Temperatures soared to the high teens in Busan this week and while it will have cooled down a little bit by the time horses come under orders, we’re still in for a mild weekend so it’s the ideal time to come racing! Busan gets us underway with 11 Friday races from 11:30 to 18:00.
English race cards are here. Notes on overseas simulcast races are below:
Race 4: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 13:40 (Korean Time)
1. SILLAUI DALBAM – Led last time but weakened to finish a tailed off last. Unattractive here.
2. KWAEHAN TANSAENG – Shown promise. Finished midfield in first try at further than minimum last time.
3. BARONESS – Solid 3rd on debut over 1200M last month. Has claims.
4. MISS GANGJA –No better than 5th in 13 starts. Should beat a few but others will be better.
5. RACE LEADER – Debut-maker, not quick in trials, watching brief first up.
6. YEONGGWANGUI BADA – Yet to strike in 44 starts but can find minor money in this type of race.
7. HELLO VENUS – 4th on debut then 2nd last time over 1200M. Looks the one to beat.
8. COMING AGAIN – 4th on both prior starts including at this distance. Can go close.
9. HAESEONG SPEED – Improved slightly on second start last month but still much to find.
10. BAEDARI YEOWANG – Best so far was at this distance but well beaten by Coming Again last start.
11. FORTY ON QUEENS – Decent showing on return from nine months out in December but didn’t follow-up.
12. STAR GOLD –First try at further than the minimum.
Verdict: (7) HELLO VENUS has showed plenty in two starts to date will probably start as favourite for this all-filly affair but (3) BARONESS looked good in a surprisingly solid debut and having run on very nicely could be well suited here. (8) COMING AGAIN can improve on her two 4th places while (2) KWAEHAN TANSAENG can be given another chance.
|Selections||(3) Baroness (7) Hello Venus (8) Coming Again (2) Kwaehan Tansaeng|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Starters||1, 2, 9|
Race 5: Class 6 / 1600M / Allowance / KRW 22 Million / 14:30
1. MACH IMPACT – 5th behind Neulhaerang and King Code on Jan 20th. First time at this distance and improvement possible.
2. MILLION WINNER – Shown little in five outings. Step up in trip the only angle.
3. SUPER SONIC – Never better than 5th, generally runs on ok so could match that here.
4. THE BEE GOLD – 3rd at class and distance behind Stylish on Jan 13th. Slight weight advantage today and can overturn that result.
5. WANGGI – 5th behind Stylish and The Bee Gold on Jan 13th. Many lengths to find.
6. RISING PRINCE – Much improved 3rd on first try at this distance two weeks ago. This is tougher but has placing chances again
7. KING CODE – Three consecutive 4th place finishes including between Neulhaerang and Mach Impact last start. Can match.
8. PUREUN GANGJA – Stepping up to this distance last time didn’t help. Outsider.
9. PICHICHI – Shown little in two outings so far. Top jockey booking though and may improve.
10. STYLISH – 2nd at the distance on Jan 13th beating The Bee Gold and Wanggi. Carries slightly more today but still claims.
11. NEULHAERANG – 2nd ahead of three of these at 1300M on Jan 20th. A mile could suit.
12. DORAON GUNHAM – Not too far away in three prior tries, running on well. Not impossible.
Verdict: (4) THE BEE GOLD has a couple of lengths to find on (10) STYLISH but looks in with a solid shout to do that here. (11) NEULHAERANG beat three of these at 1300M last month and should beat plenty again while (12) DORAON GUNHAM should be suited by the extended distance and can run on well.
|Selections||(4) The Bee Gold (10) Stylish (12) Doraon Gunham (11) Neulhaerang|
|Next Best||1, 7, 5|
|Fast Starters||1, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 / 1000M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:20
1. ENTER WAY QUEEN – Weakened having led early two weeks ago. Can go better here.
2. WORLD MASTER – Drops back to the minimum for the first
3. PEACE BERY – Shown little in recent starts.
4. SKY WINNER – Behind three of these last start and plenty to find.
5. VEGA KHAN – Out of sorts of late but jockey booking will attract attention.
6. BYEOLBIT YEOHAENG – Not the same since returning from 9-month layoff. Step down in distance may help.
7. VICAR HOPE – Only beat two first up following 6 months off on Jan 15th. Should have come on for the run and be competitive here.
8. JEOKDOUI HWASIN – Yet to win in 12 but has come close recently in better races than this. Solid chance.
9. FOREVER VICTORY – Beaten by Jeokdoui Hwasin last start and others likely too quick here.
10. DANCER – Best performances have come at this distance but little to suggest form will improve.
11. NAMYANG QUEEN – Held her own in two starts at class and distance since getting her maiden victory and has beaten Jeokdoui Hwasin before. Big chance.
12. GRACE WINNER – Trialled up surprisingly well last week but can’t be recommended.
Verdict: It’s not a strong race and the form is with (11) NAMYANG QUEEN who has finished 5th in two outings at this class and distance since she got her maiden win last November. She has strong claims here. (8) JEOKDOUI HWASIN is the main danger, having beaten four of these last start and could claim a first victory while (1) ENTER WAY QUEEN and (2) WORLD MASTER can also figure.
|Selections||(11) Namyang Queen (8) Jeokdoui Hwasin (1) Enter Way Queen (2) World Master|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Starters||6, 7, 11|
Race 7: Class 5 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:10 (SIN)
1. BULBIT JEONSA – 5th behind Party Tonight and Smart King at class and distance on Jan 22nd. Can get closer today.
2. YONGWANGDAM – Up in class following maiden win at this distance on Jan 13th. Shows potential and can go well again.
3. GOLDEN KINGS – 6th in the Jan 22nd race behind Party Tonight. Another who can get closer today.
4. MAYA COUNTRY – A bit one-paced and may find this tough.
5. SMART KING – Much improved 4th behind Party Tonight on Jan 22nd. Took to the distance well but will have to find more to match that here.
6. DAMYANG CHEONSA – Very experienced and capable of on her day but not favoured.
7. KING STORM – 3rd at class and distance in January but disappointed on reappearance two weeks ago. Not impossible.
8. PARTY TONIGHT – Three 2nd places including when beating three of these on Jan 22nd. Has to be favourite to make the breakthrough here.
9. MAJOR SUN – Shown little in two starts following six months out.
10. DON’T STOP – 4th behind King Storm in January and capable of minor money here.
11. PANGPANG LEGEND – Lightly raced and inconsistent but has shown talent 3rd last start on New Year’s Eve and tries the distance for the first time.
12. NOBLE WARRIOR – Returns for the first time since last July. Trialled up ok and is a class and distance winner. May need this.
Verdict: (8) PARTY TONIGHT is the obvious favourite to score here having beaten three of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on January 22nd. Main danger is (2) YONGWANGDAM who has shown promise in three starts so far including winning at the distance on January 13th. She is up in class but two horses she beat last time (The Bee Gold & Stylish) will have raced earlier in the card and we may get some indication from their performance of what to expect. (1) BULBIT JEONSA and (3) GOLDEN KINGS were among those beaten by Party Tonight last time and can go closer today.
|Selections||(8) Party Tonight (2) Yongwangdam (1) Bulbit Jeonsa (3) Golden Kings|
|Next Best||10, 12, 11|
|Fast Starters||1, 8, 9|
Race 8: Class 4 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 16:35
1. CHOEGOUI SUNGAN – Only beat one home first up on Jan 20th. Can improve.
2. GOLD GUST – From a top stable but shown little in three outings.
3. SECRET RHAPSODY – First try at further than 1200M. Could be the surprise of the race.
4. DELMARUI GIJEOK – Not far away on debut and was decent enough on reappearance. Distance may suit.
5. DERBY ACE – Inconsistent in 8 prior starts with one win at 1200M. Can be competitive.
6. ILLYU STAR – Three wins from six with defeats coming in top Juvenile races last year. Winner 1400M and the favourite here.
7. EURI EURI – Two starts back from a layoff and with a new trainer but no obvious claims here.
8. MACH BOLT – Creditable showings at 1600M and 1800M in her last two starts. A chance.
9. MORNING KOREA – Yet to win in five but has come close behind good horses in his last three. Up in distance and is a contender.
10. POWER MESSENGER – No better than 5th in seven races. Unlikely to improve today.
11. OHHWAMA – 4th at the distance in December and not without ability. Others favoured.
12. SWEET MYEONGUN – Generally comes close but usually finds a couple too quick. Similar expected today
Verdict: (6) ILLYU STAR competed in in three top juvenile races at the end of last year and while he was beaten in all of them, demonstrated solid potential. He’s won his other outings and gets sent in here against imported opposition with a solid chance. (9) MORNING KOREA also tries the distance for the first time and can go close while (8) MACH BOLT should improve her placing after a couple of stiff tests in her last two outings. (12) SWEET MYEONGUN is always there or thereabouts and should be again.
|Selections||(6) Illyu Star (9) Morning Korea (8) Mach Bolt (12) Sweet Myeongun|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Starters||3, 6|
Race 9: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 17:00
1. SHORT STOP – Solid effort on return from lengthy lay-off two weeks ago and can come on for it today.
2. JAEGANDUNGI – Shown little since a 3rd place last November.
3. MISS HERO – Yet to win in 38 and unlikely to change that today.
4. KOREA HUNTER – Very experienced and can go better than he’s shown in his last two.
5. POWERFUL FORCE –Only beaten one in three starts since returning from a long time out.
6. DAEHOYEOJANGGUN – Has shown talent but gone cold of late.
7. YEONSEUNG JILJU – Much improved 2nd over 1200M on Jan 15th. Top jockey booking and should be involved.
8. TAEYANGUI SINHWA – 2nd to Two Two Raptor in January and then 4th at 1400M last start. Solid chance of overturning the form today.
9. QUEEN FASLI – Down in class but unlikely to be very competitive here either.
10. VICAR SARANG – Maiden win at the 20th time of asking on Jan 20th. Up in class but still with an outside chance of placing.
11. TWO TWO RAPTOR – Made all to beat Taeyangui Sinhwa by four lengths at 1300M on Jan 13th. Likely favourite to repeat.
12. MASTER KEY – Surprise 4th at 1000M on Jan 8th but normal service resumed last start.
Verdict: (11) TWO TWO RAPTOR and (8) TAEYANGUI SINHWA came home 1st and 2nd over 1300M on January 13th and they are the two standouts here. Two Two Raptor runs best with a fast start so the gate may not be ideal four lengths is plenty to find.(1) SHORT STOP was encouraging on his return two weeks ago and can be backed for improvement today while (7) YEONSEUNG JILJU and the up in class (10) VICAR SARANG are also contenders.
|Selections||(11) Two Two Raptor (8) Taeyangui Sinhwa (1) Short Stop (7) Yeonsung Jilju|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Starters||6, 7, 11|
Race 10: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million / 17:30
1. QUEEN TWO HEARTS – Back up in distance for the first time since she was a three-year-old, she has plenty to find.
2. SANGSEUNG JUNIOR – 4th of the 8 of these who ran against each other on Dec 11th. Should be close again.
3. SOUL BLADE – 2nd in the Dec 11th race and then beaten by Stealth when 6th in a good race at this distance two weeks ago.
4. WONIL JIJON – Beaten by plenty of these recently but improvement can’t be ruled out
5. NAGASINDA – Surprise winner of the Dec 11th race and followed up with a decent 4th last month. Needs to be respected.
6. MR. KELLY – Came 3rd at class and distance last September but only one outing since makes it difficult to recommend him here.
7. STEALTH – 3rd in last year’s Korean Derby. He did disappoint in that Dec 11th race but was 4th in a really good race at this distance last time, he looks the one to beat.
8. JILJUUI SIN – Three wins from seven including last start at this distance. Up in class today but he looks destined for class 1 anyway. Big chance.
9. GOLD MOON – A winner at this distance beating good filly Gold Blue. Found it tough on first try at this level though
10. CAP IN ALL – 3rd in good race at class and distance last September but little form since.
11. SEONGSAN PAECHEONG – 3rd in the Dec 11th race and can never be completely ruled out.
12. GYEOUOL WANGGUK – Two starts into a comeback and has shown improvement. Outside chance.
Verdict: While eight of these did race each other on December 11th at the distance with (5) NAGASINDA winning, we may not wish to read too much into it. (7) STEALTH disappointed that day but has since run well twice in good company and has serious claims today. (8) JILJUUI SIN looks a talent and can compete while the likes of (2) SANGSEUNG JUNIOR and (3) SOUL BLADE should also be close.
|Selections||(7) Stealth (8) Jiljuui Sin (2) Sangseung Junior (3) Soul Blade|
|Next Best||5, 12, 6, 9|
|Fast Starters||1, 9|
Race 11: Class 4 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 18:00
1. SUPER SWEET – 6th on first try at this class two weeks ago and any improvement today a bonus.
2. SSI F STAR – Solid effort in 4th last start and can be respected.
3. SUNGANUI BEOPCHIK – Really good 3rd place at 1400M last start beating a couple of these and can go well again.
4. TAMNA QUEEN – Returns following almost a year out. Trialled up encouragingly but best to take a watching brief first-up.
5. MUHAN SPEED – Little form of late.
6. GO JJANG – 6th behind Ssi F Star on Jan 20th at a mile. Improvement possible.
7. GORYEOUI KKUM – Up in class having beaten Super Sweet over 1200M in January. Not impossible but a bit to find.
8. WHITTE QUEENS – Out of sorts in a tough race on New Year’s Eve but has proven to be competitive at this class and in this company looks the one to beat.
9. BAEKDUBONG – Struggled on first go at this class but still promising and can’t be written off.
10. SEUNGNI GRAND – 62nd career start today and others will surely be quicker
11. ADELE STAR – Up in class following back to back 2nd places at 1200M and 1300M. Plenty of potential and a chance here.
12. CHEONUNMYEONG – Showed some improvement at a mile last start but needs to find a bit more here.
Verdict: In this company, (8) WHITTE QUEENS looks to be the one to beat. She got consecutive 4ths in tougher races than this last autumn and can overcome her disappointing run last start. (11) ADELE STAR has little to fear stepping up in class while (3) SUNGANUI BEOPCHIK’s run in 3rd place a month ago means he needs to be respected today. (2) SSI F STAR and (6) GO JJANG look best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Whitte Queens (11) Adele Star (3) Sunganui Beopchik (2) Ssi F Star|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Starters||1, 7, 11|