Eight of Busan’s best three-year-olds have traveled up to Seoul to contest the final leg of the Triple Crown on Sunday but it is at the South Coast track itself where the weekend’s action gets underway on Friday with 10 races from 14:30 to 21:00.
The Unions are strong here and their jockey members who have the temerity to ride in a big Stakes race at the other track on a Sunday are not permitted to ride at their own track on the other days. That means a number of top jockeys are absent on Friday. That leaves Seo Seung Un as the jockey to follow this afternoon although the Italian pair of Paolo Aragoni and Pasquale Borelli have opportunities too.
English racecards are here. Here are notes on all races 1-10:
Race 1: Class 6 / 1000M / Allowance (2yo) / KRW 55 Million / 14:30 (KST)
Nine of these two-year-olds make their racecourse debut here. (2) SEGI GANGJA is a half-brother to top sprinter Cheongu and looked good in a trial last month. He’ll be one of the favourites as will (3) ADELEUI BOM, a trial winner in May and (9) GOLD FLYING. The other fancied ones have raced before albeit only once. (4) FIRST SUN and (10) ZENITH COUNTY were 2nd and 4th respectively at this distance a month ago with both showing promise. The former is favoured today.
Selections (4) First Sun (2) Segi Gangja (3) Adeleui Bom (10) Zenith County
Next Best 9, 7, 5, 1, 11
Outsiders 6, 8, 12
Fast Starters 2, 10, 12
Race 2: Class 6 / 1200M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 14:55 (KST)
Weak race and in such circumstances we’ll give another chance to (8) RED YOUNG MYEONGUN who hasn’t raced since a dreadful performance back on March 25th. He’d shown potential before that and looked ok in a recent trial and with a top trainer and jockey combination makes him favourite. (6) DYNAMIC DIVA struggled a little on a sloppy track last start when reasonably well backed and can improve today while (2) BOUND QUEENS should have progressed from an indifferent debut last month. (5) HWAJEONG and debut-maker (9) URI GIPPEUM are others to look out for.
Selections (8) Red Young Myeongun (6) Dynamic Diva (2) Bound Queens (9) Uri Gippeum
Next Best 5, 7, 1
Outsiders 3, 4
Fast Starters 6
Race 3: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 15:45 (KST)
He’s not been too far away and it’s about time (8) DORAON GASOKDO stepped up here. Jockey Borelli should take the initiative and lead and if he does, he can win. (2) CHEONGMA DAEJANGUN was a solid 5th of 12 last time out, is a strong finisher and so long as he isn’t left with too much to do, can go close while (7) TAEGWON MISO is similar and also looks to have scope for improvement. (9) GOYOHAN JILJU was an unexpected 4th last time out and is capable of finding the money in this company while we will look for improvement from (1) GERMAN JEONCHA who was a touch disappointing when well supported on debut last month.
Selections (8) Doraon Gasokdo (1) German Jeoncha (2) Cheongma Daejangun (9) Goyohan Jilju
Next Best 7, 5, 4
Outsiders 3, 6
Fast Starters 1, 8
Race 4: Class 4 / 1000M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 16:35 (KST)
(6) THE QUEEN beat a couple of these when easily winning a modest race at class and distance back in April and while she has been slightly disappointing when well-backed in two starts since, she is the fastest o these and can return to winning ways here. The main dangers look to be (3) SAEBYEOK BADA, who actually beat The Queen in May and should be happy back at 1000M today and (9) BIO BLUE who raced for the first time this year two weeks ago and should build on the 5th place he scored that day. Third behind The Queen in April, (1) GIPPEUM HAE is capable of finding the money at this class while (7) GOLD SKY gives apprentice jockey Jung Do Yun his first ever race ride and is not without a chance.
Selections (6) The Queen (9) Bio Blue (3) Saebyeok Bada (7) Gold Sky
Next Best 1, 8
Outsiders 2, 4, 5
Fast Starters 2, 6
Race 5: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 17:25 (KST)
(2) LIMITLESS WIN won on debut last year before suffering an injury and undergoing surgery. He returned in June with a 5th place, looked good in a trial last week and can win here. It won’t be easy. (4) CHOEGANG ADVENTURE has finished no worse than 3rd in four outings to date and was 2nd in a good event at class and distance on June 17th, having led for much of the race. He’ll be on speed again here and is a big danger. (5) REALLY ONE has beaten both Limitless Win and Choegang Adventure and must be respected here while (1) CAPE MAGIC is up in class following his maiden win and should be competitive. (6) CHOA may also be considered for at least a place.
Selections (2) Limitless Win (4) Choegang Adventure (1) Cape Magic (5) Really One
Next Best 6, 9, 12, 3
Outsiders 7, 8, 10, 11
Fast Starters 3, 4, 6, 12
Race 6: Class 5 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 18:05 (KST)
(1) THE STARS and (2) BAEDARI HAENGUN were 2nd and 3rd – a full twelve lengths behind a very good winner – over a mile last time and they look to be the top picks here. Both like to come from off the pace with The Stars slightly favoured once more. (9) LUCKY HANMA is getting to grips with this class, could well get an uncontested lead in a race which doesn’t contain much early speed and can go close while (3) KWAEHAN YEONGUNG struggled last start but can be given another chance here. He struggled in a race in which (7) SHARP WIN was the shock winner. He must be respected today but he does carry an extra 5kg today and the odds are against him repeating. The up-in-class (6) EUNGNIBYEOSU makes for an interesting outsider.
Selections (1) The Stars (2) Baedari Haeungun (6) Eungnibyeosu (9) Lucky Hanma
Next Best 7, 3, 5, 4, 8
Fast Starters 9
Race 7: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 18:45 (KST)
(3) SAMIL STAR beat (5) BLUE STORM by half a length at 1300M on June 24th. Samil Star was a 25/1 outsider that day and while he’ll be nothing like that long today, Blue Storm can overturn that form. He led until close to home and back at 1200M can get it right this time. Another fast starter is (9) POKPUNGUI JEWANG. The Aussie-bred colt was a class and distance winner on June 19th, beating a couple of these in the process and can continue his good form today. (1) SANGSEUNG MULGYEOL and (2) DAEHO GANGJA look best of the rest.
Selections (5) Blue Storm (3) Samil Star (9) Pokpungui Jewang (1) Sangseung Mulgyeol
Next Best 2, 12, 11, 10
Outsiders 4, 6, 7, 8
Fast Starters 2, 5, 9
Race 8: Class 4 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 19:35 (KST)
(3) WISH ME LUCK was a twelve-length winner at this distance on June 17th (beating The Stars and Baedari Haengun, who we saw in race 6 into 2nd and 3rd) and following a 14-point bump in rating, is accordingly up in class here. He’s favourite to lead all the way again here although he does face (4) OCEAN LINE, who beat him at this distance in May. Bart Rice’s (1) DAEHANUIMYEONGSEONG comes in after back to back 3rd place finishes at this class and equalling those should be a minimum requirement today while (10) FIRST KING and (11) HWARYEOHANHAMSEONG are both capable at this class.
Selections (3) Wish Me Luck (1) Daehanuimyeongseong (4) Ocean Line (10) First King
Next Best 11, 6, 7, 9
Outsiders 2, 5, 8, 12
Fast Starters 3, 8
Race 9: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 20:30 (KST)
(1) MIRACLE BOLT was over-matched – and going significantly further than suitable – when a distance last in the Korean Oaks on June 12th. Back down at a sprint distance today, she should be a different prospect. (2) RISING CHAMP won on his second start back last December but was then injured and underwent surgery. He looked very sharp when breezing through a trial at the end of last month and looks dangerous first-up here. (4) ULTRA MAGIC is up in class following a battling win at this distance in June 26th while (7) ILLYUCHEON and (8) KWAEHAN JILJU look best of the rest.
Selections (2) Rising Champ (1) Miracle Bolt (8) Kwaehan Jilju (4) Ultra Magic
Next Best 7, 5
Outsiders 3, 6
Fast Starters 1, 2
Race 10: Class 2 / 1900M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 21:00 (KST)
(1) BAEKDU was a very impressive winner on his first try at class 2 on June 24th and while he is top weight here, he looks in fine form and can win again. Peter Wolsley’s (5) TURNPIKE is up in class following two eye-catching successes, both at this distance and he looks to be the main danger. Baekdu and Turnpike both beat (6) DAEJONGCHEON in May but that one finally got his maiden win at the fourteenth attempt on June 24th. He is up in class here but he is consistent and should be competitive. Last year’s Derby winner (3) YEONGCHEON ACE, still yet to return to the winner’s circle since that day and (4) CHEOGANGIJI are others to look out for.
Selections (5) Turnpike (1) Baekdu (6) Daejongcheon (3) Yeongcheon Ace
Next Best 4, 8, 9
Outsiders 2, 7
Fast Starters 5