It’s been a freezing cold weekend so far but there’s plenty of racing to warm us up at both Seoul and Busan on Sunday. In the apital there are 11 races from 10:40 to 18:00 while on the south coast there are 6 from 12:35 to 17:00.
At Busan last year’s Oaks winner Ottug Ottugi faces off with Mayor’s Cup winner Beolmaui Kkum. However, both of them could well be beaten by the respective stars from the stables of Bart Rice and Thomas Gillespie. Buhwarui Banseok and Champ Line are both still on the rise and both have strong claims in the 2000M Championship Series race (see video of Buhwarui Banseok’s New Year’s Eve victory above).
English race cards for both meetings are here. Notes on Seoul races (which will be shown on Sky Racing in Australia) are below:
Race 1: Class 6 Allowance (1000M)
1. FANTASTIC QUEEN – Much to find based on her debut run when she was 10th of 11.
2. MUJEOGUI JEONSA – Debut-maker, nothing special in trials.
3. BAENONGI – 2nd in his trial in an adequate time. Dam won two of 13 in Korea.
4. SUPER CHANCE – Out of a Korean Oaks winner. Trial was average but top jockey booking.
5. EUMAK DAEJANG – 6th of 12 in a slow race at 1200M on Jan 14th. Look for improvement here.
6. HIGH ALYDAR – Led in his trial but weakened late on. Could be considered.
7. JAELONGI – 3rd of 12 at long odds on his second start on Jan 14th and will be much shorter today.
8. RICH YEOJANGGUN – Looked the best of the debut makers in trials.
9. SEUNGRIUI YEOSIN – 2nd on debut on Jan 8th beaten a length having led until a furlong out and is the favourite here.
10. JAEGUN GOCHU – Creditable trial. Dam won on at distance on debut.
11. SERA KHAN – 3rd in his trial, a long way behind the winner.
12. GOLD WINNER – Well beaten in both starts last year. Showed little when re-qualifying last month.
Verdict: It’s probably best to go with experience here and (9) SEUNGRIUI YEOSIN showed enough on debut to suggest he knows what’s he’s doing and should take some beating. (8) RICH YEOJANGGUN looked competent in running 2nd in his trial and if he brings that to the races, can challenge. (7) JAELONGI has to be respected following his vast improvement last time, six months after his debut. Hard to know what to make of the rest with (3) BAENONGI perhaps most likely.
Selections (9) Seungriui Yeosin (8) Rich Yeojanggun (7) Jaelongi (3) Baenongi
Next Best 10, 5, 4, 3
Fast Starters 9, 8 (more…)