Sunday is President’s Cup Day at Seoul. The big race is the highlight of 11 contests at Seoul from 10:40 to 18:00. Meanwhile at Busan there is a competitive 6-race card running from 12:50 to 17:05.
See here for a runner-by-runner preview of the President’s Cup. Full English race cards can be found here and see below for a race-by-race preview of the whole day (click continue reading):
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 / 1000M / Allowance / KRW 60 Million / 10:40
Five first-timers and five with prior experience here and we’ll go with the experience. (7) K KING has shown improvement over his two outings to date and can keep that going here. He should lead from the gate and can win. (8) CHARMING GOOD was an encouraging 4th in a tight race on debut last month and also improve today while (4) RAON ROCKY also showed promise when racing 5th on debut on October 2nd. Among the debut makers, (2) BEST CAMP looked the pick in trials.
Selections: (7) K King (2) Best Camp (8) Charming Good (4) Raon Rocky
Next Best: 6, 10
Fast Starters: 2, 4, 7
Start-200M: 8, 7, 9, 4, 1
200M-Finish: 1, 7, 8, 9, 4
click “more” to continue…it’s too long to keep on the front!
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 / 1000M / Allowance / KRW 60 Million / 11:05
Five of the seven start for the first time but once more it is one of the ones with prior experience who will be favoured and that will be (7) RAON KINGDOM, who improved on his second start last month and should stay on a little better today. Debut-makers (1) LEAD KING and (3) SEOUL BOLT looked solid enough in trials to suggest that they can be backed first up as, to a lesser extent, did (4) STAR POWER. Among the others with experience, (2) SUPER TRICK looks most likely to improve.
Selections: (7) Raon Kingdom (3) Seoul Bolt (1) Lead King (2) Super Trick
Next Best: 4
Fast Starters: 1,2, 3, 7
Start-200M: 7, 6, 2
200M-Finish: 6, 2, 7
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 11:30
Bit of an ordinary lot here but (4) EL PATRON looked decent returning from six months out in October running 5th in a slow race at this distance and can come on for that. Stable’s not in form but she can change that here. (2) CLEAR FIRST and (6) SHARP PRINCESS will likely be on speed early and can stay on for the closing stages as should (11) I AM CAPTAIN who has also shown enough to suggest he can beat plenty of these. (5) RAON VICTORIA and (8) GOLDIE EARTH the best of a limited rest.
Selections: (4) El Patron (2) Clear First (11) I Am Captain (6) Sharp Princess
Next Best: 5, 9
Fast Starters: 2, 6, 9, 11
Start-200M: 2, 4, 6, 5, 1
200M-Finish: 4, 5, 6, 9, 11
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 / 1000M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 11:55
Competitive race for fillies here and having proved she can be competitive at this level with a 3rd place over the distance on October 16th, beating a couple of her rivals here, (10) AEMA BISANG is the pick to score. The draw isn’t ideal but she is a fast starter and can overcome it. Also with a fast start and unfavourable draw is (11) DONGHAE VICAR. She’s up in class following her maiden win at the 12th time of asking last month and should be competitive. (1) VET TIME ran badly when well supported over 1300M a month ago but gets another chance today and may appreciate being dropped back in distance. (2) EVA ROAD and (5) MORNING MAMBO look to be the pick of the rest.
Selections: (10) Aema Bisang (11) Donghae Vicar (1) Vet Time (2) Eva Road
Next Best: 5, 9
Rating: 11, 1=10, 2=8
Fast Starters: 5, 10, 11
Start-200M: 10, 11, 5, 8, 9
200M-Finish: 7, 3, 4, 5, 1
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13:15
(5) HUIMANG POINT was well backed last time at class and distance on October 23rd but got a bump at the start and never really got into things after that. Champion jockey Moon Se Young takes over today and is expected to be patient and Huimang Point can finish strongly. (2) CALLING KING is yet to win but is up in class following three consecutive 3rd place finishes and can be competitive here while (8) SUNKISSED also comes up in class today. He was a good winner over 1000M at the end of September and while he is up in distance as well for the first time, should go well. (1) HAE DAP was sent back to trial after laying inwards last time. He still managed to finish 2nd and can be considered here as can (6) CHERRY PICKER.
Selections: (5) Huimang Point (2) Calling King (8) Sunkissed (1) Hae Dap
Next Best: 6, 10
Rating: 2, 4, 1=5=11
Fast Starters: 1, 2, 8
Start-200M: 11, 4, 2, 6, 3
200M-Finish: 8, 1, 5, 2, 3
Busan Race 2: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13:40
(5) BEONGGEULBEONGGEUL is up in class following her maiden win at the third time of asking three weeks ago. She also tries further than the minimum distance for the first time but there’s no reason why this shouldn’t suit. She has a strong finish and can win under Francisco Da Silva. Peter Wolsley’s (2) BULKKOT CHEONGCHUN showed signs of returning to form last start and looks the main danger although (6) ARIKKARI enters in good shape and should find the money once more. (3) WONDER BOY and (4) MISS BLUE best of the rest.
Selections: (5) Beonggeulbeonggeul (2) Bulkkot Cheongchun (6) Arikkari (4) Miss Blue
Next Best: 3, 1
Rating: 4, 1=3, 5, 6
Fast Starters: 1, 7, 9
Start-200M: 8, 7, 9, 4, 2
200M-Finish: 5, 4, 6, 8, 2
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 14:05
(9) SUN MASTER disappointed in a decent race at domestic class 4 last month but gets sent in here against unproven imported opposition here and can go much better under what should be a front-running ride. Of that unproven opposition, (10) SOCASTEE was 5th on debut and can improve while the debut-making (2) ROYAL AMOS impressed in trials and can be backed first up here. (8) CUPID BOY and (11) SOJUNGHAN MANNAM look the most likely among the rest.
Selections: (9) Sun Master (2) Royal Amos (10) Socastee (8) Cupid Boy
Next Best: 11, 1
Rating: 12, 2=5=10, 1
Fast Starters: 6, 9, 12
Start-200M: 12, 9, 1, 11, 10
200M-Finish: 8, 10, 1, 7, 9
Busan Race 3: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:30
(6) KKOKDAEGI dead-heated for 2nd over 1200M two weeks ago and looks ready to win again for Busan’s top stable. He should get on the early speed and will be hard to get past. (9) INDIAN CHIEF disappointed when favourite last start but surely has a class 5 win in him and gets another chance here while (2) SHARP QUEEENS has been consistent in three starts at this level and can improve on her 4th from last time. (4) CHOEGANG OFFICER didn’t go well on his first try at the level last month but is another who can be given a second chance here while (8) BAENGMANDORI looks best of the rest.
Selections: (6) Kkokdaegi (9) Indian Chief (4) Choegang Officer (2) Sharp Queens
Next Best: 8, 10
Rating: 5, 3=6=9, 2
Fast Starters: 4, 5, 6
Start-200M: 4, 6, 9, 10, 5
200M-Finish: 7, 8, 6, 4, 2
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:55
(1) DIDORPHIN keeps getting well backed and he keeps on just falling short. He’s raced 12 times now and is yet to win but has never finished any worse than 4th. He can make it 13th time lucky today. Should he manage to find between one and three others too quick yet again – and history suggests he might – then (5) JOY beat him last time out and could well do so once more while (12) SUPER PUNCH comes in following back to back 2nd places at class and distance and can overcome an awkward draw to get on the early speed. A class and distance winner on October 9th, (7) YONGDUSAN must be respected today while (11) SOKDO SHINHWA was narrowly defeated by Joy and Didorphin last time and can get close again today.
Selections: (1) Didorphin (5) Joy (12) Super Punch (7) Yongdusan
Next Best: 11, 10
Rating: 12, 1, 6, 9, 2
Fast Starters: 7, 11, 12
Start-200M: 1, 12, 5, 11, 7
200M-Finish: 10, 3, 8, 6, 11
Busan Race 4: Class 4 /1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 15:20
Bart Rice’s (7) JANGGUNEUI HUYE has been sent off as favourite in both her last two starts and has come 3rd on both occasions. She’ll be favourite again today and it should be third time lucky under the in-form jockey Yonekura Satoshi. (10) FIRST MOVER and (2) LADY CHAMP finished 2nd and 3rd respectively in a similar event on October 16th and will be among the main dangers while (3) DERBY ACE got his maiden win three weeks ago coming from well off the pace to beat a small field over 1200M and he should be respected here. Of the others, (6) WONDERFUL CAPTAIN looks the most likely.
Selections: (7) Jangguneui Huye (2) Lady Champ (3) Derby Ace (10) First Mover
Next Best: 6, 11
Rating: 3=7, 10, 5, 4
Fast Starters: 2, 4, 7
Start-200M: 4, 7, 9, 3, 2
200M-Finish: 3, 6, 1, 5, 8
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 15:45
Very competitive race in which (6) HAPPY TODAY is the slight pick having been a solid 2nd in a decent race over 1400M three weeks ago. (8) WANGUI DAERO and (11) SMOKEY VALE are both yet to win but should be competitive in this company with the latter likely to be on the early speed while (3) BANYA DONGHAENG has shown promise in just two outings so far and can improve here. (9) JWACHEONGNYONG was a surprise 3rd last up, coming very close to winning with a late run from off the pace and can do similar here.
Selections: (6) Happy Today (8) Wangui Daero (3) Banya Donghaeng (11) Smokey Vale
Next Best: 9, 12
Rating: 4, 5, 6-12, 8
Fast Starters: 5, 10, 11
Start-200M: 7, 3, 11, 4, 6
200M-Finish: 12, 3, 6, 11, 4
Busan Race 5: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 16:10
Kim Young Kwan’s (4) ROCKET BLADE will be favourite here. He beat two of these when running 2nd in a good race at class and distance on October 21st. He’s not the fastest of starters but has a strong finish and can win here. (3) BONGHWANGUI KKUM is up in class following back to back wins and should push the favourite close while also up in class is (1) CHALLAUI JUIN for the Rice/Satoshi combination. She could well get an uncontested lead early. (5) OCEAN LINE and (7) SSI F STAR are also capable.
Selections: (4) Rocket Blade (3) Bonghwangui Kkum (1) Challaui Juin (7) Ssi F Star
Next Best: 5
Rating: 4, 5, 2=3, 1
Fast Starters: 1
Start-200M: 1, 3, 5, 4, 6
200M-Finish: 4, 7, 5, 2, 6
Seoul Race 9: Class Open – The President’s Cup (KOR G1) / 2000M / Weight for Age / KRW 700 Million / 16:40
One of the richest races of the year sees Triple Crown winner (8) POWER BLADE face off once more with stablemate (6) TRIPLE NINE. The elder horse got the better of it when they ran 3rd and 4th in the Korea Cup in September but Power Blade was an impressive winner of the Gujke Sinmun Cup in Busan last month and he could turn the tables here. Those two will dominate the betting but (1) SUCCESS STORY can’t be ruled out. Yet to win in three races since returning from Dubai, he ran Triple Nine a close 2nd on his last start on the Owners’ Cup over a mile in August. This is his first race since being gelded, he will set the pace and he could go all the way. The others have an awful lot to find but (3) ZETTABYTE, 2nd to Power Blade in two legs of the Crown and is a talent while among the horses from host track Seoul (2) SOTONG SIDAE is the best.
Selections: (8) Power Blade (6) Triple Nine (1) Success Story (3) Zettabyte
Next Best: 2, 9
Rating: 6, 1, 8, 2, 7
Fast Starters: 1, 8, 9, 12
Start-200M: 1, 8, 10, 9, 7
200M-Finish: 6, 12, 2, 7, 5
Busan Race 6: Class 1 / 2200M / Handicap / KRW 120 Million / 17:05
Being one of the few races run over Busan’s current maximum race distance of 2200M makes this essentially a Grand Prix Stakes trial. Peter Wolsley’s (7) DIFERENT DIMENSION has developed into one of the top horses in the country with a string of impressive scalps this year including Triple Nine over 1800M and last time, New York Blue and Gamdonguibada at 1200M. The distance may be a concern but of course, none of this field have raced over it before. (5) HEBA goes round again and will, as ever, give an honest account of herself but she was one of four of these who finished behind Thomas Gillespie’s (6) CHAMP LINE over 2000M on September 2nd that one looks to be the main danger to the favourite. (2) MIRACLE LINE and (10) DYNAMIC DASH also have claims in a solid race.
Selections: (7) Diferent Dimension (6) Champ Line (5) Heba (2) Miracle Line
Next Best: 10, 3, 4
Rating: 7, 10, 5, 3, 1
Fast Starters: 3, 7, 8
Start-200M: 3, 7, 2, 10, 8
200M-Finish: 7, 4, 5, 6, 10
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 17:30
Another very competitive race. (11) DEUMJIKI beat (2) JERAHAN as the pair raced 4th and 5th over class and distance on October 15th. They can compete for higher finishes today with filly Jerehan being favoured. (9) ARGO FLYING beat three of these when 3rd at class and distance last time. One of those was (8) DAEBAGI, who consistently wins money at this level and should do so again. Busan-based jockey Seo Seung Un takes the ride on (10) EOJJUGURI. She should be on speed early and can improve on her 5th place in a tough race at 1400M last month.
Selections: (2) Jerahan (10) Eojjuguri (9) Argo Flying (8) Daebagi
Next Best: 11, 6
Rating: 8, 1=2, 7, 10
Fast Starters: 2, 7, 8, 10
Start-200M: 2, 10, 5, 8, 9
200M-Finish: 1, 6, 2, 4, 7
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million / 18:00
(6) JEONSEUNG DAESE has won just once in thirteen outings but following a solid 2nd place in a stiff contest at class and distance on October 22nd, should start a warm favourite to go one better today. He can lead from gate to wire. Main danger is (8) SUPER COMMANDO, who drops back in distance after a 3rd place in a really good contest over 1900M last month and looks to have plenty of scope for further development. (4) THE QUEEN SILVER is another who drops back in distance and will be a threat while a return to form for (2) SIMSIN JIRYEO and (3) I AM FOR YOU is also possible.
Selections: (6) Jeonseung Daese (8) Super Commando (4) The Queen Silver (2) Simsin Jiryeo
Next Best: 3, 9
Rating: 6, 5, 4, 8, 2
Fast Starters: 5, 6, 8
Start-200M: 5, 6, 8, 3, 2
200M-Finish: 9, 8, 2, 7, 4