It’s a hot weekend on the peninsula with temperatures reaching the mid-thirties during Saturday’s twilight card at Seoul. It’s daytime racing today. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:50 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 13:00 to 17:00.
English language racecards can be found here. Notes on selected races below:
Busan Race 1: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13:00 (KST)
Three of these are up in class and Kim Young Kwan’s (3) GABO STAR is favoured to go on to take victory once more having been impressive eon his return from surgery in June. (7) ELISHA and the more experienced (4) KARIN JJANG may also be considered following their maiden wins over 1000M but do have slightly more to find. Among those with experience at this class, (2) MUJEOK VICAR, a good 2nd ahead of (1) BIHO JILJU last time, looks the main danger.
Selections (3) Gabo Star (2) Mujeok Vicar (7) Elisha (4) Karin Jjang
Next Best 1, 6, 5
Fast Starters 1, 3, 5
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 13:25 (KST)
There are four debut-makers here but we’ll look to the experienced ones first. (4) REWARD HIGH has beaten several of these in recent outings and looks to be ready to win following a 4th and a 3rd from his last two. He’ll look to come from just off the pace. (9) KAIZEN FORCE comes in with very similar form and looks the main danger – she actually beat Reward High back in April. (12) SENSATIONAL faded badly last start when well backed but can be given another chance today. (7) CARRIER has been beaten by Reward High in each of her last three starts but can beat plenty while among the debut-makers, the most promising look to be (2) HIPPOCRENE and (3) SPIRIT OF HANSEN.
Selections (4) Reward High (9) Kaizen Force (2) Hippocrene (12) Sensational
Next Best 7, 3, 10, 8
Outsiders 1, 5, 6, 11
Fast Starters 5, 11, 12
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:10 (KST)
(7) ÉCLAIR HUMOR was a disappointing 7th on his first try at this class and distance at the end of May but comes in reasonably fresh and showed enough promise in prior outings to be given another chance in this modest company. (2) PERFECT LOVER likewise didn’t go well in his first at class 5 and should improve. The others look distinctly underwhelming with perhaps (1) RISING FUTURE and (8) ROLLING STAR most able to improve.
Selections (7) Éclair Humor (2) Perfect Lover (1) Rising Future (8) Rolling Star
Next Best 3, 4, 5, 6
Fast Starters 1, 7
Busan Race 3: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 14:30 (KST)
After back to back 3rd place finishes, (8) HWANHUIUI BYEOL is a warm favourite to record his third win here. He will look to lead from the gate and could well go all the way. (5) AJU PUJIMHAN has been back down at class 4 for two races now and one suspects she won’t be at this level for long and she looks the main danger along with (6) SECRET ROSE, who struggled at domestic class 4 last start but looks nicely in here. (2) TAEGWON CHAMP comes in following a much improved 2nd last start and can build on that here.
Selections (8) Hwanhuiui Byeol (5) Aju Pujimhan (6) Secret Rose (2) Taegwon Champ
Next Best 7, 9, 4
Outsiders 1, 3
Fast Starters 8, 9
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:55 (KST)
(5) SUPER ANGEL has won just once in nineteen prior outings but she hasn’t missed the money in seven starts so far in 2016 and following 2nd places in her last two, beating a couple of these along the way, she’s favoured to get back in the winner’s circle here. Third at class and distance on June 11th, (9) LAKE LOUISE looks well placed to go better here while (6) SO ARA YEOWANG, who could only manage 9th behind Super Angel last start, can go better here. (7) HUIYANGSAN and (3) SINBIJEONGSANG look best of the rest.
Selections (5) Super Angel (9) Lake Louise (6) So Ara Yeowang (3) Sinbijeongsang
Next Best 7, 1
Outsiders 2, 4, 8
Fast Starters 4, 7, 8, 9
Busan Race 4: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 15:20 (KST)
Competitive race with two standouts. (3) STEAL THE SHOW WHY was last seen running 6th in the Korean Oaks last month. She’s a proven money winner at this level and dropping back to a sprint distance should be hard to beat. (5) MAD POWER saw his unbeaten record come to an end last start, his first try at this level but he should have come on for the experience. He was beaten by (1) ILMANGMUJE among others that day and his 2nd in the race, albeit a long way behind a good winner, also showed promise. Apprentice jockey Choi Eun Gyeong has her first ever race ride on (8) FOR MY SIS and Bart Rice’s mare is a reliable type who is more than capable of finding some prize money. Best of the rest is (6) WONDERFULCHEONGHAE.
Selections (3) Steal The Show Why (5) Mad Power (8) For My Sis (1) Ilmangmuje
Next Best 6, 2
Outsiders 4, 7
Fast Starters 3, 5
Busan Race 5: Class 3 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 16:10 (KST)
(5) ACME returned from almost six months out on June 10th to run a creditable 3rd at class and distance. He should have come on for that run and has every chance of making all here. (4) CAP IN ALL missed almost two years but finally showed signs of getting back some of his old form when racing 2nd over 1400M on June 19th and can build on that today while (6) SANBANG TRAIL also looks nicely in here dropping back in distance after a couple of goes at further. (2) MACHU PICCHU tries the distance for the first time and may be considered while (7) WINNING NUMBER has suddenly burst into form at age 5 and while up in class today, he’s nicely in the weights and could score an unlikely third consecutive victory.
Selections (5) Acme (4) Cap In All (6) Sanbang Trail (7) Winning Number
Next Best 2, 1, 3
Fast Starters 3, 5
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million / 16:35 (KST)
(7) JEWLERY PARK is up in class having won four of six starts to date and looks to have good potential. The trouble is, she’s racing at 1400M and last time she did that she was beaten (4) SINGGEUREOUNBOM and while it’s been a long time since the older filly actually won a race, she has come very close recently and will be favoured here. Those two should dominate the betting but (6) SMART CAPTAIN was a class and distance winner last start – he carries five extra Kilograms today – and (3) DAEDOLPUNG and (5) ARGO CHAMP could make for interesting outsiders.
Selections (4) Singgereounbom (7) Jewelry Park (3) Daedolpung (6) Smart Captain
Next Best 5, 1, 2
Fast Starters 2, 3, 7
Busan Race 6: Class 1 / 2000M / Handicap / KRW 105 Million / 17:00 (KST)
(1) DIFERENT DIMENSION beat Triple Nine by a head – and three of his rivals here too – on May 22nd and despite carrying equal top-weight, is a deserving favourite here. He’s up to 2000M for the first time but that should suit. That May race was Diferent Dimension’s first at class 1 and the time before, in April he beat (5) DONGBANG DAERO by four-lengths over 1800M at class 2. Dongbang Daero himself steps up in class and distance today following a commanding five-length win on May 20th. In 2nd place that day was (7) SAENGIL GIPPEUM and he in turn has now been promoted to this level after a good win last month. Very nicely in the weights here, Saengil Gippeum is a contender. (10) NOBODY CATCH ME may still have a win in him at some stage but at joint top-weight here it is going to be difficult once again while (11) BATHSHEBA PARK always gives a good account of himself and should be close by.
Selections (1) Diferent Dimension (5) Dongbang Daero (7) Saengil Gippeum (10) Nobody Catch Me
Next Best 11, 3, 8, 2
Outsiders 4, 6, 9
Fast Starters 1, 6, 7
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million / 17:30 (KST)
It took (9) SHAMROCKER eight goes to get his maiden victory but since trying longer distances he’s now won two out of his last three and despite being up in class today is the pick to score once more. He’ll try to come from off an early pace that’s likely to be set by (3) LION STAR, who comes in following back to back 3rd places and can go well again here. Main danger though could be (5) THE QUEEN SILVER, a class 3 winner at this distance in April and then 2nd in last month’s Selangor Turf Club Trophy. (6) LUCKY MUSIC disappointed in that race but can be given another chance today while (10) ILJIN HWARANG looks best of the rest.
Selections (9) Shamrocker (5) The Queen Silver (3) Lion Star (6) Lucky Music
Next Best 10, 1, 7, 11
Outsiders 2, 4, 8, 12
Fast Starters 3, 4, 10
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 / 2000M / Handicap / KRW 110 Million / 18:00 (KST)
(1) PINOT NOIR won a Listed and then a Graded race in February and March this year and returns to the track for the first time since. She usually aims to the the front rounding the final turn and has a strong finish. Another very experienced mare, (6) MY DAY looks to be the main danger. She hasn’t won in five outings in 2016 but has been coming closer and looks to be in form. (7) SAMJEONG JEGUK has had a couple of months off since meeting trouble in running last start and should go better with the up in class (5) DIVINE SEEK looking best of the rest.
Selections (1) Pinot Noir (6) My Day (7) Samjeong Jeguk (5) Divine Seek
Next Best 3, 4, 2
Fast Starters 3, 5