The weekend’s racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with a ten-race card from 12:40 to 19:00. There will be racing in Seoul on Saturday and then at both Seoul and Busan on Sunday.
Click here for English race cards. Italian jockey Paolo Aragoni makes his debut in race 2. Here are notes on races 2-10:
Race 2: Class 6 / 1200M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 13:25 (KST)
(6) GIFTED SUN has shown improvement in each of three starts to date culminating in a 2nd place last time on March 25thand he is strongly favoured to score here. He should have too much for this field but (4) DANGCHAN JILJU will challenge him for the lead early and can stay on well. (11) BAEDARI GOSU was an encouraging 5th on debut earlier this month and should build on that today while (8) B.K. ONE, 2nd in a weak race at this distance in March, and (9) KWAEDO YEOGEOL, who improved on her second start three weeks ago, are the others to consider.
Selections (6) Gifted Sun (4) Dangchan Jilju (9) Kwaedo Yeogeol (11) Baedari Gosu
Next Best 8, 1, 10
Outsiders 2, 3, 5, 7, 12
Fast Starters 4, 6
Race 3: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 14:10 (KST)
(4) CAPE MAGIC beat three of these when finishing 2nd at this distance on April 1st and needs to be respected here accordingly. However, it wasn’t a strong race so we therefore may find ourselves tempted instead by (8) KWAEHAN YEONGUNG, who also comes in following a 2nd place last time but in stiffer company and on what was just his third career start. He started slowly that day but expect him to go forward much earlier this time and he has a solid chance. (3) GORYEOUI KKUM has shown promise with a 2nd and a 4th in two starts to date and can go well here. (12) BANJIUI YEOJEONSA was sent back to trial after a poor outing when well-backed in February. She flew through that trial at the beginning of this month and can’t be ruled out. (7) NOBLE WARRIOR, who seems to be getting some momentum going, is the other one to look out for.
Selections (8) Kwaehan Yeongung (4) Cape Magic (7) Noble Warrior (12) Banjiui Yeojeonsa
Next Best 3, 11 , 9, 1, 2
Outsiders 5, 6, 10
Fast Starters 2, 8, 12
Race 4: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:00 (KST)
(4) DAMNYANG JANGGUN was a seven-length winner of a class 6 race over this distance in February. Stepped up to 1400M for his first try at this class a month ago he was sent off as favourite but could only manage 3rd. Back at 1200M today though he is going to be very tough to beat and will be the strong favourite. If he is to be stopped (5) KWAEHAN MYEONGPUM may be best placed. She beat a couple of these when running 3rd on April 1st, continuing a string of solid recent results. (8) GUMPO DIVA races for the first time this year and in this company should be able to pick up where she left off from in the autumn. It’s pretty thin behind those with (6) COOL RUN and (7) GANGJA DAERO perhaps the best.
Selections (4) Damnyang Janggun (5) Kwaehan Myeongpum (8) Gumpo Diva (6) Cool Run
Next Best 7, 2, 9
Outsiders 1, 3, 10
Fast Starters 1, 4, 5, 9
Race 5: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:50 (KST)
(6) EOROK is up in class having landed her maiden win at the ninth attempt on March 25th. It was at this distance and there is no reason why she shouldn’t be able to cope with this level. She can go close. (5) UNFLAGGING HEART beat two of these when 2nd on April 8th and will look to get off to a fast start here and can go close while (3) CLEAN CHOEGANG has a 2nd and two 3rds among his last four outings and should be involved again. (2) YUSEONG STAR beat Unflagging Heart over 1200M in March and while slightly disappointing last start can be given another chance here. (9) SAEBYEOK STAR looks the other one to consider.
Selections (5) Unflagging Heart (6) Eorok (3) Clean Choegang (2) Yuseong Star
Next Best 9, 12, 11, 4
Outsiders 1, 7, 8, 10
Fast Starters 2, 5, 9, 12
Race 6: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 16:40 (KST)
Quite an open contest this but we’ll go with (13) GOLD SKY, 2nd at class and distance on April 3rd to go one better here. It often pays to follow Korean breds in this type of race at this time of year and that could be the case again today. Less than a length behind Gold Sky in that April 3rd race was (9) KWAESOK BARAM and he should come close again today. (5) SEUNGNI UNCLE MO is a class and distance winner already and will look to go forward early here as will (11) GREAT SONG, who did ok on his debut at the end of March behind Seungni Uncle Mo and should have come on for it. (1) BUGYEONG CHAMP was a solid 3rd last start and can match that today.
Selections (13) Gold Sky (5) Seungni Uncle Mo (9) Kwaeseok Baram (11) Great Song
Next Best 1, 10, 14, 4,
Outsiders 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 12
Fast Starters 5, 9, 11
Race 7: Class 5 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 17:20 (KST)
Three starts and three 2nd place finishes so far for (1) BLUE CAT, each time behind decent ones including Damnyang Janggun, who we saw earlier in race 4. She will lead early here and this is surely her best chance to make the breakthrough. (5) GARAK GONGWON beat (10) DOCHI last time out and those two look most likely to challenge the favourite while the up in class (7) SMART MARINE is capable of at least repeating the 3rd place he has scored in both his last two outings. Also up in class is (4) CHOEGANG EXCELLENT, having won at odds in excess of 100/1 on March 25th. He will struggle to repeat that today but does need to be afforded a bit more respect.
Selections (1) Blue Cat (10) Dochi (5) Garak Gongwon (7) Smart Marine
Next Best 4, 6
Outsiders 2, 3, 8, 9
Fast Starters 1, 9
Race 8: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 18:00 (KST)
It could be a quick double for Bart Rice here as (2) FOR MY SIS looks the slight pick of these. She beat (10) SEUNGNI GRAND when finishing 3rd at class and distance on April 3rd and has nothing to fear in this field. She will likely try to come from just off a pace that will probably be set by (4) TURBO ENERGY, up in class following his second win in four starts and also a contender here. (5) YEONSEUNG JILJU, disappointing at 1400M last month, will also go forward and has much better claims at this distance. Never a winner but a perennial placer, (11) YEONGGWANGUICHUBOK can place yet again, while (1) B.K. KING and (8) BAEDARI BOBAE are others to look out for.
Selections (2) For My Sis (5) Yeonseung Jilju (4) Turbo Energy (11) Yeonggwanguichubok
Next Best 8, 1, 10
Outsiders 3, 6, 7, 9
Fast Starters 4, 5, 8
Race 9: Class 3 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 18:30 (KST)
Small field here and following on from a 2nd place at class and distance on April 8th, (1) GOSOK JILJU is favourite to land this one. That performance was much improved on his other recent starts and he can keep the momentum going here. (5) REALLY KING beat (8) JUNGANGUI JANGSU and (4) CHEONJI HERO at his distance in February but hasn’t raced since. (6) GLOBAL KING didn’t go well at 1200M last start but should be more comfortable today. (7) USEUNGIJI has struggled in his last two outings but should go right back here and the race could set itself up quite nicely for him. He has a chance.
Selections (1) Gosok Jilju (6) Global King (5) Really King (7) Useungiji
Next Best 8, 4
Outsiders 2, 3
Fast Starters 2, 6, 8
Race 10: Class 2 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 19:00 (KST)
(8) EVANGELINE is up in class following her fifth win in eight starts at the start of this month. It was at this distance and she still looks to have plenty of potential for development which can begin with victory here. (1) SUPREME MAGIC finished off her three-year-old campaign with a pair of victories last autumn but hasn’t raced since. She looked sharp though in a trial earlier this month and should be considered as one of the main dangers to the favourite here. Other dangers include (12) JIBONG SARANG and (2) YUSEONG FIGHTING, both proven winners at this class with the former slightly favoured here while the latter will almost certainly set the early pace. (6) ACE CHEONBOK was one of four of these beaten by (11) CHOEGANG BULPAE at class and distance at the end of March but is another with potential for improvement. (4) FRENCH BOY was another of those beaten that day. He may just have found his level at class 2 after winning five of his first eight but he can’t be ruled out just yet.
Selections (8) Evangeline (12) Jibong Sarang (1) Supreme Magic (2) Yuseong Fighting
Next Best 6, 4, 11, 9
Outsiders 3, 5, 7, 10
Fast Starters 2, 3, 4