It’s Friday and it’s Busan! 10 races from 12:40 to 17:00. English racecards can be found here. Here are notes on races 2-10:
Race 2: Class 6 / 1000M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 13:25 (KST)
(4) HAEGA TTEUNDA has shown a little more than her rivals here in three starts prior to today with a 2nd place last start on April 1st being her best so far. It was the first time she had got off to a good start and if she can do that again, she can win. (5) ENTER WAY QUEEN was a much improved 2nd last start over 1200M and she, along with (12) BUGYEONG DOLPUNG, who has come close in each of her last three, looks to be the main danger. (9) OH DAEBAK should be better back at 1000M today while in such a weak race the sole debut-maker (6) VALENTINE DREAM, who was creditable enough in trials, has to be considered.
Selections (4) Haega Tteunda (12) Bugyeong Dolpung (5) Enter Way Queen (6) Valentine Dream
Next Best 9, 10, 3, 2
Outsiders 1, 7, 8, 11
Fast Starters 3, 4, 6, 8, 12
Race 3: Class 6 / 1200M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 14:10 (KST)
Thomas Gillespie’s (9) MAJOR SLAM comes in following back to back 3rd place finishes and after disappointing at odds-on last start, can get the job done today. (11) TEXAS RUSH looks to be the main danger with an improved 3rd place last time out and can build on that today. (10) VICAR SARANG was 5th behind Major Slam last time and can go close again with (8) TAMNA CHEONHA and (7) DON’T STOP looking best placed among the others to improve on indifferent prior efforts.
Selections (9) Major Slam (11) Texas Rush (10) Vicar Sarang (8) Tamna Cheonha
Next Best 7, 12, 2
Outsiders 1, 3, 4, 5, 6
Fast Starters 9
Race 4: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 15:00 (KST)
Bart Rice’s (3) SILENT LAGO was beaten by (4) GREAT PEARL at this distance on March 25th but has shown enough to suggest she does have a win in her and while not the quickest starter, she has a strong finish and can make the breakthrough in this all-filly affair Great Pearl must be considered too but the main danger may be (6) YEONGUNG CHULGYEOK. A pair of 3rd places is the closest she has come so far but she has raced in good company and looks nicely in here. (2) YEONGGWANGUI JAEIN and (5) SARATO MYEONGUN look capable of improvement while (7) TIME CASTLE scored an unexpected 3rd place on her second start last month and can go well again.
Selections (3) Silent Lago (6) Yeongung Chulgyeok (4) Great Pearl (5) Sarato Myeongun
Next Best 2, 7, 12
Outsiders 1, 8, 9, 10, 11
Fast Starters 2, 12
Race 5: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:50 (KST)
(10) V DIVA was one of very few favourites who got up on March 25th and she did it in style over 1000M. Up in class as well as distance today but a solid chance of getting another win. Another up in class following a maiden victory is (4) SVADILFARI. His triumph came at this distance and he too should fear few here. The third one up in class is (5) RAON BLUE but he is as yet winless and has more to find than the other two. (8) HUIMANG QUEEN has already registered a pair of 4ths at this level and looks dangerous. In a race with plenty of early speed, she’ll be a quick starter as will be (11) BLUE STORM, 3rd at class and distance on March 27th and a contender here. (7) PERFECT HUMOR was beaten by Huimang Queen on his first try at this level in February but returned to run a solid 4th last month and that can be matched today.
Selections (10) V Diva (8) Huimang Queen (4) Svadilfari (7) Perfect Humor
Next Best 11, 3, 5
Outsiders 1, 2, 6, 9
Fast Starters 2, 4, 5, 8, 11
Race 6: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 16:40 (KST)
Up in class having taken a similar all-filly event at class 6 a month ago, (6) JIBONG BLUE is favoured to come from just off the early pace and strike here. (3) RAON VERA beat three of these when winning at this level over 1200M in February and while she didn’t impress on her reappearance last month, she must be respected with an apprentice taking 2kg off. One of those Raon Vera beat in February was (5) QUICK FORCE. She showed plenty when getting her third 2nd place from five starts at the end of March and can go close again today. Also specialising in 2nd places is (9) ALBERT VICAR who is up in class having been runner-up in both outings to date while (4) PLOIT BALI is another who, while perhaps lacking the speed to win, should be close.
Selections (6) Jibong Blue (5) Quick Force (3) Raon Vera (9) Albert Vicar
Next Best 11, 4, 8, 2
Outsiders 1, 7, 10
Fast Starters 3, 9, 10, 11
Race 7: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 17:20 (KST)
(1) WORLD QUEEN has been no worse than 4th in six attempts at this class and she is favoured to finally get back in the winner’s circle here. The main danger is (3) MY ALICE. She can be forgiven last place in a Korean Oaks trial last month and should be far happier in this company today. (5) DAEHOYEOJANGGUN always comes close and while she may find one or two too quick again, she will be involved while (7) MACH CHAMP may have been beaten by a couple of these last month but can overturn that form today. Debut-maker (11) NO SMALL KOREA will attract attention due to being saddled by Busan’s top trainer Kim Young Kwan. She showed promise in her trial.
Selections (1) World Queen (3) My Alice (11) No Small Korea (5) Daehoyeojanggun
Next Best 7, 8, 4, 6
Outsiders 2, 9, 10
Fast Starters 3, 5, 7, 11
Race 8: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 18:00 (KST)
The smallest field of the day but a competitive one nonetheless. (2) SWEET MYEONGUN beat three of these when flying home late to win at class and distance on March 25th. The form was all over the place that day so we’ll need to be wary of reading too much into it but he does need to be respected. He beat (5) FIRST KING into 2nd that day and with the latter enjoying a 5kg weight advantage, there is a strong chance that result can be overturned here. Also dangerous is (6) PANGPANG HERO. He is yet to score in twelve outings but comes in following three consecutive 2nd places. He should get an uncontested early lead and will get few better opportunities to break his maiden. (3) CHOEGANG MONSTER, 5th behind Sweet Myeongun last time, and (7) SEUNGNI PARK look the best of the rest.
Selections (6) Pangpang Hero (5) First King (2) Sweet Myeongun (7) Seungni Park
Next Best 3, 1
Fast Starters 6
Race 9: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 18:30 (KST)
(9) RISING BRAVO is up in class having made all to win by a nose at this distance last month and he looks very nicely in to follow up. (8) CHOEGANGIJI is a regular money winner at this class and was a fast-finishing 3rd at the distance at the start of the month. With a slightly more enterprising ride, he could be winning this. (7) ROYAL IMPACT is never far away and will be involved here while (2) CHEONJI PARK raced wide – and altogether badly – last time out at this distance but can be given another chance here. Last year’s Oaks winner (1) JANGPUNG PARANG makes her first start of 2016. She performed solidly in three subsequent efforts following her Classic triumph and while a win looks tough, she is a strong contender for a money finish.
Selections (8) Choegangiji (9) Rising Bravo (1) Jangpung Parang (7) Royal Impact
Next Best 2, 4, 6
Outsiders 3, 5, 10, 11
Fast Starters 1, 4, 11
Race 10: Class 3 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 19:00 (KST)
(3) MORNING DAERO won at this class over 1200M, beating a couple of these, on March 20th. Although two previous attempts at a mile haven’t gone well, he gets another chance here and is the slight pick. A winner at class and distance in December, (9) BAEKDU looks the main danger while (2) SOUL BLADE – also a class and distance winner and with plenty of potential – returns after three months off and should be competitive. (8) TARIAT TALE and (11) BRAVO MARINE, both up in class, are the others to consider. (12) MR. JILJU, back after over a year out, is the wildcard.
Selections (3) Morning Daero (9) Baekdu (2) Soul Blade (8) Tariat Tale
Next Best 11, 7, 12
Outsiders 1, 4, 5, 6, 10
Fast Starters 1, 6, 12