year-old set to be hot favourite to win the Herald Business Cup at Seoul Racecourse on Sunday afternoon.
Clean Up Joy (Purge) was a dominant winner on his seasonal reappearance in February and with Djordje Perovic on board, will be expected to make short work of nine rivals over 2000M. The Herald Business is the highlight of an 11-race card at Seoul which runs from 10:45 to 18:00 while at Busan there are 6 races from 12:40 to 17:35.
English race cards are here, notes on the Herald Business and two other races which will be simulcast overseas (Australia) are below:
Race 9: Class Open “The Herald Business Cup” (2000M) Allowance / KRW 250 Million
1. SEONBONG – Well back behind Shamrocker and Strong Road at this distance in January and offered little over 1200M last month. On early pace but outsider here.
2. STRONG ROAD – Narrowly beaten by Shamrocker in January and 4th, a long way behind Clean Up Joy when enjoying a substantial weight advantage. Placing chances only.
3. CHEONJEOK – Enters having pulled of a surprise win over 1800M on March 11th with Sinjo Daehyeob in 3rd. Can compete for the places again.
4. SHAMROCKER – Two wins from his last two, beating plenty of these in the process. He’s the second favourite.
5. SINJO DAEHYEOP – 3rd behind Cheonjeok on what was his first start at class 1 on March 11th. Closed really strongly that day and should be better at 2000M today. Placing chances again.
6. HAEMARU – Won this race last year but hasn’t excited in two starts so far this year. Can never be completely ruled out though.
7. ROYAL JIBBLY – A winner at this distance six weeks ago at class 2, this is a much sterner test.
8. BICHUI JEONGSANG – last year’s champion filly or mare, she hasn’t gone as well in wither of her outings so far this year. She’s a closer but hasn’t managed to close of late.
9. BEST RUN – 3rd behind Shamrocker a month ago and beaten by the same horse in January. He has form to overturn today.
10. CLEAN UP JOY – The Grand Prix champion is the best horse in Korea. Easily won on season debut. Requests the outside gate and if he runs at even 80%, he wins.
Verdict: (10) CLEAN UP JOY is a superior animal to any of these and it would be the shock of the year so far were he to be beaten here. (4) SHAMROCKER, who Djordje Perovic gets off in order to ride the favourite, looks to be 2nd best while both (3) CHEONJEOK and (5) SINJO DAEHYEOP can get close.
Selections (10) Clean Up Joy (4) Shamrocker (5) Sinjo Daeheyop (3) Cheonjeok
Next Best 6, 8
Fast Start 1, 4
Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. SOKBO WANGJA – A class and distance winner as recently as January. Three subsequent starts since at further have not gone well but back in trip today, he is a contender.
2. BULKKOCHWANGJA – Back to back wins in January and February, latterly at this distance. Stepped up to 1700M last time and finished 3rd. Has claims here.
3. HORURAGI – Managed a 3rd place at this distance last November but in no form since. Well back behind Joara last start.
4. JOARA – Class 4 winner at 1200M in January and 2nd at class and distance last start, ahead of three who go here. Strongly in the frame today.
5. GEUMSUNI EOMJI – Well back behind Joara last start. Managed a 3rd place over 1700M in January but would be a surprise today.
6. MUSOE – Worst of the three who were well beaten by Joara last time and an outsider here. Jockey booking may tempt some though.
7. MUSIGNY – Two wins from his last three in including a tough race at this class over 1200M last start. Will be on speed here, it’s his first time at the distance. Big chance.
Verdict: The distance is perhaps the only question mark over (7) MUSIGNY but he ran on well over 1200M last start and he looks the one to beat. (4) JOARA soundly defeated three of her rivals here at class and distance a month ago and is a serious contender with (2) BULKKOCHWANGJA and even (1) SOKBO WANGJA others who should have a say in this small field.
Selections (7) Musigny (4) Joara (2) Bulkkochwangja (1) Sokbo Wangja
Next Best 6
Fast Start 1, 3, 7
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. SUPER JJANG – Last in all three most recent and can’t be recommended.
2. DASHING EDDIE – First start since last October. Trialled up in average fashion and a watching brief is probably the best advice.
3. BRIGHT CAT – 5th behind Bungma Dream last start. A little inconsistent but should be on speed and could go well.
4. BUNGMA DREAM – Unexpected 2nd ahead of Bright Cat March 26th. Repeat not impossible.
5. FLYING CHAMP – Comes in following three consecutive 2nd place finishes. Never worse than 4th in her four prior outings, she should maintain that record today.
6. ACE RUNNER – Class and distance winner last start beating Penacova. Ran on well and can repeat.
7. FACTUM’S IMAGE – Two starts at this class have both been at further and that didn’t suit. Could go better today but won’t be among the favourites.
8. NANCHOUI GOHYANG – Only beat one home last time when well back behind Ace Runner and Penacova. Top jockey on today and improvement possible.
9. GRACE CITY – Solid 4th at class and distance three weeks ago behind some decent ones. Not impossible here.
10. JEOLDAEJILJU – Enters with very little in recent for to suggest she can compete today.
11. PENACOVA – Already a winner at this class over 1200M and 2nd to Ace Runner on first try at this distance on March 12th. Big chance of overturning that form today.
12. CHEOLLI – Up in class following her third career win on March 12th. It came over 1300M and while she has plenty to find at this level, she could challenge for the minor money.
Verdict: (6) ACE RUNNER and (11) PENACOVA ran 1st and 2nd at this distance on March 12th and it looks to be between the pair of them again. This time we’ll go with Penacova to overturn that result. (5) FLYING CHAMP enters after three consecutive 2nd place finishes and will surely be in the frame again while there is scope too for (4) BUNGMA DREAM and (9) GRACE CITY to be involved.
Selections (11) Penacova (6) Ace Runner (5) Flying Champ (4) Bungma Dream
Next Best 9, 3, 8, 12
Fast Start 1, 3, 5, 9