There are 10 Good Friday races at Busan from 11:30 to 18:00. English race cards can be found here. Notes on every runner in the simulcast races below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. ARAGAYA SINGSING – 4th in all three outings last year. First start since November. Trialled up ok and from a top stable.
2. SWAG – Hasn’t earned much swag since a 4th on debut last year. Only beat one home latest but may improve stepped back to 1000M today.
3. STAR GOLD – Top jockey booking but seems to have gone backwards since debut.
4. HAROLD – Never likely to be a star with a name like that and he’s beaten few in three goes so far. Top jockey on and stablemate of Swag.
5. DALKOMHAN INSAENG – Has come close a few times with a best of 3rd. 4th of 9 last start and should be a factor here.
6. THE WONDERFUL – 3rd on debut last month, beating Haedong Yeogeol. Big chance today.
7. HANEULUI TTEUT – Raced once last autumn, impressing few. Trialled up indifferently in March and hard to back first-up.
8. JANGHAN JILJU – A pair of 5ths and a 4th in three races so far. Can go better today.
9. URIDEULUI YEONGUNG – Drops back in distance following a 2nd and 3rd place in his last two and this looks very winnable.
10. HAEDONG YEOGEOL – Much improved 4th on her most recent start, beaten by The Wonderful, and can match that today.
11. MANSUN – Been sent off at three-figure odds for all outings to date and probably should be here as well.
Verdict: 3rd on debut six weeks ago, (6) THE WONDERFUL is set to be sent off the strong favourite here. He quickened well and was only a head shy of 2nd. (9) URIDEULUI YEONGUNG has shown signs of figuring things out with a 2nd and 3rd from his latest two. With Darryll Holland on board, he’ll be well backed. Also figuring things out is (8) JANGHAN JILJU, who ran a solid 4th last start at 1200M and with a good start, can go well here. The returning 4th place specialist (1) ARAGAYA SINGSING looks a good bet for 4th while improvement from (2) SWAG is not impossible.
Selections (6) The Wonderful (9) Urideului Yeongung (8) Janghan Jilju (1) Aragaya Singsing
Next Best 2, 3
Fast Start 1, 5, 8, 9
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. NAMYANG YEOGEOL – Showed significant improvement last start to run 5th of 12 over this distance. Still more to find.
2. JUMARUI MYEONGHWA – Not beaten many in recent starts.
3. SANDEUL – Debut-maker. 3rd in her trial and while the time wasn’t especially quick, she can be given a chance here.
4. QUEEN MEDIA – 5th of 12 last time out and has gone ok in two prior starts at this distance. Not impossible.
5. SILLAUI SIDAE – Has only looked slow in four prior outings.
6. SILENCE TEUKGEUP – Raced a couple of times without distinction at the end of last year. Trialled without distinction last month. Outsider.
7. CHOEGANG STEALTH – Last on debut in January; the only way is up.
8. QUE SERA SERA – Strong 2nd on debut at this distance three weeks ago and has strong claims here.
9. YONGSUNI – Last on debut a month ago and any improvement today will be the goal.
10. ABILITY – Showed some ability when 5th of 9 on debut and should go better in this company.
11. STORMY MAGIC – An improved 6th on his second start three weeks ago and should improve more against this soft opposition.
Verdict: Banker favourite of the day runs here. (8) QUE SERA SERA was 2nd on debut at the end of March and the Bart Rice trainee should have far too much for this lot. (10) ABILITY is one of very few others here to have actually demonstrated some in recording a decent enough 5th on debut and can improve while (1) NAMYANG YEOGEOL showed some signs of life at the fourth attempt last month and could be in the hunt for places too. It’s a similar story with (4) QUEEN MEDIA and (11) STORMY MAGIC, the latter of whom was about seven lengths behind Que Sera Sera last start.
Selections (8) Que Sera Sera (10) Ability (1) Namyang Yeogeol (11) Stormy Magic
Next Best 4, 5, 3
Fast Start 4, 6, 8, 10
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. PRIME RACE – Improved across two starts although only managed 4th when odds on favourite last start. Worth another chance here.
2. JOYFUL MEMORY – A little one-paced but not too far away in all four runs so far. Can go close once more.
3. WINDY PARK – Quickly weakened at 1200M on debut but a much improved 2nd at the minimum last month.
4. B.K. BOSS – Debut-maker. Unfashionable trainer/jockey combination but he won his trial last month and could well be the one to beat.
5. VICAR OF THE SUN – 7th of 9 on debut but top jockey in the saddle today and improvement could be on the cards.
6. STONE BLADE – Debut-maker. Top trainer/jockey combination means she will be backed but she didn’t impress in trials.
7. INDIAN GANGJA – Debut-maker who was ok in trials and can be considered.
8. SONATA UP – Debut-maker who was average in trials. Others will be favoured.
9. ONNURI CHOEGANG – The final debut-maker. One of the quicker ones in trials and from a top stable, will have backers.
10. ALL GA – Offered few clues in three outings to date.
11. DAMYANG YEONGUNG – Good 3rd place on debut but hasn’t followed up in two indifferent efforts since.
Verdict: There are five first-time runners here and one of them catches the eye. (4) B.K. BOSS may not have the most fashionable trainer/jockey combination but he looked useful enough when winning a trial last month. It’s a nice race to debut in and he’s the pick. Among the other debut-makers, (6) STONE BLADE is likely to be backed based on his connections, but he wasn’t exactly quick in his trial. That takes us to the ones with experience. (1) PRIME RACE improved across two starts and while she disappointed when favourite last time, can make amends today. (2) JOYFUL MEMORY and (3) WINDY PARK have also shown glimpses and should be in the frame.
Selections (4) B.K. Boss (1) Prime Race (3) Windy Park (2) Joyful Memory
Next Best 6, 5
Fast Start 1, 3, 6
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. MALIBU RULER – Beaten 9-lengths by Rising Prince last time on first try at a mile. It was an improvement though and further development is possible here.
2. PICHICHI – Two prior attempts at this distance with a best of 5th. Ran on well enough last time ahead of Bulmyeoruimaripgan to suggest he should be in the frame today.
3. ONNURI GANGJA – Yet to land any prize money in nine outings. 7th on both previous tries at this distance and that looks a par result today.
4. JEOLDEA JIJU – 8th on only prior try at a mile but did improve a little last time at 1300M. Plenty to find here.
5. BAEDARI YEOWANG – Best among five outings has been a 6th over 1300M. Has run on reasonably ok so may suit the extended trip but still a lot to find.
6. MIDAS KING – Has tended to start well but weaken. First try at the distance today, he’ll be on the early speed but can he stay on> Top jockey booking.
7. GOLD QUEEN – Well back in each of six tries to date. Up in distance but not much to recommend.
8. BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN – Improved on second start which was at this distance last time behind Pichichi. Top stable and further improvement isn’t impossible.
9. CAPI RUN – Has come close plenty of times and the only one among these to have a 2nd place to his name. First try at the distance and he’s in the frame.
10. NAMDO GEOSANG – Started his career very promisingly but has gone cold lately. Only beat two home on first try at a mile on March 17th.
11. RISING PRINCE – Dead-heated for 3rd place at this distance on March 17th – the second time he’d been 3rd over a mile. Has to be favourite today
Verdict: Having beaten plenty of these in recent starts and having already managed two 3rd placed finishes at the distance, (11) RISING PRINCE has to be favourite to score here. He dead-heated for 3rd last time on March 17th with (1) MALIBU RULER a full nine lengths back in 6th. That in itself was an improvement for Malibu Ruler and he can continue to progress today but the main danger is expected to be (9) CAPI RUN. He is the only ne among this field to have a 2nd place to his name and steps up to a mile for the first time following a useful 4th over 1200M. (2) PICHICHI and Peter Wolsley’s (8) BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN came home in 5th and 6th on what was for both of them a first start at a mile just two weeks ago and both should be in the placing frame here.
Selections (11) Rising Prince (9) Capi Run (2) Pichichi (1) Malibu Ruler
Next Best 8, 4
Fast Start 1, 6
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. NAMYANG QUEEN – All seven starts have been at this distance for two wins. She has a fast start but weakened slightly when odds-on favourite last time. Big chance again.
2. SEOHAE – Shown little in two starts back from a lengthy period out Steps back in trip today but nothing to recommend.
3. MERLIN NEWS – First race of 2017. Looked surprisingly spritely when running 2nd (out of just four) in a trial a couple of weeks ago but should be an outsider here.
4. WONDERFUL CAPTAIN – Decent 4th of 10 over a mile two weeks ago. First time back at the minimum for a long time but an outsider today.
5. GERMAN JEONCHA – Went cold after a promising, if belated, start to his career. First run since January and first at the minimum distance, he could be an interesting outsider.
6. DONGNAM DAEBAK – Maiden win at the sixth attempt came over 1300M on March 24th. He was an outsider that day and is up in class here so may have plenty to find.
7. SAEROUN NA – Generally beats a few but does seem to have found his level at class 5. Will need improvement.
8. PEACE BERY – Yet to win in 27 and that run looks unlikely to end here but he did score an unexpected 2nd at class and distance in February so it’s not impossible.
9. KEUN MABEOP – Struggled in two outings at this level since getting his maiden win on New Year’s Eve.
10. KOREA HUNTER – Down in class after being uncompetitive for a long time at class 4. Won’t be easy but improvement possible at this distance.
11. LUCKY JILJU – Yet to score in 19, she was beaten by Saeroun Na last start and is another who seems to have found her level at this class.
Verdict: While (1) NAMYANG QUEEN disappointed punters who backed her into odds-on in a similar contest a month ago, she looks well worth another chance here and should lead all the way. (6) DONGNAM DAEBAK got his maiden win at the sixth time of asking last start having shown, it must be said, only limited ability in his previous five. He must be respected a little more today but it may be that (8) PEACE BERY, just a nose behind Namyang Queen in February comes the closest one more. He’s yet to win in twenty-seven and it’s questionable as to whether he’ll get a better chance. (5) GERMAN JEONCHA and (7) SAEROUN NA others who could feature.
Selections (1) Namyang Queen (8) Peace Bery (6) Dongnam Daebak (5) German Jeoncha
Next Best 7, 3
Fast Start 1, 9
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. MIRACLE YEONGUNG – Yet to finish any better than 6th and an outsider again today.
2. BRITE ACCOUNT – Has shown glimpses in five prior tries with a best of 3rd coming over 1000M. Runs on well but tends to leave a bit too much to do.
3. EUNGNIBYEOSU – Sent back to trial after a lacklustre effort over 1800M in February. Won his trial at the end of March and could be interesting here.
4. HI SEXY – Creditable 5th of 12 over 1200M on debut in February. Weakened a little late on but was beaten by some decent ones. Could go close.
5. SECRET ROSE – Ended last year with back to back 2nd places at class and distance but has gone awry in two starts so far this term. Improvement possible.
6. MABEE FLASHY – Got dropped in class at the end of last year but it’s had no effect. Well beaten in recent outings.
7. RICH MONEY – Winner of two of his first three, he had a hard time in tough company on his first try at this level over 1400M last month. Stepped back in trip today, he has a chance.
8. CHOEGANG POWERFUL – Has had a real stop-start career. Best finish of 3rd came in January
9. CHEONNYEON BIMA – 6th at a mile on March 24th was his best finish to date. Doesn’t inspire here.
10. YEONGGWANG SEUNGNI – First try at further than the minimum. Went poorly last time behind Miracle Yeongung but comes in fresh and can improve today.
Verdict: (7) RICH MONEY led for much of her first try at this level over 1400M three weeks ago but ended up weakening into 6th. Stepped back in trip and given another good start, she can win this. (4) HI SEXY put in a very encouraging debut in February behind the highly rated King Of Ace and is the second choice in what is a weaker event than on her debut. (2) BRITE ACCOUNT and (10) YEONGGWANG SEUNGNI have both shown glimpses and can be competitive with possibly (8) CHOEGANG POWERFUL the best of a limited rest.
Selections (7) Rich Money (4) Hi Sexy (2) Brite Account (10) Yeonggwang Seungni
Next Best 8, 5
Fast Start 1, 4, 7
Race 7: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. MANY DESCENDANT – Yet to score in seven but has come close, including a 2nd place at 1200M last start. First try at a mile today and should be in the hunt under a light weight.
2. PARK MAN – Maiden winner at the 11th time of asking on March 26th. It was at this distance and he beat three of these in the process. Big chance again.
3. THE BEE GOLD – 4th behind Major Sun and Back Tetra at class and distance on March 10th, he’s very nicely weighted and can go well again.
4. STYLISH – Up in class following a 2nd place at this distance at class 6 a month ago. He was well beaten by The Bee Gold in February so he has a bit to find but it’s not impossible.
5. KWAEDO SINHWA – Strong 2nd of 12 over 1300M last time out but beaten by Black Tetra and Cheonji Champ the time before. First try at a mile.
6. ADELEUI JINJU – 7th of 11 in what was essentially an Oaks trial last month. That was a bit tough but she has a 4th at class and distance and she’s a contender here.
7. BLACK TETRA – Two 3rd’s and a 5th in her last three, all at class and distance. She has been beaten by Park Man and Major Sun (twice) in those though so has a bit to find.
8. MAJOR SUN – Class and distance winner on March 10th ahead of Black Tetra and then 3rd behind Park Man last time. Doesn’t give weight away today and stable coming into form.
9. COMING AGAIN – 2nd on first try at this level over 1300M on March 10th. It’s just her fifth start today and she’s at a mile for the first time. Plenty of potential.
10. CHEONJI CHAMP – 2nd ahead of Black Tetra and then 4th behind Park Man and Major Sun at class and distance in his last two. Every chance of going close again.
11. DOCHI – Landed a 3rd place at this level over 1300M in February but hasn’t looked liely in two previous tries at a mile.
Verdict: Any number have claims here but we’ll go with (6) ADELEUI JINJU. She had a hard time in a tough race for fillies last time out but has shown potential at this distance. (2) PARK MAN is already a winner at this distance, getting his maiden victory on his eleventh start three weeks ago, beating three of these in the process, and he will be well backed for a repeat while (5) KWAEDO SINHWA and (9) COMING AGAIN are among others with live chances.
Selections (6) Adeleui Jinju (2) Park Man (9) Coming Again (5) Kwaedo Sinhwa
Next Best 7, 3, 8, 10
Fast Start 1, 4, 5
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. DAEHO CHUKJE – Up in class following back to back wins. All four previous starts have been at 1000M but he looks ready to step up here.
2. SEGI GANGJA – Since being beaten by Fivefold in February, he’s won two tough races. Sits handy and has a strong finish, he carries more weight today but can prevail again.
3. FIVEFOLD – Two from two and beat Segi Gangja on last appearance in February. That one has gone on to win twice since. Firmly in the frame here.
4. YUSEONG FIRST – Last of eleven on first try at this level last time out and plenty to find in this company. Should be on the early speed.
5. DAESTAR – Creditable enough 5th place in a competitive race at 1400M a month ago. Will need to improve to win but should beat a few.
6. SUNGANUI BEOPCHIK – Enters in consistent form having two 3rd places and a 2nd from his last three at this class. Slightly tougher company today but can go close again.
7. BAEDARI GOSU – An unexpected winner at class and distance in February, she couldn’t follow up on reappearance but can look for a place here.
8. GEOWIUI KKUM – Still eligible for class 5, he takes his chance here. Looks a tough ask.
9. ARIKKARI – Getting colder and colder in recent outings.
Verdict: (3) FIVEFOLD beat (2) SEGI GANGJA but four lengths back in February but since then the latter has gone on to win twice in challenging company. Fivefold has the weight advantage and will be on the early speed but Segi Gangja has proved a strong finisher and is marginally preferred to make it three in a row here. Also seeking three in a row is (1) DAEHO CHUKJE. Of the three, she perhaps has the most to find, trying this distance for the first time but can’t be ruled out. (5) DAESTAR and (6) SUNGANUI BEOPCHIK look best of the rest.
Selections (2) Segi Gangja (3) Fivefold (1) Daeho Chukje (6) Sunganui Beopchik
Next Best 5, 7
Fast Start 1, 3, 4
Race 9: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. DAMYANG HWANHO – Steps up in distance following a very creditable, if unexpected, 5th in a good race over 1200M in February. On speed early and interesting outsider.
2. KING OF ACE – Two for two and soundly defeated both First Mover and Cottinpickingood at 1400M three weeks ago. Up in distance and carries more weight but strong favourite.
3. SHARP AMERICAN – Has found this level tough in four attempts so far. Jockey booking impresses but little else does.
4. FIRST MOVER – Consistently outperforms expectations including last time when he ran 3rd behind King Of Ace. Light weight and don’t rule out again.
5. PANGPANG HERO – Down in class having been well back in last three efforts at class 2. This won’t be easy either.
6. COTTINPICKINGOOD – Peter Wolsley/Darryll Holland combination is worth following and this one was 4th behind King Of Ace and First Mover last time. Not impossible.
7. GOLD SUMMATION – Yet to win in five outings but has never been worse than 3rd. Just beaten a nose by the useful Triple Yeonggwang on his first start in a year. A chance.
8. ACE POWER – Out of a Korean Oaks winner, he consistently comes close. The only domestic-bred in the field, he comes in following a very solid 2nd place at the distance.
9. HEUMUT – Up in class having landed his maiden win at the seventh time of asking on March 24th. It was at this distance and while the odds are against a repeat, he can go well.
Verdict: Plenty of competitive ones here but we’ll have to go with (2) KING OF ACE to maintain his 100% record. He is up to a mile for the first time and carries 5kg more than when he beat (4) FIRST MOVER and (6) COTTINPICKINGOOD over 1400M last month but the manner of that victory and the way he ran on suggests there is more to come. Those two can be competitive again but a stiff challenge could come from (8) ACE POWER. He’s not exactly a prolific winner but the experienced colt is consistent and is under a light impost here. Also consistent, if less experienced, is (7) GOLD SUMMATION, only beaten a nose last start and surely not far away from a maiden win. Don’t also rule out Cottinpickingood’s stablemate (9) HEUMUT. He won a strong class 4 race over this distance last month and could go close again.
Selections (2) King Of Ace (8) Ace Power (9) Heumut (7) Gold Summation
Next Best 6, 4, 1
Fast Start 1, 2, 5, 7
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. BEOLMA SONYEON – A length behind Brachah on March 26th, his second consecutive 3rd place. Repeat is possible today.
2. GUMPO MIRACLE – Closed out last year with a 2nd place at a mile at this class and last time beat Sonata Zone over 1400M. Interesting outsider.
3. WIN GO MAN – Just the one win from thirty. Needs a fast start but has a lot of form he needs to overcome against these.
4. SONATA ZONE – A class 4 winner at a mile in December, he’s been ok in three starts at this level in challenging company. Not impossible.
5. PRIVATE DANCER – 7th in the March 26th race in what was his first outing of the year. Every chance of going better.
6. BLACK SAPPHIRE – Triple Nine’s sister has gone down by a nose in both her last two starts. She’s up in class here and will be competitive but may have to settle for 2nd again.
7. BRACHAH – He beat five of these at class and distance on March 26th on his way to 2nd place. It’s been a while since his most recent win but he’s consistent and the one to beat.
8. SANGSEUNG MODE – Last in the race on March 26th and has a lot of form to overturn today.
9. VALKYRIE – Has been beaten by plenty of these in recent starts and will need to find plenty here.
10. GANGHO DRIVE – Well back in each of her recent outings.
11. GANGHAN NAMJA – 6th in the March 26th race and 3rd the time before that beating a few of these. Could be in the placing frame.
Verdict: Six of these met over this distance on March 26th and it was (7) BRACHAH who came out on top that day and he’s the pick to go all the way here. Of the ones he beat, (1) BEOLMA SONYEON and (11) GANGHAN NAMJA look the most likely to be competitive here but the main danger is (6) BLACK SAPPHIRE. She comes in having been beaten a nose in both of her last two and while she is up in class today, should be very competitive.
Selections (7) Brachah (6) Black Sapphire (1) Beolma Sonyeon (11) Ganghan Namja
Next Best 4, 2
Fast Start 3, 6, 7